/prod/

Everything I make sounds like Brian Wilson looks edition
>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/cgoosty4
clyp.it/4v5zxjqq
clyp.it/gcazoghx
clyp.it/rzrz2fjt
clyp.it/amgbgcnr
clyp.it/wiqso22v
clyp.it/iaw3stvs
clyp.it/t50z1lv3
clyp.it/3augnz2h
soundcloud.com/soravme
clyp.it/hs3phorg
clyp.it/oiv2u0f4
clyp.it/u44hakqy
clyp.it/d2lvugsm
clyp.it/2422cpsx
clyp.it/owspxgkv
clyp.it/lqzeqzw2
clyp.it/yp4is2ab
clyp.it/2xmz5twl
clyp.it/boaowlk5
clyp.it/30xkoflh
clyp.it/fv24ytpr
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jnMclUHjc
youtube.com/watch?v=2h4syppM9dA&index=6&list=FLvZF6vXG8sUutyCraNL49TQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BRRRAAAAAAAAPPP.

please not this forced meme

>he hasn't had a quick braaaapdown

clyp.it/cgoosty4

I've been working on this the last couple of days, any comments?

Pretty cool dude. Though, I think it overstays its welcome by the end. I'm sorry I don't really have any specific recommendations though.

I realize what you mean, although I extended it for the purpose of mixing it in sets

Anyone have a pocket operator? They are on sale at Guitar Center on clearance, so I'm thinking about picking one up.

Which is best?

clyp.it/4v5zxjqq

Can I get some feedback on this short clip I've been working on today. Not sure if it is worth continuing. This is the first thing I have worked on where I am singing, so, sorry that I and the mixing sound like shit.

Guitar sounds perfectly clean, maybe a bit too thin but that's a really small detail desu.
Voice needs some correction, needs to be brought a tiny bit back and it's way too dry, need some reverb and delay, also EQing to cut the unwanted sub frequencies and some slight compression (your voice is pretty much controlled throughout so you'd be throwing "just cuz" mostly)
Overall a pretty good song, I enjoyed it, finish it and add a couple more instruments and some drums lateron.

I was gifted the arcade one for Christmas. It's a sound synth and sequencer and arguably the most versatile one out the whole line. You can chain up to 128 patterns and chords apparently. It surprisingly even has its own speaker.

Thanks. I probably could have added a little more character to the guitar by mixing in the built in mic with the pickup, but I forgot to put it off just pickup.

Seconding arcade. It is definitely the strongest of the bunch. If you can afford another, I would recommend Robot, you can do some rhythm/sequenced stuff with the Arcade and lead on Robot.

clyp.it/gcazoghx

sup nerds
here's what ive been working on
tell me its bad

The voice fades out pretty fucking fast

its bad

I use Ableton solely for recording, I don't use VSTs, only hardware. Are MIDI controllers necessary?

>Are MIDI controllers necessary?
no but theyre nice to have unless you really like adjusting faders and shit with the mouse

clyp.it/rzrz2fjt
rate, hate and debate

hm okay, cause I have a Push 2, and sometimes i dont use it. thinking of selling it

clyp.it/amgbgcnr

Starting working on this one an hour ago, need to spend some time in mixer.

Thoughts on overall mix?
clyp.it/wiqso22v

Thanks

can you give me a quick mixdown on these two?

>accidentally set my last track to full mono

clyp.it/iaw3stvs

Is it good to go?

>that autism bass in the drop

kekd heartily

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I feel like there is too much stuff on the right. Maybe move the snare or another instrument a bit more too the left? Feels like everything is just together overall.

You could be right, I don't have my headphones and I'm mixing at a pretty low volume

Guys, what are the benefits of using Ableton over FL?

just use the daw you like using the best or use both of them

i use cubase and ableton

I got you

>waaay too much compression
>distorted stereo image
>clipping out the wazoo
>Phasing
>Artifacts
Check your settings and make sure you're not going into the red or clipping your plugins. They look overprocessed.

what kind of music are they

psychedelic trap on a 7/8 time signature

Is that good or...?

if one use fl studio piano roll to make all melodies and chords and has an 808 and a 303 are they really "musicians" if they make beats? like they can't play piano or anything but make music by sequencing

is full max 7 crossgrade really worth $299

Not only are they musicians they get paid thousands of times more than real musicians

clyp.it/t50z1lv3
>house
worth continuing?

are you talking about deadmau5?

if he is he's wrong. deadmau5 plays piano. he's got a whole album of it

are my beats shit, i made all the synths
clyp.it/3augnz2h

lol i like it the where is the meatloaf sample reminds me of fatboy slims music for some reason, i like it
dude very nice, i wouldnt have known the difference if you didnt tell me it was mono

Anyone? Would appreciate, friends...

excellent honestly
got somewhere to get you music?

bretty gud. i take it this for a video game?
the electric piano around 1:10 that pops in makes it a little muddy, maybe try killing some of the low frequencies

I put in work crafting beats but at the end of the day I'm pretty much an unskilled piano roll baby that can't play an instrument so I've actively avoided saying that I do music or that I'm a musician. I just label myself as a "producer"

Someone please I want actual criticism

>clyp.it/gcazoghx
its dope, what did you use to make it? i really like the horn

would you give me any advice on this please i just want to know if it is bad or not, if you want to skim over it

goddamn how do /prod/ threads have the best titles

the fucking overview bar in ableton (upper one, the one you use to navigate the track, zoom in or out, etc press crtr+alt+o to to view it or hide it) has shrink to a fucking small size, I can barely use it. Does ANYONE knows how to solve it PLEASE I'M GOING CRAZY

Damn it you assume people getting into producing would have some musicality to themselves, at least know a fucking scale.

Its like a public speaker saying words in the wrong order.

its always small desu

I don't know how to play any scales, but I don't feel like I need to learn any because I don't want to play lead.

Haha, not yet my friend. The closest thing is my soundcloud: soundcloud.com/soravme

Yup. Hmm, thought that was the case, but wasn't sure if it was just me. Thanks will check it out.

What harm is there in learning more knowledge? This I don't understand with many electronic musicians...

Double click on it

a musician who's too cool to learn a single scale, now I've seen everything...

nah, far from, but it's a cool addition if you wanna adjust stuff with knobs instead of the mouse like the other user said, mostly good for live settings.

sorry but I don't like this

very generic but it works, however not a big senpai of the 808, very sawy sounding instead of square-ish/sinusoid

pretty cute but the mix and arrangement are very weak, it sounds like you got into this recently.

the mix is way too tiring and that kick is way too weak, also that synth during the drop is weird.

faster workflow

yes, they are musicians

no

the kick sample is bad but the idea/mood you have going on is pretty ok, very muddy in general, gotta work on your production skills

standard saws that are way too forward in the mix and drown the drums, also random melodies and chords

:^)

double click on it like the other user said

heh, that's where you're wrong kiddo

He doesn't want to play lead though

ive talked to a few people who think theory will limit them in making music like they think it is a strict set of rules

You listen to these clyps and you can tell straight away the guy has no idea what he's doing and perhaps is tone deaf but he thinks he can fool everyone or it sounds good to him 'cause he did it?

What about chords?

They're built from scales ya know.

>the mix is way too tiring
How so? I'll work on the kick and the synth is more of a personal preference.

Not really sure how I feel about this.
I'm looking for some feedback specifically on any mixing issues, what stands out?
Or just general thoughts appreciated.

clyp.it/hs3phorg

I think i made something resembling dance music or electro but idk cause I dont do this type of music usually.

clyp.it/oiv2u0f4

thoughts?

Probably could use more stuff huh? Maybe more instruments? or what (for the mix)?

>tfw I'm better at sampling than you
clyp.it/u44hakqy

I vibe with this, a bit long imo.

yeah voice a bit too close to the foreground, push it back and do what the other user said. otherwise pretty dope

not a fan, idk what i'd change

sounds kinda like an OPN wannabe but without the finesse or subtlety

great idea, work on your mixing. all of the shit is in my right ear. also the mix is a bit muddy, I think it's your piano idk. also what sounds like white noise in the background isn't a needed addition if you can find a better sound to fill that in

sick af bro, i love that shit. piano is a bit muddy as other dude said. around the 3:20 mark you have a very mellow piano that conflicts with the fast-paced bg loop. What violin sounds do you use btw?

it was good until the drop. srsly my guy. remove that fucking bass otherwise its good.

not shit but the levels for this are all over the place. work on your mixing. also the high hat sounds really flat, not sure why that is.

my fav shit in this thread. you got a soundcloud or something?

>you got a soundcloud or something?
every fucking time. I don't shill here. Let me hear something of yours user you deserve feedback after all that^

i have a shitty recording of a jam sesh. told my friend to play a steady piano rhythm.

eventually ill prod actual music

also its not shilling if people ask for a soundcloud bro, your shit is sick

im dumb lol here it is
clyp.it/d2lvugsm

late as fuck but im done for the day. prob start on the mix monday cause its cluttered. rate me nig nogs
clyp.it/2422cpsx

well well well i forgot to unmute the hi hats

>electric acoustic
>potato mic
a true /prod/ paradigm.
Honestly, not bad. A common mistake when ripping freely like this is going into complex rhythm too soon. Focus more attention on breaking into familiar riffs and melodies before you hit those triplets. I think the tempo might be a little fast for both of you too. But yeh, a really nice memorable riff is more satisfying than finger magic tricks. All the best knew this.

t. not even a guitar player (so take the advice with a grain of salt)

ty, ill definitely work on pacing in the future

whoops i'm tired

I'm still really fucking new to this whole thing, but I attempted some industrial electronic sort of thing today.

I'm trying to get more of a harder "crunch" on the kick and don't really know how to do that, and I'm also trying to add a more metallic ambience to the track aside from the existing reverb, but I can't seem to do that without muddying up the whole thing (which you can hear pretty badly)

Here's the draft as is, tips/feedback would be really appreciated.

clyp.it/owspxgkv (embed)

>it was good until the drop. srsly my guy. remove that fucking bass otherwise its good.

It's kinda my style. I really like adding growls.

But i'll keep your opinion in mind. Any suggestions on what I should put there instead?

How about this?

clyp.it/lqzeqzw2

BUMP

HELP! In a past /prod/ thread I had found a really useful infographic about instruments and their sound frequencies, with tips about where to boost them to add body and clarity, and where to reduce them to avoid muddiness and I lost it! Someone knows which one I'm talking about? Please post it if you do!

Guess what this is a clone of :^)
any tips on how to continue? Kind of new to producing. I'm bad at making melodies, for the most part. I really suck at scales and melodies...
clyp.it/yp4is2ab

Hey /prod/

So I'm looking at getting a condenser mic, I noticed the sE X1 has a USB version which is the same as the normal version but works as an audio device

Would the sound quality be about the same? Or would I get a better sound with a dedicated audio interface?

Thanks man. I used Chris Hein Solo Violin. One of of the most realistic libraries imo

it doesn't have the right amount of tension and release, it's muddy and noisy all throughout, however if you work on it it's a good pop song

this is pretty cool, but I think the synths/pads are a bit too loud during that middle part, this works as pretty good ambience

ehh, it sounds and feels like 2 months into FL Studio

look at a spectrum analyzer and look at what you're missing, for starters there's no low end in the track and there's a lot of silence in between string stabs for example. you have to layer and add background sounds

pretty dope, only piece of feedback I have is that I'm not a big fan of that kick, kinda sounds like a highcut trance kick

it's ok but still sounds amateur, sounding kinda empty

pretty great but too quiet for that sort of thing

>pic related
don't know if this is the one but pretty useful nevertheless

eh, you just threw in a bunch of drums but it's excusable since you're new

I rarely notice the difference with my Focusrite so I doubt it

clyp.it/2xmz5twl
tell me what you think

cool vibes but mix is all over the place, weak drums, volume levels are wrong, no treatment, kinda sounds like you just got into this famu

yeah just got in this week
i'll work on my mixing skills, thanks

>just threw in a bunch of drums
this is 100% copied beat by beat from deadmau5. are you talking about the samples? yeah, they're not great, i don't have a huge library and don't really know how to master/mix for "feel"

I've been playing piano and other instruments for over 15 years and want to try my hand at producing some songs so I have couple questions.

How possible is it to make music without hardware (besides a pc)? I don't have any hardware for recording and I'm a bit strapped for cash atm, might be able to get some stuff in a couple months(not even sure what to get first) but for now I only have my laptop.

Is Linux good enough? I use Linux for everything and don't really want to go through installing Windows, I'm very happy with Linux and I'm really used to it. I found a couple DAWs for Linux, especially Non caught my eye, but I'm not sure which one is good. There's also the Hydrogen drum machine which I've already been using for a while, I set up a beat and practice to it.

you make it using samples and virtual instruments
There's a free DAW for Linux I believe.

I have some ideas that I don't know what they are or will be or if they're dead in the water

clyp.it/boaowlk5

clyp.it/30xkoflh

clyp.it/fv24ytpr
Been working on this for a while. Not sure what else to do with it.

get a torrent on your pc
make an account on rutracker
search up "your program" rutracker
translate instructions
enjoy

>translate instructions
You make it sound so simple ha

if you use google chrome, there's an auto translate button

hi guys

just wondering if anyone good at making
supersaws could tell me how to make this sound

catchy hook sound @ :58

youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jnMclUHjc

thanks bros

Second one sounds good.
I'd ditch the first .

yeah but the results..

I'm a dummy, but that sounds like two oscs with a fine tone diff between them, with a high end filter and very high freq chorus effect.

how did they make this piano noise

I'm talking about the lower note that sounds kind of out of tune

youtube.com/watch?v=2h4syppM9dA&index=6&list=FLvZF6vXG8sUutyCraNL49TQ