Cricket becomes most popular sport in Australia

>Cricket is Australia's current number one participation sport after record numbers picked up a bat and ball in 2015-16, while almost one quarter of all players are female, the National Cricket Census has revealed.

>A record 1,311,184 people played cricket across Australia in 2015-16, an 8.5 per cent increase on 2014-15 – placing cricket at No.1 as the current top participation sport in Australia.

>Women's cricket at the highest level went from strength to strength last summer with the success of the Women's Big Bash League and that success is being reflected at grassroots level, where participation reached record figures in 2015-16, growing nine per cent to 314,936 players.

>Overall, 24 per cent of all cricketers in Australia are female, with 581 girls and women’s teams playing traditional, 11-a-side cricket at clubs across the county.

>Sutherland said the record participation numbers followed record attendances and television audiences last summer. "We had a considerable 2015-16 season with more than 1.7 million Australians attending international cricket and the men’s and women’s Big Bash League, making last season the country’s most attended cricket season on record.

cricket.com.au/news/cricket-australia-census-participation-numbers-women-men-children-james-sutherland/2016-08-23

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gacZHv3uArQ
bbc.com/news/world-europe-36461853
youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3AXzZqg2k
youtube.com/watch?v=LmwRCMCd2b8
youtube.com/watch?v=or7mY9yUgyI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

/afl/ on poocide watch

cricket is absolutely baffling to me, it's like they saw baseball and tried to make it even more boring and uninteresting

yes I know cricket came first and that makes this sport even more pathetic

PLEASE

cricket is comfy tbqhfam

>mfw shitcunt Greek and Italian wop cunts would arguing with the umpire after getting dismissed in local cricket

$20 anytime you see some shistos pezza cunt surname on the card there'll be some sort of unneeded on-field drama

I played against a few Hellenic teams over the last few years and they've been pretty decent blokes.

They all wore shirts that were too tight and they left about a thousand pistachio shells in the pavilion, though.

Australian Rules Football is STILL our national sport and nothing will change that, especially not participation rates.

cricket is gay

>only one good player on the Ausfailian team
>is a wog
convicts will defend this

T20 cricket is pretty entertaining. Test cricket is the worst though, it lasts for 5 days.

>national sport
>is COMPLETELY irrelevant in the 1st and 3rd most relevant states in the country

kek

KEK

K E K

no. games last DAYS.

t20's are the same duration as a spicswing game my Big and Strong friend

Test cricket is the perfect sporting contest ever crafted.

gr8 ba8 ma8

>implying a millennial user like myself cares about either sport.

Terrible internet speeds really has deluded you guys down unda.

>implying cricket won't be dead in 25 years

>devoting more time to a boring sport only indians care about

Sad!

t. goan Alberto Barbossa

>only Indians care about
Apparently not.

I meant besides us, no one else really cares.

You guys need to branch out too, soccer is easy to learn and other poor countries are good at it.

t10 will save cricket

>2nd most popular sport in the world
>played on every continent
>will be the most popular sport in Germany within 20 years

>tfw afghanis were laughing at the players physiques in a WC qualifying match
pls no bully

Why do you keep doing this? It's weird.

kek, there's got to be 11 good players out of a billion there

>most popular sport in Germany in 20 years
The people invading Germany aren't South Asians but Arabs and Africans. They don't even know what cricket is besides the chirpy bugs at night.

incorrect

youtube.com/watch?v=gacZHv3uArQ

bbc.com/news/world-europe-36461853

Isn't tennis the most popular sport? I know literally nobody who plays cricket and a dozen or so who play tennis competitively.

How?

Poor cunts don't play tennis.

genuine question

when was the last time you left your house?

Here NZ 80% play cricket are indian/paki

Sad really

what's sadder is they still can't get into the NZ team

> literally the sport invented to keep crickets fit over the winter

SO Germany really doesn't give a shit if you are arab or not anymore. Open border policy for all brown people.

Yesterday why? Who the fuck still plays cricket anyway?

You guys didn't have weight rooms or jogged? You literally had to invent a new sport because those other things didn't pop into your head about the subject of staying fit?

pls no bully

it just that inventing a new sport ti stay fit seems a tad over complicating the issue.

Remember at the time this was invented gyms weren't on ever corner and weightlifting and cardio programmes barely existed outside of boxing and competitive weight lifting.

It's only been the last 20-30 years that gyms have become mainstream here. No one I knew used to goto the gym.. nowdays everyone does.

Just admit you guys didn't use gyms because you hate Greeks.

Yet Australia is still fucking trash at it, humiliated by poo in loo's little brother Sri Lanka.

tip top fucking kek

Holy shit Germany pls start becoming even more cuck so we can start seeing you play ODIs and shit

it'll just be a different shade of UAE
what i really want to see is 6ft+ 150+ german fast bowlers desu

Wogs BTFO! :D

Picked up a cricket catalogue in the letterbox today, m8s. Nostalgia hit me for six.
>that cold wet feel when you accidentally piss in the box
>the mocking laughter of your teammates when they all have Kookaburra and Gray-Nicholls bats and you're rocking an SS Jumbo
>getting dropped further and further down the batting order
>where did all the time go, m8s, where did all the time go?

>National Cricket Census

desu soccer and rugby (and thus american football) only became proper sports so that cricketers had something to play in the winter.

>The National Cricket Census was conducted by independent researcher Street Ryan – who is also responsible for similar auditing of Australia’s other major participation sports, including AFL, NRL, ARU, basketball, hockey and golf – and measured participation over the last financial year, with a ‘participant’ defined as someone who takes part in at least four sessions of a formal cricket program.

nice try

Went to my first Boxing Day test match last year. Two beers in and I fell asleep. Never agaiin

>against the West Indies, a team most Sydney grade sides would beat
you're own fault for being an idiot tbqh

t. Will 'Willy' Williamson

>test cricket

Based T20 is putting the sport on its shoulders and bring in the millenials.

Test cricket will soon be exclusively played in golden oldies grade. Or better yet, banned altogether.

Yeah I know I'm an idiot for watching a shit sport

Do they actually have 'Portugese' people in Goa?

hahaahahahahaha

Not many I suppose. Just a handful of actual Portuguese. Nowadays Goa is controlled by the Russian and Israeli mafia (and the odd Nigerians).

>P-P-P-P-Please notice me Mr Big Strong Chinamen

kys threadcunt you pathetic piece of literal dog shit

It's time to end your miserable masquerade of """""football"""""

I went to school with an Indian guy from Goa who had a Portuguese name for some reason

Did they cuck you guys by giving you European names?

>The Census also revealed a 28 per cent increase in multicultural participation, a 40 per cent increase in Indigenous participation and 70 per cent increase in disability participation from the last census.

you are absolutely seething right now

>t. Bilal Mallah

Cricket seems pretty gay, it's considered the closest thing to baseball which is also really gay. Basically both are for cock smokers

Indian Christians and Muslims have an identity crisis. They have Arab and Portuguese (western) names and they deny the fact that they have the same roots as all the other Indians.
Tbf to the Christians it's mostly the muzzies of the subcontinent who go "WE WUZ PERSO-ARABIC AND SHIT".

SQUASH all AusWORMS

The biggest sport i know the least about.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3AXzZqg2k

i don't get it

its an acquired taste
youtube.com/watch?v=LmwRCMCd2b8

Didn't read lol

What the fuck am I listening to.

It's like Australia is in some sort of alternate universe.

i suppose its because i grew up with it listening to this stuff all summer but I find this dry humour fucking hilarious

youtube.com/watch?v=or7mY9yUgyI

>2016
>Not being European champions of cricket

And we did it without importing a load of Indians and Pakis

Sydney's AFL team literally dwarfs any of the tinpot NRL clubs in NSW.

does the champion of divison two get promoted?

apparently they do

>didn't you go to a mates place and watch?
Top kek

>Baseball was invented in England
>Got exported to America and ditched for cricket

heh, enjoy your meme game. Nothing beats playing a sport for 5 days with reglar breaks for tea and cakes.

yeah turns out Melbourne is a shithole and there are a whole bunch of expats in Sydney

I've never met a Sydney-born Swans fan in my life

/BASED MIGRATION/

only a matter of time la

i think >we will win the 2018 t20 world cup

Is an cricketer a athlete?

>implying the Indian Cricket Council will let >you in

The ICC really should revert to its original name, Imperial Cricket Council is far more apt

>mfw

the winner of division one qualifies for the t20 world cup qualifiers