Why do you people literally only talk about the same 100 or so albums here?

Why do you people literally only talk about the same 100 or so albums here?

we're stupid

Why do normies talk about the same 10 or so topics
Why do most people repeat the same 50 or so jokes

Sup Forums is just a meme board.
it was never actually meant for music discussion.

That's really not the case

You are browsing Sup Forums too much

You are getting too involved in "board culture" and it is distracting you from the thing you actually came here for- music

try to post something else and you'll just get ignored. plus most people like to argue about stuff they've already heard, not find new stuff.

Sup Forums is a fairly pleb board these days, the board culture user to be all about finding interesting new music but now people are content to listen to the latest pitchfork bnms and classics only

7 Death Grips albums
7 Radiohead albums
6 Beatles albums
6 Pink Floyd albums
6 Kanye albums
6 David Bowie albums
4 AnCo albums
3 Weezer albums
3 Swans albums
3 GY!BE albums
3 Aphex Twin albums
3 RTJ albums
2 Grimes albums
2 Beach Boy albums
2 Danny Brown albums
2 OPN albums
2 Yes albums
2 Nirvana albums
2 Can albums
2 Tame Impala albums
2 Gorillaz albums
Loveless
ITAOTS
Spiderland
ITCOTKC
TPAB
The Mollusk
Pink Moon
A Promise
TMR
Remain in Light
The Velvet Underground & Nico
American Football
The Glow, pt. 2
Since I Left You
Hot Rats
The Ape of Naples
Madvillaniy
Unknown Pleasures
Paul's Boutique

Because nobody replies to me when I try to talk about something else

that's 94 albums

Missed out Speaking In Tongues.

Cause theres more shitty music out there than good music, just like any other art form including athletics.

Sup Forums is a circlejerk. If you go against the circlejerk you get ridiculed or ignored.

Sup Forums is only like 50 people and everyone of them has shit taste

2 Bob Dylan albums
2 Frank Ocean albums
1 Earl Sweatshirt album
1 Joanna Newsom album

Daydream Nation instead of Earl

I've been here long enough that it's more embarrassing than cool, and my impression is that while we talk about the same albums, the albums shift over time.

Hospice used to dominate this board.
Selling England by the Pound dominated every Genesis conversation.
Burial used to be top-tier Sup Forums-core.
James Blake used to be spammed all over the place.
Kate Bush used to be a nobody around here.

So things shift.

I think the reason we tend to talk about the same albums is because we treat those albums kind of like a "home base." We each have our own musical directions we're going off in, but we can mention those albums and know that everyone will know what we're talking about.

It's a way of establishing common parlance.

Add WL/WH and Long Season

Sup Forums and Sup Forums is generally very conservative. they just have their own brand now, very much how like Hot Topic was the "rebellious anti" brand in malls. That's all Sup Forums is now.

It's why you goto Sup Forums which was originally just politics, and see it turn into a conservative trump circlejerk.

tl;dr theyre closed minded pussies

Let me guess, you made a post/thread about some obscure album with 15 ratings on rym and then were suprised when you got no responses as no-one that saw the thread had heard it.

If people didn't just stick to their stupid generals we'd be more likely to have actually good, varied threads again.

THIS

I pretty much only come here for the metal generals, and actually manage to find albums I've never heard in each thread, and at least 1-2 decent albums per thread

Because if I talked about music I actually liked then it wouldn't be patrician.

all of human languages is just repeated words and phrases

>again

Generals exist because without them the board was the same 3 acclaimed artists in each genre only.

Without /classical/, /jazz/, /bleep/ etch the board was just the p4k forums.

>tfw you realize there is nothing that will ever be profoundly new
Any and all comprehensible communication is rooted in parroting the words of past generations and that any attempt to change is worthless as new ideas are best understood by comparing them to old ones.

>tfw when you stop pursuing meaningless "new" music and simple enjoy what is available
>tfw you find happiness in abandoning novelty experimental music

make Sup Forums great again

seriously like said, it needs to go back to finding new interesting music all the time. i only come here out of habit these days cause all the threads are so god damn boring.

It literally wasn't but whatever you have to tell yourself to justify your insular, walled-off threads

It was though. Take off you rose-tinted glasses.

Where'd you think the "Davis, Coltrane, the list goes on..." meme came from?

At this point I'm just here for the memes

That's exactly why the B&B last.fm group and /bleep/ were started. This board always has and still is fucking laughably bad at bleeps and bloops.

we are young and have too much to discovery yet. Happy interpretation of the case

Sup Forums was never good

man i was fucking ignored last time i published something. my condolences

MORE WELL KNOWN ALBUMS GET MORE REPLIES BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE KNOW THEM ZOMG SHOCK HORROR

How does a persistent, named thread magically educate people?

You're just arguing with yourself
>even after years of /bleep/ we still suck at electronic music
So why have it?

>I am familiar with and like over half the albums listed

I browse this board too much.

>educate people

Does this look like a school classroom to you? This board isn't here for helping 13 year olds first week exploring music outside of the radio.

/bleep/, /jazz/ etc exist for those who have been into music longer than a month who don't want to just circlejerk over the same 3 artists every day of the year because Sup Forums labelled them "patrician" and stuck them on a fucking chart.

Ok, so these knowledgeable users existed before coming here, or before starting to use the general. So why don't they just make their own threads? Why do they need to be corralled into a specific, named thread?

Because Sup Forums drone shitposters and people posting the same threads about the same music everyday will slowly knock the threads off the board, plus they are a smaller group of posters so collectively posting a /general/ ensures between these small groups they can keep a thread going through different time zones about music they like instead of having to fight for the front page between all the same b8, trolls, waifus and FotM spam posted daily.

because they get bumped

You make a lot of sense, but I'm afraid we'll have to keep shiting on the board while not doing anything to help.

Honestly getting bored of posting this image

If threads aren't active enough to stop being pruned then the solution isn't to repeatedly post to keep it alive. If a normal thread bumped itself for the sake of it over and over again it would be retarded, but with generals its ok for some reason.

Why does there constantly need to be a thread? So what if there aren't many people in your timezone that like that stuff. Make a thread. If it survives, cool, have a good time with anons about your genre. If not, then tough luck. Again, the solution isn't to constantly keep shitty threads alive.

>having to fight for the front page
Who doesn't use the catalogue or endless front page in 2017? There's no competition for space these days really, and threads on Sup Forums generally survive for well over an hour after the last post.

You can post it every hour, doesn't make it fact.

These generals exist for all the smaller groups of fans of music that is less popular.

Cry more though, your BS version of an eclectic music board never did it will happen without generals.

*nor will ever happen without

Ah yes, that well known less popular genre, "electronic music".

>Electronic music
>genre

Right up there with string music and brass music.

I have noticed that too.

I shill my favourite punk band from 40 years ago here sometimes though.

pic related

The fact you unironically use the label electronic music only shows the importance of having the sanctuary of /bleep/ moreso.

Ok, my bad, but you kinda prove my point. Imagine if someone did make a "string music general". It would be fucking ridiculous.

Oh no one person who is unlikely to post in an electronic thread regardless of whether it's a general or not used the wrong word. This definitely means we need a """sanctuary""". This is honestly kinda pathetic, unless it was bait.

Because not only are we stupid, but we're cowards, too. Talking about an album that isn't widely loved and vindicated by the press puts us in a position of scrutiny and if there's one thing we're terrified of, it's our taste being put under the microscope. If there's an unspoken understanding, as there is with hugely influential albums like Marquee Moon and Spiderland, then we get to coast.

/bleep/ isn't a general for all electronic music though, that's the point. Electronic music is everything since the 1920s, /bleep/ is for a selection of genres played in European clubs only.

"Electronic music" is not just dance music.

Because when they talk about other albums, they don't get replies and discussions don't get momentum

Perhaps two points to be made here.

Firstly that perhaps Sup Forums is too used to not being challenged. Go to Sup Forums and say something unconventional is your favourite and you'll be expected to back it up. Same with the board-that-shall-not-be-named. Post your opinion and you'll immediately have people bringing up what was wrong with it and arguing with it. But here, I often get the feeling if someone says "It's shit and here's why" people don't feel like/don't know how to defend themselves. So in future they don't bother.

But also, maybe we're too harsh. Music is very subjective so if someone says "I like this album" then who cares. Reply with something you prefer if you don't like it, or ask if they have any other recs.

Or maybe I'm just really tired.

>go to /bleep/
>it's just people chatting and occasionally posting youtube links which get maybe one or two replies
Woah, what a fantastic thread. Sup Forums's taste in European club music would never have advanced without such a high quality discussion area. I take back all of my previous arguments!

Or perhaps most just haven't heard most albums to have an opinion in the first place unless well known or Sup Forumscore.

You're right, I haven't listened to most albums. I'm getting through them though, scheduled to finish some time in the 24th century! (assuming nothing knew comes out before then)

Inorite, why are these people posting new music and having chats and discussions about the music and culture they're interested in and not starting another frog b8 thread about an album from the essentials posted 7,462 says in a row?

The fucks the matter with them?

>you people
>you guys
>y'all
you dont belong here if you refer to yourself as an outsider

Agreed, that's all generals encourage.

this isn't true at all

But there's barely any chatting about the music. That amount of off-topic would normally get a thread deleted but generals are held to lower standards for some reason.

>culture
Ah. At least you admit it I guess.