Smash Mouth

All memes aside are they actually a decent band? What about in their prime, were they a huge band back in 99/00 or were they still a meme back then?

Huge

They were just another typical alt rock band. Nothing too special.

They had a weird string of hits, then slowly faded away then became the shrek band.

I dont know, ska was popular in the late 90's too.

Thergergewrgewfw they wer niggas w mohst wer ethe real deal

they did jazz, nu-metal, thrash, punk and blende dall these amazing genres together to make masterpieces so fuck anyone who doesn't like these guys

smash mouth: the real deal

meme-band, but memes were hot in the 90s

Yeah they're decent

Were they as big as Limp Bizkit? Also who wins in that cringe battle?

I don't know if I would call them "huge".

Their singles played on the radio constantly back then. I specifically remember fucking hating Walking on the Sun and All Star because they wouldn't stop playing them one summer.

Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Eminem were what was huge back then.

so was swing, which i still find weird.

>Were they as big as Limp Bizkit?
No. Not even close. Nu-metal was taking American by storm

They were alright. Nothing really special.

I think people forget just how huge Limp Bizkit were in their prime. Probably were the biggest band in the world between 99 and 01. Only real contenders would be RHCP. Did RHCP Californication out do prime LB?

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

Californication and By The Way were pretty huge but I guess that was different since RHCP has been around for a while.

The nu-metal thing kind of came out of nowhere very quickly.

Blink 182 was also huge around this time

Nu-metal is amazing, I like feeling that nostalgia of playing on my PS2, gameboy, riding my bike and seeing everyone with their baggy jeans riding skateboards with terrible haircuts. Fuck I love the 2000's man.

Smash Mouth is genuinely better than Iron & Wine, Mac Demarco, Tame Impala, Weeknd, Father John Misty, Avalanches, Kendrick Lamar, Fleet Foxes, Washed Out, My Chemical Romance, Foo Fighters, Vampire Weekend, Tyler the Creator, The Sword, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Gorillaz, Neil Cicirega, Queens of the Stone Age, Sunbather, Pink Guy, Blink 182, the list goes on... but it's has become a meme for some reason

As much as I love Limp Bizkit and think their discography as a whole is superior, I think Creed tops them (and probably all bands) in popularity during those years.

>I think Creed tops them (and probably all bands) in popularity during those years.

This always baffles me when I'm reminded of it.

They're like Weezer but worse

>Also who wins in that cringe battle?
Smash Mouth was always generally seen as a bunch of corny goofballs.

Limp Bizkit is also corny but at least they had Re-Arranged

>you will never be 12 years old listening to limp bizkit and velvet revolver playing Halo 1 and Metal Gear Solid 2 ever again

Not sure why though, hating Creed has become a meme but they were genuinely talented and made very accessible yet still great radio rock music. Not hard to imagine why the masses loved them. Stapp had a great voice (albeit sometimes sappy / over the top), Tremonti had great riffs, the lyrics were easy to understand and identifiable and "deep" / introspective / spiritual, and they had a hard rock sound, yet it was also a sensitive/pretty sound at the same time, so both kids, teens, and adults, and males and females got something out of them.

If you don't like their meant-for-radio albums, at least give My Own Prison a shot, it is one of the better rock albums ever made.

Same here my dude

Walkin on the Sun is a great song

Eh the swing "revival" basically centered around two hit songs, Zoot Suit Riot and Mambo #5. Ska on the other hand had a pretty significant subculture and following.