You guys were talking about this a few days ago and I just watched. Holy shit it was awesome

You guys were talking about this a few days ago and I just watched. Holy shit it was awesome.
Any more good naval films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=glwnk5x1scY
youtu.be/8dmWAve3Pvk?t=7m54s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>some guys in silly costumes ride around on a boat
I don't get it. What's the appeal?️ ️ ️

you must be a woman

I didn't understand it but my boyfriend really liked it

>Cool military guys and boys
>Awesome costumes
>Great ships

Fuck off with this shitty meme

Hornblower is GOAT boat show.Seriously check it out.

Fuck off to tumblr or reddit SJW, we dont take kindly to your types around here!

Thanks that looks perfect.

Not really, not as good as that.

There are these though:
Crimson Tide (submarine)
Das Boot (submarine)
Run Silent, Run Deep (submarine)

>Hornblower is GOAT
You are absolutely right there user.

Im pretty sure he thought about Victorian era ships, Horatio Hornblower series is last fresh addition every other is pretty old wish they made more of these,

WTF I hate the French now

I was happy to find the 2 disc edition at a cheap second hand store other month.

Is this the pirate version of Das Boot?

Das Boot and The Hunt for Red October senpai. Enjoy.

"Hercules the legend continues" tier directing & production

Don't fall for it OP. I got suckered into it too

>Victorian era ships

Are you actually retarded?

>They work for the pirate... The eye patched man
>And why would somebody shoot a man before throwing him off the plank

Pirates of the Caribbean?

>fuck off with this shifty meme
That doesn't sound like "I'm not a woman"

I loved it until they decided to insert the bizarre subplot, presumably from the book, about the guy who failed to ever be promoted and thus had bad luck. Really strange little insertion of what amounts to magic in a very realistic movie.

The fuck you talking about magic for, the doctor even mentions how stupid the sailors are with there superstitions.
The guy was on duty both times they were attacked and he wasn't a very good sailor hence no promotions.

What magic? Just bad luck and random coincidence. Realistically showing superstitiousness of sailors really fits into movie.

The film clearly intends the "Jonah curse" as a real thing. Right after Russel Crowe finishes his eulogy, instantly, the wind picks back up and it rains.

t.woman/liberal/redditor

how can you miss the point that hard

That's why its a superstition because coincidences happen like that all the time.

But no your right they thought they would add Gandalf but he was busy.

What's the point then, oh enlightened one?
No wind at all for days, constant rain and wind right after Hollom's funeral is held. The chances of those events randomly coinciding are nearly astronomical. Very obviously intentional.

The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood are fun swashbuckling movies starring Errol Flynn.

its a fucking movie you realize that right? They need "dramatic" moments like that to entertain people.

With tallships? Not much.

Tried watching this on netflix, all it was was random abstract shapes bumping into each other with white noise in the background. My friend came over and he said it looked great, wtf?

think it might be a tumour mate

My wife didn't get it either but me & her boyfriend really like it

So it's a movie that blatantly panders to audiences with absurd unrealistic moments? Why do we like it again?

is Michiel de Ruyter good?
youtube.com/watch?v=glwnk5x1scY

Bitch

This one. The biggest number of naval battles in a single movie I've ever seen.

Yeah Hornblower is good but the other one is Marvel tier ship fun

And this maybe. It's absolutely god-tier but it's not your typical naval movie.

This was super great

Has anyone seen this? I watched the scene from Master and Commander where they're on the Galapagos Islands and immediately thought of something like this. I know there's also an old-timey series about Captain Cook.

I haven't seen anyone mention Bounty... Fucking plebs.

BITCH
LEAVE GODDAMN IT
TAKE YOUR FUCKING AXE WOUND AND LEAVE MY EXCLUSIVE GENTLEMEN'S CLUB

And another one. I highly recommend it. It's not as "deep" as the book but it does the only reasonable thing by focusing on the story and the Ahab-whale relation.
Moby Dick looks great.

A bit underwhelming. Maybe it's the effects or unnecessary changes from the real events but I would recommend everyone to see it at least once.

Both of these

Samefag.

And finally this one. Surely the story wasn't THAT great to require five fucking movies. This is the latest and the only one I've seen. Blight deserves a biopic for fucking up three times in history (Bounty, Australian rebelion and Cook's death).

this are the only good suggestions in this thread.

there aren't a lot of great naval movies. mutiny on the bounty is pretty good too.

>No wind at all for days, constant rain and wind right after Hollom's funeral is held. The chances of those events randomly coinciding are nearly astronomical. Very obviously intentional.
The events of the movie jump around in time and it's not at all obvious that weeks or months have passed. It's all in the books though

"Calm before the storm" is a saying for a reason user, ships were regularly becalmed before a big storm. In this instance it happened to coincide with some superstitious drama among the crew.

Sailors are stereotyped heavily in this era as being extremely superstitious, so this part of the movie makes perfect sense. It has nothing to do with magic and everything to do with sailors treating coincidences as if it were magic, which is stuff that actually happened pretty frequently in that era.

NavyKino

see

Women detected

Bligh is unfairly maligned because of the movies and other media in the recent past taking christians' side completely and twisted events for dramatic effect. Historical accounts don't indicate any huge issues with Bligh, though he could have handled things better it was a long rough journey and Christian certainly wasn't blameless (nor was a good deal of the rest of the crew).

The worst thing Bligh did was allow discipline to lapse somewhat on the long stay at Tahiti while collecting trees.

You should remember he was cleared of wrongdoing and many of the conspirators/mutineers were hanged, and Bligh was appointed governed/rear admiral many times as time went on, and ended his career as a vice admiral.

>It's not as "deep" as the book
That goes without saying fambles.

>Sailors are stereotyped heavily in this era as being extremely superstitious
Its not a sterotype if its true. These guys were on these ships for months or years at a time and possibly not running into another soul. They were at the mercy of god, the oceans, luck, fate, nature or whatever you want to call it. All of which are so much bigger than men in a wooden toy. You were superstitious because its the only way to create some sense of things so far out of their control.

No actually.

There's still some internal monologue but of course Ishmael doesn't spend time thinking about the color white (my favorite chapter desu).

I didn't say the stereotype wasn't valid.

>Hornblower is GOAT
This is true
>boat show
>boat
REEE REEEE RRRRREEEEE

>pic related

Had to re read

you are fucking retarded

It's weird, I tried watching Hornblower because I heard it was even better than Master & Commander, but it was just more of the same stuff. Big boring ships and lots of talking, occasionally some action which is cool I guess.

The guys in it were pretty cute, though!

Goat naval movie coming through

Comfy as fuck
youtu.be/8dmWAve3Pvk?t=7m54s

>watching it with amazing 5.1 sound
>when the cannons goes off