Comedy is dead general

Laughter has been weaponized, anons, and comedy is dead. The craft of comedy, of evoking laughter, has had its novelty replaced in the mainstream not with comic innovation, but with rhetoric. Laughter is now the currency of social and political capital. Audiences are being taught to laugh at "humor" which is neither exceedingly clever wordplay nor well-timed absurdity. Jokes have been replaced by popular "comedians" parroting political rhetoric the audience wants to hear. Laughter is forced but comes easy, because audiences have been fully programmed to use it not in response to its natural triggers, but as a reaffirmation of statements which they are convinced deserve their approval. It is nothing new to see folks laughing at the likes of my good friends Stacy and Chad in a social setting, though their jokes are unfunny, because they hope this show of approval will improve their chances of getting sex from the objects of affection. The problem is that this behavior of weaponized laughter is being used on a large scale politically, undermining the platform of spreading genuine comedy and laughter to the masses and replacing it with what I can only describe as propaganda. For social approval, you must now ascribe to what is deemed "funny" through constant repetition in the media. The meaningless parroted meme-phrases and words condition us to be essentially brainwashed by the more insidious employment of politically-charged and agenda-fueled phrases parroted in the same patterns.

why do people pretend like the early 90s never happened? we've already been through this PC shit before. it goes in cycles and the lel edgy shit you guys crave will come back in style soon enough.

ITT whiny manbaby MAD because women are a legit audience now and he doesn't get 100% of the market share lol
Get used to it it's not even 50:50 yet.

>we've already been through this PC shit before
Haha this I remember being told I'm a rapist in middle school mandatory courses in 1992 oh wait.

What exactly is laughter for?

user, this process depends on social media. this isn't interest groups sending strongly worded letters to producers and convincing them to clean up their act, this is the entirety of media being deeply embedded in a saturated corporate/political hybrid of neo-propaganda.

melissa mccarthy is a fat pig and you're a nerd

exactly!!

ok samefag go back to watching inside amy schumer
>LOL MY VAGINA
never gets old!

i'm the third user who said exactly and also the OP. i'm saying exactly because those posts are definitely showcases for the kind of "humor" and rhetoric i'm talking about. the first man baby one might be deliberate/b8 but i'm not sure.

>implying repetitive catch phrase/meme humor hasn't been around forever

its like you guys have never watched any SNL from the 90's

fuck, that's some good pasta

of course it's been around forever. but it was at most comedians establishing a "brand" by memeing into audience brains. this method is now politicized by the people still claiming to just be comedians.

Mental reaffirmation so that we don't go insane or kill ourselves. Atleast that's my theory.

who are the most pure comedians?
who are the comedians comedians?

I don't have an argument so here's my old and stale edgy meme which barely holds ground anymore.

He's a Sup Forums shitposter and most likely underaged, so of course not.

This is why I genuinely hate humor for the most part, outside of small elements of humor within a more complex story that is not solely designed to be funny. It's all thinly veiled vehicles for opinion pieces.

maybe since you are getting older you only pay attention to the content that you disagree with

there is still a wide swath of different media to consume, for example shitty disney comedies or game shows like Family Feud, but maybe you pay less attention

for every "comedy" movie you think is carrying a social message, there are shitty ones like Mordecai, Zoolander 2, etc

the lobster is the funniest movie this decade by far, and it came out just last year

No, we're seeing mass scale consolidation of all media platforms user. We're seeing a collectivist agenda being instituted in our society. This isn't some outlandish theory, people are open about it.

lol tinfoil Sup Forumstard

what annoys me is this fat bitch is speaking as if she's some old time massive comedy superstar.

she's a fucking nobody whose in some absolute terrible shit over the past 3 years.

i'm still in my 20s, so not really getting old. not sure what your point is. there's certainly plenty of non-political comedy that's bad, yes. but it's never well received in this decade. but empty politicized majority rhetoric is accepted as hilarious and cutting edge humor.

i agree, user. the lobster was hilarious and i loved it. but it's not like a majority of audiences would accept it. saw it in a theater and literally most of the response afterward was along the lines of
>that was weird...
>it was too dark for me...
>i don't get it, did he blind himself or not?

so your majority audience not only can't appreciate good drama, they can't appreciate good comedy either.

society is not infinite. we exist in a finite time frame. the very idea of "politically correct comedy" only emerged recently. fuck, media itself wasn't a thing a century ago. if you think we're destined for a continual slightly-fluctuating status quo you are wrong. entropy demands a trajectory for all progress, social and technological.

This is why Sam Hyde is king of comedy now.

if today's media don't appeal to you, go read a book

Or maybe the writers of this movie suck ass, or maybe they are really good and they know how to appeal to their target demographic: Normies.

>ITT: Losers who don't know what they're talking about.

Spy (2015) was surprisingly one of the funniest and best comedies I've seen in the last 5 years.

In b4 people who've never seen the movie say it's bad. Also nice bait OP

It explains why we look at one another when something funny happens; "Do you get it too?"
I don't see how that can be "weaponized." Laughter's a universal, social form of expression I think.
It also explains why OP is almost always a faggot.

I watched it when it came out but I can't remember literally anything funny about it.

All I can even recall is she does some throwing up, I think on a bad guy. Statham, however, is always good and I don't even remember anything from him. Just a forgettable movie.

Yet I can parrot lines and scenes from actually good comedies from any time period. Spy simply wasn't good or funny.

What is the Daily Show?

Why are you looking for some rational, mechanistic explanation for an aspect of the human experience that is clearly irrational inherently?

op here. haven't seen spy, thought bridesmaids was intermittently clever. her drunken behavior during recent talk show interviews is just something that popped into my head when selecting image.

youre right, user. I think its funny, I saw it in a theater as well and the audience there loved it. It was a hipster art theater in a "trendy" neighborhood so that still might not be the majority audience

Humor is the resolution of potentially dangerous confusion into simple safe understanding.

Slapstick is funny because you briefly empathize with the ones being hurt, but it turns out to be harmless or you are safe in your own situation as just a witness and don't have to care.

Political humor is funny because you believe there's a dangerous challenge to your beliefs out there in the world but hearing someone else affirm them makes you feel safer.

Laughter is basically anxiety transformed into relief. What today's political humor should be telling you is that people are scared of the stupidest shit, not that they're faking it for brownie points (though there's a fair share of that anyway).

She's more successful than her male equivalent Chris Farley ever was.

Comedy isn't dead. People are desperate for edgy content now more than ever before. Deadpool is the perfect example.

What is dead are the over the top screamer comedians like Sam Kinison and Gilbert Gottfried who shouted "nigger faggot jewkike all women are cunts" material at people. That was on the same level as today's female >muh bagina comedians and we'll one day view them in the same light.

the point being your idea of what you think is the norm changes over time and with your own tastes. Even though you are "Still in your 20's" you are now old enough to have voted in presidential election and probably know more about politics (compared to teens who can't vote) so political themes and other assorted media/stories catch your attention more

as far as what is "well received", yes society definitely goes through phases of interest just like any fad/trend. Definitely things were more "PC" in the past so modern political satire seems more fresh even if the end message is not useful

>Laughter is basically anxiety transformed into relief. What today's political humor should be telling you is that people are scared of the stupidest shit, not that they're faking it for brownie points (though there's a fair share of that anyway).
Today's political humor is basically like someone did Heil Honey I'm Home in 1931 Germany.

so "im gonna stick this fist up your ass this fist down your neck and play your fucking heart like an accordian" is political rhetoric got ya

It's just interesting. There must be a reason for it in any circumstance.

Only if you reject the intrinsic irrationality of the human experience.

Well yes, sometimes people just do things. But why?
Laughter is interesting; we laugh at all kinds of shit. We can find things that are not funny to be funny, simply because they're not funny and the target of the humour changes from the topic to the subject, the person who cracked the shit joke.