So, I wanna try Sonic Youth, but they're discography is so fucking big...

So, I wanna try Sonic Youth, but they're discography is so fucking big. Please tell what order I should listen to their studio albums in and/or which are worth/not worth listening to. Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_eSq9IkmtgA
youtube.com/watch?v=cAmWkWZiZ50&t=288s
youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Listen to

Sister
EVOL
Daydream Nation
Goo

Then check out either their earlier or later stuff depending on which ones you like most.

yeah, i bet you moan when you give blowjobs.

Okay, thanks

just listen to the Lee tracks.

I tried to listen to Sonic Youth and the lyrics were too fucked up for me. It sounded like it was about blood play or cutting or something. It sounded like some really dark/evil shit, and it made me feel uncomfortable.

hahahaha hell yeah.

been looking for some heavier music recs, you know maybe something like Death or something more black idk much about metal, tryna get into it

yeah, i bet you moan when you have a dick in your mouth.

You won't be sorry.

nah it's more like it feels too much like a painkiller to me. like it's a good feeling and i like them when i'm in the mood but it's not a mood that strikes me all that often recently.

was it EVOL?

I'm pretty sure it was their noisy earlier shit. It just sounded really dark and kind of gross.

after those:
Bad Moon Rising
Dirty
Confusion is Sex
Experimental Jet Set
S/T
Murray Street
Washing Machine

After that point they all kind of rock/suck equally desu

Daydream Nation is by far their best album, but it's a sprawling (glorious) mess. It has the advantage of leading off with one of their most accessible songs (Teenage Riot), and follows with Silver Rocket, a noise punk song with a harsh breakdown even by heir own standards.

But then a bunch of longer songs follow, with soundscape outros, and it can be hard for some new listeners to digest. The rest of the accessible tracks get kind of shuffled towards the back (Candle especially, and Hey Joni)

If you're having trouble with Daydream Nation, maybe try just getting into single songs from the rest of their discography. Dirty Boots, Sunday, Sugar Kane and The Empty Page are all pretty from their alt rock phase, and Schizophrenia, Tuff Gnarl, and Green Light are some of the nicer moments from their earlier phase.

Of course, if you're already into experimental music, disregard this and start with Evol or Confusion Is Sex.

this is great i wanna be in a room with it hahahah i'm loving the guitar solos on it they feel so awesome and the huge organ on woman of dark desires is gnarly

not sure why everyone here ignores the SYR series. try anagrama op it's amazing
youtube.com/watch?v=_eSq9IkmtgA

I've listened only to daydream nation and it feels like a pop rock record.

Maybe it's because I'm used to Locust Abortion Technician and Surfer Rosa?

try this
youtube.com/watch?v=cAmWkWZiZ50&t=288s

daydream nation
evol
sister
goo

if those don't do it for you, then you don't like SY

the eternal was their first album i've ever listened to and i love it but i never see people talking about it

this is cute
such a normie tho

this seems better
thanks user, I was avoiding them because jesus daydream nation is just too accesible

even tho' I'd like a mix of this and some actual riffs

i thought bathory was just edgier, slightly worse burzum but i don't listen to much bm so i probably don't know what i'm talking about

youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk

Takes you back to high school when a black guy stole your 'girlfriend' right?

>even tho' I'd like a mix of this and some actual riffs
then try evol and bad moon rising

goo is probably their worst

They're both geniuses. Bathory was mostly a one-man project, and Burzum is a one-man project. They're both products of one man's creativity and musical versatility.

Wtf is this cuck shit

cool, nice to know

Burzum and Bathory have some pretty big differences. Bathory is first wave BM and Burzum is second wave.

You were avoiding one of the best and most acclaimed rock records of all time because it's "too accessible"? This is next level Sup Forumsposting.

Thurston Moore is just a...

Sup Forums is too pleb for the SYR series.

>anagrama
not OP but this is pretty good!

>edgier
>than burzum

listen to their 80s stuff chronologically + Goo, everything after that is not that good

Rather Ripped underrated as fuck

>blackened death
Say no more

Burzum literally murdered his bandmate. Doesn't get much edgier than that.

But he is one handsome fella.

Rather Ripped is their worst album.

>not knowing Kool Thing
You must be 18 to post here

Electric Wizard, then Sleep, then Eyehategod, then Melvins early stuff, then Church of Misery, Harvey Milk, Pig Destroyer, Converge, Disrupted, Burzum, Mayhem, Xasthur

LEAVE THE FUCKIN HALL

he wasn't his bandmate

They were in Mayhem together briefly. Varg was under the alias Count Grishnackh