You do this, right?

You do this, right?

Never

Unless the album is shit, in which I'll start with the first one worth my time. But generally yes

How do YOU know its shit until YOU listen to it?

No I hear a catchy song/hit, listen to the album and am them generally disappointed by their discography

What if the first album is out of print and difficult to obtain compared to other later releases?

I have a psychic ability which allows me to peer into the future to a scenario where I listen to the album. If I don't like it, then I don't listen to it. However, I can still listen to the album in the future scenario despite the event not actually occurring in the "real" timeline, so in a sense, I can listen to an album without actually listening to it.

I can only use this power for determining if I'll like an album or not, so I can't peer into the future to see if I can, like, bet on blacks and win at card games all the time.

Not much point with Bowie is there, though? Some artists you skip the debut. Radiohead too.

How do YOU know its okay to skip the debt until YOU listen to it?

If I'm in to listening their whole discography then yes. Otherwise the most interesting looking one.

If you did this with Pantera then you'd never listen to any of their actually good music

I do it in reverse

no. why would I

P L E B

>it's a demo

I start with the latest. By logic, it should be their best since they have more experience, and any artist who fail at this doesn't even deserve to be heard to begin with

I go on RYM and start with the one with the highest rating/friend rating.

Of course. I'm no queer.

Always.

I did it with Ween and it was fantastic

I'll start with the most critically acclaimed or best rated.

>letting someone else think for you

I use various sources (metacritic, scaruffi, rym, mu...). If 99 out of 100 people think that an album is good, then it's probably worth a listen.
There's a lot of stuff out there, I don't have the time to listen to everything.

>start with the most popular/acclaimed album
>if i like it, i continue with their 1st album

>not starting with the best of:

t. non-creator

i start by finding out what kind of sound each album has, listen to the one that seems closest to my particular taste, and if i enjoyed it listen to the rest of them in no particular order

that's a good method too.

This, honestly. Then, I listen to the discography in chronological order

Its the same as an album.

Not listening to a discography in order is the same as putting an album on shuffle.

ok, enlighten me, how many artists actaully plan their entire discography from start to finish? how many plan the order?

it seems like you don't understand the fundamental concept of the album as a medium. I'll give you a hint- sometimes, a bit of though goes into the overall package to make it more presentable than just the individual tracks that make up said album.

>it's a Julian thread
kill yourself

nah, i listen to their highest rated on RYM and ignore the rest

No, it's totally not the same. An album is usually a coherent collection of songs.
What if a band/artist has a very large discography? Do you still listen to them in order even if early albums are immature juvenilia?

The majority of artists don't plan their albums lmao, the marketing division of record label company does that

The discography of an artist is more of a story than any album ever is

literally everyone ITT so far is a newfag holy shit

I pick randomly, or based upon the artwork and title. They're like an advertisement to the album

Then I go chronologically

I try not to do this because if the album is too good, the rest of their discog will look worse by comparison.

I usually take the contrarian route and start with maybe their second or third best rated album, something that's both good and popular but still has room for improvement.

As a method, it has its pros and cons.
But if you listen to a lot of different stuff, it's the only reasonable one.

Okay but what if it's MPP and you hate it, but you could be a Strawberry fan? Same goes with OKC and Amnesiac/Kid A idk

holy shit is that the real tourist

I don't remember his trip someone tell me

##frequency

oh...

just clicked on the board for the first time in three years, thought he was back

Absolutely no order. Whatever I get my hands on, I listen to. Every album should defend itself by itself, not "by context" or whatever.

> mfw I listened to Bowie & Co`s Tin Machine I and II before listening to Ziggy Stardust

I still prefer TM1 and TM2 over Ziggy, call the music police, I don`t give a fuck.

Ok

No, why would I? Should I sit through several albums of jazz if I want to listen to Herbie Hancocks funk material?

>listen in order
>end up being the entire thing in a sitting
>get burnt out
>never listen again

fuck you people, dont do this

Oh, neat.

Nobody told you to listen to a discography in one sitting.

the one I wanted to listen to was at the end

Shut the fuck up Tourist