So, it's probably fair to say that Hip-Hop is by far the most popular genre right now...

So, it's probably fair to say that Hip-Hop is by far the most popular genre right now, and probably has been since about 2010.

Do you think that this is the album that got the genre to the massive mainstream appeal that it has now? Basically every teenager to early 20s adult who isn't a complete edge-lord listens to Hip-Hop.

When do you think the popularity will die down? Do you think it'll last until the end of this decade, or will it keep going past it, into the next?

>So, it's probably fair to say that Hip-Hop is by far the most popular genre right now, and probably has been since about 2010.

I'm pretty sure we can easily prove this wrong using Youtube views and album sales.

Hip hop is gay indie shit, the most popular genre is EDM.
Niggers have all become faggots rapping about being sad boys and become overly pretentious thinking they are fashion icons and pretending to be into fine art

Only in America.

Care to give a few examples? I'm genuinely curious.

When you look at streaming services, artists like Drake are drawing massive numbers. And even on YouTube videos, it's always in the hundreds of millions.

And teenagers don't really buy albums anymore. Not a lot of people do. But you've still got artists like J Cole with his album 2014 pulling in over 1 million in album sales.

It's also extremely popular here in Australia. But that's probably because we feed off of American culture.

t. 21 year old Australian

Like, rap was thinking it would take the place of rock, no, edm did.
While niggers were gloating about being "da new rockstars".
Everyone was going to raves and edm festivals

Hip hop fans are teenagers. They use streaming services more often. Adele and Taylor Swift sold more than Drake or J Cole.
I'm pretty sure hip hop was more popular in early 00s.

>never noticed the red texture before
Regardless, it was probably some radio single from Drake or Eminem. Em was still making singles in 2010 but Niggas in Paris was also a fucking huge deal in 2011.

I always thought that R&B was pretty popular during the 00s, and Gangster Rap was also still prominent.

And although Adele and Swift sold (a lot) more than Drake or J Cole, Hip-Hop artists, Drake included, are in the lead in terms of streaming services. You can't deny that Spotify and Apple Music are extremely popular, and probably the most popular forms of consuming music today.

And as you can see from pic related, 4 out of 5 of the Top 5 Spotify artists for 2016 are Hip-Hop artists.

>This bait

How is that bait?

Lol, so you are just going to ignore my EDM posts nigger? cant live in your little fantasy then huh?

By the way, hip hop went mainstream with outkasts hey ya

I thought Eminem's first three albums got the genre to the massive mainstream appeal when I was in high school.

>Drake
>Justin Beiber
>Rihanna
>Twenty One Pilots
>Kanye West

>4 out of 5 are hip-hop artists

It went mainstream with NWA Straight Outta Compton

You seem like the kinda guy who ravers complain about. EDM went mainstream with Skrillex and Chainsmokers.

gangsta rap was never top 40 pop

It was him who made it more mainstream to white people but NWA then Biggie then Jay Z were before him.
The singles from 2001 by Dre were.

Alright, so maybe Rihanna isn't Hip-Hop, I was wrong about that.

That's still 3 out 5.

I'm not talking about mainstream as in popular enough for music listeners to know who an artist is. I mean, mainstream as in the genre dominates the charts, and is the most played music at parties. And right now, that's what Hip-Hop is.

Orly?

Beastie Boys

Licenced To Ill - US #1 UK #7

>Spotify and Apple Music are extremely popular, and probably the most popular forms of consuming music today

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Spotify is probably only second to YouTube and the radio.

>Raves

The 90's called, they want their term back

>I'm not talking about mainstream as in popular enough for music listeners to know who an artist is. I mean, mainstream as in the genre dominates the charts, and is the most played music at parties. And right now, that's what Hip-Hop is.

Nah, people listen to EDM, EDM, makes the most money, EDM has the drugs, the sex.
Rap has been on an increasingly faggy trajectory to becoming boring and safe pop music.

You are incredibly defensive over a genre, man.

I dont even like edm, thats just the reality, Niggers got absorbed by top 40 pop and hipsters.
White people moved on to electronic music.

White people are the biggest consumer of hip hop though. EDM too.

So what, thats because they have the biggest population.
Why do you care so fucking much about how many radio friendly unit shifters rap sells?

This is why i fucking hate niggers

You think charts and money is all that matters.

You hate blacks because they make popular music?

W A L K T H I S W A Y

was gonna make a thread but cbf...

do people under the stairs have any great albums? acid raindrops is a goat song

Rap did have a time of it being super popular, during the early 2000s

EDM came after and surpassed it like rap did the prior genre

Sounds like you're just trying to find reasons to hate black people

You were the one that brought up EDM sales and now complain about charts and money...

That's really no comparison. The word Rock has several meanings and hip hop could be written as Hip-Hop, hiphop or even as rap by casual masses.

t. white person

>people ITT don't think rap is the most popular genre

How long has fake love been in the top 10 3 months?

Those search results aren't really saying anything and if you think otherwise, you're an idiot.

We have this thread everyday

We have Death Grips, Grimes and K-Pop threads everyday as well.

it's always meme rap or drake that is ever #1 though, so is it really the most popular genre?

Considering the majority of the song in the top ten feature a rapper, I'd say so.

It's just somewhat popular in US and some other english-speaking countries

It's an underground culture elsewhere

Nobody outside plebbit or 4chink listens to that worthless SHIT MUSIC or even knows that utter fucking SHIT unfortunately exists. KILL YOURSELF. SAGE.

R E T A R D S

A T T E M P T I N G

P O E T R Y

SUCK MY WHITE WHITE WHITE DIKKK

>By the way, hip hop went mainstream with outkasts hey ya
That song which isn't a rap song, and came almost 10 years after Coolio's Gangster's Paradise was the bestselling single of 1995

I think most of their albums are great, but highlighter is probably their best.

Pop is the most popular genre because it's defined by popularity and morphs into whatever it takes to to make money, incorporating elements from other genres to further its own agenda - rock guitars, disco synths, rap... it doesn' care.

Mbdtf just made hip hop synonymous with pop to white america. I guess that makes it important but you could argue that for every kanye album before it too. He featured the coldplay guy and maroon 5 guy.

Hip-hop has been massively popular since the late 90s, I don't understand how a lot of people developed this idea that hip-hop is only recently becoming mainstream or something.

you're a total edge-lord fag, hip hop is progressive

EDM and pop will always reign supreme in popularity. Those beep hoops don't have a language barrier and the simple English chorus are easy for anyone to translate and sing along to like a mantra. Same thing with pop. Can't beat the formula

hip-hop is only the most popular genre by virtue of the drill and trap sub-genres which have soared in popularity recently. no-one's interested in the fundamentals anymore, just the harmonies and the cadence