This was my favorite series as a kid. I've ignored anything that has come out since the original three movies, though...

This was my favorite series as a kid. I've ignored anything that has come out since the original three movies, though. What is worth checking out? Also, has anyone that grew up with the original series rewatched them recently? How do they hold up?

The 2003 is a masterpiece.

Thanks, I remember hearing that that was pretty good. I didn't know it ran for so long. I'll check it out.

The 80's cartoon has aged really poorly. It was a cheap cash in and it starts to show that pretty quickly after the first couple of episodes.

Just a warning that the seasons from Fast Forward and onward are not that good. But make sure to check the Turtles Forever movie after you see the series. It's a pretty good sendoff to the franchise as a whole.

I liked the crossover

Uhh, no it wasn't. Everything about it was garbage, right down to the shitty art style.

And yet that cartoon was more popular than anything else that came after it.

I'm old as dirt. I grew up reading the comics (before the cartoon was even a thing) and playing the rpg (who was made with the help of the guys who wrote/draw the comics).

I haven't ignored what came after, but it never could compare. Except for the first movie. That was alright.

I mean this whole heartedly.

Did you ever read the original comics?
If not, read those. The IDW comics are also pretty good.
The CGI movie is ok, it's a sequel to the original 3 live action movies.
As someone else said the 2003 series is also worth checking out though there's a notable drop in quality later on.
I've seen a couple of episodes of the new show and it's really shitty, but maybe I just happened to see some of the worse ones. I don't like the style at all though.

How did they pull off the old turtles meeting the new turtles?
I'll definitely check out the comics, thanks

Dimensional travel. It was pretty good. There's also a cameo from the original comics turtles.
It's a nice sendout for both serieses.

The cartoon is still breddy good at least the first seasons, before aliens from other dimensions

Just saw the new movie today and holy crap was it bad. Worse than I was expecting.

just keep the memories user

KEEP THE MEMORIES

Watch:
Turtles forever
1990 ninja turtles movie
Out of the shadows 2016
And season 1 of 80's ninja turtles only

2003 turtles is chill. I liked the early episodes and that alien gladiator arc. Showing that splinter was fucking shig up back in the day

Out of the shadows was a fun movie. The turtles were on an adventure and they fought bebop and rocksteady. Shredder didnt giv a fuck that krang was an alien. I mean yea the turtles are set to be super soldiers in this series and it does get cheesy when they went all bro love, but i mean it was a fun movie. I hope someday they make the gritty mirage ninja turtles movie thst we all want.

One of the main problems I have with it is that it feels to me that they're kinda going for a gritty realistic feel but theres all this cheese and really over the top sillyness.

Highly recommend the new IDW TMNT stuff. I don't really like any of the movies. I kind of like the 2003 cartoon. Sometimes they really nail something neat. I really liked the current cartoon at first but fell off.

For me the IDW comics are the best blend of Turtles stuff.

I see your point and understand how trying to play it both ways can keep it from really shining in either way.

it's the same cookie cutter plot in literally every episode.

Pretty bad.

They exaggerated the goofiness of the 80s turtles by turning them into butt jokes for the 2003 cast to make fun of.

80s turtles were cheesy, but they were also kind of cool and serious when the moment called for it, but here, they're no better than beavis and butthead.

I love the original series. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a taste for tongue-in-cheek cheese and constant 4th wall breaking humor.