Rockism is the cancer killing Sup Forums. You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical...

Rockism is the cancer killing Sup Forums. You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, dance music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!". That's why Sup Forums is all rock, pop, rap and some surface level jazz and bleeps

Other urls found in this thread:

portpcfix.com/wikifusion/index.php/Rockism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism_and_poptimism
youtu.be/xboVY_5a4Yc
youtu.be/rc85cGTlKLY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds#Concept_and_inspiration
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Musical_Joke
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rock is built on anti-establishment ethos
the other stuff is not
dunno' what you expect from misfits and wastrels

Indie rock is literally the only good genre

>You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk
It happens, where are you?
>classical
There's a classical general.
>dance music
There's a bleep general.
>jazz
See above.

Stop bitching and participate. It's your fault.

it's because Sup Forumss average age is like 12 or so

>I, The Witchfinder
bro.............................................you listen to f*cking metal for godsake

Yeah, and a lot of other things.

>rock is built on anti-establishment ethos
>the other stuff is not
What? Like this is objectively false, even when adding punk rock to the mix.

Soul, R&B, certain folk music and jazz have their histories in far more oppressive atmospheres coming from the establishment than anything whiteboy rockers ever had to deal with.

Same with dance music, which has its origins in violent Jamaican spots, the hellhole that is Detroit, and the kind of discrimination gay minorities dealt with in Chicago.

Classical doesn't have that kind of societal anti establishment ethos attached to it, but from an ideological perspective towards how music making is done, in the past 70 or so years classical has gone so far out from the establishment that people still think of the radicalization of classical music and call it it's "downfall" due to how out there it became.

all they ever did was boo hoo complain about their troubles like drunks in a bar

rock, real rock, is weaponized against the establishment

listening to 10 """""different"""" genres of metal doesn't count as other things

That's because they had something to actually complain about, as in there was actual conflict. Rock was never weaponized against the establishment when it WAS the establishment all along.

>because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!"
[citation needed]

Unironically this.

What are your favourite techno singles then

That's not what rockism means.

Not relevant

Waiting for that citation

What do you want a citation for?

>or Jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane

A H E M

>You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, dance music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!".

i just read the defenition and welp that's 100% me id totally prefer things in a cohesive album format

sorry guys :(

There are like three different assertions there, which do you want citation for?

Why does it matter if the good music you are hearing is presented alone or amongst other songs?

All of them

[Citation needed]

Because my musical attention span is about 50 minutes, not 5
for what?

Im still not sure if you want citation showing that dance and jazz arent marketed via concept albums or if you accept that but want citation showing that thats why they arent discussed in depth on Sup Forums

lurk more

Listen to 10 5 minute singles then?

>concept albums
Why are you throwing this "concept" in here? Most albums in general are not concept albums.

get some taste first

That's more work to continually put on different releases.

iut would be easier of I was just listening to one album for that length of time.

Most albums widely discussed on Sup Forums are concept albums, i think all of the "Sup Forums essentials" are

Like what specifically?

i guess i just prefer it to be organized in that way

i've got nothing against it being presented in other ways.

but like, let me give you the example of electronic music. now, i've tried getting into it, but it's a mess, singles everywhere, messy comps, it felt overwhelming just having a dozen singles and stuff to go through.

and then there's the issue of the songs themselves. i like crystal castles, for example, because their songs are still written in a typical pop format, in the same way that a rock band would write theirs.

it's not about having a verse-chorus or whatever, it's more about being able to anticipate how it's gonna go. i understand the movements and it changes in a way that i understand. stepping outside of that (as happens often with some electronic music) it starts to feel ungrounded, and i lose interest.

then again, with a lot of avant-garde and shit i listen to their live albums (or comps or whatever) because then i can hear that progression again.

i'm in no way arguing that one way is better or anything, this is literally just a "my comfort" kind of thing.

Have you ever heard of playlists?

taste is subjective

Retard

It's still easier to put on an album than to sit and collect all the songs and make a playlist.

Everything on here except arguably tvu&
(Although i have never listened to popol vuh so dont know about that)

it would fuck up my archive.

it's the only thing in my life that is at all organized

>playlists
Albums are just playlists made the by the artist themselves. That's what they wanted me to hear anyways

What are the concepts of Pet Sounds, Loveless, TMR and Kid A?

(give citations as well)

But you will widen your taste and knowledge with only minimal effort

Maybe you should step out of your comfort zone more? What is there to lose?

A playlist by an artistis more like a DJ Mix, honestly if you are autistic about singles for some reason you could probably listen to DJ Mixes and podcasts to get into dance.

There is strong artistic cohesiveness on those albums

>But you will widen your taste and knowledge with only minimal effort
I could do that with listened to 10 albums.
Or I could just listen to albums because that's what I like?

there's nothing to lose, and i try it regularly, but like i said, i just end up losing interest

that's the other problem for me getting into electronic music or hip hop. the former i can get into intellectually but doesn't excite me personally and the latter can excite me but i just don't get it intellectually (it's not even a question of like "i feel it's stupid," rather i just can't hear a "story" to it, like it doesn't resonate with me).

don't get me wrong, i don't listen strictly to like "rock" music, i listen to a lot of different stuff, but it always falls into an album format.

You cant gain much knowledge of dance music at all by listening to ten albums

Nice goalpost shifting

Where is the goalpost shifting lol

>dance music
When did I mention dance music at all?

EDM is shit though

If you dont listen to dance music then your taste and knowledge of music will always be strictly limited because you are depriving yourself of hundreds of genres

"artistic cohesiveness" =/= concept

The albums I mentioned are not concept albums at all.

aphex twin and burial are great though

why would anyone want to listen to fucking edm?

What are some shit dance singles that you listened to to come to this conclusion?

listening to 10 """""different"""" genres of dance doesn't count as other things

>he doesn't listen to full albums
>mfw

Well my citation says otherwise, can you prove it wrong with a citation of your own?

fuck if i know
just random shit normies like that gets played in public

>pet sounds
>not a concept album
do you know who phil spector is bud

>i have never listened to dance music but i know its bad by magic

Haha yeah i forgot ragga is the exact same genre as detroit techno. Even though they were developed in different countries and influenced by different genres, cultures and traditions they somehow ended up being exactly the same! How mental!

all edm is the same corporate manufactured garbage, yes

Wouldn't you think i was an idiot if i dismissed rock as a genre because i have heard normies playing shit like McFly, Korn and Avenged Sevenfold in public?

>Well my citation says otherwise
The implications are that all albums are concept albums, which desalinates the term into uselessness. Why do you have poor artistic analysis skills?
>ripping off Phil Spector is a concept
No

>Haha yeah i forgot ragga is the exact same genre as detroit techno. Even though they were developed in different countries and influenced by different genres, cultures and traditions they somehow ended up being exactly the same! How mental!
That's nice.

So do you listen to albums when you listen to non-dance genres?

>Wouldn't you think i was an idiot if i dismissed rock as a genre because i have heard normies playing shit like McFly, Korn and Avenged Sevenfold in public?
Except rock music can be quite good. All edm/dance music/whatever you want to call it is inherently nonlegitimate and garbage.

Where is that implication? The majority of albums are simply collections of songs without any concept or cohesion.

>>ripping off Phil Spector [isn't] a concept
>nuance isn't real because I DON'T LIKE IT AHHHHHHHH

let me guess, wilson should have dealt with and explored "actual concepts," right?

this is a fake screencap, you edited it to include your forced anti-album meme. no relevent voice has said there is anything inherently rock-centric about organizing songs into albums

portpcfix.com/wikifusion/index.php/Rockism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism_and_poptimism

which corporation manufactured this?
youtu.be/xboVY_5a4Yc

I listen to dance albums sometimes, I listen to rock singles sometimes.

Whys that?

fuck if i know
it still sounds like generic shit with disortion

>Where is that implication?
See >The majority of albums are simply collections of songs without any concept or cohesion.
That's what I said here Thanks for agreeing with me
>let me guess, wilson should have dealt with and explored "actual concepts," right?
Yes because that's what an actual concept album is.
>I listen to dance albums sometimes, I listen to rock singles sometimes.
Then what do you care?

EDM is gay and shit! Singles are for normies!!
*Listens to Moth / Wolf Cub*

>2017
>still thinking of overall album releases as a way to judge the works of a musical artist
What the fuck? You guys are dumb. That rockist shit should've ended in the early 2000s when individual computer files of music became a thing. Before the idea of there being like individual FLAC and MP3 files yeah it made more sense to judge by overall releases because that's kinda how a listener was forced to go through a record, but that's not the case anymore. The Album Era is more or less dying/over at this point, and the Playlist era is what exists now. Sure one can still release a concept based LP or a DJ Mix, but that's not all the popular music medium is limited to. Grow up and get hip, grandpas.

IDM is good though. EDM is just trash.

Rock is anti-establishment what?!

I never disagreed with you, i just said that Sup Forums almost exclusively discusses concept albums.
>Yes because that's what an actual concept album is.
[Citation needed]

>Yes
>actual
to reiterate
>nuance isn't real because i don't like it

con·cept al·bum
noun
noun: concept album; plural noun: concept albums

a rock album featuring a cycle of songs expressing a particular theme or idea.
nuance =/= narrative

Otherwise all albums would be concept albums, wouldn't they?

Moth is undeniably EDM idiot, its in 4/4

We both agree that definition is wrong since it specifies rock and we would both agree there are conceptual hip-hop albums. It also doesn't state the themes or ideas have to be lyrical, a cohesive style is an expression of an idea.

Plenty of albums are just a random collection of songs with two or three singles chucked in, which certainly is not conceptual

It doesn't sound like EDM. Burial is more innovative and experimental.

youtu.be/rc85cGTlKLY
Is this also generic shit? How can they both be generic if they sound completely different.

>narrative

the narrative is that wilson built the album around interpretations of spector's sound, emphasis on interpretations since the overall style, attitude and color palette(s) varies greatly from spector
you would know this if you listened to pet sounds in mono, or at least did a cursory read-through on wikipedia lol

it's boring shit you have to be on molly to enjoy
it has no musical worth

Thanks for agreeing with me
>since it specifies rock
Not relevant
>It also doesn't state the themes or ideas have to be lyrical, a cohesive style is an expression of an idea.
How else would they communicate a narrative or unifying concept?
>the narrative is that wilson built the album around interpretations of spector's sound
[citation needed]

t. Guy with no knowledge of EDM
Most of burials output is a genre of EDM called 2-step garage.

It is relevant to the credibility of your source you dimwit. There is blatantly at least one factual error there so it isnt reliable.

Pet Sounds is just a shifty pop album with a few barbershop quartet harmonies with a bunch of songs about >tfwngf chosen because they were the best ditties since the last album lmao

The only reason it's praised is because Yanks are jelly of The Beatles

Psychedelic rock is just boring shit you have to be on acid to enjoy, it has no musical worth :^)

Rock is boring shit you have to be drunk to "enjoy"

EDM is boring, IDM only please!!
*listens to the field*

you's trollin guy

>>the narrative is that wilson built the album around interpretations of spector's sound
>[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds#Concept_and_inspiration

>Wilson stated: "If you take the Pet Sounds album as a collection of art pieces, each designed to stand alone, yet which belong together, you'll see what I was aiming at. ... It wasn't really a song concept album, or lyrically a concept album; it was really a production concept album." He added that the album may be considered an "interpretation" of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound recording methods.

You can communicate a concept without words obviously. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Musical_Joke
Screaming isnt a fucking word but it still communicates things

It's an absurd claim to pretend the reason people don't talk about non rock genres is because they are not cohesive concept albums. If that were true, then this board would love stuff like AMM or Umm Kulthum where their albums are just one giant track, but instead you'd get viewed as pretentious. Most genres have just as much cohesive concept albums as rock and are viewed by rockists on the same level. Where your assumption is so clearly wrong is that this rockist mentality doesn't shut out other genres, what it shuts out is music from before the 60's...and that's why those things aren't discussed here. The reason why non-white genres aren't discussed should be obvious (it's not racism btw).