Reminder that Mozart and almost all other classical music is 95% technical one-up-manship or show-offery and 5% actual...

Reminder that Mozart and almost all other classical music is 95% technical one-up-manship or show-offery and 5% actual music substance. It was basically the prog-metal of its day

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7QgT4_e8PTg
youtube.com/watch?v=nUY2i-OPPvk
youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES

:)

im a mothafuckin starboy!!! xP

Can you please explain specifically which portion of this piece is 5% actual musical substance and what empirically differentiates it?

youtube.com/watch?v=7QgT4_e8PTg

t. someone who never learned music theory

Well for starters, there's only a memorable melody for a small portion of the piece and the main bulk of it is just piano wankery

wtf i'm a poptimist now

>implying that technical one-up-manship/show-offery and actual music substance are mutually exclusive
Apart from that (and your singling out of progressive metal for also being like this when in reality ALL musical genres past and present are primarily like this) I actually agree with you. And I'm saying that as a professional classical musician.

I think you missed a few key words in my post, friend.

Please tell me SPECIFICALLY which portion of the piece has a memorable melody, and then please explain to me EMPIRICALLY what is different about that portion compared to the rest of the "piano wankery."

piano wankery is exactly what it sounds like, showing off to show off
it's not different than what Yngwie does on every song.

t. someone that likes wankery

>rating music based on memorability

>95% technical one-up-manship
If this was true, Mozart and Beethoven would've made more technical and complex music than Bach, not less technical music like what they actually did.

None of that is specific or empirical

>showing off to show off
What part of the "wankery" in the posted composition failed to relate thematically or harmonically to the rest of the piece?

nah this bait is p good imo :)

idunno man i dont know that much about classical music but i think it's true a lot of classical music has that quality like Liszt i think does that a lot and that's generally why i don't like listening to concertos very much because showmanship is like considered in the composition of a lot of those pieces. i think with something like mozart though, it has frilly little cheeky things happening but for the most part you can't waste a note and don't say that development sections were "wanky" i mean music from that era was all about harmonic movement and development sections were playing with your expectation in terms of like stable harmonic ground and that's pretty cool and not something people really do anymore. wagner took that idea to the edge and stuff and so it's not like a progressive idea but like it feels cool. anyway yeah i mean depending on where your at the show-off quality can get in the way of the enjoyment but it doesn't for me that much. plus like there is some amazing classical shred that just fucking fucks. beethoven waldstein for example. first movement is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=nUY2i-OPPvk
fuck off

I agree. Bach is particularly guilty of this. Many of his piano pieces are basically mindlessly up-and-down on major/minor scales. His fugues have huge formulaic sections that employ zero creativity or character too

>not being blown away by the power of Bach fugues

just calling a pleb when i see one

>Many of his piano pieces are basically mindlessly up-and-down on major/minor scales.
Cite a specific example and explain how it is mindless.

youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

a human being played this with his limbs for god i wanna cry when i think how he's putting sensitivity into the foot pedals of the organ for some reason being in like a church with this happening is super powerful and potentially religious

You guys are clueless. Bach was making music when most of the theories behind it were barely 30 years old, Mozart was impeccable. Its about form, balance, and quality, of which Bach and Mozart excel.

If you want to talk about Technical wankery then Jazz is the genre for that. If you want well-composed and well-textured music then go with classical.

>can't recognize motivic development
Jesus Christ