Sup Sup Forums. Anyone ever want to build a home theater?

Sup Sup Forums. Anyone ever want to build a home theater?

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. My biggest cost hurdle is sound proofing, but in a house, how necessary is soundproofing if I'm not going theater quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

atsacoustics.com/panels
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on how loud you want that bass

soundproofing is optional, room acoustics aren't. get some basic knowledge on a subject boy

B O O T Y R A T T L I N

Nah just loud enough for immersion but not overly loud in a 20 x 13 or so room

I'd love to. What can you tell me about it the situation?

Do you mean "sound proofing" as in the the stuff in pic related to absorb reflections and make it sound better or do you mean "sound proofing" as in making it quiet/barely audible outside of the room?
If it's the latter I hope you have $$$$$ and a good contractor.

heres "pic related" that I forgot to attach

The first one. The numbers for materials alone to soundproof the room are...prohibitive at best.

I would ideally have the room set up so that sound is clear, but if you are outside of the room it's a little quieter.

Essentially if you were in the living room, you'd be able to hear the theater room but it wouldn't drown out conversation or anything.

If your house is older and constructed out of brick/concrete/similar, it'll already be pretty damn soundproof. If it's wood frame + plaster, just focus on getting a good seal around the door.
As for treating the room, I'm not sure what your budget is, but ATS panels are reasonably priced and don't look gnarly.
atsacoustics.com/panels

Thanks. My budget isn't set in stone (this is more of a hobby than a project) but I want to avoid soundproofing since it's expensive as fuck.

I might replace the interior door with an out door to get that tighter seal.

Nice. Is the red light for show or do you leave it on during the movie? It seems like it would detract.

That was when I first got it and that is also its brightest setting. Generally have it set to slowly fade to random colors on it's lightest setting, or I'll just have it set to a very low, light blue.

Pretty comfy tbqhwy

Can't tell from the picture but it's a full 5.1 system. BIC towers and sub, fluance back speakers.

Whats your budget?

$10K? $15K?

You can get a decent system at those prizes

How big is that tv?
That setup looks expensive btw

Honestly I'm at scrounging phase. This is going to be a multi year project and I have a comfortable income so it's not really a set price.

Ideally I'll stay in the 8000 to 10000 range.

fuck the neighbors blast that shit

Home theaters are obsolete now. Do you also buy buggy whips?

Thats a very reasonable budget. If you're doing this as a hobby/project definitely check out DIY options.
Do you watch movies on a 1366x768 laptop screen and meme headphones?

In your haste to digestpost, it seems you didn't understand my post at all. Sad!

Im in AV and I'll give you one piece of advice.

Imagine what the most badass system that you can see yourself realistically eventually affording (IE: not drooling over $100K speakers or some shit) overall, and then carve out the path to building it over time.

For 8-10K, look at starting with a 2 channel Floor Standing setup + projection, and build it up to 5.1, 7.1, whatever, over time, rather than sinking all your money upfront into a full 5 or 7.1 system.

Also don't let people fool you into thinking the screen is something you should cheap out on. A good screen is very important if quality PQ is important to you.

60inch lg plasma. the tv was probably 800 brand new

tower speakers were like 150 or 200 a piece

subwoofer was like 150 or 200

fluance rear speakers was 150 for the pair

center speaker was like 100 bucks.

and my receiver is a denon, that was like 400 bones.

put together over the course of a year

Unless you want to seat a lot of people, a "home theater is unnecessary. I have a 55" TV, blu-ray and surround sound in a smallish room. It is as satisfying as going to the theater for me because I am close enough to the TV that it seems about as big as a theater screen when you are sitting closer to the back.

No need for soundproofing. Soundproofing is to not annoy your neighbors. If you live in an apartment, forget about it, you will never be able to run a proper powered sub, which is what gives movies their rich sound.

It's more about the aesthetics than actually being a home theater.

Essentially I'm making a fancy tv room.

>Unless you want to seat a lot of people, a "home theater is unnecessary
It certainly isn't necessary but a good projector + big screen + good sound system is a big step above a TV and a HTIB.

>quality, informative thread on Sup Forums

What happened?