What went so wrong?

What went so wrong?

inb4 "that's such a Britta thing to say"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BTe2773N9U8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It created too few quality memes for one.

that's such reddit thing to say

What went wrong is Americans being too unintelligent to appreciate quality. TV shows like Community can't survive on an audience that likes Modern Family.

Dan hired a literal redditor (Megan Ganz) to start writing and listened to reddit far too much after season 1. He also was a complete cunt and couldn't keep the good writers.

The characters turned into caricatures of themselves or just changed into completly different characters

Way too many concept episodes

Barerly any actual school episodes

Loosing cast members weakened the show alot

All the stupid romance plots

>The characters turned into caricatures of themselves

But flanderization of characters is an unavoidable fact when a show lasts multiple seasons.

Name one show that has managed to avoid flanderization.

What went wrong? Nothing went wrong
Community followed the sitcom lifespan trope to the bitter end.
For show all about meta-jokes at the expense of the genre, I would have been disappointed if we had gotten 6 seasons of season 1

It was 6 good seasons, but there's a severe lack of a movie I reckon.

The Office characters got flanderized but to a much less obnoxious degree

Community characters, especially Britta, started to become unlikable around season 3

Bullshit. Community is nothing like typical sitcoms. Pretty much every second of it was quality. Even Season 4, which was definitely its low, is far better than any other sitcom every made.

Honestly, just because it fought tooth and nail for its life, it doesn't make it a mainstream show. And let's face it, that's the whole reason why you all are criticising it. Unlike the show itself, you are the definition of the trope audience, who just wants something to be wrong.

I've liked sitcoms before and after Community, but I honestly think comparing it with any other quality-wise is crazy talk. It shits all over anything else on its category, both mainstreams like Seinfield, Friends, etc., and more niche classics like IT Crowd.

Seriosuly what went wrong with Britta? She turned into a complete retard that everyone seemed to feel sorry for.

Person of interest has avoided flanderization.
Apart from the annoying dyke-service regarding root I think it holds up.

come to think of it, does flanderization even apply to non-sitcoms?

Harmon detected!

Have you tried not being a lazy fucking writer? Develop your characters, don't just pick three words that could apply to then and say "let's portray the most extreme version of [word] we can show because that's funny!".
Fucking Americans I swear on me mum.

I've never watched community.

Which has better writing this or arrested development.

fell in love with the smell of their own thoughts and got too repetitive and meta

>hey paintball worked well, lets do it again
>that was great lets do it again but make it wacky
>alright lets do it again because fuck it

I'm trying to finish season 6 but it's so tedious and unfunny. Harmon obviously didn't give a shit about it at this point, actors as well. You can feel the low budget. No concept episodes. No feelings either. Characters barely interact. Half the cast is gone. Brie doesn't even show her tits anymore. It's so painful. Why didn't they just let it die on season five, which was still somewhat decent?

Veep is in season 5 and no one has been flanderized at all.

>Why didn't they just let it die on season five
Because six season and a movie.

Although I doubt we will ever see that movie

I couldn't get into Veep. the characters range from unlikable to obnoxious. i get they are politicians and thats kinda the point, but who am I interested in or rooting for?

We will.

This kind of bizarre fanboyism is like something you'd read on their reddit page.

And this whole vague, unfounded criticism is like something you'd read in fiction. The textbook case of trope complaints based on nothing.

>The characters turned into caricatures of themselves or just changed into completly different characters
Agreed. Abed had it worst though. He pretty much went from quirky weirdo with slight Aspergers to a complete retard who goes to catatonic state because his favorite show is on hiatus and constantly breaks the fourth wall (because meta!)

>Way too many concept episodes
Yea. For me, the main problem with the latter seasons was too many concept episodes. It was fine in season 1 with the mafia episode and paintball stuff, but by season 5 everything was some over-the-top homage to something and it fell kind of flat.

When rewatching I usually quit after season 3 (when it should have ended). First two seasons are GOAT level comedy and third is watchable (but hit-and-miss at times) but I couldn't care less about the last two seasons.

shouldve killed this show after season 2. season 3 was shit and it got worse from there.

I'd say about equal desu.
If you liked Arrested Development you'll like this aswell.

Not enough chubby Brie scenes.

>What went so wrong?
The year of the gas leak.
Lost Troy, Pierce, and Shirley
Britta was turned into an idiot. She worked better as an "Activist Without A Cause" failure, rather than an outright "Sucks at Everything" failure.
Jeff/Annie shipping.

why is he so FUCKING handsome with such a weak jaw? He's fucking cheating

Is Frankie gay or nah?

Also, its a shame that Elroy was introduced so late.

Don't say that, user.

>Is Frankie gay or nah?
Probably, but I don't think it mattered much to her characterization.

Yep, they went full retard with the high concept stuff. It was nice in moderation not every fucking episode.

season rankings are consecutive. anyone who puts 5 and 6 above 4 are a Harmonfag

I'd still rate 2 above 1.
Not by a whole lot but 2 had overall the most memorable episodes.

I don't like or watch Dr Who or any of that shite, so I appreciate many of the references passed me by, but fucking hell all that Inspector Spacetime/dream stuff was painfully unfunny and a real chore to watch. I gave up part way through series three or four I think.

Chang should have stayed a teacher (or not become a student).
Britta went from a flawed but goodhearted rebel to a retard buzzkill.
Pierce went from an old and grumpy, but still smart man who occasionally provides life advice to the younger characters to a retard douchebag.
Abed became a total meme.

The Dean was always great.

>Britta went from a flawed but goodhearted rebel to a retard buzzkill.

No no, that's the best part.

Season 6 really was completely soulless and depressing. Something about the lighting and cinematography made it seem so dim and washed out and artificial.

That said, Keith David's character was one of the best the show ever had, and it would've been great to see him in some of the genuinely fantastic episodes of the first two seasons. The chick who was in Criminal Minds was pretty good too actually.

The Dean was the best character hands down, followed by Troy, Elroy, and Pierce

That's because they started out flanderized. Its great though. Veep is the only show where the new characters that got added in later seasons are just as good as the original cast.

Its a hard show to get into. I only got into it because my brother loves it and after a few episodes it just clicked. You just need to go in knowing that instead of jokes they just write insults and that's the whole show. Its nothing but an abuse showcase.

She always was.

She just used to be better at pretending.

>gay dean starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=BTe2773N9U8

>Chang being anything other than SeƱor Chang was cringe and hard to watch
>Flanderization
>Became less about the character development and more about how raw memes can be generated from said characters
>Took away the comfort of the first two and a half seasons and turned it into le meta meme bullshit episodes
>I don't need to be reminded that Shirley has 3 kids and that Annie had a pill problem every episode
I actually liked season 5 and the direction it was taking, but I can understand why people didn't like it. As for Britta, I never like her and she was annoying from the start desu.

kys

Flanderization is merely a character coming into their own. It's not a bad term. If anything, it shows that characters GROW.

lmao no.it takes all the characterizations that fans seemed to respond too originally and exaggerates them by tenfold and that is what they are for the rest of the serie.

its the complete lack of progression and pandering to an audience before the characters even had time to grow.

Basically this
Just like writer who wrote True Detective saw how much people liked Rust so in season 2 he made all the main characters Rust, the same happpened with Community and the paintball episode
It used to be people attending a shit school and it turned into people just doing any random shit the writers can think about them doing

Season 5 had some comfy grown up stuff going on, but Season 6 just killed any motivation the show had to go anywhere except meta memes.

Seinfeld. The characters barely change from S3-S9.

Same with Arrested Development.

well brits killed utopia so

Are you kidding me? Over half the episodes of season 5 was concept episodes, Season 6 was way more grounded

And the Brits killed Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

not him but i prefer the meme episodes;l to all of the romance and personal drama,I didnt like it when it was too wacky either like when chang took over greendale.this show needed the perfect ratio of wackiness and realism in order to be good.

alison brie tiddies

Arrested Development by a long long shot

They just had to go and BLACK Britta. Just had to do it

>implying that's wrong

Good thing Donald Glover is the whitest black guy there is then,

It was the weirdest thing when he was in Civil War basically playing the exact same character.