Whats with the matrix sequels are bad meme?

Whats with the matrix sequels are bad meme?

They're not as amazing as the first one but they're still pretty damn good

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/67295823
youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4
youtube.com/watch?v=R4o2Bbp5wg4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

all fights are simply waiting for neo to show up and end them or to see how long till neo runs away. No stakes, even the characters seem to recognize them all as arduous arbitrary delays.

goes to literal magic in the third one rather than establishing zion and the "real world" as just another layer of the matrix.

Outside of Smith, there are no stakes and there shouldn't be because he's the One. That's kinda the point. Smith is only that powerful due to Neo anyways.

>just another layer of the matrix
This adds nothing of value other than pandering to those 'mindfuckfags' who think a twist ending is a sign of a good movie. Doing that would devalue the life affirming message of the trilogy.

>This adds nothing of value
it would establish all the merolvingian, keymaker, seraph, oracle, etc crap as the machines playing a sort of shell game with humanity, keeping them jumping for freedom in a controllable loop that, ultimately, doesn't result in having to harm any of them. Ever.

If its all a dream-state like experience and its just as easy for the machines to drop a person from an interrogation room back into his bed, thinking the giant mechanical insectoid that opened up his belly-button and crawled into his abdomen was a dream as it is for people on the "outside" to jump in and out of the matrix, then "death" can simply have people wake up, as if from a dream, and go on with their lives.

As the entire concept of the machines was control. And the idea they'd ever willingly negotiate (or even free) humans from their control was contradictory to the entire franchise.

They contain lots of good ideas and concepts

Problem is they stretched it out over two movies and added a bunch of filler bullshit

Wacko Brothers originally envisioned the trilogy as adding a Prequel and a Sequel. WB said no, so they adapted their prequel idea into The Animatrix (2nd renaissance) and basically turned their sequel proposal into 2 movies.

First movie was thematically contained, lucid and satisfying arc for neo sitting on a workable philosophical premise. On top of that, it's structure and pace reflected a narrative build up between action and exposition as neo acquires skills and understanding or the stakes of the conflicts are communicated to us.

sequals shoot off on about 20 different philosophical tangents, which are no longer compelling but wholly expository (consider how implicit they are in the first compared to the sequels; Cypher eating the steak is as explicit as it gets). Gratuitous hour long 20 car pile up chase and fight scenes destroy paces and the tension of the films conflict. Themes are unconfined, untidy no lucid arcs.

Also worth considering is Larry Wachowski was finally losing it with this Transgenderisms during the shooting of the films. The rumours of him becoming a woman began back then. Crazy part is the studio actually came out and denied it, Joel Silver himself said it was false.

The sequels are even better than the first 2bh

This. Matrix 2 is a masterpiece

I usually don't agree with the newskool meme team but I really didn't like the two sequels, while I love the first one.

Smith was the true chosen one

I didn't like the whole Jesus thing. It was fine in the first film, because it was more hinted at than anything. In the sequels, it's hammered home to you like the Wachowski Brothers just learned about Christian symbolism

nah they're actually pretty shit m8

Wut
The real world was another layer of the matrix?
It thats true the whole thing is bullshit. Even more than it already is

They were shit.

Only thing I liked was the French guy.

>there are no stakes and there shouldn't be because he's the One

And that's what made the movies boring as shit plotwise.

And monica belluccis matrix vagina

The matrix sequels are too complex for the general audience to really appreciate.

The first matrix was fucking great crazy scifi

the second matrix was a super fun action flick

the third matrix was neither

I think they suffer mainly by comparison to the first one.

The camera-work and effects in the first movie blew my goddamn mind when it came out. Nobody had ever seen shit like that. The mysteries of the setting had everyone speculating about what was really going on and having real answers was never going to satisfy anyone.

cramming in religious symbolism does not make movies deep.

>muh stakes
The central conflict of the matrix movies isn't whether or not Neo dies

They were completely unnecessary. The first movie wraps up the story perfectly with the ending where the Matrix stops working. They wanted to cash in on the LotR(film everything at the same time deal) and made the two sequels together to tack onto the first film. The movies spend more time convincing you that Neo still has a heroes journey to complete than actually expanding the story that was completed in the first film.

Zion is ultimately very disappointing.

And the Colonel Sanders reveal about the Matrix simply being an inevitability and Neo being what amounted to a coding bug in the system didn't give gasp you got from the first film when you discovered humanity was being used as a source of energy. I actually groaned when they elaborated on Neo being a bug and that they played all this out every so often because there must always be a Neo or whatever.

The real unexpected factor apparently was Agent Smith? Who has this weird transcendence into the real world by transferring himself into a human body as a program?

The Neo becomes Jesus Christ and the anti-virus for the Smith worm.

The movies were just unnecessary and despite being bigger and raising the stakes actually lacked the gravitas and suspense of the first movie.

Remember when the last defenders of humanity went out to fight robots in exo-skeleton mechs with their chests exposed? That was a good episode.

It's not a matter of symbolism, most people have a hard time understanding the basic plot, as evidenced as every threads repeating the same matrix within the matrix theory for example

Dunno man I found Revolutions fucking boring which says a lot

The double layer matrix theory is how people explained the "there must always be a Neo" problem. Because if there must always be a Neo..there must always be a Trinity. There must always be a Morpheus. There must always be a Cypher. All these connections that help Neo fulfill his prophecy.

I think it was just a roundabout way of saying "We just clone the same sample size of humans over and over for our energy purposes so you keep getting reborn into the system...literally. But they don't say that directly. They dance around it to make it sound more mystical. And all those same people that keep freeing themselves from the Matrix have to be wiped out every so often. But those same people are put back there because reasons.

why would machines go through all this trouble when they could just produce braindead humans for that silly energy purpose?
the more intricate the plot of the matrix, the more retarded it gets.

i just realized that the reason for the machines to keep humans around like that might just be for ethical reasons. maybe they felt responsible for them and thought that the only way to give them a pleasant life was through contaiment in a VR simulation.

They gave us Navras, so they weren't complete failures

excessive cgi, boring plot and the fight scenes were mediocre. the problem is that the series could have easily ended after the first film. we got something unique with the matrix then the subsequent films gave us the same old cliched stories with a green tint

that's not the matrix within a matrix theory at all. Matrix within a matrix is people unable to understand how neo does what he does in the real world (stopping the sentinels at the end of reloaded for instance).
what you're saying is an interpretation of something that is in the movie, which is the fact that the oracle and the architect use the fact that people like Neo can appear and instead of letting him run amok, they include them as a form of control over humans (for their mutual benefit if we believe the oracle). it is stated specifically in the movie that the One usually don't have someone like trinity in his path, so I don't see where this cloning shit comes from. There's also the fact that architect himself says that the previous One chose to reload the matrix

the first one is cliche, the second and third are a twist on the cliche (namely that neo being the one doesn't mean he can save humanity, it's just some form of controlled computer glitch) which is specifically why they are disliked / misunderstood

I expected more out of neo being the one. It was implied in the first movie it would give him complete control over the matrix. Instead we get:

>flying
>flying super fast
>punching and kicking really hard
>eh...kung fu 2.0?
>some emergency surgery

It's really unimaginative.

I bet you like the Hobbit movies too, you piece of shit.

Because they were never keeping humans as an energy source, but as a living network processor. Studio made them change it because they felt it would be too complex for audiences to understand. So instead of holding up an Intel chip we have Morpheus holding up a battery.

You sure Duracell didn't just pay better?

The Matrix sequels were lazy and removed Neo's powers and accomplishments from the first film just to make two sequels.

Agent Smith coming back and being the ultimate antagonist was hackery too.

vimeo.com/67295823

youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4
To be fair the ones on Animetrix didn't had a much better fate.

after all this time youre still sperging out about it.

>It thats true the whole thing is bullshit. Even more than it already is

So the hope was the third movie would end with some sort of actual resolution, instead of "and then everyone was happy to be in the matrix. The end."

The double Matrix theory is just one fag shitposting and spamming all day. It's the same retard who was forcing the Hop On meme earlier this month and the same chanqueef who tried to get Sup Forums to think BatmanSuperman was patrician master race pure kino that nobody but them could fully appreciate it.
Stop giving the attention whore what they want.

It was more likely that test audiences wouldn't see a problem with being a pentium processor and/or, wouldn't know what a pentium processor looked like if it was held up.

The movie needed to depict the machines as harvesting humanity for something extremely basic that completely wasted their actual potential. Using their brains to push ones and zeros is a bit of a harder sell as a "bad thing" than "you's a battery nigga."

>everyone who posts what I don't like is the same person

hello summer.

Reloaded was a legitimate decent action movie.

Definitely not great though. Basically every scene in Zion is boring and feels pointless. It's just some bland, monotone exposition to set up the next big action scene inside the Matrix. Most of the action scenes are outstanding though. The only one that really feels dated is the scene in the park where Neo is fighting an army of Smiths. Other than that, the rest of the action is spectacular. The Architect scene is pretty much the only engaging non-action scene, and that's just because the Architect and his TV room were so mysterious and creepy.

Revolutions is shit. Almost entirely shit. There were a few neat visuals like some exceptional cinematography in the train station, the part where they fly over the clouds, and Zion's last stand against the squids. Other than those few moments, everything else was awful. The action was shit. The writing was shit. The plot was shit. The movie is roughly 85% shit.

I liked the BvS posts, they were actually encouraging people to talk about films as art rather than just vehicles for memes. I'm saying you oscillate between wanting the board to be a better place and shitposting cuck and pedo shit. More often than not you're just a fag, though.

oh and
>2006+10
>hello summer/reddit/newfag is still an insult
Faggot.

I honestly don't know why revolutions still have such a bad reputation, I genuinely love it

the first one ended so nicely. the sequels were okay, but unnecessary

>test audiences wouldn't see a problem with being a pentium processor and/or, wouldn't know what a pentium processor looked like if it was held up.

Nah, humans being used as CPU's would instantly set the right tone imo. Machines that completely defeated the human race, only keeping them around as processing slaves. In that case the matrix could even be explained as a basic input output system. Imagine everything a person encounters in the matrix is actually input, and the way the person reacts to it is output. It would be far more cruel than the purpose of the matrix in the actual movies.

The audience not understanding what a CPU is could easily be circumvented by some additional exposition, e.g. neo saying: "they're using our brains as computers?"

Was the idea that humans are batteries meant literally as a raw source of power and energy or could it be interpreted to mean what you're saying?

Neo just 'woke up' so I doubt Morpheus would hit him (and viewers) with:
>Okay humans are the CPU RAM in the digisphere cloud made by robots and my spaceship the USS VPN--
>u wot m8
>Like, they're these robots that have created a big fake reality and are using our interactions with it to--
>...
>Like a battery. We're like a big battery they're drawing, uh, power from. Keeping us as slaves. And shit.
>Oh! That's evil!

They already cover a lot of ground selling what the Matrix is, it would just slow things down and become unnecessarily technical to explain what's going on. Yes, Neo is computer literate but most viewers at the time were not. It was a time when movies like Hackers were coming out so dragging people through a basic computing class in a sexy goth fetish action movie would have killed it.

You're exaggerating. I think with the right visuals and a tiny bit of exposition the message would've been clear enough for most of the audience. There will always be those people that don't understand anything complex, but I think those are the same people that don't understand what morpheus meant with holding up the duracell. And you know what, even the people that don't understand would still think something like "wow, i don't understand but that's some nasty shit man" which is the exact purpose of such a scene.

I don't see any complaints OP

Put it this way.

This is what people thought processors were in the late 90s. youtube.com/watch?v=R4o2Bbp5wg4

The point the scene needs to get across is the machines are turning people (you, me, your mom) into interchangeable, completely replaceable, expendable, individually worthless resource nodes.

So you can either do that with morpheus holding up a battery, or explain parallel computing and neural nets to 90s audiences in less than 10 minutes. The reaction to the architect's speech alone should tell you how the latter would've played out.

So I'm some sort of mad god.

thanks?

>The point the scene needs to get across is the machines are turning people (you, me, your mom) into interchangeable, completely replaceable, expendable, individually worthless resource nodes.

That was already established by showing countless humans in pods, all of their brains wired to hubs. Effective visual imagery. I get your point about people in the late nineties understanding jack shit about anything computer related, but even if the purpose of the matrix was left a bit ambiguous. I think it would've had more impact than just saying "humans are batteries, matrix is VR". Morpheus could've said something like: "the exact purposes of keeping us like cattle are unknown, what we do know is the machines are using our brains for something"

Morpheus saying he doesn't know why the robots are doing what they're doing just raises more questions. For the purpose of telling a story in a standalone movie we have to keep moving. Standing around in a white room and talking at each other puts the brakes on the flow of things and unless even more exposition is crucial to the shootout at the end then cut it and go.
I agree, it could have been interesting to expand on the ideas and is certainly something that would have been fun to explore in the sequels. Instead we get twins and motorcycle chases and orgasm cake and whatever else. The conversation with the architect is where the second movie should have started.

>That was already established by showing countless humans in pods

>The conversation with the architect is where the second movie should have started.
>"hello neo, i'm the architect, i created the matrix, technobabble time."
>"did you know you aren't actually duracells? no, you're actually processors for your machine overlords, you do our math homework without even knowing it. banging some hot chick, nope, actually our math homework. getting mugged by some thug? math homework"
>"what I'm trying to say...NEO LISTEN TO ME, STOP FUCKING WITH MY COMPUTER, CUNT"

>that moment when you realize everyone else on the earth really is just that stupid

thanks MTV

During that scene probably 90% of the audience just didn't understand a single fuck about was going on. The other 10% facepalmed at the stupidity of it all.

whats important I you found a way to feel superior to both.

ERGO OPEN YOUR YAPPER ONE MORE TIME AND I WILL ARCHITECT A WORLD OF PAIN ALL OVER YOUR CANDY ASS

The thing that made the first matrix work was the relatability and arc of neo. There are other elements in the movie that are well executed and well written and make the story interesting but in the end if we didn't care about neo's journey the movie wouldn't have worked.

The problem with 2 and 3 is that neo is still front and center and he has nothing to do but fight the bad guys. He's like a janitor and the machines and mr smith are dirty floors.

What they should have done is introduce a new main character, or multiple. Shift the focus, and make neo some figure of legend that we don't see all that much directly.

But to do that well you need a good writer and not two writers who blew their wad and lost their mojo alltogether.

don't be mad i'm enlightened by my own intelligence

nice post and nice quads

To be fair, the wachowskis did originally feel a matrix sequel centered around neo couldn't be more than one movie.

Then studio was all like "lotr tho"

There's literally nothing wrong with them

Uh, okay.
I mean all that happens between the end of the first film and the end of the third is that Neo punches more holograms. If he becomes the enlightened savior, one of a many in a series, it seems like the Architect would just cut out all the middle shit and get to business.

The Animatrix did a fantastic job of showing the robot overlords to be more than one dimensional world barriers that have to be overcome and two more movies of something like that would have been infinitely more interesting.

Losing Neo's path isn't really a big deal, Luke did the same thing between movies in Star Wars. Ideally you make a story like the Matrix to turn people on to philosophy and get them to ask questions and there's so much more that could have been discussed but was either left out or left ambiguous, like the battery or second Matrix concept.

Neo stepping out of the Matrix and looking up at the sky and wondering if he's just found his way into another more elaborate bullshit clusterfuck would have been a better path. Or actually trying to work with the machines, and no doubt be betrayed, to free humans and save the 'real' wold. Instead the ending we get is a video game fighter match and machines promising they're going to offer people a way out.

Okay, so you wake up and the real world is this busted, shitty mess of metal and plastic with blackened skies-- what happens when those people want to go back into the Matrix? What happens when people who won't put up with robot bullshit start another war with them? The third movie ends right where things start to get interesting.

revolutions basically ends with giving people the option of living in a pretty comfortable fake world or a horrid real world. Kinda like working retail versus going off the grid.

Another fan theory which actually makes more sense.

>The Animatrix did a fantastic job

that's what i don't understand. it shows the wachowskis know how to write some interesting stuff. why did they go full retard with reloaded and revolutions?

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP*

No it isnt, the reason they are disliked was because they were trying to be 2deep4u and chucked in werewolves out of nowhere and tried to do too much to be down with the kids

i lamo every time
good post
upboat

he posted it again
the absolute madman!

No faggot. Just no.

Let me guess, you think the prequels are fantastic movies that only you are intelligent enough to understand

Why did they decide they were women