Women in cinema thread

Thread for the discussion of successful female directors

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/name/nm0001901/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fine, I'll take the bait: they haven't directed any films as women

The Matrix trilogy was directed by two men

Epic meme

Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank is one of my favourite films of all time.

Lana wasn't credited as Larry for Cloud Atlas or their most recent film at least

>Hey bro, wanna mutilate our bodies?

>Sure thing, let's cut off our dicks because that's perfectly normal

>FINALLY WE HAVE BECOME THE FEMIMATRIX
What did they mean by this?

Actually, it’s been proven that male born people have a predisposition to making good movies. I’m not saying girls can’t or don’t, but they are the biological exception to the rule. My cousin

This is female Kino

>grills decide to hit on older men

Can we make the essential femalecore chart?

Here, I compiled a list of successful female directors:

Jennifer Yuh Nelson directed this Kino.

I think Kathryn Bigelow female director is the only talented one

Babadook was pretty good -- certainly better than what most female directors churn out.

Fish Tank was amazing.

I respect Kathryn Bigelow for concerning herself with universality more than most female directors. The problem with many of them is they're so goddamn gender-centric that they end up making very one-dimensional films that are often intrinsically feminine -- some people eat that shit up, but unfortunately, as long as women focus on gender issues, there will NEVER be a female who will be listed among the greats.

I honestly believe Andy was forced into it by WB after losing them a metric shit ton of money like four times in a row.

>as long as women focus on gender issues, there will NEVER be a female who will be listed among the greats
People who actually know a little about film recognise Akerman as one of the greats. Your post is awful btw.

Best Panda.

>people who know a little about film
Nice jab

Akerman is decent, but I certainly wouldn't list her as one of the greats unless I was a diversity-obsessed critic who felt the need to include a female.

And why was my post awful?

And which are your favorite Akerman films?

Better yet, who do you rank as the all time greats of filmmaking?

Are you really trying to stump me on the internet?

Here you go imdb.com/name/nm0001901/ ... I love them all lol

What a shame that you can't be a smug faggot online, huh?

>What a shame that you can't be a smug faggot online, huh?
But you can. How?

But yeah, I'll assume you've maybe seen one of her films, tops.

A woman directed dubs kino.

2>1>3 is pretty much most people's order desu.

>But yeah, I'll assume you've maybe seen one of her films, tops.
K. I realize that'd be more comfortable for you. Also, remember to change your fuckin tampon, sweetheart.

Women will always be a sideshow in the arts. Sorry

Now you're just trolling. Either list who you'd rank as the greats of filmmaking or fuck off. I don't need someone who thought fucking Fish Tank was great to be schooling me on the arts.

I never said Fish Tank was "one of the greats". It was just a pretty great film. Entertaining.

>list whom you'd rank as the greats
Do I really need to? Alright then, most of them will be very obvious -- which is kinda what I was alluding to earlier....

Kubrick
Tarkovsky
Bergman
Von Trier
David Lean
Hitchcock
Fellini
Haneke
Dreyer

I don't think I need to continue. I'm sure you'll make an attempt to shit on a couple of them anyway.

Would I include Akerman in a list that would be anywhere NEAR the directors that I just listed? Certainly not.

Akerman is an acquired taste and your favorite directors are mostly very mainstream and accessible.

>Point Break (1995)
>Hurt Locker
>Zero Dark Thirty

>The director is a female.

There you go.

>taste and your favorite directors are mostly very mainstream and accessible.

This guy must be a patrician taste.

Show to us.

>I never said Fish Tank was "one of the greats". It was just a pretty great film. Entertaining.
You called it amazing.
>Kubrick
>Tarkovsky
>Bergman
>Von Trier
>David Lean
>Hitchcock
>Fellini
>Haneke
>Dreyer
Akerman is easily better than half your list.
>I don't think I need to continue. I'm sure you'll make an attempt to shit on a couple of them anyway.
So the greats of filmmaking are limited to 10 directors for you? Or are there more and including Akerman would just be pandering to diversity needs?
>Would I include Akerman in a list that would be anywhere NEAR the directors that I just listed? Certainly not.
Funny, because your list has a couple middlebrow filmmakers and a few more that fall short of great.

>mostly very mainstream and accessible
Way to move the goalposts there, sweetheart. It doesn't change the fact that there are directors that are pretty much universally recognized as "the greats" -- and one of your peers almost never makes the cut. Why? Because most of them are fucking small.

Anyway, if you want to have a discussion about the greatest art-film directors, that might be a different scenario; however, the women would still be eclipsed by the men. But then again, I guess I'm just a chauvinist bigot, right?

>easily better than half your list
And with that, the rest of your post immediately became unworthy of a response.

How convenient for you.

>Akerman is easily better than half your list
You forreal, m8? Kek

>responds anyway

>reading comprehension

>directors that are pretty much universally recognized as "the greats"
Von Trier or Haneke? Universally recognized as the greats? What universe.

In the 90's they looked like every shitty European electronic group on the planet

Ok, fair enough, those 2 would be exceptions; nevertheless, I'm as certain as I could possibly be, that history will remember at least Von Trier as such.

Anyway, I could've continued that list, but it would be a banal waste of time -- especially considering the fact that I'm bickering with a contrarian who's simply concerned with including a female cause she wants to posture a bit.

>But then again, I guess I'm just a chauvinist bigot, right?
No, you're a tryhard who doesn't know what he's talking about. Your list of greats (which is just a top ten list) looks like that of someone who dabbles in film. Which is fine, except that you're pretending to be an authority.

What's wrong with Fish Tank?

>dabbles in film
>just a top 10 list
What do you expect, a bunch of fucking obscure avant-garde filmmakers? Someone wanted a list of the greats, and I wasn't about to compile a long ass list so that I could impress a bunch of lonely, do-nothing neckbeards.

Oh, and your samefagging is pretty obvious, m8

>Anyway, I could've continued that list, but it would be a banal waste of time
What makes a waste of time banal?
>especially considering the fact that I'm bickering with a contrarian who's simply concerned with including a female cause she wants to posture a bit.
My list of greats is much longer than 10 filmmakers, and it happens to include Akerman, because she's a significant talent and has made wonderful films. I'd put Elaine May on my list as well, along with some of the filmmakers are your own list.

>What do you expect, a bunch of fucking obscure avant-garde filmmakers?
I want you to concede that you're being ridiculous.
>Someone wanted a list of the greats
I wanted your list, because I knew it would be dumb. And it was.
>and I wasn't about to compile a long ass list so that I could impress a bunch of lonely, do-nothing neckbeards.
You're missing the point.
>Oh, and your samefagging is pretty obvious, m8
Should be obvious which posts are mine- I always quote the poster I respond to.

>What makes a waste of time banal?
"The list", dipshit. The list would have been banal, because it would have consisted of mostly very obvious filmmakers. And then there's the fact that we're on the internet, and unlike you, I'm not concerned with attempting to impress people with esoteric bullshit that anyone could easily look up.

But I'm very impressed that you're familiar with the Criterion collection, user. Very good.

Oh yeah? Well you're a poopy head lol

>"The list", dipshit.
Yes, how stupid of me. This truly has been a banal waste of time.
>The list would have been banal, because it would have consisted of mostly very obvious filmmakers.
I get that, but as you worded it, it sounded like it was the waste of time itself that was banal. Maybe you should learn how to use words.
>And then there's the fact that we're on the internet, and unlike you, I'm not concerned with attempting to impress people with esoteric bullshit that anyone could easily look up.
Yes, can't be bothered with such banalities.
>But I'm very impressed that you're familiar with the Criterion collection, user. Very good.
This is what I thought when I saw your list of great directors.
Banal wit.

I know you're attempting to be smart, but there was nothing wrong with my grammar. See, when you say "this has truly been a banal waste of time", you're referring to the conversation, which makes it a bit more ambiguous; whereas I was referring to "that list" which I could have continued, but would have also been a waste of time.

>banal wit

>You're being ridiculous
>Your list wus dumb
>missing muh point
You get what you put in

Try harder

>mfw Hugo Weaving mentioned in an interview that Agent Smith voice was mostly based on the brothers. Considering how deep their voices were.

So does HRT fuck up their voices too?