Have video games surpassed film as a powerful medium for artistic expression?

Have video games surpassed film as a powerful medium for artistic expression?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SPG_1wbSILI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When you buy a washing machine it should come with a laundry basket that indicates how much can fit into the washing machine.

yes. not as recently as e3 2016 though

It's literally some fucking obscure scene that doesn't mean anything.

Seems like kojima-drones will force his shit anyway.

It's quite obviously a jab at Konami and mourning over his lost franchises

No. God that's fucking stupid. That whole theory.
>hurr le 5 men are le 5 games
There are way more than 5 games shitcunt.

>mfw trying yet again to get into video games
>mfw the story is always fucking dogshit
>mfw the dialogue is always embarrassingly bad

Death Strands trailer was actually GOAT as a extremely short film, which it is meant to be. Who knows what the rest will entail, but it was literally the best trailer at E3.

>leftover assets from silent hills
too bad del toro isnt working on it anymore thanks to konami

>but it was literally the best trailer at E3.
It was good, but that ain't saying much.

I agree with you on that one. E3 was shit this year. Kojima really kept us waiting.

Reminds me that Norman Reedus's wife son is called Mingus Reedus

Wait...

He lost the rights to his MGS???

Haha

So true....

Do you live under a rock?

Jesus Christ.

He never had them to begin with

Konami as a company owns the IP since he developed it under them with their resources as a employee.

>expecting a toy to have a compelling story

they should have ...but they haven't.

looking forward to god of war tbhfamqwe

>a powerful medium for artistic expression
i think all media are pretty much played out at this point. there will still be some gold that gets through the ongoing tsunami of shit-tier content, but it's all pretty much over.

Quick theory here. This is going to be a loose adaptation to All You Zombies, a story about how one person, through time travel, ended up fucking himself by being a rare fully fertile hermaphrodite and having his own kid, who happened to also be him.

The dogtags are equations relating to quantum nechanics and relativity, which points to time travel.

He has what looks like a C section scar so the baby is strongly implied to be, impossibly, his own. The baby then disappears, probably due to a bizarre paradoxical side-effect. Kojima said the title, Death Stranding, was important, and that something that wasn't alive was stranded. Since the character logically shouldn't exist thanks to the paradox him having no beginning or end (being, in effect, his own entire lineage at once), one can argue that this is what was meant by that.

There's also a whale theme in the various beached animals and the title's similarity to to the term cetacean stranding (pic related). Dunno what that's all about, but it might just be Kojima's new calling card, as Moby Dick didn't have much to do with MGSV either.

No, only Kojima.

I really want video games to be well written and for a brief moment I thought things were going that way.

After Mass Effect 3, I've been extremely cynical about it happening any time soon.

The truth is the gaming industry uses this "video games are art" meme to generate free publicity and interest from older gamers.

The average age of a gamer is getting older and touting a game's writing and drama is how the industry keeps old fags from quitting games altogether.

There are still good games but their artistic merit is questionable. Story is injected like it's any other product feature. The only reason The Last of Us had Ellie was because Bioshock made worrying about little girls popular.

I have no fucking clue what ambitions Telltale has. I've played some of their recent games and there's no indication that these stories need to be told. It feels more like Telltale is cashing in on popular IP.

Here's a good video that talks about the issue at length as it relates to Uncharted 4: youtube.com/watch?v=SPG_1wbSILI

No one is really serious about pushing the medium forward for "artistic expression". Kojima is the exception. The industry is just interested in creating franchises with cool set pieces that ape superior media only on a superficial level.

The occasional bit of gold in a sea of shit has been in entertainment media for centuries. Nothing's really changed, except the sea, gold and shit alike, has gotten bigger.

>Getting into video games for the story or dialogue.
Pleb.

You're kidding me.

>bro i dun giv a fuck i just wanna shoot the zombies
Jesus christ grow the fuck up

K O J I K I N O
O
J
I
K
I
N
O

IT'S POTTERY

BRAVO KOJIMBOJAMA

I'm just gonna stop you right there and tell you that your theory is completely retarded and I hope you slit your wrists.

The industry is oversaturated and there's a fuckload of room for a variety of genres and styles. There is at least one game tailor made for everyones' tastes.

I kind of like the idea, but what does laundry and washing machines have to do with video games and artistic expression?

It's like if Sup Forums and Sup Forums didn't hate each other.

If you want to experience something that's well written, go read a book. Video games are for playing.

It's not mine. It's Heinlein's retarded idea. It would be a timely route to take in this age of transgenderism and time travel stories.

In fact, All You Zombies has already been adapted into a feature film, Predestination, to high critical praise.
It would be well within Kojima's character to latch onto a concept of a movie or book he liked.

This

>some nonsensical scene filled with vague symbolism
>omg how erudite bravo kojima

You sound like you're describing the film industry too.

Triple A is to gaming as Holywood is to film.

>Quick theory
I figure you're probably right.
I won't bother to play it because it looks even more insufferable than Kojima's usual material. Most things he puts is hands on end up extremely mawkish and over-wrought, this looks no different.

Kill yourself man

It did quite some time ago if you disregard the mainstream pleb taste and shitty indie scene

You seem unusually upset. Everything okay?

>buying/pirating a GAME for the story

l m a o

>hur u can't desire something that's fun to play and has a well written story
Do you have an IQ of 60 or something?

>He thinks anyone but the lowest of the lowest, the ones that couldn't even get into screenwriting after sucking CEO dick are 'writing' video games
Never will.

Read a book or watch a proper film. Video games are for playing

I'm so fucking glad they retranslated this. Really loving it so far.

He spends hours on end playing an online shitfling with only 8 maps.

Don't strand me or my son ever again.

>videogames
>artistic expression
people really thinks toys are art

>a good writer is physically incapable of creating interactive media

This narrowminded thinking needs to stop if any progress is to be made.

Surpass? No.

But if used properly, the mechanics can tell a better story than a film

You get it. Idiots here will starkly refuse to. Just know that you aren't alone in this opinion.

Good writers wont spend their time tinkering with video games. They get paid too much to write scripts, novels and whatnot user.

Video games ARE ART faggots are the cancer of the medium.

>extremely mawkish and over-wrought
same for keiichiro toyama. i cringed my way through a couple of recent silent hill games and i was black and blue from being hit with the ITS SO SPOOPY! stick.

why does he wear the mask?

>i play video games

>Reference of a language philosophy is enough to make Sup Forumsedditors go 'waow'
lmao

>caring about anything Kojima makes after MGSV

I don't know if it was him or Konami or anyone else and I don't care either. That piece of shit game was what made me snap out of my GAMURR phase.

>All the enemies are yourself
>You must kill yourself to advance

10/10 - Molyneux

Eh, if you haven't played then you won't get it.

MGS2 is the first piece of medium that I know that used the 4th wall and its destruction properly

i wonder how much of neal stephensons other work kojima will lift.

The medium is far bigger than it's ever been. Hundreds of video games get created per month, or at least it feels that way. There's so much room for so many different types of interactive media that you can have whatever the fuck you want. Chances are there's a game for it.

That means more than enough room for a story-rich artistic experience or a simple fun game that's designed to be played or be played with.

All this fighting is ultimately unnecessary, and only serves to reinforce opinions that really mean nothing. It's pointless bickering over not having what is actually readily available and isn't leaving any time soon.

>mfw those people on Sup Forums that said they'd kill themselves after V because no game would top it

>I enjoy cinema

This. MGS1 and MGS2 together is an experience unique to the medium.

This wouldn't surprise me.

They didn't expect Konami to grab the unfinished product and release it. Nobody really did.

>online shitfling with only 8 maps.
Because the map on football, chess, and what not changes?

Like I said, simpletons wanting muh quality writing muh dialogue are the cancer of the medium. Proper gameplay should rule over them all and if it has got some writing its only a plus. This has been evident since days of DOOM and Quake

And yet only dropouts and failures write your shit video games, even Kojima's horrible attempts at involving language philosophy are basically Wikipedia tier

>Because the map on football, chess, and what not changes?

>comparing chess to fucking lol

You people are beyond help.

>i really connect with japanese culture
and wast untold wodges of cash on shit replica swords

>i complain about cinema on a film board

Fuck, mmo players really are retarded.

see

>cancer of the medium

If anything is a cancer it's video games themselves. Hundreds are released every year. It's only growing, user. Spending literal days on a fucking moba is the worst cancer of them all. I'd take goddamned mobile gamers over a lolfag.

Football, chess, battleship and plenty of other games come with 'same map' pleb.

>League
a different game

The answer is no. The answer has always been no. The answer will always be no. Crawl back to whichever of the multiple video game boards you could be posting this thread on you crawled out of.

Good gawd, they can't NOT wear fedoras, can they...

and NS is a horrible average writer with a one book that has gotten any relevancy (and I don't even know why that).

>a different game
I agree. It's a board game.

> le MGS edgy memedium
t. locked groove

>pending literal days on a fucking moba is the worst cancer of them all. I'd take goddamned mobile gamers over a lolfag.

I'd rather play something complex with a good gameplay than mobile game, did you get bullied?

There's already a movie on that with Ethan Hawke, it's called Predestination.

Okay Sup Forums, you can pick one. Hotel Dusk/The Last Window or...

Good reference

Kojima is a fucking hack. Sup Forums is so fucking gay when they worship this fraud. He makes anime-tier faggot storylines and fills them with retarded 2 deep 4 u shit.

>DUDE 2 DEEP 4 U LMAO, IT'S LIKE SYMBOLIC AND CRYPTIC

It's literally like Kojima never grew up out of his art student phase.

It doesn't surprise me people who are "gaming enthusiasts" have the shittiest taste because they don't watch actually good films or read any books. They just watch anime and play sequel after sequel.

I mentioned this here: This wouldn't stop Kojima. Hell, I'd argue that it would only encourage him. Policenauts was a shameless Lethal Weapon ripoff that didn't even try to hide it. He just decided he was gonna make Lethal Weapon in Space, and did it.

>tfw no Kojima and Refn room mate sitcom with Ryan Gosling as a supporting main character
Why even live

>NS is a horrible average writer
who would you prefer?

*unsheathes katana*
*teleports behind you*
*cuts you into a million different pieces*
psssh...... nothing personnel kid

The Long Goodbye.

>I'd rather play something complex with a good gameplay

And yet you waste your life playing LoL all the time. The irony is almost palpable.

>Kojima is a fucking hack
Can we throw Toyama in that bin as well, while we're at it?

I don't know why you keep talking about League. I bet you got bullied.

Not mine, pal.

My theory is that he is literally stranded into death, in some kind of limbo and he will have to escape it. The celestial beings remind me a little for the 5 "angels" from Berserk.

>something complex with a good gameplay
>LoL

That insult didn't work the first time, but considering you play the same shitty game over and over, I guess it's only natural for you to try it again.

Games that get markated as muh writing muh dialogue muh FILM are almost always unanonymously garbage

MGS series, that shitty Ellen Page game, that fucking detective game about murder etc

>nothing personnel kid
Yeah, he didn't have his staff do it for him?
Also, thank you for the nod to masturbatory fan-fic style-guide action.

im genuinely confused if liking kojimashit is a meme or genuine.