Relations between Swedish speakers and Finnish speakers in Finland

I have a question for any Finns here.

I've been reading a bit about the relations between Swedish and Finnish speakers in Finland lately, and to me, it appears that there is a really assymetric relationship between them.

The Fennoswedes are a minority in Finland. Most of them seem to be descendants of Swedish functionaries or nobility, and they seem to be mostly upper middle class. Whatsmore, they seem to be concetrated in the larger cities.

According to what I've read, it seems that the Fennoswedes are an extremely isolated community. They prefer to mingle with other Fennoswedes, and many promptly refuse to learn Finnish. When I browsed Yle recently, I saw an article about a Fennoswede mother who didn't want to send her children to a Finnish speaking school.

Despite not wanting to learn Finnish, most Fennoswedes seem VERY positive towards having mandatory Swedish education. You often hear them use arguments like "If all Finns don't know Swedish, how can we Fennoswedes get proper service at all public institutions, stores, etc?".

Everytime someone in Finland critisises mandatory Swedish, the Fennoswedes have two possible retorts:
>1. Boohoo, why is everyone so racist against us?
>2. We're a BILINGUAL country, don't you get it you stupid Finnish white trash?

My question is: why does Finland allow this to happen? Why is such a small minority allowed to boss the rest of the population around? How can this small urban elite constanly get away with shitting on the silent majority? Why should an entire fucking nation study Swedish just so this minority won't have to learn Finnish?

I'm baffled, honestly.

Other urls found in this thread:

sampoterho.net/?p=1603
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Sweden#Finnish
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1783413
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

T. Albanian proxyfag

We have a political party called RKP, swedish national party or something like that. Every Fennoswede and even some normal Finns vote for that, and they get usually like 5% of votes which means 10 places in parlament. They have only one agenda: keep mandatory Swedish. They agree promise to agree with all other thing in government.

So, when government negotiations begin, they are almost always taken to government. The winning party thinks, that they get 10 "free" members who agree with all things they want, if mandatory Swedish is kept.

>tl;dr Finns are cucked

That's genius

>swedes
There are genuinely okay people among them
>fennoswedes
Theyre disgusting and they have ruined swedens reputation in finland. All fennoswedes should be sent to sweden but I doubt even swedes could stand those assholes

Bättre folk :^)))))

This

Also the knowledge of Swedish was a way to show that you were upper class. That's why there are still large number politicians outside of Swedish party who support compulsory Swedish.

Finnish speakers are jealous of us because we have generational wealth that trickles down from our parents and grandparents which puts us at an advantage over them.

We don't try as hard as them in school because we know daddy or uncle will get us a job.

We don't have to worry about university places like Finnish speakers do because we have our own Swedish speaking universities that cater to our community. If Finnish speakers weren't so hateful against us, they would put more effort into learning our language and enjoying some of the benefits that comes along with it.

t. Oliver Andersson

Why DON'T you just send them back here? Åland is already de facto independent, why not negotiate a deal with our government to make Åland officially part of Sweden in return for some form of compensation or trade deal or whatever?
I imagine you'd save quite a bit of money on no longer having to make everything accessible for the tiny majority of people that only speak Swedish, and combined with a deal of sorts it would easily cancel out any negatives from them no longer adding to your GDP.

>they seem to be concetrated in the larger cities

No. There's many of them in helsinki and Espoo but most of them live in the countryside on the southern and western coast.

>negotiate a deal with our government to make Åland officially part of Sweden

Åland is Russian clay. The current agreements were put in place to prevent Russia from taking it back. Better let sleeping dogs lie.

>many promptly refuse to learn Finnish

Only the poor inbreds in Ostrobothnia do this

Why not send every Fennoswede to Åland then so they're at least concentrated all in one area with each other if that's what they want and refuse to speak Finnish?

Because we plan to send all homos to Åland.

THIS

So basically, Fennoswedes are the Jews of Finland?

Fennoswede shoah when?

>So basically, Fennoswedes are the Jews of Finland
Correct.

Stop posting this shit.

Jesus christ do people actually believe this? "refuse to learn finnish" ??? I have never met a single fennoswede who doesn't want to learn finnish, its just too damn hard. And stop it with the "bättre folk" "pappa betalaa" memes. Most of us are just as poor as everyone else.

Then you fucks should be fine with nobody being forced to learn Swedish. It's not our job to uphold your cancerous meme language dialect that is destined to extinction.

Give it up. There's no good reasons for staying as a Swedish speaker in Finland.
Speak Finnish only or move to Sweden.

Jesus christ man, how are people this thick? SWEDEN WILL NEVER PAY FOR ÅLAND. It is of no use to us, and a sale of land inhabited by tens of thousands of people would not be tolerated by either governments, not to mention the international community, without a referendum for Ålands residents. If they voted "remain" then we couldn't get Åland even if we wanted to pay for it. If they voted "leave" then we would simply assume control of Åland, and Finland wouldn't have a leg to stand on asking for payment.

FINLAND WILL NEVER GET TO SELL ÅLAND.

This, Swedish speakers are the only obstacle to our full unity as a people.

The plan is to send homosexuals and Muslims there

It is the job of any country with an official language to ensure the continued existence and use of that language continue, and prevent it from going extinct. If you don't want the Swedish language to be mandatory in schools in Finland, you'll have to drop it as a national language of Finland.

As of right now Swedish is a just as official part of Finnish society as Finnish.

Reminder that most of your national heroes are fennoswedes.

>its just too damn hard.
I have a feeling most Finns have similar feelings towards Swedish. Who doesn't want to learn a new language?

The sad thing is many Swedes have done just that. Far too many Swedes fled from Finland and Estland during the 1900s to avoid persecution, and living under Sovjet rule.

Not really. Mannerheim was, but he was an flawed individual in every level and it's an embarrassment that he is considered the face of early 20th century Finland.

Eino Leino was pure Fingol.

Here's how his people pictured him.

like 10 years ago, Conan (american late night show) went to Finland. and when he arrived, someone held up a sign saying "sweden sucks"

They start learning swedish too late. We start learning finnish in kindergarden or 1st grade, while they start learning swedish in grade 7. Any 7th grader faced with a completely different language will most likely not be so motivated to learn it.

>you'll have to drop it as a national language of Finland
Then that's what we'll do, since the vast majority of Finns support the abolishment of mandatory Swedish.

Fennoswedes are so desperate now that they want to brainwash our children so that they'd develop a more positive attitude towards Swedish. Fucking sickening.

Is Freudenthal's beliefs common among Fennoswedes?

If Fennoswedes look dow so much on Finns, why do they choose to keep living in Finland?

>why do they choose to keep living in Finland
Because they believe that Finns are sub-humans incapable of ruling themselves. Also RKP calls Freudenthal their spiritual father, that should tell you everything you have to know about them.

>mfw even Swedes think that Fennoswedes = Swedes

Yeah, excpet swedish is quite close to english and therefore should not be that tricky to learn for a person who already speaks decent english.
The noisiest anti-swedish activists are mostly those who are bad at learning language in general or just too lazy and stupid to study anything.

I've always been good at english and swedish would have been very easy for me to learn if only I would have had the motivation.
Too bad I was a rebellious teenager and I had that anti-swedish attitude. If I only had the time and energy now I would fix that easily.

Isn't it nice to tell others that you can speak three languages or even more? Some people just don't value civilisation.

T. Finnish nationalist and still willing to learn swedish and couple more languages.

Because if they moved to Sweden they would propably be outcasts with their ugly accent.

>T. Finnish nationalist and still willing to learn swedish
Nice try, Per-Göran. Character attacks are the only thing you Svecoman fucks have in store, and it's the one thing you always resort to when you've said all your other bullshit. You're either too "stupid" or "lazy" if you don't want to waste precious time learning a language that on a global scale is literally as useless as Finnish.

sampoterho.net/?p=1603

I don't. As a proud Swede, I love my neighbour Finland and might even consider moving there.

HOWEVER, if I do, I'll work on learning Finnish right away, instead of leeching on Swedish-language institutions and gibs. I'll also stay away from the Fennoswedes.

In my eyes, Fennoswedes are parasites, and stand in the way between true Swedish-Finnish camaraderie.

Now this is a Swede I can get behind.

How dare you

Mannerheim is the greatest Finn your country has ever seen.

>In my eyes, Fennoswedes are parasites

That's a bit too much imo but still their "identity" is pretty damn useless after all.

Yeah, and Linné is the father of all Swedish scientific institutions, despite him believing in the categorization of humanity into different races. The view of Freudenthal as a racist and literally nothing else is just a simple way for opposing parties to smear SFP.

Except he was very flawed. He wasn't innately talented as a leader and only his long career gave him credence.

Sexually he was known to have an interest in males, particularly a certain Kirghiz boy he brought over here and also the guy who made Tom of Finland.

Also both his daughters were lesbian.

>Sexually he was known to have an interest in males
>his daughters were lesbian
And?

Would you say the same of the minority groups speaking the official Swedish minority languages?

Are Meänkieli leeching off the Swedish state, for being allowed to use their own endangered language as their primary one?

Are the Sami parasites? The Yiddish- or Romani Chib speakers?

None of those groups hold any meaningful power in Swedish society. We don't have a major political party devoted to, say, Romani identity politics. The closest things we have to the Fennoswede institutions is the Saami Council.

Also, they don't force us to learn their languages. While they have the right to get served in their own language at some public institutions, they are still expected to know and speak Swedish in their everyday lives.

Being a recognized minority language is not comparable with being an official state language. Finnish is not an official state language in Sweden in the name of "Nordic co-operation" despite having had a Finnish minority for several centuries. We have no real reason to do the same.

Also Sweden has no mandatory Finnish, despite the Finnish population outnumbering Fennoswedes by about 200,000.

THIS to be quite honest

samefag

I'm Fenno-Swedish and I don't really give a shit if mandatory Swedish in schools is a thing or not, why would I? Knowing Swedish is pretty much useless and Swedish is gonna become a completely useless language in the next couple of decades since Sweden is getting overrun by Arabs and niggers.

>We don't have to worry about university places like Finnish speakers do because we have our own Swedish speaking universities that cater to our community
This is true you fucking privileged bastards.
Ironically, a finnish friend of mine who speaks swedish only well enough to hold a converstion is seriously considering to apply for a swedish university because it's easier to get in threre than it is to get into a finnish university as a native speaker.
This is fucking wrong. In the meantime the "progressive" people are screaming for equality, but this is totally fine and nothing needs to be done about it. Majorities just don't need as much equality as some irrelevant marginal people.

Keep living in denial

>We don't have a major political party devoted to, say, Romani identity politics.
Because there isn't an active and constant movement to deprive them of their official status, and remove any hope of the language surviving in their land.

>Also, they don't force us to learn their languages.
Neither do Finland-Swedes? Swedish is the language of all Finns, just like Finnish is the language of all Finns. It is up to the individual Finnish citizen to decide which language he wants to use for his primary language. The Finnish educational system is teaching young Finns the official languages of Finland, as it should!

Based Finland-Swedes!

Faggotry is only normal in sweden. In Finland, gays are in the minority, not the majority.

It's this.

Plus, mandatory swedish is still grained because of the "our last generation had to go through it, so next generations should too"-effect

t. Per Olof Cuckhagen

You're welcome here.

Like circumcision in burgerland?

I like mandatory swedish, but that's bretty funny.

Pretty much

The reason for mandatory swedish that my first swedish teacher gave me, was that Sweden has been such a big part of our culture that there's like a bond that can't broken between us.

i live in helsinki, finnish swedes go to swedish schools, they speak sweden with finnish accent. but basically they get their friends from the school, there are maybe 3 of them. yeah, they hang out a lot amongst each other, some of them doesnt speak finnish at all, some speak finnish fluently.
about why we keep talking swedish:
some people feel proud that they can talk multiple languages
it is mandatory in the schools, it has always been, why change?
it opens more job opportunities if u can talk swedish

you must understand that nobody really speaks swedish, if i have a sentence in front of me i understand like half of it, i cant form a sentence in swedish except something very basic like jag heter... jag levar på... etc.

Jesus H Christ, this is disgraceful. I think your being a proud Swede is what's clouding your judgement. You see the Finland-Swedes as somehow Swedish. They're not. Sweden is not an ethno-nation, nor is Finland. Finland-Swedes are not parasites, they are a proud minority who refuse to conform to the will of the majority of their countrymen, who stubbornly hold onto their language and their way of life. It's not until people like you realize that a language is not the exclusive property of one nation or one people that true international cooperation and friendship can exist between Sweden and Finland, as well as fair and equitable treatment for all citizens of both countries.

nice inspect element

>was that Sweden has been such a big part of our culture
Your teacher is living in the past. Everybody who uses that meaningless "argument" is living in the past.

Suomi on Ruotsalainen!

It is very unfair for Fennoswedes to have official language status and other privileges than Finns in Sweden do not have, whilst outnumbering Fennoswedes by 200,000. Swedish deserves the status of a recognized minority language like Finnish in Sweden. Nothing less, nothing more.
>I like mandatory swedish
Surely you'd be fine with mandatory Finnish in Sweden if this is your stance?

are fennoswedes have overrepresented in every aspect of finnish society? probably not

Why is this Albanian subhuman trying to divide us in the first place?

Not anymore.

We don't have a large amount people growing up and speaking finnish as a native language here so that would be weird.

We'd be fully unified as a people if Finnish was the sole official language. It's the privileged position of Fennoswedes that is preventing that from happening.

Inferiority complex. He has been going at it for a few months now and responds sometimes with garbage google translate tier swedish when you point out he's Albanian.

Now you're talking! I'd love Finnish taught in every Swedish classroom from Malmö to Kalix. A Sweden where everyone can speak at least a conversational ammount of Finnish is a utopia I'd love to live in. I wonder every day why we teach our young Spanish instead of Finnish, or at least the other Scandinavian languages.

You know it's going to happen at some point, it's just a matter of time. People start to realize it's just a remnant from history and has no real use anymore.

But there's no point in evoking hatred between us (Swedes and Finns)

You have 470,000 Finnish speakers, even if half of that was only native speakers they'd still be as populous as Fennoswedes.
That's just talk, and as long as it remains such we have no reason not to abolish Swedish's privileged status.

That's people of finnish heritage not finnish speakers.

>But there's no point in evoking hatred between us
Swedes evoke hatred by supporting this bullshit and clinging on to history.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Sweden#Finnish

Nope.

Of course they do it too, but my point is that no one should. These things can be sorted out without shit flinging.

So we have as many finnish speakers as mudslims?

Lmao

>That's just talk, and as long as it remains such we have no reason not to abolish Swedish's privileged status.
What is with you people? Why do you think mandatory Swedish has anything to do with Sweden? Finland-Swedes and their status do not concern us in the slightest, unless you genocide them or something, and then only as much as it involves all countries. The language of Finland-Swedes might as well be it's own language for all the connection is has with Sweden. You'll deal with your own internal politics, you're an independent country.

>These things can be sorted out without shit flinging
Evidently not, it is the Svecomans who always revert to attacks when they don't get their way.

>Why do you think mandatory Swedish has anything to do with Sweden
They're the legacy of your imperial era. It's your fault they exist.

I wouldn't say losing our eastern part of the country to Russia is our fault.

That's right, without us you'd all be speaking Russian.

Will the Swedes and the Finns ever be able to get along?

That's history. We are talking about living people, thousands of them, who are Finnish citizens and who have nothing to do with the Swedish state and it's government.

The is no ill will between Swedes and Finns as nationalities.

It's Fennoswedes as a group that is the root of the real problem. Only after they've assimilated into Finnish culture can there be true brotherhood between the Swedes and the Finns.

Of course, why wouldn't we?

Proper Swedes and proper Finns get along quite well.

It's the Fennoswedes who look down on both of us. They hate their "lower class" counterparts in Sweden and Fennomans in Finland. They're no good to anyone.

>They hate their "lower class" counterparts in Sweden
As they bloody well should. Our grasp of our own language is dreadful. Not that the Finland-Swedes are good as protectors of Swedish culture, but we certainly need one.

One day. Even if it's us against the world, we'll do it.

It's funny how hardcore Svecomans they tend to be, yet they're 60% Finnish on average when it comes to genetics.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1783413

It's like Sweden and Finland had an extremely bastardized child

>spics

Hell no. Sweden would never accept a people who let the culture of their countrymen die out when they could protect it but chose not to because of xenophobia and prejudice, as our brothers!