Midnight Special

Can we talk about this? Just finished it and found it incredible.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight_Special_(train)
cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/index.pl/2016
io9.gizmodo.com/the-director-of-midnight-special-wishes-youd-stop-calli-1767615216
youtube.com/watch?v=OgF2lbAL6RA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

shit

The whole movie seemed pointless. He said he was from another world and in the end he was, and you see it. Well ok then. Also I don't understand the title. Is it based on a book where the title is explained or did I miss something? I thought the acting/pacing was alright but why is everyone so miserable? Like there is only one type of character in this movie, the miserable guy/girl. They're all so depressed.

It was stellar but I'm not gonna really waste my time trying to engage in meaningful discussion on this worthless shit hole of a board.

If we ever get /film/ we can discuss the great use of color or how well the different vehicles were chosen as a visual metaphor for fatherhood

Good point.

>different vehicles were chosen as a visual metaphor for fatherhood
Searching for horns on a horse's head.
The movie was shit, deal with it.

you can read my points here

If you liked Michael Shannon in this you should check out Young Ones and Bug

I loved it OP, but it's a pleb test. No point in bringing it up here when it just came out on torrents.

Anyone else sick of these M Night Shyamalan wannabe directors that keep popping up?

they are like a weird fucking mix between spielberg, shyamalan and synder

>Jeff Nichols
>wannabe Shyamalan

all this pleb

Yeah because Nichols is such an established director. I bet you like Richard Kelly too.

bit of a s-l-o-w-b-u-r-n-e-r

Fucking hell, I hope you're underage. Jeff Nichols is nothing like either of those filmmakers you fucking retard. At least watch Mud or Take Shelter before chatting shit.

It just felt sort of pointless though. It's nice to make a sci-fi story about fatherhood but many elements are just glossed over like the cult with Sam Shepard. It also doesn't help that Joel Edgerton was shit as usual.

I was a little disappointed but I guess I only have myself to blame. You know you're in trouble when the most dynamic character is played by Adam Driver.

This is all wrong.

>driver
Not based Shannon

Yea nah

He seemed like he was holding back a little to be honest. And I stand by Joel Edgertone being shit. How the fuck does he keep getting cast?

>implying /film/ won't just be another Sup Forums

Is a decent rip out?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight_Special_(train)

>Jeff Nichols' next film is the drama Loving, It stars Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga as Richard and Mildred Loving, the plaintiffs in the 1967 U.S. Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia, which invalidated state laws prohibiting interracial marriage.
That sounds fucking awful. What the hell, Jeff?!

le "film buffs" will pretend it's good because Nichols made good movies before

instead of realizing that good directors can make flawed, subpar films too, ciné-illiterate peasants will cling to the idea that it's actually a misunderstood "patrician" masterpiece

this behavior is most often seen with redditcore directors such as Malick or Refn

this was the movie that super 8 wanted to be

Jeff Nichols is another Shyamalan Spielberg wannabe with no originality. He literally stole ideas straight out of Shamamalan's movies. He has made like 3 movies and only started out recently, has a mediocre record and you act like he's an establish well-respected master of his craft. discussion over go to bed kid

I'd say it's Nichols' weakest movie yet.

Take Shelter and Shotgun Stories are both great but I didn't think this one was all that worthwhile. It was completely fine but it really does feel like a needless retread of E.T./Close Encounters. It's decent.

Not him but it was pretty clear if you're not retarded that it was a film about fatherhood, like all of Nichols' films
Nichols himself has said it was inspired by him listening to his son through a baby monitor and that's where he got the idea of the watchers from

>Yeah because Nichols is such an established director.

He's better than Terry at this point.

It got shit reviews at Cannes
inb4 >Cannes

Thicc Kirsten

>better than the guy who made 1 good movie 40 years ago

great achievement

It sounds excellent. What the actual fuck has happened to this board?

Um that's pretty obscure . Is the train supposed to be some kind of allegory for the connection to his home world? That would make a lot more sense if it was in any referenced in the film. Seems like maybe they cut something from the movie.

Super 8 is better becaus at least that one had cute c*nny with thick juicy thighs and based Coach T

Sounds like he wants an Oscar.

>It sounds excellent.
Why? Because it talks about such relevant and important issues? It's a shameless attempt to get Oscars and you know it. Nichols definitely sold out.

>It got shit reviews at Cannes

No it didn't.

super 8 wanted to be even worse?

The only thing I didn't like was the other dimension looked like unused assets from Tomorrowland. I was expecting something much more alien and ethereal.

>Malick
>redditcore

first thing I thought too. it was literally Tomorrowland again.

Mud was bad too, it's just remembered as good because the torrent came out at the height of the McCounaghey memefest. Take Shelter is one of the best movies of the decade but everything else he did is forgettable.

Shotgun Stories is good too

OK maybe not shit, but it wasn't warmly received, which is quite an achievement nowadays when the film is about race relations
cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/index.pl/2016

I liked Mud a lot but I might not like it as much if I watched it again. I just remember the end being totally brutal and sort of a contrast to the rest of the movie.

I've never seen a Nichols film before, and I straight-up thought this was life-changing. Hadn't seen anything that provoked such raw wonder in years.

Maybe I'm just a pleb faggot but it was fucking amazing for me.

>Jeff Nichols is another Shyamalan Spielberg wannabe with no originality

That's demonstrably false. You're obviously not well-versed in film, saw this movie and nothing else by the guy, made your uninformed opinion known and now you're sticking to it. It's see through. Critique the film all you like, but you can't falsely characterise the filmmaker when you so clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

have you not seen E.T.?

The movie was fucking dope. I'm really sick of people complaining about movies being somber as if that inherently means =/= fun or not enjoyable. Like was Anne Hathaway's arc in Le Miss sad ergo Snyder musical?

I swear this place is mainlining rotten tomatoes. Unfuckingplug.

I like how the ratings are actually roughly indicative of the films' quality throughout the years but all the awards are just seemingly given out completely randomly to fucking trash

except this movie is certified fresh on reddittomatoes

The themes and tone of this film really are nothing like ET. It's like Starman meets Close Encounters, if you have to compare it with something else, but you shouldn't.

Mate this movie made Batman v Superman look like Quipman vs Superquip

It is impossible for me not to compare it to movies like E.T. and Close Encounters as it is so clearly influenced by Spielberg. It's especially hard not to make the comparison given the shift in Nichols' career that led to this movie. I'm not sure why he chose to make it.

You can't compare this with ET because ET was unique this movie isn't

>it's a they actually show the "aliens" instead of just leaving it up to the viewer's imagination episode

I couldn't shake the feeling among the family that they had never actually met before this event. I thought it was just my presumptions at first, but I've seen a lot of other people say the same online. Something about their whole relationship seemed a tiny bit off and cold

That said, Michael Shannon's stoneface breaking to smile at the boy in the end made me cry

>underage
>lists movies that were released in the past 5 years

ok son

how the fuck I'm supposed to care for a bunch of sad logs that I don't even know why they are sad and a creep kid

I haven't seen it all the way through, no.

From what I have seen they aren't really comparable

Seems like you may be retarded.

They are his most recent movies other than the one we're discussing and he's only made like three or four you fucking idiot.

what in the fuck

E.T. is one of the best children's films of all-time my man. And it along with Close Encounters are a pretty clear inspiration for Midnight Special. Even some of the lighting echos Spielberg's.

you can't compare them because ET is great and ME isn't

>I haven't seen it all the way through, no.
>ET

Get the actual fuck out.

They're his only other movies

>alien is just trying to get back to his home but the government wants to get him
>nothing like ET

lad just because you start throwing buzzwords like tone and themes around doesn't make you right by default

There's Shotgun Stories too, but that's non-studio?

This movie was a pleb filter, if you thought it was as good as his other work you're a pleb.

>plot is story

Retarded all the way down.

Tell me one scene frpm this movie as powerful as A Ride in the Sky

the guy who hasn't seen E.T./Close Encounters is arguing against their quite explicit influence on a movie he has seen

this is definitely an argument that should continue

I have a fuckhuge backlog of shit to watch.

I'm gonna watch ET and Midnight Special back to back tonight for comparison.

io9.gizmodo.com/the-director-of-midnight-special-wishes-youd-stop-calli-1767615216

>director acknowledges the influence of Spielberg
>Sup Forums neckbeard who has never seen the Spielberg movies argues against them having any impact despite not knowing what they are like

dude what the fuck

also if you want a good Nichols movie then check out Shotgun Stories or Take Shelter

You should be watching ET right now.

I'm not arguing that, the fuck are you talking about?

I've no doubt they influenced it, I'm just saying the feeling I got from Midnight Special isn't really what I got from ET.

Like I said though I'm gonna try and do a comparison tonight so yeah.

Is this one of those things where the MC is the intelligent outsider kid that likes comic books and superheros?

that shit bores me to death

Did they actually make a feature-length film about the epilogue to the Twilight Zone movie?

You're talking to different people. There's a Spielberg influence, for sure. More Close Encounters than ET though. By far.

Also it is to Starman what Drive is to Thief:
youtube.com/watch?v=OgF2lbAL6RA

not really
but it's not a good movie

Well I have been stressing that it is both E.T. and Close Encounters for most of this thread. It reminded me more of E.T. on a fundamental plot-level and Close Encounters more in other regards. It liberally borrows elements from both though.

The tension in the movie is excellent, but if there was any expectation on Nicholl's behalf that there would be subtlty in terms of the sci-fi elements, then he didn't pull that off.

The kid has crazy powers and admits to being from an alien dimension that he goes to at the end and you see and you see all the other aliens and its just so uninspiring, its like concept art drawn by an automobile manufacturer.

Really left a sour taste in my mouth. If you had seen the dome over Florida but not actually seen inside it, and hinted that what everyone saw was insane, that might have been less anti-climactic.

Great until the last 10 minutes.

This is the definitive creepy alien kids franchise.

> there are people who didn't watch ET and Close Encounters
that is the only reason why someone can like this movie
Nigga I'm pretty sure actual aliens have watched ET and Close Encounters

But I already saw the Simpsons episode

I know, I know.

If it helps any I went on the ride at Universal once

NIGHTCORE

Good actors (including the kid for a kid actor), Slow burning ambigious story, Terrific soundtrack, captures a similar feel to drive, Good movie.

Ambiguous for like the first half maybe. Even then its still fairly obvious that he is just an alien and not spiritual or anything like that.

Nightcore is fucking dope

But its ambiguous about who the aliens are

>anime shit that 13 year olds are into

fucking apply yourself

I drive.

No we were talking about films that take place primarily at night, typically fetishizing city life and car culture in the process.

I have a list, if you want me to go full autism.

But its totally dull, and the reveal is just bland. If they never showed us and maintained that ambiguity it might be interesting, but all that goes away by the end. They tell us/show us everything we could care about knowing and its not the same.

that cgi was so cringeworthy. i 3d model for a living and lost all immersion during a scene that was supposed to be awe-inspiring. looked like concept art for a future city thought up by high schoolers.

go and put "nightcore" into google

you have gone way beyond full autism

well memed

>the different vehicles were chosen as a visual metaphor for fatherhood
Explain