/classical/

Post pieces you enjoy that you don't characterize as emotional.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqKpAHvrOjw
strawpoll.me/12256127
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
youtube.com/watch?v=tWnK5DImdlU
youtube.com/watch?v=p0SjnkssiSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IAVIZe5lKow
youtube.com/watch?v=LdYCSGSEHZ4
rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/a-guide-to-mahler/
strawpoll.me/12256820
youtube.com/watch?v=94LRaMC5qz4
youtube.com/watch?v=oC7t35Jv9uI
strawpoll.me/12257777
youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-hA-66ghs
youtube.com/watch?v=oP5tQZPisnw
youtube.com/watch?v=XHRjvK9syQc
youtube.com/watch?v=Cqfp06MLbeM
youtube.com/watch?v=mre-_wy7zSE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhN0RRlLhDg
vocaroo.com/i/s0H8yDxYIHNG
youtube.com/watch?v=RfaArG5hgiI
youtube.com/watch?v=5cxi7ztTakc
youtube.com/watch?v=Yi5kbDJDZDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AgoYjyJy6B4
youtu.be/vpaPWuDQUcc?t=2h18m10s
youtube.com/watch?v=4QB7ugJnHgs&ab_channel=ValentinaLisitsa
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjlz7yzqPPRAhVExFQKHSarB90QFggcMAA&url=http://torrentmag.net/hash/d8d4d0341862ef082de3b239ca04e1a1cb422830.html&usg=AFQjCNFZilt8zRuBBqkNMlD1CNmYWV2SQA&sig2=YFRFQuRhZPZdAPwKU7V11w
youtube.com/watch?v=J1TcToU2bO8
youtube.com/watch?v=0p-Mrr
youtube.com/watch?v=m53meo
youtube.com/watch?v=kV_zhe
youtube.com/watch?v=tJdLtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bkUq98oiyRc
youtube.com/watch?v=9gG0j-35Mgk
youtube.com/watch?v=dAh4cBW389k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can anyone recommend a good complete recording of Satie's Gymnopédies

Ciccolini

Queffélec or Rogé, complete is only about 8 minutes of music though

youtube.com/watch?v=YqKpAHvrOjw

There already was a thread

fuck off

>too much of a pussy to post in the other thread because it has le firetruck meme

Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it

Actuallly I didn't see it and thought you were just fucking with me. But that meme does suck.

strawpoll.me/12256127

Stockhausen is the only one I'd really call a troll.

?
none of them are trolling
especially not stockhausen because he 100% believed his own bullshit

Schoenberg and Carter made perfectly good music, and though Xenakis didn't, he at least tried. Cage may have been shit, but he was disgustingly sincere. Stockhausen, however, was clearly just fucking with us.

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

and here is a rare example of a truly clueless person

see

this guy sucks

petzold, petzposter or both?

just petzold. petzposter is good.

then you should stop posting petzold

It is good to post Petzold.

Hey guys, recently listed to some Russian composers. Really liked Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev and Dmitri Shostakovich. What mega folder would fit this style? and is there more stuff that I should try that are more Russian style? I'm really interested in Russian music.

Thanks for any help.

>actually using the mega links

>Post pieces you enjoy that you don't characterize as emotional.
youtube.com/watch?v=tWnK5DImdlU

Are Zelenkas Trio sonatas the Baroque Equivalent of Bartok's String Quartets?

youtube.com/watch?v=p0SjnkssiSQ

Romantic mostly, not sure any of the folders really fit. Try Kabalevsky, Tcherepnin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Glière, Gubaidulina

Yes, in the sense of no.

retard

Is this classical music?

youtube.com/watch?v=IAVIZe5lKow

It wasn't the last time you asked

Why post this again?

>tfw composers today don't whisk you away to faraway dream lands and fairy tale worlds anymore

Why is everything so edgy today? I want classical today to have happen to same magic as Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, Borodin, Ravel, Stravinsky, Debussy, and Delius

Red pill me on the mega links

youtube.com/watch?v=LdYCSGSEHZ4

Holy fuck Jules Verne was based as fuck

It's a tie but I'll give it to Cage because he was more talentless

STEAMPUNK
BLACK
MIDI

I asked for the best recordings of Mahler's Symphonies and got this:

1 - Kubelik
2 - Klemperer
3 - Horenstein
4 - Gielen
5 - Abbado Berliner Philharmoniker
6 - Tennstedt
7 - Tilson Thomas San Francisco Symphony
8 - Solti
Das Lied - Klemperer
9 - Abbado Berliner Philharmoniker
10 - Rattle

Is this right?

rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/a-guide-to-mahler/

no
1. boulez
2. boulez
3. boulez
4. boulez
5. boulez
6. boulez (but seriously)
7. boulez
8. boulez
9. boulez

gielen has the best 7th, idk who told you that his 4th was good
solti is shit
rattle is shit
abbado is shit
horenstein is shit too
klemperer is dogshit

and barshai has the best 10

shit taste starting from the pic you attached

upvoted!!!!!

I don't know if cage is a troll but his music can be used to troll people.

Favorite R. Strauss recordings? Pls nothing by Hackbert von Karajoke

god kate bush was so fucking hot

Composers like Mussorgsky seemed to write music for a purpose. Or it feels like it has a purpose to me. A lot of composers now do it as an intellectual exercise or they are so focused on individuality that they don't write anything which can emotionally move a large number of people. All this is subjective anyway and some people here may like new complexity....

NEW POLL strawpoll.me/12256820

>man shoulder blades
>man nose
>wobbly legs
>slut
shit tier

Recommend me some good level 1~4 piano pieces to develop technique and that don't sound boring. I can already play 6 Ecossaises WoO 83, Für Elise and preludes 4, 7 and 20 by Chopin.

what do you consider boring?

it's fine. you're going to get different answers from everyone since people conduct his works very differently. for an introduction to any composer i don't think recording selection is super important. you won't find Mengelberg's 4th particularly shocking unless you hear more "regular" versions first, for example.

of those picks i would probably suggest Solti and Rattle are the worst ones.

Metamorphosen is probably my favorite piece from Strauss, that or the Vier letzte Lieder. i like the Furtwangler recordings of both of those the most, but the Lieder is especially in terrible sound quality even though the singing from Flagstad is lovely.

Slowik in Metamorphosen for a stereo alternative. i'm not really sure which Lieder alternative i would listen to, maybe the usual suspects like della Casa or Schwarzkopf (some may suggest she overacts)

youtube.com/watch?v=94LRaMC5qz4

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=oC7t35Jv9uI

Name one conductor better than Karajan. You literally can't.

Yes you simply couldn't narrow it down to one when there are literally hundreds.

prove it

What's the most overblown, fantastical, incomprehensively intense piece you know?

varese ameriques

something by wagner

Messiaen's organ works maybe

What is the composer who conducted beethoven's 9th super slowly, I think it took almost 2 hours.

that was me
ama

Cobra

strawpoll.me/12257777

strawpoll.me/12257777

strawpoll.me/12257777

>Hackbert von Karajoke

Are there people who actually dislike Karajan? Why?

bad taste
high schoolers
your everyday contrarian

etc

Abbado

check out

Arensky
Tanayev
Gretchaninov
Medtner
Stravinsky
Gliere
Scriabin
Rachmaninov
Kalinikov
Glazunov
Liadov
Mussorgsky
Borodin
Balakirev
Kabalevsky
Glinka
Rimsky-Korsakov
Myaskovsky
Tcherepnin
Catoire

He tends to put a bland sheen on everything he touches, it's a well oiled featureless Karajan machine, he's the Spector of classical. Of course he can't be blamed for his obnoxiously sycophantic fans.

What do you think of classical music videos?

youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-hA-66ghs
youtube.com/watch?v=oP5tQZPisnw
youtube.com/watch?v=XHRjvK9syQc
youtube.com/watch?v=Cqfp06MLbeM

to add to this

stanchinsky
blumenfeld
lyapunov
alexandrov
konstantin eiges
bortkiewicz
sviridov
chesnokov
svetlanov
trifonov
sabaneyev
feinberg
dobrowen

other similar:
medins
amirov
taktakishvili
eller

those are shit

this official video is pretty good though
youtube.com/watch?v=mre-_wy7zSE

nah those are shit mate except for stanchinsky and lyapunov :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZhN0RRlLhDg

Schnittke

Bortniansky is great if you like Choir and don't mind Ukrainian

memes aside, you should really check out liapunov's piano sonata in F alongside with his other piano works such as his transcendental etudes and his barcarole op.46

Kek I remember that shit
The scherzo is 'Molto Vivace' and he plays it like an Andante

vocaroo.com/i/s0H8yDxYIHNG

This phrase sounds really really familiar to me for some reason, but I can't quite place it. Anyone feel the same way?

youtube.com/watch?v=RfaArG5hgiI
youtube.com/watch?v=5cxi7ztTakc
youtube.com/watch?v=Yi5kbDJDZDQ

Someone help me find this recording PLEASE
youtube.com/watch?v=AgoYjyJy6B4

Those three are some of my favorites as well, I think you would very much like rachmaninoff if you arent very familiar with his work.

specifically:
youtu.be/vpaPWuDQUcc?t=2h18m10s
(This was the best version of this piece i could find)
v=4QB7ugJnHgs&ab_channel=ValentinaLisitsa

and of course his piano concertos, number 2 and 3 are the best imo. good luck out there

shit,,this is the link that i didnt paste correctly
youtube.com/watch?v=4QB7ugJnHgs&ab_channel=ValentinaLisitsa

>and though Xenakis didn't, he at least tried
hahaha

found it nevmnd
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjlz7yzqPPRAhVExFQKHSarB90QFggcMAA&url=http://torrentmag.net/hash/d8d4d0341862ef082de3b239ca04e1a1cb422830.html&usg=AFQjCNFZilt8zRuBBqkNMlD1CNmYWV2SQA&sig2=YFRFQuRhZPZdAPwKU7V11w

>A whole essay could be written about Charles Rosen's character, and truth to tell it was not the prettiest picture. In the early 70s, when I took his seminar at SUNY Stony Brook, his manner could best be described as New York homosexual intellectual sadism. A student would try with difficulty to formulate an idea, and Rosen's impatient "yes, yes" would indicate how obvious and elementary the student's comment was. Rosen was a genius, you were not, and he wasn't going to let you forget it. There was an upright piano in our classroom, and on several occasions Rosen would toss off a Chopin etude before starting class, just to show he could. A good friend of mine, who nonetheless venerates Rosen as almost "God himself," has recounted to me the often painful experience of writing his doctoral dissertation on Verdi under Rosen at the University of Chicago. Our seminar nicknamed him "Chuck," though never was anyone less a Chuck than Charles.

>He also favored the male students, and the women knew it. And he could be wickedly funny. I delivered my personal presentation on Wayne Booth's The Rhetoric of Fiction, where Booth argues how novelists shape their readers' reactions through the creation of an "implied author" or "second self." At one point Keith M., the best-looking and most naïve boy in our class, made the very earnest statement that for Booth, "the author makes his readers." A perfectly timed pause, then Rosen, with a wicked glint in his eye, replied: "To the pure in heart, all is pure."

>And if you were of no use to him, Rosen had no use for you. Many years after our class, I was seated in Carnegie Recital Hall for an all-Ferneyhough recital, and Rosen took the row in front of me. I made bold to say hello and that I had taken his seminar 30 years earlier. Rosen: "Thirty years is a long time," and turned his back on me.

Was he our guy?

Anymore classical with drums?
youtube.com/watch?v=J1TcToU2bO8

youtube.com/watch?v=0p-Mrr
youtube.com/watch?v=m53meo
youtube.com/watch?v=kV_zhe
youtube.com/watch?v=tJdLtQ

WTF?!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

How do you write for classical guitar? Is it similar to a harp?

How can Jap boys even compete?
youtube.com/watch?v=bkUq98oiyRc

youtube.com/watch?v=9gG0j-35Mgk
youtube.com/watch?v=dAh4cBW389k

Can you play guitar? because that would help you write for it much more easily. Certain chords and combinations of notes are easy to play, and others aren't. Get an image of the fretboard and you'll see roughly what will be playable and which open strings you can use. Sit down with a guitarist and see what they're capable of

How did you even come across that quote? I've never really thought about it but the word homosexual really fits him like a glove. He never married, did he? He denounced Nazism multiple times, I'm unsure now if that was just common sense, genius that he was, or if he took personal offense to it.

My opinion of him is generally positive, his writings contain quite a few neat anecdotes, he had a great sense of humor as evidenced by his lectures and interviews, and his piano playing was top notch. Virtuoso! is one of my favorite albums of all time, I like Hamelin slightly more for the Strauss-Godowsky fantasy but Chuck's rendition of Carnaval de Vienne is impossibly good, even better than Rosenthal's. It's one of those desert island albums that I revisit frequently, especially when I'm running low on motivation.

Have any of you visited the symphony by yourself? Do people care if you are alone?

no it's usually just a bunch of old farts and their families, no one cares who you're with

Furtwangler easy

Are you serious?

bump