/daily/ - "haikus" edition

daily is alive
we listen to bad music
come join us friendo

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

person918x.tumblr.com/post/151424311816
psalters.bandcamp.com/album/the-divine-liturgy-of-the-wretched-exiles
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mickey_newbury/looks_like_rain/
hrrecordings.bandcamp.com/music
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/devo/hardcore_devo__vol__1__74_77/
youtube.com/watch?v=l7kKWu0prvc
youtu.be/lTP-Clo62Dg
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nicolas_collins/it_was_a_dark_and_stormy_night/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/copernicus/nothing-exists/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ground-zero/革命京劇-_revolutionary-pekinese-opera_-ver_1_28-_kakumeikyogeki_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marshall_mcluhan/the_medium_is_the_massage/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-nihilist-spasm-band/no-record/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/les_sculpteurs_de_vinyl/memory_and_money/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/martin_tetreault/la_nuit_ou_jai_dit_non/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bernard_parmegiani/de_natura_sonorum/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/heiner-goebbels-and-alfred-harth/goebbels-heart/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/globe-unity-orchestra/globe-unity-67-and-70-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма_казма/пляски_трубадуров/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/foma-and-yarn/foma-and-yarn/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ivanov_down/best_urban_technical_noises/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/сховайся/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/цукор-біла-смерть/манірна-музика-manirna-muzyka/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская_оборона/реанимация/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_spoils_of_war/the_spoils_of_war/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/index_f3/the_index__aka_the_black_album_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/егор-и-опизденевшие/прыг-скок-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ၼၢင်းၼၢင်း/လက်ရေးစဉ်_ဝေားများ__le_ywei_sin_tei_mya_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fela-anikulapo-kuti-and-afrika-70/zombie-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tarika_blue/tarika_blue/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marijata/this-is-marijata/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_lafayette_afro_rock_band/malik_f1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_souljazz_orchestra/resistance/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cloudberry_jam/providing_the_atmosphere/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tony-allen-hits-with-the-africa-70/jealousy-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gyedu_blay_ambolley/simigwa/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/baby_huey/the_baby_huey_story__the_living_legend/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/james-brown/the-payback/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/james-brown/love-power-peace_-live-at-the-olympia_-paris_-1971/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/betty-davis/betty-davis/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/demon_fuzz/afreaka_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lee_dorsey/yes_we_can/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/peter_king/shango/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/curtis-mayfield/superfly-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lizzy_mercier_descloux/mambo_nassau/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/william-onyeabor/atomic-bomb-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/geraldo_pino/heavy_heavy_heavy/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince/dirty_mind/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-ra/strange-celestial-road-4/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/t_p__orchestre_poly_rythmo_de_cotonou/reminiscin_in_tempo__african_dancefloor_classis/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gary_wilson/you_think_you_really_know_me/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/cold_heat__heavy_funk_rarities__vol__1__1968___1974/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/african_scream_contest__raw_and_psychedelic_afro_sounds_from_benin_and_togo_70s/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for mike

first/second/third for typically shite summaries

>Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower: An Archival Collection
Pere Ubu are an annoying band. A lot of their music is only good, never managing to be truly great and I'm not sure why it is really. Only thing I can say is the songs that really work are the ones where they have wonky guitar lines over the top (Untitled, Cloud 149) but when those aren't there the songs are just alright. This review reads pretty negatively but I do like them I just don't get why they're held up as one of the post-punk greats (apart from the fact that they were early). 3.5/5

>Timmy Sells His Soul - Compulsory Pleasure
I don't see the concept of 'hyper reality' here but it was actually pretty fun, some decent synthy pop stuff and the vocaloid even managed to work quite well. And look at that album art, I'm still not sure if Rod has memed me but 2.5+/5

Get in tha plug I'm playing trash

just hopt out tha plug due to fish playing trash

oh wow that is trash!

can u remembr my login for me

username: Darklands
password: 420smokecock

it's actually cocks plural but I'm in thanks

i've released 2 albums on the label that album's on if that's any indication.
the album cover is satirical. note the artist's webcomics:
person918x.tumblr.com/post/151424311816

during rehearsal today my orchestra conductor mentioned "nasty vibrato" and proceeded to very vigorously perform vibrato on his hand and i'm still laughing at that image

Lalo Schifrin - Bullitt (1968)
>film score, jazz-funk

Bullitt is a cool movie, and it's got a damn cool score, but it's a score that definitely works a lot better in the context of the movie than when listened to alone. With the movie it works so well with Steve McQueen just being a really cool motherfucker, but alone the campiness of it is really amplified, and it really doesn't have much of a leg to stand on musically, it's not memorable. That being said, it's still definitely pretty enjoyable, Schifrin composes some memorable melodies and it's groovy as hell with some great cheesy jazz-funk guitar and bass, but the more fully orchestrated pieces are overbearingly corny and the score doesn't work very well on it's own.

2.5-

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues (1983)
>new wave, art pop

Their most obviously poppy, obviously '80s work up to this point, but that's not a bad thing at all. The loss of Eno and Belew is definitely felt, making for a much more streamlined, less frenetic album than it's predecessor, but the band makes up for these losses with some incredible pop songs and some great influence from synth funk. The major problem of the album is that some songs definitely go on for to long, especially the three songs on the b-side that aren't "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)", the album's best track and one of the best Talking Heads songs, but they're still groovy and danceable, and Byrne's vocals are as neurotic and entertaining as ever. Like I said, the b-side (save for /the/ song) is a bit lacking compared to the wonderful a-side ("Making Flippy Floppy" is probably the funkiest, stupidest, and most underrated Talking Heads track), and they do lose a little in their poppier incarnation, but this is about as good as '80s pop gets.

3.0-

either way glad you enjoyed. i heard that the vocals are english words being approximated using japanese characters. i could ask the owner what he used on it because i remember him telling me about it.

>Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Not much interesting here. A few of these were familiar because I grew up in America, but the recognition wasn't enough to engender good feelings. Truly pretty bland, for me. A few good moments (end of The Chain, more than anything else) but overall seems afraid of being challenging. Which is a shame because there's nothing to suggest a lack of skill or talent, just a lack of vision. offensively uncreative, but not unpleasant. "Sounds ok" I guess, so 3.0---

the album cover is spectacular

@Torts
psalters.bandcamp.com/album/the-divine-liturgy-of-the-wretched-exiles

it's so good.
andoptions.bandcamp.com/
likely one of the most visually appealing bandcamp pages i've ever seen.
idk what this is for but you're going to win it.

Already heard :0

And it has Squishy Moments too which is one of my favorite pieces of cover art

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mickey_newbury/looks_like_rain/

???

Been meaning to check that one out. Added!

i have a place for you then
hrrecordings.bandcamp.com/music

:0
wasnt on your rym i think
next best thng

Don't worry man, only kidding

i listened to your latest release btw, pretty chill, I really liked I Deserve This even if it's short. Can't provide any constructive criticism really since I know nothing about electronic music but I just wanted to say it was nice.

cool i did wonder what was going on with it. was that what he was going for with the hyper reality? i didn't get too much of a sense of weird unrealness or anything

top tier album cover, im gonna be disappointed if this isn't to my liking

Yeah this is the label where I listened to Squishy Moments
NEVER is an awesome record. Kaiba is 10/10.

Never plugging again in my friggen life.

fish told me you're really into epic meal time and i had no idea how to respond...

glad ye liked. will hopefully have more loopy ambient stuff out soon, in a much more spacious and choral style.
most of his albums are entirely digitally produced. i believe it has something to do with it being the acoustic pop of the future. i'll ask him about it.
i listened to Its Too Cold By The Ocean today. that one's probably going to be a strong 8 for me. the Terri Howards EP is also amazing. great label. glad i have something up on there.

>first second on Grist Mill
fucking dropped

it's Shifting Blame isn't it

yeet

Yeah I've listened to about 4x as much music as I've rated. Literally today I noticed that I hadn't rated even a single Residents album...

if you ever come to plug again I'm coming to canada and finding you

full house don't lie

come plug its LIT

ja

ja

ja

ja

Oh damn it's boys club? I'm in

Did you know that shitposting existed in the No Wave era?

Pere Ubu was definitely a grower for me; I think David Thomas' vocals are the hardest thing to get into, but I feel like the band would not be the same without manic fat guy screaming

Check out:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/devo/hardcore_devo__vol__1__74_77/

>tfw to intelligent too plug

youtube.com/watch?v=l7kKWu0prvc

check out my rap battle

holy shit that pic is so awful

bebebebebewww

>Ride - Going Blank Again
A pretty big step downward compared to Nowhere in my opinion. Everything about this just felt so uninspired and generic. Everyone talks about how this album is supposed to be super happy and blissful, but it just feels so sterile and lifeless. The singing just didn't mesh with the guitar playing very well and there was no wall of sound to cover it up. I enjoyed the first and last tracks the most, but everything in the middle was totally forgettable.
5/10

Too busy to write a review, but this album was disappointing :/

(lol)

jangl you're a massive hypocrite if you don't write a review right this second

plug

really think I need to expand myself.

I'll expand dat boipucci

you sure do user. what do you feel like listening to rn or soon?

you're expanding my dingus, that's for sure

something based on my chart I guess.

Based in your chart I'd recommend suicide

my guess is you haven't been exploring music for too long
all I can say is keep exploring, dig into genres you like
you'll expand your tastes with time

go to rym
look up an album you like
go to one of the genre tags that looks nice
go through the chart of the highest rated albums from that genre

Any recs? Preferably not avant-prog since I know about most of it, I just haven't gotten around to listening yet.

Anything dada-esque, psychedelic, of any genre. Foreign is best.

Gratzie

Have you heard Love Live Life? If not listen to Love Will Make a Better You by them. Japanese psych rock. Heard it recently and really dug it.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm looking for rock music that is totally absurd, energetic, and experimental. Gimme watcha got

P Model - Scuba
Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
Raccoo-oo-oon - The Cave of Spirits Forever
Usti Waya - From Dust, We Rise
Mordan Jaikel - True History
Mimir - Mimyriad
V. Sinclair - Balance
Shit and Shine - Ladybird

I have only heard of them, I have yet to listen. Looks like it would be a fantastic fusion of genres.

What style are you looking for instrumentally? Like, name some instruments outside of the basics that you'd like to hear in the music

I'm assuming you know about Robert Wyatt? Rock Bottom, Shleep...

I have heard these, but yes, I liked both of these a lot. Sorry for the double post

I don't think I'm too particular about what instruments show up. But it's cool to see what people do with your average rock instrumentation.

As for style, surprise me.

Kraftwerk - K4

Early Kraftwerk that is even more krautrocky than their debut. Doesn't sound like any other krautrock album to me.

youtu.be/lTP-Clo62Dg

1080-P

seconding Mordan Jaikel

reccing these (though you've probably heard some of them)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nicolas_collins/it_was_a_dark_and_stormy_night/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/copernicus/nothing-exists/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ground-zero/革命京劇-_revolutionary-pekinese-opera_-ver_1_28-_kakumeikyogeki_/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marshall_mcluhan/the_medium_is_the_massage/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-nihilist-spasm-band/no-record/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/les_sculpteurs_de_vinyl/memory_and_money/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/martin_tetreault/la_nuit_ou_jai_dit_non/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bernard_parmegiani/de_natura_sonorum/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/heiner-goebbels-and-alfred-harth/goebbels-heart/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/globe-unity-orchestra/globe-unity-67-and-70-1/

K4 is so often overlooked
Great album

I love rhe campiness of Bullitt, not gonna lie. Figured you wouldn't like it as much though. Can't believe you hadn't heard that Talking Heads album but I'm glad you dug it.

Have you heard White Noise - An Electric Storm?

aye those early Zappa choices

Maybe you'd enjoy An Evening With Wild Man Fischer ?

EX HK. by Hans Krüsi

and thus the backlog has been conquered yet again, tune in next week...

Infidel? / Castro! - Bioentropic Damage Fractal (2005)
>sound collage, noise, drone

An absolutely massive mixed bag, but with some very high highs. The shorter tracks are pretty worthless, just lame exercises in spastic, wacky, Zorn-esque grindcore. Just really forgettable at best and irritating as fuck at worst. The long, drone pieces, on the other hand, are quite nice. They're definitely too long, and they contribute massively in bloating this album more than I thought an album could be bloated, but they build up incredibly nice, they've got dynamics down, and they're uncharacteristically pretty. They fit poorly with the spastic metal, but taken alone they're really nice. Nothing extraordinary, and a /huge/ mixed bag, but worth a listen.

just based on yer favorites

mac: cleaners from venus, doc corbin dart, the dentists, polaris, the soft boys, teenage fanclub, shintaro sakamoto
dg: clipping, company flow, dalek, the beatnigs, man bites dog, techno animal
BBNG: batsmi, flying lotus, john mclaughlin/mahavishnu orchestra, love cry want, sun ra, hermann szobel, zappa
radiohead: nick cave, the durutti column, brian eno, king crimson, thee more shallows, pulp, tful282, the verve, ween

the 13th floor elevators, 35007, bardo pond, hal blaine's psychedelic percussion, circuit rider, flower travellin' band, mort garson, the grodeck whipperjenny, high rise, index, jacks, love live life, bruce palmer, LRD, michael yonkers, and yura yura teikoku

why yoko ono/plastic ono band out of curiosity

You are really gay.
You are really, really gay.
You are gay, OP.

It's so completely different from the perfectionism of Kraftwerk albums. Like it was made 5 years earlier than their first album. Heavy metal certainly doesn't come to mind when thinking of Kraftwerk

I've heard this and Silver Apples, yeah

Have not heard of it. I'll cheque it. Not sure if you're being ironic but Krusi is far removed from rock of any sort

oh shit I missed the rock part

check out An Evening With Wild Man Fischer perhaps?

Can you guys help me expand my taste?

here, not going to type that out and I don't want to fill up more thread space than needed with a copy/paste

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1964)
>cool jazz, television music

Doesn't live up to the lofty standards set by A Charlie Brown Christmas, but a nice, easy listen nonetheless. I think my favorite thing about the Christmas record is Guaraldi's idiosyncratic, freeform interpretations of traditional Christmas carols, and these interpretations are definitely missed here. Guaraldi can be a wonderful composer, because "Cast Your Fate to the Wind", and "Christmas Time Is Here" are some of my favorite jazz pieces ever, but his major talent lies in arranging, and a lot of these original compositions here aren't up to snuff with some of his arrangements. "Linus and Lucy" is wonderful as always, and the tracks where the Trio experiments with a fuller, lusher sound are cool, but nothing else here really stands out, I'd definitely consider this to be background music. But it's really pleasant, chill, nostalgic background music, so I can't fault it terribly much, even though I'm slightly lukewarm on this.

2.5+

trust me, i'm shocked i hadn't heard it yet either. and i still haven't heard fear of music.

just keep exploring music

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма_казма/пляски_трубадуров/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/foma-and-yarn/foma-and-yarn/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ivanov_down/best_urban_technical_noises/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/сховайся/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/цукор-біла-смерть/манірна-музика-manirna-muzyka/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская_оборона/реанимация/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_spoils_of_war/the_spoils_of_war/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/index_f3/the_index__aka_the_black_album_/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/егор-и-опизденевшие/прыг-скок-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ၼၢင်းၼၢင်း/လက်ရေးစဉ်_ဝေားများ__le_ywei_sin_tei_mya_/

Oh man, I'm predicting a lot of 2.5s on this one. Maybe try the Mick Jenkins, I'm curious to see what you think.

fair, they both use the same 10/10 backing band anyways

that was the answer I was looking for! Thank you!

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (1973)
>jazz fusion, jazz-funk

"Chameleon" is a jazz-funk classic for a reason. It's got the tighest, most danceable drum beat in history, and that synth line is infectious. For being sixteen minutes long, it's also remarkably laid-back and just straight-up fun to listen to, it never gets old and every solo is just as lovely as the last. "Sly" is the only other track here on the level of "Chameleon", but it's a wonderful track in it's own right. Hancock is really great at making long pieces feel like short pop songs, and his chill as hell work on the keyboards will never get old, even if it may be a bit dated. The other two tracks are definitely less interesting, mainly because they last for far too long and they're too repetitive, but they're still decent enough, save for all those weird synth flute and vocal effects on the otherwise groovy "Watermelon Man". I don't think this is quite the genre-defining classic it's made out to be, but it's such a fun, enjoyable record that doesn't really matter. Empyrean Isles is still better though.

3.0-

you might be right for now, but eternal rhythm is a fucking guaranteed new favorite of mine

a don cherry album with gamelan influences just shoot me now nothing can be better than that

no problem!

whoever said that they would not listen to the cliantele because I liked them last thread is a massive cock

hello friends

The Molochs - America's Velvet Glory (2017)
>garage rock, folk rock, indie rock

Decent enough little throwback album. Derivative as /fuck/, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Jonathan Richman, among others, are all mined from here, and the Molochs do very little to distinguish the sounds they're ripping off and make them their own. They're pretty talented songwriters, and the instrumental work is cozy, but nothing about this album stands out at all, and it could pretty much be considered a flat-out ripoff of about a dozen different artists.

2.0-

well, so are you, to be completely honest, montie-poo

How was Shakara? do you like afrobeat? if so I have a little rec for you.

Judy Henske & Jerry Yester - Farewell Aldebaran
The Spoils of War - s/t
Cluster - Cluster II
AMM - AMMMusic
Shin Joong Hyun - Beautiful Rivers & Mountains
The C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell
Gal Costa - Gal
Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron
Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies - The American Metaphysical Circus
Freak Scene - Psychedelic Psoul
Parson Sound -s/t
Space Needle - The Moray Eels Eat the Space Needle
Ultimate Spinach - s/t
Yuri Morozov - Cherry Garden of Jimi Hendrix
The Devil's Anvil - Hard Rock from the Middle East
Peter Walker - Second Poem to Karmela
John Fahey - Days Have Gone By

y'know what fuck that this albums a 0.5, it's boring as hell.

i definitely liked it. i love fela and afrobeat and i've heard better from the genre than shakara, but i still liked it.

Have you taken a listen to pic related?

Hedzoleh Sounds definitely give Fela a run for his money

i haven't, but i've had it downloaded forever. i'll definitely give it a listen soon!

Can I get some recs here? I'm looking for jazzy funk, funky jazz and psychedelia. Anything goes tho.

Thanks a lot :)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fela-anikulapo-kuti-and-afrika-70/zombie-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tarika_blue/tarika_blue/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marijata/this-is-marijata/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_lafayette_afro_rock_band/malik_f1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_souljazz_orchestra/resistance/

Did hampus really go to a frat party and start playing jazz one time? The fuck is wrong with him?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cloudberry_jam/providing_the_atmosphere/

LOL

shit I wish I could do that. Fucking alpha man.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tony-allen-hits-with-the-africa-70/jealousy-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gyedu_blay_ambolley/simigwa/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/baby_huey/the_baby_huey_story__the_living_legend/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/james-brown/the-payback/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/james-brown/love-power-peace_-live-at-the-olympia_-paris_-1971/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/betty-davis/betty-davis/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/demon_fuzz/afreaka_/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lee_dorsey/yes_we_can/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/peter_king/shango/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/curtis-mayfield/superfly-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lizzy_mercier_descloux/mambo_nassau/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/william-onyeabor/atomic-bomb-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/geraldo_pino/heavy_heavy_heavy/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince/dirty_mind/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-ra/strange-celestial-road-4/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/t_p__orchestre_poly_rythmo_de_cotonou/reminiscin_in_tempo__african_dancefloor_classis/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gary_wilson/you_think_you_really_know_me/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/cold_heat__heavy_funk_rarities__vol__1__1968___1974/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/african_scream_contest__raw_and_psychedelic_afro_sounds_from_benin_and_togo_70s/

im a lil drunk xd'
music for that feel