Style and Substance on music

I always see the statements
>Style over substance
>Substance over style
Can Sup Forums name a few artists that fit in the first and second statement?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.datpiff.com/mixtape/826777
elvinorta.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reminder that style over substance is always the way to go

>Style over substance
Kiss
David Bowie
AC/DC
NWA (most rap)
Syd Barrett

>Substance over style
Can
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Aphex Twin
Brian Eno

By the way there is a way of having slot of style and substance. I mentioned Bowie but he does actually have a few good records.

Examples of style and substance are
>Animal Collective
>Joy Division
>The Beatles
>Minor Threat
>Sonic Youth

>Bowie being style over substance

>Can being substance over style

What a fucking joke. Bowie has far more complex progressions involved in his music than any of that baby level shit Can has done. Particularly on Tago Mago, Can is the epitome of style over substance.

>Style over substance
something you like
>Substance over style
something you don't like

Well, I obviously fucked that abortion of a sarcastic post up

>Style over substance
Grimes
>Substance over style
Neon Indian

>asking Sup Forums
>about music

You might be retarded, dude.

lol what shit taste you have. Bowie is the poster child of style over substance. He dressed up as a fucking alien and pretended to be gay. He changed his look to suit what was popular.

What is substance in music even supposed to be? Isn't it all style? It's just sounds that either sound good to you or don't.

m.datpiff.com/mixtape/826777 THIS!

style IS substance and vice versa
extra-musical aesthetics matter, and a piece's architecture is just another way aesthetics/taste/style/etc manifests itself

>Style over substance
J Cole
>Substance over style
Unkle Adams

elvinorta.bandcamp.com/

i'm all about substance and style, i promise, you won't regret anything

style is substance

Bowie was literally style over substance: the artist

He jumped from trend to trend, all the while with that vain surface level "artist" image of pandering to idiots that would come to think watching wes anderson makes them artistic, the guy was a total hack and I cringe everytime someone tries to imply he was anything more than trendy consumerist mediocrity

>Can
>Bob Dylan
>Brian Eno
>not heavily invested in style

Funny how you talk about just his image and not his music. I don't give a fuck what these people look like. It's about the music for me, not your poseur shit.

Nothing Can made has the kind of progression a track like Life On Mars does. Can as a whole had pretty bad musicians outside of their drummer who had a very limited idea of what can be done with each sound/instrument. They weren't shit compared to their peers like Amon Duul II who knew how to get a lot out of each and every instrument they would have in their arrangement of skilled musicians, or Faust with their manipulation of different electronic sounds, or Neu! understanding of grooves.

Can has always been the band for memeposters who don't give a fuck about the music.

Again, a very surface level deduction of what Bowie had done. Maybe actually listen to the fucking music instead of listening to other people talk about the music.

the ONLY interesting album in Bowie's discography is Low and he didn't even make that record. Yes, Bowie does have some good records but none of them are original or groundbreaking. He literally just hopped onto the next trend to stay relevant.

Nobody's saying he made completely groundbreaking music here though. But the dude made music with a surprising amount of depth in it. Musically, not image, not celebrity, musically he's very obviously substance over style. You can go listen to a Beefheart track or a track like 21st Century Schizoid Man, and because of how they are stylized, there's an illusion to the casual music listener that it's far more harmonically complex than a track like Life On Mars. But a close listen shows that it's the opposite.

this post is style over substance

You've got neither style nor substance!

what the fuck is 'substance' in regards to music?

what a retarded thread

>Gay was popular in the 70's
No
>Problem with dressing up as an alien
Sure its fucking weird but that doesn't mean his music doesn't have substance

literally the opposite, though I like both artists, Grimes music has a lot more substance and not much that sounds like her comes out, whereas Neon Indian's music is very trendy sounding and doesn't have that much deep emotion attached to it (apart from a few songs)

>Style over substance
>Grimes
Translated: artists you dislike must have style over substance. That's bullshit. She has style AND substance. That's why she's so praised.

Let me know what you think of my newest album soundcloud.com/benjildn

>style over substance
Death Grips 100%

>Substance over style
This is pretty rare, I can't really think of artists that have a lot of substance but don't focus on style.

There's stuff like Tom Waits, but he still has a very specific, cultivated style, just not a conventional one, it's a very ugly and unpleasant style, but intentionally so. But maybe an otherwise ugly or unpleasant style chosen to fit the substance is the best example of Substance over Style?

They Might Be Giants is the only other artist that really comes to mind.

>Style Over Substance
Hawkwind
>Substance Over Style
Big Pun