How long before a 70s movie can top GOAT lists like 40s and 50s movies do (Citizen Kane/Casablanca/Vertigo)?

How long before a 70s movie can top GOAT lists like 40s and 50s movies do (Citizen Kane/Casablanca/Vertigo)?

Other urls found in this thread:

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You have to think about why certain movies top those lists. Kane is enormously influential, Casablanca is the epitome of old Hollywood charm, etc. A movie like the Conversation is fantastic but doesn't have that extra "something" to make everyone love it

And Godfather and Taxi Driver already rank near the top of any respectable canon, if that's what you mean

good post

>Godfather and Taxi Driver already rank near the top of any respectable canon, if that's what you mean

It is, but rarely if ever does any canon deign to have The Godfather in the #1 spot.

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm
This is a tallied list of any "greatest movie list" ever, and the Godfather is at #6.

Arguing about which movie should be called the best over a handful of other undeniable masterpieces seems really futile

>people putting Part 1 above Part 2

1 is the better film. 2 is just like extras from the book that didnt make it plus Michael's rehash of a plot. Don Corleone's youth was interesting to see but not all that compelling or important, and again, Michael's arc doesnt really go anywhere new from the conclusion of the first. The Fredo stuff is the only really interesting bit.

Part 2 is the exact same movie as one without any of the memorable parts. Michael's arc is done at 1, we know all we need to know about Vito, it hits all the same major plot points. The few thing 2 really does differently (Fredo and the flashbacks) are the only parts anyone remembers

These have always been high at Sight & Sound polls:
The Godfather (1972)
The Godfather Part II (1974)
The Mirror (1975)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Taxi Driver (1976)

Short answer is never. 1970s are done. Films from that era are ranked. The only reason we will see new films from 70s appear high in rankings is only due to increasing retardation of voters.

>Arguing about which movie should be called the best over a handful of other undeniable masterpieces seems really futile

Not what I'm arguing. It's just that it took decades for Vertigo to displace Citizen Kane on the Sight & Sound poll, and I'm wondering if a film from the 70s could displace that in a shorter period of time.

Part 1 is the better film.

Vertigo is great but in no way more important than Vertigo. The only reason it beat CK is because S&S wanted that to happen because everyone was tired from seeing it #1 all the time. Also they asked 800 retards all over the world instead of 100 really good critics. So in 2022 they might ask a million people to vote and you will see Pulp Fiction at #1 if that's what you want.

more important than Citizen Kane

I've seen this flick and The Network been shilled lately, am i missed something?

The best decade of American cinema.

I think you're looking at it by age instead of the reasoning why it was voted #1.

They really did ask a bunch of nobodies for their poll, especially the directors one. I get wanting to be diverse and ask critics/directors from all over the world, but the majority seemed to be literally whos

No, heaven forbid people talk about good movies, it must be a conspiracy by advertisers to sell a 40 year old movie on Sup Forums

>shilled

Fuck off adults are talking

Importance and greatness aren't the same. Snow White is more important than all the Disney animation that came after, doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

>shilled
Take the memes back to >>>/reddit/, kiddo

>I think you're looking at it by age instead of the reasoning why it was voted #1.

Yeah, it seems clear to me things only stay at the top of these lists due to seniority and received wisdom.

If we're talking about S&S they usually vote for most innovative film production, not plot or story. This is serious poll.

I won't say that's untrue, but CK and Vertigo are only 17 years apart. For all intents and purposes they're roughly the same age. I don't think Vertigo needed to be 60 years old to top a movie that is 70, they had both long since been canonized and the switch can easily be attributed to changing tastes and trends

>only 17 years apart

That's the better part of a generation, I don't think that can be overlooked.

I've not heard that before. My assumption has always been that it's more about art than craft.

Fucking this. Part 2 is like filler that was cut from part 1.

You could be talking about Rocky II also.

not that user but it was in many ways just another sequel cash-grab, but with top tier talent (minus brando who declined)

It's all about craft. If you do research you will see that all top films like Citizen Kane, The Rules of the Game, Battleship Potemkin etc are praised for innovative filmmaking techniques.

>The Rules of the Game,

Well deserved inclusion on the top of a lot of these lists, really one of the greats.

New Hollywood is overrated crap, and most of these lists of established classics are not anything people take seriously.

Right, but it is praised for very early use of deep focus and long takes, not the story. At least in S&S.