So I just saw this movie and one of it's major themes is that jazz is slowly dying in America. Basically...

so I just saw this movie and one of it's major themes is that jazz is slowly dying in America. Basically, the film asserts that jazz fans are all old people and that the genre doesn't attract new fans.

Do you think this is true? Is jazz on a major decline in America or does it have a young enough audience?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/trends/explore?date=all&q=/m/03_d0
youtube.com/watch?v=4OLqid9RABs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think that was the case already in the 60s. If you know anything about Miles Davis you know that he tried to reverse this and people gave him a ton of shit about it, like the critic Stanley Crouch.

However, Miles sort of won, because Jazz has influenced a ton of shit since then, so it did kind of mutate and not die.

are u dum

google.ca/trends/explore?date=all&q=/m/03_d0

When in doubt, Google Trends.
I assume the spike in 2015 was from TPAB?

>Pakistan - 83
>Thailand - 100
Is Jazz disproportionately popular in those countries? I know one guy from Pakistan and he really likes jazz.

I actually didn't know this, thanks for the heads up.

the movie is charming

the premise is dumb

>jazz is dying
>no jazz with synthesizers doesn't count
>no jazz fusion doesn't count
>only cool jazz and bop count
>only those two particular styles that were popular between 1940 and 1965
>jazz is dying

if Ryan Gosling had been obsessed with "real rock music" made with "real instruments" and "no bullshit," Sup Forums wouldn't have any trouble noticing how much bullshit his character is

youtube.com/watch?v=4OLqid9RABs

absolutely haram

thats because it sounds better

"Le jazz is dieing" is just a device to make his mission of starting a jazz club seem more interesting. Jazz has been at a steady level of non-popularity since the 80s. In fact, jazz definitely influences the mainstream more in the 2010s than in the 80s or 90s. Jazz is far past saving as a mainstream form, but just like the oldest forms of folk and classical music, it'll never truly "die"

Also, while the movie is not an accurate representation of jazz, that doesn't really matter. Is The Lion King an accurate representation of a pride of lions' social structure?

>jelly beta detected

Lalaland is what jazz culture seems like though the eyes of a cracker that doesn't really listen to jazz.

That movie was so dishonest

This would be true if we were talking about jazz pre-1960.

But these days, jazz is mostly bought by old white liberals and heavily taught in schools. The modern jazz scene actually does look like this, except irl, the music is more challenging and there are more black people. The "penniless junkie musician in an alley" cliche is long gone

t. lifelong jazz musician

is this the one where if you say la la land the guy kills you

Chazelle's movies are all about white dudes talking, saving, playing jazz. It's no wonder the Academy sucks his dick.

I can't believe people on Sup Forums even liked Whiplash when it came out.

Uh, no, different movie bud

I live in DC and the jazz scene is still very black. It's like two different scenes though, all the NYC college jazz crackers do come though here too .

la la land bye bye man
>it's like poetry, it rhymes

Jazz was a product of like, the times man

I live in the South and there's a lot of voluntary segregation. There's two major bars in my town; one that attracts the blacks and one that attracts the whites. The black place has a lot of jazz playing but the white place does classic rock.

My guess is a lot of places are like this

Just saw it

I actually laughed when Seb played with Keith for the first time

But jazz is not dying, Seb is cute but he's full of shit
The movie's script is quite thin so they had to make it seem like jazz was facing extinction for Seb's plight to seem interesting, romantic

BBNG, Thundercat, FlyLo are jazz and they're mainstream enough that we can safely say jazz isn't dead, right ?

The movie was still charming
Whiplash was better though

>BBNG, Thundercat, FlyLo are jazz
lel

i knew this would happen
sorry
i honestly don't know what i'm talking about anyway

have you guys watched the movie? seb is clearly shown as closeminded when it comes to jazz, in the argument with john legend he brings the argument up that jazz is evolving and still allive

not him but could you explainhow it is jazz? it sounds like experimental electronic music to me

It's been dead. Rock is on its way in 30 years to being what jazz is now, which makes me sad becauseI make rock/indie music

Ya I'm from New Orleans which is a very black city, and while more than half of jazz musicians are black, most of the audience is still white. Also the scene is supported heavily by universities and nonprofits, which are mostly white institutions. So it ends up looking sort of like La La Land

The only scene that is totally black-run is the hip hop scene

Jazz is dead, I don't care though because there's still thousands of incredible classic albums to listen to that I don't need a modernized form of it to make it cool.

I'd rather not see it turn into some shitty gimmick to become hip with the kids today. People will have bad taste in music no matter what, if they'd rather listen to whatever's currently on the radio then let them.

It just seems awful to throw something away that's shaped cultural history in the US

not him but all of those artists incorporate jazz in some kind of noticeable way. you're dead has some straight up jazz moments.

So does A Tribe Called Quest but you don't see many people arguing that they're jazz.

who's talking about throwing anything away?

It's not being thrown away, you can still enjoy those historical albums. And there will always be people who enjoy jazz and play jazz, even if it isn't mainstream anymore.

As a commercially successful genre jazz started dying with bebop and has been almost completely dead since the mid 60's. However it's become art music and a niche genre that is supported by a small, but dedicated community. The consequence of this is that the actual quality of the music has vastly improved as jazz became less commercial and more artistically driven.

I feel bad for people who can only appreciate music that is socially or commercially relevant.

am i the only one annoyed that the movie is about how real jazz is dead and now it's just pop music, but all the music in the movie is pop music and not jazz??? seriously, there's only one scene in the movie where they go to a jazz club and there's big band music playing, that's the only vaguely jazz thing about this movie

Yes, but after this, we're shown Sebastian performing with John Legend, and it's shot in such a way as to undermine John Legend's point

>happy Emma stone face
>Ryan Gosling playing piano
>so jazzy and cool
>suddenly
>LIGHTS COME UP
>BACKUP DANCERS
>GUITARS
>confused Emma Stone face
>no more piano
>Ryan Gosling plays a little keyboard lick
>Ryan Gosling gives a knowing glance to Emma Stone
>sad smile from Emma Stone
>WOOO LIGHT SHOW

I feel like the movie ended up undermining John Legend's point by portraying the modern market for jazz fusion as vapid and overblown.

Somehow I managed to miss the irony, good observation.

This is only true if you limit your definition of jazz to cool and bop styles. Which, to be fair, it seems like Seb and also a lot of other people do.

jazz musicians sure
jazz fans, nah

I dunno, Kamasi Washington is getting more popular lately.

There were lots of instrumental parts. I wouldn't call that "pop". And they aren't making a documentary on Jazz, they're making a romance movie for mainstream audiences who don't want to listen to a 2 hour Eric Dolphy solo.

I think thematically it's less about jazz purism and more about him being true to himself

>black people invented jazz but now we need a white man to come save/preserve it? sorry this narrative doesn't work for me in 2016
>...his character was what? a sellout? who made uncool pop music?
>furthermore the people of color written into the script were not really important to the story, john legend gave a great performance but ...
>La La Land didn't have a single gay person in it #notmylosangeles
Is Rostam right?

No.

Yes.
Read: I say no to the normalization of this election. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! I have seen those close to me coddle the normalization of a fascist racist movement. I no longer have an outlet to speak out other than here. I will not stand for what is happening and I won't silence myself. "Rant" you say , damn straight I'm angry and scared. There is NO wrong way to oppose what is happening. Honestly is there a wrong way to be outraged at the "alt right", ie: Neo Nazis? NO! Angry? Mad? Sad? Speak up! Do You have a platform ? Speak up ! This is not the time to be quiet ....also never shame someone that speaks out to condemn this shameful turn for America. On my last platform I'm allowed to speak on , I will continue to rub this horrifying reality in our faces, because complacency is the enemy. The worst thing I could do is stay silent when I feel so strongly. We need to be reminded that this is not normal. I don't care how you say it, we can't normalize this hate. Here's a picture of a highway heading into a fog of potential hell. (Feel free to unfollow and yell at me! As a semi public figure i feel obliged and an urgency to speak out regardless of the repercussions....just because I'm a musician that you enjoy doesn't mean I can't disagree and be angry. I'm angry and scared , literally. I hope everyone in opposition is enjoying my liberal tears...they real)

I didn't think crackers could afford to go to college in NYC

spring heel jack bitch

Whiplash is a fantastic movie you pleb

not my tempo