/who/ - Doctor Who General

Kinda edition

What does /who/ think of this very trippy serial?

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bSExEevtc6g
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/743139445541605377
chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/34-7.html
comingsoon.net/movies/news/626175-k9-timequake-doctor-whos-spinoff-movie#/slide/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

overrated as fuck

You should put a warning in the OP next time going all "Don't reply to the mongo user". He can easily be detected.

I like it but Snakedance plays with the concepts better. Then again, you can't really have Snakedance without this...

Just like your mom :^)

This.

fuck off mong-user

Breaking news: Cats12 has been so butthurt that he requires an immediate, experimental emergency rectum transplant or he will be unable to sit down for the rest of his life.

The guy who played Hindle was great. He was DCI Meadows in The Bill. The guy who played Reg Hollis was in the weird dream sequence.

Yeah, this is one where Adric's bullshit really detracts from the more interesting stuff going on with Tegan. And Nyssa... just isn't in it. (Does anyone know why? Was it like in the Hartnell era where people would just go on holiday?)

Reminder that now you can mend people.

Is this Peter Harness?

This is one of the classics that really does benefit from the redone effects. youtube.com/watch?v=bSExEevtc6g

Do you have to have a cock in your name to get the DW gig?

P Ness

P(eter Har)ness

Gareth "Tory Prick" Roberts

etc

i don't think mong-user even watches doctor who

all the reaction faces he uses are from other shows and i don't think he's ever actually demonstrated knowledge of the plot

KTM is possibly one of the most literal Doctor Who episodes ever written. It is very straightforwardly a story about "what is the right thing to do if you have to gamble the human race against the life of an unknown alien egg thing".
The clue that it's not an allegory - at least, not in the way people think - is that "space chicken dragon inside the moon" has absolutely no cogent reference point in human life. It's the point at which all attempts to claim it's an abortion allegory completely derail and lose all meaningful relevance to the real phenomenon of human pregnancy.
The story is trying to articulate a philosophical viewpoint, but not one about inter-human politics. It is implicitly saying that the existence of humanity is not so crucial in the grand scheme of things - that it would be a noble sacrifice if we all died trying to give a chance to an incomprehensible new life. The idea that there might be things beyond, in the unimaginable outer universe, more beautiful and incredible than our pathetic little fleshbag consciousness could ever match. Harness, and Moffat by extension, are asserting that the embrace of this possibility - rather than its self-preserving, fearful rejection - is the ideal for humanity.

Now when it comes to applying this to real life, you have to filter that through the fact it's a genre sci-fi piece, and both the 'universe of wonders' advocated by the Doctor and the 'universe of terrors' believed in by Lundvik are actually just sci-fi genres. If KTM is an allegory for anything it's for fiction, and the ways in which we imagine. By presenting us with Clara's radical 'correct' choice and in the process possibly offending our own moralities, it's pushing for us to try imagining in a way that opens us to both the notion of humanity's insignificance and a positive view of the infinite unknown.

Whether it does that well is another matter.

We all figured that out cats. It's probably a GoT cunt.

>all attempts to claim it's an abortion allegory completely derail
Absolutely. No unborn child threatens the entire Earth with immediate destruction if it is born.

Jesus /who/ I didn't realize season 3 was gonna be this dark. I thought maybe after everything they went through in The Dalek's Master Plan that The Massacre might have been a little brighter, but it was just as dark if not darker.

>The Doctor disappaering for most of it
>Steven trying desperately to prevent the inevitable, but the Doctor shows up at the last second to tell him it was all in vain

And then those final scenes in the TARDIS where Steven tells the Doctor to fuck off after condeming Anne to death... fucking based, Steven. Not to mention the Doctor's little speech about being alone after Steven "leaves" at the end where he contemplates returning to Gallifrey. Season 3 has just been pretty savage so far. The gloom was kind of alleviated after Dodo stumbled on to the TARDIS, but I think that could have been handled better.

Does season 3 get brighter, /who/? The first two seasons just weren't this dark. I enjoy it, I just didn't expect it.

Would /who/ do Pie Lord's daughter ?

Actually it does since every newborn child is another weight in the food challenge we're gonna face by 2050.

One of the best serials ever.

Dodo gets lighter stories.

Now fuck off.

Haha! Mongo user is showing us his autism again!

That makes no sense mate.

Should have changed the filename m8. Pathetic try.

look we know you're mongo user trying to blend in but it's not working because we know your tricks by now fuck off you bipolar shithead, you're not nearly as clever as you think you are

but I've never posted on /who/ before desu

>666
The Devil speaks the truth
listen to him and fuck off

You seem very angry mate?

BRAVO
SATAN

>Jesus /who/ I didn't realize season 3 was gonna be this dark. I thought maybe after everything they went through in The Dalek's Master Plan that The Massacre might have been a little brighter, but it was just as dark if not darker.

It's John Wiles. I'm not just memeing, he's basically the Hinchcliffe of the 60s in both tone and quality.

>Does season 3 get brighter, /who/? The first two seasons just weren't this dark. I enjoy it, I just didn't expect it.

Yeah, it's gets brighter. The Ark is already quite a fun story, and although the acting is shit, it has some of the best direction and visuals in Classic Who.

I fucking love well-written over-analisation of Doctor Who episodes. Bravo. Whether any of this was intentional is another question. But your interpretation is interesting to read.

>you're not nearly as clever as you think you are
Nice. That must have really hurt you. Good :D

Mong user is cats

Moffat is writing episodes 10, 11 and 12 of Series 10. It'll be a Peter Jackson directed trilogy.

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/743139445541605377

>these scripts
>he is in the first 2 episodes

piss off connor

this is rather insulting. i put more effort into my shitposts than he ever has

>yfw he's GOAT and the best companion

>"space chicken dragon inside the moon" has absolutely no cogent reference point in human life. It's the point at which all attempts to claim it's an abortion allegory completely derail and lose all meaningful relevance to the real phenomenon of human pregnancy.
Counterpoint:
chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/34-7.html
>COURTNEY [on monitor]: It's a little baby.
>The gravity of the little dead baby will pull all the pieces back together again.
>CLARA: You cannot blame a baby for kicking.
>CLARA: I'm going to have to be a lot more certain than that if I'm going to kill a baby.

lol im not connor

I've got a funny feeling he'll surprise people desu, Lucas has the skills if they just build him a half-decent character.

I think the philosophical part is deliberate, and the genre commentary part is a subconscious consequence of doing it that Harness probably didn't explicitly think about while writing. But if you present a philosophical position that could only ever matter in fiction, you inevitably make a statement about fiction in the process.

he's gonna be a comfy bro companion I can feel it

Is pretending Nardole is going to be a companion a Sup Forums meme?

he might not be a full time companion but I think we can expect him to join 12/bill on a few adventures.

I said the real phenomenon of human pregnancy, which is a lot more than just a baby and kicking. For example, you don't find out you're pregnant 45 minutes before going into labour, and it's usually a consequence of a physical action that was done to your body during your life, rather than an astronomical event that predates your species. These distinctions are pretty important for any woman considering an abortion.

No reason to think that at all. What makes you so sure?

>scripts

yeah we already know he is in more than one episode, but that does not mean what you said - joining them on a few adventures - it just means he appears in more than one episode

How he will possibly factor into the series if he's not gonna travel with them in an episode or two? Will he just be a head in the console room?

>Will he just be a head in the console room?
it's possible

fear makes companions of us all

I mean that would be kind of funny I guess, might be get old quick though.

They have announced the new companion.
They have described Nardole as a regular.

the hottest companion of all time.

that's not Nardole

u wot m8

I hope this doesn't become another forced /who/ meme.

Daily Reminder
Heaven Sent is the best story in WHO

Are you familiar with the "Streisand Effect"?

piss off Gareth

That just means it's a shitty metaphor. Doesn't change the fact that episode constantly draws the analogy between the moon baby and a human baby.

It's real.

The only thing I've seen Fatt Lucas in was Krod Mandoon and he was hilarious in it desu

The purpose of calling it a baby, apart from the fact it literally is in an egg, is to emphasise the idea that it could be an innocent being. We associate children with innocence.
At the end of the day it's staggeringly unlikely that Doctor Who would do an anti-abortion episode and even Harness has denied it, so the poorness of the abortion allegory should really be expected. Because, you know, it's not meant to be one. Tbh I'd have cut or de-emphasised some of the muh baby lines because they led too many people to misinterpret.

Are we getting a new theme and vortex for Series 10?

Ayyy paint user!

(That is you, right? Signature's different this time)

Yes

I've just realized Tom Baker was narrator for Little Britain, which Nardhole starred in.

Based Nardhole, S10 IS REDEEMED.

moar pls

>The purpose of calling it a baby, apart from the fact it literally is in an egg
I don't get what you mean by this since eggs are not babies.

>even Harness has denied it
He has? Last I heard he gave some wishy-washy shit like "I don't want to spoil anyone's interpretation." Which is what I would say if I wrote a blatantly pro-life episode of Doctor Who but didn't want to be labeled a reactionary by the liberal television industry, whereas if I was pro-choice and lots of people interpreted my episode as a pro-life allegory and either looked down on me for it or felt it was right on, I most certainly would want to spoil that interpretation. But that's just me.

Don't ever reply to me again

>he's playing with his peepee

Yeah. Right. Like the Beeb can afford Peter Jackson.

He'll probably direct the movie blockbuster in 2022, after the BBC has been privatized, and Doctor Who sold off to the highest bidder.

IS THAT A PEG PERSON ON THE LEFT

PEG PEOPLE MEME

All he wants in payment is a gold RTD-era Dalek for his collection

everybody knows he's going to direct that K9-movie, and Peter Davison will play Omega

Why didn't I know about this movie?

>after the BBC has been privatized
"My dear fellow, I don't want *money*."

Anyone started work on the Series 1 hype train yet? I was thinking we should have Matt Lucas' face on the front of it

because it only exists in Bob Baker's imagination and will never happen m8

series 10 even

what the fuck are you talking about mate?

I meant Series 10... It's not that fucking hard to work out!

Yeah, add 'im why don't you. Right now it's just beardy Capaldi

it's impossible to know what is in the head of some of the cunts in here m8, sorry

do you have to be a retard or 5yo to find this funny?

>implying the hype trains aren't top tier /who/
CHOO
H
O
O

WHY THE PHUCK have they got ANOTHER companion???

AND WHY THE PHUCK is it a fat little bald bloke?

WHAT THE PHUCK IS GOING ON???

THIS IS MY BELOVED DOCTOR WHO!!!

SACK MOFFAT IMMEDIATELY!!!

I feel sick.

B-but I found an article on it.
comingsoon.net/movies/news/626175-k9-timequake-doctor-whos-spinoff-movie#/slide/1
Is the internet lying to me?

>I feel sick.
Fuck off Asuka.

yes but not marry, she might have inherited the pie gene