Reminder that these are NOT real music instruments

Reminder that these are NOT real music instruments.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gXOIkT1-QWY
youtube.com/watch?v=XIMSbKU2oZM
dictionary.com/browse/synthesize
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Types_of_synthesis
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's not sequencing software, that's a notation software.

I see. And how is it that they are not real music instruments?

damn

Is mayonnaise an instrument

If you can get a sound out of it, yes.

pretty sure e-kits are becoming more industry standard

why fuck around with acoustic micing when you can perfect dynamics etc. dgitially

But they look like real music instruments...

Sick burn OP

Scott Walker would say so.

>a piano isn't an instrument
epic

Just don't reply to obvious bait threads people.

They exist, they're real, they make sounds. It's just another technological advance in instruments (at one point a piano was the highest technological advance). Stop the trolling.

>implying there's no sequencing software that uses classical music notation

Classical music notation? Are you fucking gay?

>visual display unit
lel

tell me the difference between a string vibrating's frequencies and synthetic ones made by electrons

>listening to 'real' instruments
Go to sleep gramps.

classical in the sense of traditional, user

traditional? are you fucking gay?

Laptop, samplers and turntables > geetahs, drums

Even a guitar string contain electrons

Not only that, but all electric guitars are technically synths.

>An electric guitar is a fretted string instrument that uses a pickup to convert the vibration of its strings—which are typically made of steel, and which occurs when a guitarist strums, plucks or fingerpicks the strings—into electrical signals. The vibrations of the strings are sensed by a pickup, of which the most common type is the magnetic pickup, which uses the principle of direct electromagnetic induction. The signal generated by an electric guitar is too weak to drive a loudspeaker, so it is plugged into a guitar amplifier before being sent to a loudspeaker, which makes a sound loud enough to hear. The output of an electric guitar is an electric signal, and the signal can easily be altered by electronic circuits to add "color" to the sound or change the sound. Often the signal is modified using effects such as reverb and distortion and "overdrive", with the latter being a key element of the sound of the electric guitar as it is used in blues and rock music.

So, the vibrations of the strings are converted into electrical signals. Quite similar to playing the keys of a synth (or operating its controls) and modifying the electrical signals.

no, retard

synth = sound synthesis

electronic amplification of a physical noise-maker is not sound synthesis

quit misinforming the people on this board.
plus think about the kids on this board.

Reminder that composing a song on a computer takes only 5 minutes in all cases and is pretty much automatic desu.

I know this is bait but it makes me sad that some people actually believe this

John Cage would find you very amusing:
youtube.com/watch?v=gXOIkT1-QWY

bullshit

Stop it, idiots. Synths are sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves, guitars are also sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves. The big difference is how you initiate those sound waves (e.g. by playing the keys of a synth or by strumming the strings of a guitar).

BTW you could make guitars to sound like synths and synths to sound like guitars. Guitars also have various controls (tone, volume, tremolo bar, pedals) to control the signal, just like synths have LFO, ADSR, Portamento, Filters, Cutoff frequency, Mod wheel, etc.

Stop being so fucking ignorant.

you're either extremely stupid or baiting.
probably baiting.

You too should read this

>Synths are sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves, guitars are also sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves.
You have no idea what you're talking about

That's not an argument. Actually prove me wrong (arguments, not bullshit).

Any recording that could be recorded with "real" instruments could also be synthesized with the right program (probably can't go in-depth enough today) and enough time and effort. All you're really doing when you're recording music is measuring a sound wave.

Confirmed for being retarded.

I still stand by my post

Prove me wrong.

In meantime look how an electric guitar works:
>An electric guitar is a fretted string instrument that uses a pickup to convert the vibration of its strings—which are typically made of steel, and which occurs when a guitarist strums, plucks or fingerpicks the strings—into electrical signals.

See? The vibrations generated by strings are converted into electrical signals. The synths also work with electrical signals. The difference is that those signals are generated by oscillators and modified by the player (playing keys, filters, mod wheel, etc).

>Actually prove me wrong
translation:
>teach me because I am too dumb / lazy to learn things myself

yeah, nah. you're being an asshole. ask nicely and maybe someone will take pity on you and teach you the difference. 2 minutes on wikipedia will prove you wrong.

Hey guitar retard, prove me wrong. Could you??

>The difference is that those signals are generated by oscillators
yeah that IS the difference, you massive fucking retard. oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.

god you're retarded

>backpedalling
You have nothing to say. Admit it, you're a guitarfag mad because I told that electric guitars are like synths. That's the truth!

So you're saying an electric guitar sounds literally exactly like an acoustic one? It's only amplifying the sound and not changing the wave at all

bait confirmed

move along folks

>oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.

You stupid fuck, but those vibrations, what happens to them after that??? Let me tell you: they're converted into electrical signals! AFTER THAT, it's like synths! You could modify them in every way. You could feed the guitar signal into a Korg MS-20 ffs!

Basically those vibrations act like the keys of a synth. You strum a guitar, create vibrations, these vibrations hit the pickup, the pickup convert them into electrical signals.

The guitars produce sounds INITIALLY, but right after that they're like synths.

What is your excuse now, dumbass?

*converts

You can record literally everything and after that it's like synths. So everything is a synth according to your logic.

The difference is that the vibrations arise by physical means, they are not synthesized.

The electric guitars have the pickups (the vibrations -> electrical signals converters) included in the device. The pickups are PART of a guitar.

>The difference is that the vibrations arise by physical means, they are not synthesized.
The keys pressed on a synths also arise by physical means. They don't play by themselves, a human has to play them. Same as guitar: someone has to play the guitar. The strumming is just an initial step, after that there's some processing involved. It's not like an acoustic guitar where you could hear exactly the vibrations of the strings (unmodified). That processing is the most similar thing to synths (as I said, pedals, volume, tone, tremolo, etc).

Basically what I meant is what happens AFTER the strumming. And what happens if quite similar to synths. Come on people, use your damn minds.

Synth literally means sound synthesis

I hope no one actually falls for this

Literally no argument. This post is clearly wrong
there's a lot more going on in an electric guitar than pure amplification

u kno what man? Music is an expression. your so condescending towards these people who are just trying to have a good time. These guys work hard and theyve been doing this for a long time, they rock and they put ther all into it. You just just sit behind your computer copying and pasting tacky outdated fonts from the internet with stupid images you googled while these guys are rockin out to the biggest circle pit ever and probably getting a buncha chicks afterwards. Get a life dude u clearly need 1

MoDP is a good page desu

And what is sound synthesis? Perhaps modifying existing sound (generated by oscillators) stored as electrical signal into something else using filters and stuff? How it's that different than modifying existing sound (generated by strumming strings) stored as electric signal into something else using pedals, tremolo bars and stuff?

>The keys pressed on a synths also arise by physical means. They don't play by themselves, a human has to play them.

you're retarded beyond belief

lmao

Not an argument, retard

When these dumb fuckers have no arguments they start personal attacks. Isn't that interesting?? No arguments and yet they have a big mouth.

you've been proven wrong multiple times

kill yourself autist

You're a fucking retard for caring so much and having such a narrow mindset of what's an instrument. Go die in a fire you close-minded faggot.

Where I was proven wrong, autist??

>you're retarded beyond belief
it's not proving wrong, unless you're a dipshit

>oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.
most electric guitars use magnetic pickups so what is being amplified is not the vibrations in the air made by the strings but rather the electrical signals being made by the string oscillating over a magnet.

THIS.

And these idiots keep insulting me when they're actually ignorant morons. It's pretty clear that an electric guitar is a kind of a simplified synth: it modifies an electrical signal (generated by the string oscillating over a magnet) using amplifiers, pedals, tremolo bars, whatever. Too stupid to understand BASIC things. Go to school you idiots and stop talking about things you don't understand.

t.reddit

No, he's right. A synth just send controlled burst of electricity out to a speaker that vibrates at a frequency matching that of the electrical impulses. He used shitty terminology to describe the process, but he's not wrong.

Guitars are the only real instrument. They require people to play them to make sounds. Oh wait...

youtube.com/watch?v=XIMSbKU2oZM

and? its still not waveform generated by a voltage or computer. the oscillation is physical. still not synthesized sound.

shut the fuck up, you're both an ignorant moron and an annoying autist who feels the need to reply every 2 seconds with his retarded bullshit

The only real instruments are the human voice and hand clapping because they require no equipment or technology to make sounds. Everything that requires a piece of wood, metal, or plastic isn't a real instrument.

I know how a synth works, he's retarded when he tried to claim that guitars work the same way.

I said that a guitar is like a simplified synth. It's pretty obvious that a synth has more stuff in it than a guitar, but they both operate by modifying the sound which is stored as electrical signal. WTF it's so hard to understand, you dumbass?

But they do. You vibrate a strig over an electromagnet. That electromagnet sends controlled bursts of electricity down the output, into the amp and the amp vibrates at a frequency matching the electrical impulses. How do you think they work?

What is synthesized sound, idiot? What's the difference between the electrical signal of a synth and one from an electric guitar?

Cool story bro. Reality is subjective.

>John Cage would find you very amusing:
>youtube.com/watch?v=gXOIkT1-QWY
I watched all of that video and it wasn't music and those weren't instruments (apart from the piano).
He was just a troll.

very very good bait my friend. 8.5/10

modifying sound != synthesizing sound
you're a fucking moron, why is that so hard for you to understand? why can't your wrap your head around simple definitions? also why are you so fucking autistic that you need to reply to three posts saying the same meaningless shit you've said in all your other posts?

dictionary.com/browse/synthesize

to form (a material or abstract entity) by combining parts or elements (opposed to analyze ):
to synthesize a statement.

So, strumming a guitar string, that's combined with the properties of a pickup to create an electrical signal, that's combined with the internal wiring of an amp to synthesize a sound.

A synthesizer as an instrument is called such because it synthesizes a sound by combining various electrical impulses from various oscilators.

What point are you trying to make?

On surface level, you're wrong, and in the semantic sense, you even more wrong.

Everyone in this thread is retarded.

Welcome to the club, retard.

>muh plebby platonic way of categorising the world of pure difference

"synthesize" when used in the dictionary is not the same thing as a "synthesizer" as in the electronic instrument

>synthesizes a sound by combining
No, my mentally challenged friend, its called a synthesizer because it artificially produces sound by non-physical means. Guitars produce sound by physical means. Both sounds are manipulated in similar ways, but that says nothing about how the sounds are produced.

Please, stop being an autistic retard.

This

Well done OP.

>that's combined with the internal wiring of an amp to synthesize a sound
... you're not serious right? You do know that amp stands for amplifier right? It doesnt synthesize anything, you can amplify a bird chirping. You think a bird chirping recording being played on speakers is a synthesizer ... ?

Synthesizing sound is "cooking" sound, CREATING AND MODIFYING SOUND. You start from a sound source (the electrical signal produced the guitar pickups or oscillators) and modify it. That's the whole point of synthesizing sounds: creating and modifying sounds. The big difference between electric guitars and synths is at the creating stage (strumming strings that activate the pickups vs oscillators).

Got it, you bloody idiot fuck?

Amplifying it's part of the sound processing / synthesizing, you fuckwit. If the input signal =/= output signal then there's processing involved. And amplifying modifies the input signal.

>modifying
>modifying
>modifying
wow, because according to the definition you posted above synthesis does not include modifying something which already exists. good job proving yourself wrong, retard.

sound processing isn't sound synthesis.

serious question: are you 13 years old? or autistic? or retarded? or a synthesis of all the above traits?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Types_of_synthesis

Kill yourself/

Yes, because every amp sounds exactly the same and doesn't flavour or add anything to the sound in any way whatsoever.

>The big difference between electric guitars and synths is at the creating stage
>creating stage
oh you mean the actual sound synthesis?

... can you even hear how retarded you sound?

see
fuckwit

modifying a signal is not the same as generating a signal, you would be able to understand that if you rubbed your grand total of two brain cells together for a few minutes

the webster dictionary definition of "synthesize" is not the same thing as "synthesizer" as in the electronic musical instrument

OP is retarded because he thinks electric guitars are actually synthesizers and doesn't understand the difference in sound generation. my question was, if I have a set of stereo speakers that plays the recording of a bird chirping, you think I can call that a "synthesizer"? no, I wouldn't because I'm not autistic and retarded

>oh you mean the actual sound synthesis?
You're an idiot. Do you think the sound synthesis starts and stops at the oscillators (the actual sound generators in a synth)? What about those other stages (LFO, freq, cutoff, filters, ADSR)? Aren't they part of sound synthesis???

A synthesizer (often abbreviated as synth, also spelled synthesiser) is an electronic musical instrument that generates electric signals that are converted to sound through instrument amplifiers and loudspeakers or headphones.

So a guitar that creates an electrical signal through it's electromagnets in the pickup that then send those signals through a wire to an amp or loudspeaker or headphones. You're wrong, even by the instrument definition of synthesizer.

stop samefagging to my posts. you're not going to win your retarded arguement by trying to be confusing.

>if I have a set of stereo speakers that plays the recording of a bird chirping, you think I can call that a "synthesizer"?
What about electric guitars?

>because I'm not autistic and retarded
Don't deny it

you're retarded.

synthesizer generates sound by non-physical (electronic) means. that's an agreed-upon definition.

This. This idiot btfo completely.

The only one samefagging is you. You're yelling at a room of people that know more than you and are getting angry when they all tell you that you're wrong.

Electric guitars are not synthesizers.

no argument can change that fact. its not a matter of opinion, its definition. kill yourself, autist