Rate Grimes' personal music list

dazeddigital.com/music/article/34573/

Other urls found in this thread:

dazeddigital.com/music/article/34573/
dazeddigital.com/music/article/34573/1/grimes-releases-venus-fly-video
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/
pitchfork.com/news/70656-gorillaz-noodle-mixes-grimes-empress-of-laurie-anderson-more-in-kick-ass-women-playlist-listen/
fasterlouder.junkee.com/the-avalanches-interview-robbie-chater-2016-wildflower/864236
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>dazeddigital.com/music/article/34573/
>Page not found

the "music taste not found" jokes are writing themselves

dazeddigital.com/music/article/34573/1/grimes-releases-venus-fly-video

My bad

why is Grimes so boring?

Like I don't know what it is about her or the nu-indie culture she basically encompasses, but as "eclectic" her tastes are (as I'm sure hacks would call it and nothing elseelse) its just so.. Boring. Like it has no substance to it other than being "eclectic" or whatever. At least the "eclectic" nature of indie in the past was at least rooted with some end goal... Grimes and music like her that is domianting the mainstream indie scene is so vapid and direction less it honestly bores me to tears and is basically a fine example of why recent (past 7 years or so) of indie culture becoming so boring to me, around the time bitte orca solidified this trend

Grimes is not boring (hence the endless interest on everything she does), you are boring.

0/14 interesting songs

lame taste

man this is some deep fried shit taste
no wonder her new music is trash

dixie chicks KEK

>why is Grimes so boring?
Probably because you are one of those intellectually sheltered types who can only handle concepts like eclecticism if they have air-quotes around them.

It's not happy music, if you needed a clue

>Like it has no substance to it
Define substance

she makes terribly boring self indulgent music, she can't write for shit, she is an abhorrently ugly abomination. the only reason she is famous is because other ugly girls buy her records and skinnyfat wastes like you are obsessed with her because she an obtainable quality about her. kill yourself, you are the worst cancer on this board

why do you grimesbabbies need to be fucking spoonfed everything

substance just means fucking substance, like being substantial. use your fucking brain holy shit.

>wasting time writing all that bullshit
Seriously?

I think the real problem is that Grimes represents the "mainstream indie culture" that has come to be defined by stuff like Pitchfork. It's a very incestuous ecosystem focused on a few large cities where Arts majors jerk each other off. It has a very fixed set of behaviors, opinions and beliefs that are allowed and others that aren't. It leads to crushing creative stagnation because, in the end, it's just a game you play, like the big-label pop game but at a smaller scale. No one wants to really rock the boat, because they want to get Best New Music, play Coachella, and sell lots of (vinyl) records.

Why do you have to post all that shit when it's clear that Grimes is great? It's not like P4K are the only ones promoting her. Almost the entire music press praised her work. Also you're talking about "crushing creative stagnation" when she's one of the few artists that are genuinely innovating and making creative art. You picked the wrong target, pal.

pupper seals the deal

>Using a term in your definition for that same term
Lol I know you ostenisbly have to be at least 18 to post here, but is there a minimum IQ requirement as well? 'Cuz if so, I've got bad news for you...

>T R I G G E R E D

Don't be triggered. It's just obvious crap.

wow this is boring

She likes Justin Bieber. That's everything people should know about her taste.

she is SJW what do you expect

>Almost the entire music press praised her work
Same thing happened with Tame Impala, and they are shit.
Using the "but muh critics" argument is stupid when every critic is a corporate drone.

lol

>misreading subtext

>feigning shock and awe at this fact
user, have you been living under a rock for the past 5+ years?

>every critic is a corporate drone.
>outing your yourself as a corporate drone

>grimescucks in full damage control mode

sweet pupper done nothing wrong

But besides Bieber, did you wonder what she likes?

Grimes cites the following as influences: Marilyn Manson,[59] Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Enya, Beyoncé, Bikini Kill, Joanna Newsom, Burial,[60] Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel,[61] How to Dress Well,[62] Cocteau Twins,[63] Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Panda Bear, Tool,[58] Dandi Wind,[64] Outkast, the Dungeon Family, New Edition, TLC, Michael Jackson, Black Dice, Aphex Twin, Nine Inch Nails,[65] Skinny Puppy, the Spice Girls,[66] Jedi Mind Tricks,[67] Paramore,[68] Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Yoko Kanno, Kenji Kawai,[69] David Bowie, Queen, St. Vincent, Mindless Self Indulgence, Chris Isaak,[70] Salem, Al Green,[71] and Blink-182,[72] as well as the Dune novels,[60] The Godfather Part II,[61] K-pop,[73] artist Yayoi Kusama, The Legend of Zelda, Akira,[69] and medieval music.[71]

That's quite diverse if you ask me.

Not just the critics, but other artists praised her.

>Interviewer: What young artists do you feel an affinity with? I heard you're a Kendrick fan.
>Joanna Newsom: I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature

>I’m super excited that Grimes is getting so much attention for her amazing production too because she’s super, super talented. And she does everything! She produces completely on her own.
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/

>In terms of people today, as I said, I’m a little out of the loop, but I have noticed I’m really excited by the way that Grimes frames herself, and seems utterly disinterested in her own beauty, which is really exciting to me. Sometimes it’s useful for an idea, and then other times it’s not useful for an idea, and she seems unaffected either way. I like her music as well, and I like what she says.
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/

Is Joanna a corporate drone too?

Almost everyone I meet on Omegle has better taste.

what the fuck, all those musicians are either top 40 or entry-level indie. that's not diverse at all.

>i have a pretty eclectic music taste
>britney spears, yoko kanno, the list goes on :^)

>see guys! joanna likes her! you guys like joanna right?! my taste is so so validated now! also she likes blink 182, paramore, and yamashirogumi! so postmodern!

Are you sure? Most of them aren't top 40. Check their chart positions individually if you don't believe me. Plus, that doesn't really matter, diversity is related to the variety of styles, not chart positions.

Yes, that's eclectic. And unlike you she's not afraid to admit her guilty pleasures.

>Sup Forumscore and poptimism-core is eclectic

meme so quirky waifu strikes again

It's much harder to talk shit about Grimes knowing that Joanna appreciates her, right bruh? ;)

What about David Byrne?
>"I started collecting pictures of Grimes, Madonna, Kate Bush, Sinèad O’Connor, on and on—popular musicians are obsessed with her. This trend inspired the premise for the show: a pop star decides to give in to the Joan obsession and tell her epic story in concert".

>Boucher's public persona is definitely striking, but one-on-one, the perception completely dissolves. Here I was expecting someone brimming with whimsy, but instead she was a 24-year-old girl; rather down to earth and just coming to terms with the concept of fame. The fame that brings David Byrne of Talking Heads to your shows. When his name came up, Boucher was absolutely ecstatic, like an excited little puppy. "The tour in America was fucking insane. David Byrne being there was crazy. I kinda wish I knew he was there before the show… But then again if I did, I probably would’ve been really nervous".

Or Gorillaz:
pitchfork.com/news/70656-gorillaz-noodle-mixes-grimes-empress-of-laurie-anderson-more-in-kick-ass-women-playlist-listen/

Or The Avalanches:
>As you grow older, you enter your thirties, you have to fight to keep that spirit alive. It’s easy to slip into routine and lose that spark. That’s part of the music making process, and the role new music plays, being inspired by hearing a new artist and how they go about something. Even if it’s completely stylistically different – the way Grimes just owns her shit, does it all herself with this DIY thing going on. You need that inspiration every day when you sit down to work, to wake you up and shake you up and break you out of your routine.
fasterlouder.junkee.com/the-avalanches-interview-robbie-chater-2016-wildflower/864236

I'm waiting for Bjork's opinion on her. I bet that she loves Grimes.

>other artists, plural
>proceeds to post 3 different Newsom interviews, Grimes and Newsom are known to suck each other off

Also Newsom's own music is so pseudo sophisticated that it hurts.

>Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Yoko Kanno, Kenji Kawai,[69]
>Mindless Self Indulgence,
>medieval music.[71]
>Dandi Wind,[64]
>New Edition,
>Black Dice
>Skinny Puppy
>How to Dress Well,[62]
>Salem, Al Green,[71]

>Sup Forumscore and poptimism-core
Really??

>dude, other artists love her
>that means she's objectively good
nice ad verecundiam you fucking mongs

Did you see this ? I have more examples ready...

>Also Newsom's own music is so pseudo sophisticated that it hurts.
Now you're acting like a contrarian. Just admit that you don't like that your beloved Joanna adores Grimes. Sad but true (for you). Joanna knows better!

>thinking people with brains care what an internet troll thinks

has anyone tried putting these threads in context? who gives a shit this much to post pastas about grimes, and who cares enough to hatepost against it this much?

nobodies asking questions

nerds should be buried alive

t. brainlet

Jesus fucking Chirst what a shitaste

look up pedantic. look it up

Welcome to the Internet.

Grimesfags BTFO

go pick a book, brainlet.

bless your soul

>Grimesfags
>expecting to be taken seriously

i hate you...

The Internet (especially its more anonymous corners) is the go-to place for insecure people to openly act like spergs. What's so difficult to understand about that?

>listens to grimes
>expects me to bother even reading his post

user, that would require intelligence on your part.

i understand just fine, i just really hate you some times

Hating people on the internet who you don't even know is pointless desu.

you're giving me the cold shoulder again? this is why user, this is why

>grimesfags can no longer protect their queen
>theyre beginning to realize their devotion was only based on a pathetic obsession with a 3/10 gremlin that might be ugly enough to be a plausible love interest

KILL THEM ALL. NO SURVIVORS. NOW IS THE TIME TO STRIKE

>not posting about music on /mu
Lol. Take your faux-waifu obsessions elsewhere.