You suck at guitar

We catalogue all the reasons shitty guitar players should switch to bass. I'll start...

>When you cant palm mute a six string you are insufficient at rhythm guitar and lead guitar is way beyond your ability, switch to bass.

Besides, after you get over your hurt pride, you'll find you have no trouble finding people to jam with as a bass player. What's more important to you, jerking off your ego, or actually participating in music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zO8FMYNZZis
youtu.be/v7kUsJPVnLc
youtu.be/_ss7WHOysng
youtu.be/5NgVi43cwqs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Now who ever made such a decision as this and ever made anything of himself?

muh solos

>be one of the best songwriters ever
>good bass player

which do you think made him successful

jerking off my ego is far more important to me desu

or you know stick with it until you get better

>We catalogue all the reasons shitty guitar players should switch to bass. I'll start...
And this is one of the reasons studio engineers have to suffer inept bass players and "fix it in the mix". What you're prescribing is wrong. What it does is it creates "musicians" who want to be cool and relevant and join a band, despite being technically inept and wanting to put the least amount of work as possible in.

>Be me
>Guitar player since 8 yo, now Im 26
>Study theory, composition, chord mods, etc
>Formed a band circa 2006
>Invite a recently made friend at high school
>He's starting playing guitar, so I teach him some basic stuff
>We disband but keep in touch
>I start playing bass since 2010, cause all bass players I know are incompetent, lazy retards
>Manage to be a decent bass player
>Start a new band, jazz-oriented
>Invite old guitar player friend
>He's still at entry-level
>All he does in band is imitate the bass progressions, literally copy+paste all my riffs
>tfw when I don't know how to kick him out of the band (cause muh old fella n shiet)
>All other members in band hate him and start hating me cause I invited him to join the band
>Now Im hating him cause he dissapointed me, he's been a lazy bastard since high school

Most guitar playas are lazy and just want to fit-in, like said

Thank you. Though I'm not quite sure how exactly does an entry-level guitar player work in the context of a (I presume) jazz fusion band. If you want to kick your friend out the nicest way possible, I'd suggest "making" the band you're in a full on jazz band. He'll just quit himself after a while and you can to back to playing jazz fusion. Being entry-level at any instrument and playing in a jazz band just doesn't work.

You can go back to*

just tell him how you feel dude

I wrote the tabs of the songs we've been composing and gave the to him, but as a guide so he could catch the scales, but he decided to just copy every fucking note. At that moment I realized he's a hack.

And you're right, hat's the only way he'll just quit without any worthless argument

He doesn't have the be on the level of Al Di Meola or Allan Holdsworth, but jazz fusion doesn't have to be that complex. It looks like he isn't willing to put any effort in.

Exactly, and we go back to the original point, most "musicians" just want to be "cool" and "relevant" by doing nothing for the music, and that is a major offense to the art and to all the people who are actually making big efforts to be better everyday, technically and creatively speaking.

So, kids, if you don't feel it, don't even try it, there are a lot of music nazis who will show you in a very rude way you are nothing but a mediocre player

I like your attitude. That's what makes music progress. I'm learning more and more jazz guitar and working on incorporating that into my own playing. I'm not in a band however, but I'll definitely record music when I get an audio interface and a pair of studio monitors. Do you have a Bandcamp page perhaps? I'd like to hear your music, if you've recorded something.

No bandcamp or soundcloud of my current project but I used to play with this band between 2013 and 2014 youtube.com/watch?v=zO8FMYNZZis
the guitar player was the composer and I feel a big respect for him

Keep on the good work, user, keep it real, music is a magic way of life.

>most "musicians" just want to be "cool" and "relevant"

College and University graduate here who has met and collaborated with ~300+ musicians, couldn't disagree more. Musicians love performing and throughout my years of eduction I was tasked with maybe 3 cover projects, the rest pure creativity. Every single person I met was passionate about performing music, nothing to do with looking cool or relevant. And I've never known a friendlier and laid back community in my life.

You are talking about bedroom players with very little motivation which are a minority.

>I wrote the tabs of the songs we've been composing and gave the to him, but as a guide so he could catch the scales
I mean you told him that tho right? Maybe he thought you were literally writing out his part

I've met a lot of passionate musicians and I try to stick with them as I feel the same passion for the music, but I was talking specifically about a friend who is to lazy to even learn how to read music properly, not just tabs.

I told him it was just a guide, but, again, he decided to just copy+paste.

>College and university graduate
I'd imagine that musicians at that level of education are perfectly capable of playing their instruments. Here's what I mean by someone trying to be cool and relevant and not wanting to put much effort in (the worst thing is, it's not just the bass player, at least not in this bands case):
youtu.be/v7kUsJPVnLc
youtu.be/_ss7WHOysng
youtu.be/5NgVi43cwqs

That band is really interesting. There are some noise rock elements in a jazz fusion context. I can see what you meant by having respect towards their guitar player.
>Keep on the good work, user, keep it real, music is a magic way of life.
Thank you. Music will always be a part of my life, in the sense that I'll record the music I hear in my head, but music won't be my source of incoming considering the country I live in, the genre of music I want to play and record and local bands struggling to make a living and/or quitting altogether.

Source of income*
This auto correct...

Or, you know, just do what everyone do. Learn a few chords and play rhythm guitar.
You can't smash a few notes in the bass and make it sound good basslines are either easy or complex, but you can suck at music in general and still play simple chords on the guitar.

Bass players need to be good, rhythm guitar players can be mediocre.

To be fair, that first video was a terrible venue. Can't put in an energetic performance when the audience are sat down 30 feet away. Gotta book some shitty nightclubs, and maybe there'd be a bit more stage presence.

Guitarist was okay tb2. Vocals bland but that matters far less in male bands.

Why don't black guys play guitar anymore?

Looking for a non-cucked answer here

You seem quite knowledgebale about instruments. I picked up a bass earlier this week and would like to know if you have any beginner advices ? While I have no previous experiences with string instruments, I used to play the drums for eight years.

Well as you can see in the video, we're all beaners and making a living as jazz musicians. Don't know where you are from but I can tell you a dedicated musician always finds his/her way

>bad muting
>switch to bass
recipe for disaster

if you switch a shitty guitar player to bass you'll just have a shitty bass player

Yes I suck at guitar but no one can tell with my set up

The first venue was a studio in the countries national TV station. Drummers performance was just emberassing considering it was on a national TV. She's gotten better, but it's still nothing special.

Well I suck at giving advices and teaching but you can start listening the oldbassfags like Charles Mingus, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Levin, Chris Squire, Dave Holland, Harvey Brooks, Gary Willis, etc. Their styles are unique and many and may inspire you to find your own sound. If you played drums in the past then you have a well developed sense of rythm and accent, two thing that a bass player really needs to know.

I'll check them out, thank you.

Nerves maybe?

Regardless yeah drummer has some talent to build on and oh god I've just noticed the bass guitar, vomit inducing. At the end of the day though they got up and performed and can only get better. Seriously lacking a rhythm guitarist for some energy though.