Why did people hate this movie again?

Why did people hate this movie again?

Apart from maybe not being feminine enough for general audiences? This was a perfect man's movie. Like pretty much every movie Mann has made.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6DYGWsBTZh8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>johnny depp
>man movie

Pick one

I saw this back when it came out so I'm a little fuzzy on it but IIRC:

meandering plot with no stakes that drags on
characters that you aren't made to care about
too much important plot and action happen off screen only for us to be told about it (the breakout scene) or catch the end of it. Think this was just after mission impossible 3 did it with the heist that the camera stays in the car with the support team and it doesn't work because there's no novelty to it.

>perfect man's movie
i'm sorry i don't associate being a man with low quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=6DYGWsBTZh8

marion cotillard was lovely in it. it was kinda forgettable though

what about that one in las vegas? it was quite heavy

I don't remember it much but I liked it well enough

I think the main problem people have with it is the digital photography in a period setting. I admit I had the same problem and didn't like the film until my fourth viewing, when the digital cinematography became a strength and the film was revealed as one of Mann's greatest and easily the equal of Miami Vice. I hope eventually others can appreciate it as I do.

because it was basically a romance story that was marketed as a gangster movie, and people were expecting the Untouchables, The Departed etc.

On of the worst of Mann's movies. The other one is The Keep.

It was just very forgettable. saved for maybe a few action scenes, namely the forest shootout.

They don't like how it looks. It's one of his many masterpieces imo.

>bringing gender politics into film quality discussion
nah

All his movies are good except for L.A. Takedown and The Jericho Mile, though that is alright for a TV movie.

I fell asleep in it
I have insomnia
and sleep like 4 hours a day

the only movie this has ever happened to before was March of the Penguins

Pretty problematic glorification of violence desu

I literally just watched this movie for the first time on Netflix about 30 minutes ago.

Love story was contrived, not at all believable. Had to watch the credits for cast because I didn't know who Melvin (Bale) was, also he displayed no reasons to commit suicide.

Way too forgettable.

Nice blog.

it's not even on Netflix, but nice try

Well..

Great intro scene, the rest was plain bad.

congrats, you took 10 seconds in photoshop/MS Paint

You're right, there's no possible way it could be on netflix.

>Bravo

I dislked the camerawork and everything felt incoherent. Pity, I really wanted to watch an interesting movie about the Dillinger Gang.

>that blatant shoop overlap in the background

Lol

The shoot outs and bank heists are really well done, but half the runtime is wasted with romance subplots. Plus there are some really amateur sound and filmography fuck ups. You have to actually know some of the history and watch the film a few times to find out who people are, nothing is explained so you don't care about anything.

The shoot outs and bank heists are really well done, but half the runtime is wasted with romance subplots. Plus there are some really amateur sound and filmography fuck ups. You have to actually know some of the history and watch the film a few times to find out who people are, nothing is explained so you don't care about anything.

So close but so far away, could of been an excellent crime thriller but they so for a romantic drama instead. No one cares about one of the many whores Dillinger fucked.