/prod/

Cute pupper edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/0fnlump5
clyp.it/ccbaxmkx
imgur.com/a/jrLAL
ableton.com/answers/can-live-record-takes-to-lanes-as-one-can-do-in-other-daws-if-i-want-to-composite-a-guitar-track
youtu.be/c8kVMGWDO4w
youtu.be/QNHd334m1Q0
clyp.it/3nnrqv5p
clyp.it/tj4yjkoq
clyp.it/gtvtvzjw
chatzy.com/62907727608340
clyp.it/2qz0xjwg
clyp.it/xg1kvt3p
clyp.it/nqziznw5
clyp.it/y35ddqi4
clyp.it/d0qsralf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for fl studio

word

This is from live set practice. Would you dance to this? Is it too full? It's techno i guess.

clyp.it/0fnlump5

I own a Mac, should I get Logic Pro X?

clyp.it/ccbaxmkx

Ignore what I say, I'm really wondering if anyone can see what settings I should change to improve the sound for my 286s to get a bit of a better sound.

imgur.com/a/jrLAL

these are the current settings I have on my 286s. I've tried messing with it and this is what I have right now.

you should learn what a de esser/expander/compressor does first.

for recording speech i would not use the gate for example

ty

So I installed Pro Tools yesterday because Ableton's recording workflow sucks and what the fuck
it's pretty much the shittiest software I've ever used
CPU is at 100% even though I only have a single track playing a .wav, no plug ins or anything
how the fuck am I supposed to record with this? High sample rate is not an option

>Ableton's recording workflow sucks
how so?

It doesn't really have any efficient way to record different takes and as soon as you start recording multiple ins stuff gets cluttered fast

Ideally I want to sit at one side of the room, play a couple takes and then quickly put everything into one final track I can export and work with in ableton

Can't you do that if you set the recording to a loop then change tracks /clips? after the loop, dunno. Also you'll find the answer if you google it

if you have a mac try logic, works great for that

there's no efficient way to record in ableton, it's just not build for that

fuck pro tools tho, I'm uninstalling this piece of shit

why don't you google stuff you nong

ableton.com/answers/can-live-record-takes-to-lanes-as-one-can-do-in-other-daws-if-i-want-to-composite-a-guitar-track

did you even read the shit you post?
>You mean composite ('comp') takes, which I know Logic Pro and Reason 6 can do? Sadly, I don't think it can - it would be a great addition.
> Arm the track for record, place the cursor at the beginning of the loop brace on your track. Set your metronome to count-in (if you like). Then press record. Keep recording over and over that section and don't stop until you are done. Then, select the newly recorded clip in the arrangement view. Now view the clip in the sample box. You will see the entire recording there. Now you need to go an tediously move the start and end markers individually to select the take that you want. In the first place, you can move the start marker to the very begining and the end marker to the very end so that you may audition all your takes
yeah fuck that if I'm recording multiple tracks at the same time

I want to improve my scales/chord playing skills on the keyboard, what are some good exercises?

The Virtuoso Pianist - Hanon

It's an old classic.

Play slow, deliberate and focus on technique, don't play fast like you're some Wakeman wannabe

i have logic

first and only daw i've ever used

easy to learn, cheap compared to the others and looks nice

if you're new to production i'd say start on that

i hate techno with a passion so no i wouldn't

but it does have dance vibes

it's just flat and lacks energy flow

raise and lower cutoff to build and release energy

maybe add something else in the background for more energy movement

Is ProTools really a meme? I know it's
>The industry standard
but I rarely hear anything good said about it.

what the fuck is up with people here and their intros?

an intro never needs to be a minute fucking long

especially if its just a pumping bass and random synth hits

I think it actually is a meme
seriously I'm really pissed right now for installing it, if I had the choice between protools or audacity for the rest of my life I'd choose Audacity

also can anyone using reason help me out?
I just learned about comping in reason which seems to be pretty neet, is there any way to copy the cuts from one track to another one, so you comp exactly the same i.e. guitar and vocals takes?
I often have two audio recordings that bleed into each other this is kinda important

>i hate pro tools
>guys how do i do this thing that pro tools in exceptionally good at?

it needs some interest at points, for example at the quieter part, double it in length, and add a slow filter sweep build up then crash back into the main beat

Add a few drum fills (even the smallest things will keep the listener engaged).

or maybe some echoing vocals sweeping across at some point. Just wanna add a bit of space and dynamic range to the track

I'd use protools even though it's clunky as fuck if it was possible to not crap out on me at a low sample rate
I can easily run ableton at lowest possible sample rate and stay under 10% cpu

Hey fuck you I was only trying to help you, why don't you paste the last bit of the comment. I hope you don't improve and all the music you make is bad but you don't realise it

where is your incredibly amazing clypit user?

I didn't want to be rude, however I don't see the sense in arguing whether ableton is good or bad for recording
because it's shit
and I say that as someone who loves ableton and has been using it for 4+ years

you might like logic. it's more streamline and a little less CPU heavy than Protools. if not Logic, try Digital Performer or Cubase.

ableton's UX is a bit of a mess, and it does take some time to get used to the recording workflow, but it's one of the most lightweight DAWs out there... so don't expect other DAWs to be better in that department.

>it's one of the most lightweight DAWs out there... so don't expect other DAWs to be better in that department.
I didn't know that, thanks

I'll probably compare Cubase and Reason and if Cubase runs on my shitty Laptop I'll buy it because score editing would be super useful

Ableton is only good if you make videogame-like music, for anything else its not practical or intuitive at all

I swear the people who pretend its good have never played or recorded an instrument whatsoever

>do peepl really liek what I don't liek? how is that even a thing?!

How do I /tomppabeats/ or /bsd.u/ on Ableton?

youtu.be/c8kVMGWDO4w
youtu.be/QNHd334m1Q0

How do you get your kicks to sound this good?

compression + eq + saturation

start with good samples

clyp.it/3nnrqv5p

any intelligent grime man in willing to chat?

guitar center has that deal for the mac mini, monitor, keyboard/mouse, mic, interface for $900 and i wanna know if that would be worth it if i wanted to use logic, or should i just buy a better mac (i dont need a really high quality computer)

depends on the mac mini and interface, but at that price i'd expect it to be like a 3-4 year old mac mini and a standard $150 interface... might be a good one-stop-shop deal, but you can probably get that price down if you buy everything second hand.

dont really know grime but this is a cool vibe

also just curious, is that a sample of Pink Floyd - Time with a bunch of reverb?

bump

I finished (kinda) that track i posted in the last thread

clyp.it/tj4yjkoq

whatchu guys think

>clyp.it/0fnlump5
i personally wouldn't say it's techno. trippy vibes but it is nice, needs more develop desu

thanks for the tip!

Is anyone running a non-legit copt of Ableton on Sierra??????

Just put in an SSD in my macbook and my cracked version of Ableton 9 got uninstalled.

The fucker who put my SSD in installed Sierra without asking me, now none of the cracked versions of Ableton I find will not work. not even the version thats been on my computer for over a year.

I am freaking out. I don't know what to do.

how many people here actually use reason?

I'm kind of stuck right now and I think a new environment would create interesting challenges
yay or nay?

get fucked thief

i posted the remix last thread and someone said it was empty so i tried fixin that. the mix is still a complete mess im watching youtube vids and shit but hows this sound now?

clyp.it/gtvtvzjw

Same reason I'm avoiding having anyone do any sort of maintenance on my computer what-so-ever. All of my stolen VSTs/AUs/Drivers are working with a very delicate balance, I know as soon as I update my OSX everything will come crashing down so I don't bother to update.

i can help ya i'll be on all night

I just throw shit in at random senpai

>Ableton
>Macbook
>SSD

lol

get in here boys its lit

I would die if that happened to me, back up gents

thump

tweaked drum samples, tried to fix bass/kick issues, rearranged the last half, adjusted mid/side on the pads

clyp.it/2qz0xjwg

>tfw can't tell if making it better or worse

Started work on this yesterday. I feel like I can't really look at it objectively anymore.
Any thoughts, feedback, tips?

clyp.it/xg1kvt3p

i like the sword o metal clapping samples but everything else is so out of place.

yea like I said I can't really see tell, I think I've worked on it too long. I'll let it sit for a couple days. Thanks for feedback.

i'm a really lazy electronic artist, what's some easy electronic music to make?

What is babby's first DAW that can actually get decent results?

I love Ableton so much

flstudio

Good. I have the right one then

Hey guys, can i get your opinion on this. I've been working on it today and wonder if I should keep going with it? Any criticism/advise would be helpful.
clyp.it/nqziznw5

Are the free Kontakt "Factory Selection" samples any decent? The ones they offer you when you download the kontakt 5 player

The drums sound really stiff/robotic

cool little progression

my vibe listening from it, i thought might fit some boom bap styled drums, maybe swung a bit better than what you got

or maybe some traditional trap hihats would help fill the space

good start though

Thank you guys for the feedback
I'll try to work it out better, I recorded them with midi and adjusted the "swing" in channel rack (using FL12) thinking it will help.
I agree, i was gonna add some hihats before posting so it doesn't sound too empty. I'm new to this so I figure I'd try to add things one at a time until i get a "full" sounding track. Then learn how to mix.

anyone got a crack for the v2 of 32 lives?

depends a little on what kind of music you're making. i started out with garageband, and moved up to logic, and i've really enjoyed it

also, on the off-chance you know someone who owns it, you can just log out of your app store, log into their's, download it, and then log back into yours and it works perfectly

bump

Melody first or chords first?

percusion first

Serious answer?

it depends on what gets your creativity going

doesn't matter what you start with, its what you end up with.

I second, third, fourth and infiniteth this. Using properly recorded samples is so crucial. You can't truly fix poorly recorded samples with any production tool. Also, if it's produced well than it also saves you a ton of work.

I usually start off with a "sketch". Conceptualize something and start with a two or four bar progression/beat. Then just build. Neither are inherently "correct" it all depends on the artist, it's more important to just create SOMETHING and get started.

Not him but he has a valid point and a decent isn't intro isn't something that takes to much time to make.

hi, im new, whatd you think, tips pls (:

clyp.it/y35ddqi4

goyim u have to buy it

yeah its not like these people put their time and hard work into providing your with a product on which to build their livelihoods

disgusting faglords its not like pirating is crippling the industry but if you think these people dont deserve to be paid for their efforts then you should off yourself

i actually prefer longer intros, fuck your pop music standards

not everyone in the world lives with your ignorance or were raised under your capitalistic culture.

your reality doesn't concern everyone

you should one day buy atleast your daw imo people pirating is why gay shit like dongles exist

they put artifacts in the finished audio products of the pirated version to catch people who pirate

executives making terrible decisions is why dongles exist

Started to mess around with audacity for fun. Whats up with the pops when you cut and paste audio?

i hear they can backtrace your ip through the waveform

learn chord conversions and mess around with them

in the encryption data for sure

>instead of building in the ability to brick the app
>we will secretly let them keep using it
>and build in an artifact feature
>then we can spend millions tracking them down in the wild

they check the illuminati datamine to see if you are worth taking to court

there was one called cinavia it was able to survive the watermark being recorded through a microphone and other types of conversions but it got defeated a few years ago

Pupper

well shit, I'm still getting that static issue with my focusrite.

Was playing overwatch when all the sudden it went staticy. Switched playback device default format and then it reset. Need help.

I have a focusrite solo 2nd gen connected to a usb hub connected to my computer.

still same user here, it's basically a clocking issue I think

J Dilla drum kit go hard as fuck

listen

clyp.it/d0qsralf