Be yet another guitar player

>be yet another guitar player
>can't sing for shit

am i doomed to live in a shadow a good front man or is it possible to make it playing stoner/psychadelic or something frusciante-like?

Other urls found in this thread:

susananders.com/singing-with-colds-and-allergies
youtube.com/watch?v=hg_CQMcEXzI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

woosh something's terribly wrong with my keyboard

It's not a meme that everyone can sing with training and practice.

You don't need to be a singer to be popular or whatever

People cared about Van Halen only because of Eddie you know

She will be mine, oh yes, she will be

what's the point of being popular if you're not good?
van halen is the perfect example

Do whispery vocals that are easy on the voice
Or you know play some form of extreme metal and embrace that shittiness

i know this feeling all too well

i cant write and produce good music but when it comes to they vocals i just cant get it to sound right

Cmon man eruption is fucking pure sex

Though it's the only good thing to come out of that band

everytime i sing my voice hurts. i am breathing with my diaphragm. i don't know whats wrong and it fucking sucks!

I have the same problem so instead of singing I learned how to alternate between a spoken word inflection and screaming my ass off (basically inspired by slint and a million other bands). I think if I put enough passion and effort into it it'll still sound good, like look at David Yow. Literally can't sing but one of the most captivating frontmen ever.

listen to some Les Rallizes dénudés

What problem do you run into while singing?
I might be able to give some advice.

Examples: Vocal chords feel tight after singing, voice gets "stuck" when singing high, nose plugs after singing, etc.

not op but maybe you can help

i strain way too much. if i sing for more than a couple minutes my voice hurts, and i'm not even going really out of my range. i also can't sing eee or ooh sounds sounds at a higher pitch. i am singing with my diaphragm but i just don't know what else i'm doing wrong.

i'd say my problems lies in my voice's small bandwidth. i can't hit very low or very high frequencies aka i have a shitty voice. also i have a permanently hoarse voice

A few questions:
1) How long have you been singing for?
2) Have you had formal lessons at any point - even if just High School choir for example?
3) What genre of music are you attempting to sing?
4) Are you able to incorporate vibrato while you sing? (you should always be able to if you're singing with the correct support).
5) When you go up in your range - do you draw your voice back, or do you attempt to "throw it" with more power?
6) Do you have any habits that are damaging to the voice such as excessive smoking or drinking?
7) When you sing - do you drink water? Is it cold? (you should avoid all cold liquids and food for at least an hour before singing - get used to drinking plenty of room temp or slightly warmer water frequently).
8) How well can you breath through your nose on average? Any congestion?

And finally: Where are you feeling the pain - in your throat itself, or the muscle that surround it?

This is an amazing website that details some nasal issues that can effect your voice, and how you can work around them - if you have any issue with a clogged nose, or post-nasal drip, then I would recommend you read it:

Generally an "EE" sound is more nasally.

It sounds like you need to work on your "mixed voice". The mixed voice is the range between your chest and head voice, and with practice, and training, you can learn to connect them by "mixing" them. This is a common issue for male singers, especially ones without formal training.

There is plenty of information on this online (I'll include a basic video), but you would likely benefit greatly from formal lessons.

I would also suggest reading up on how to maintain proper nose and throat care, as this is vital for singers, as many people practice damaging behaviors. I quit smoking weed to sing, and it made an immense difference (I was vaping it upwards of 10 times per day though, so yeah lol).

Common nose and throat issues:

youtube.com/watch?v=hg_CQMcEXzI

Keep in mind that video is BASIC - formal lessons are amazing because you have the immediate input from another person.

1. Casually singing for prob 5 years at this point
2. Nope
3. Folk rock usually
4. Maybe a little, but not to the degree where it sounds good
5. I've tried both but none of them sound good. If I "throw it" with power it just kills my voice and if I try to sing highly softer it just gets really breathy and uncontrollable.
6. No, I don't really smoke or drink
7. I usually have a room temp bottled water
8. My nose gets congested occasionally

The pain is definitely coming from the throat itself.

Thanks for the link. I assume I'm just going to have to find a lesson somewhere to lead me on the right path since I've watched so many videos and my voice still hurts when I sing.

>i cant write and produce good music but when it comes to they vocals i just cant get it to sound right
you're fucked actually

Ok well the reason I asked about vibrato is that, when you're relaxed, vibrato is something that can just happen naturally (it should never feel like you're "forcing" vibrato). I used to have an issue with this, and it turned out that it was my stress level. I was constantly on edge stress wise - which then translated to me straining my vocal chords. I incorporated routine cardio into my life for this reason (as an outlet), and it helped immensely.

Do you go through any warm up exercises before singing, for example scales?

It sounds like you may also need to work on mixed voice - see the video above for some very basic info on it.

I noted you said it sounded "hoarse" - if you mean that it cracks while you're singing, then it may be a hydration issue. Voice cracking it generally caused by dry vocal chords - which can also result in pain while singing. Make sure you're drinking upwards of a gallon of water a day (yes really) if you have this issue, and you can scale it back as needed once you've hydrated. If your pee is normally a darker color, then this is definitely your issue. When drinking this much water make sure you're eating enough salt so that you don't suffer from over hydration - learn the signs.

Record yourself as well - it's painful to listen to at first lol, and NO ONE likes their voice to begin with, and it will allow you to hear what's happening with your voice as you move up in range

Make sure not to push your voice if it's already hurting. It's better to lay off for a bit and let it heal than to risk damaging it. While it's not common to permanently eff your voice up, it is possible. Above all listen to your body - if it hurts - stop immediately.

It does sound like formal lessons would help you.

Remember as well - needing lessons isn't a bad thing - plenty of people need guitar lessons, and after a year or so they're kicking ass right?

The same applies to your voice, just make sure to care for it like it's your baby. :)

My throat feels tight after singing for a bit. Do you know how to alleviate that?