I want to buy a cheap hardware synthesizer to learn synthesizers. I have no experience what so ever. Budget: 500$ tops

I want to buy a cheap hardware synthesizer to learn synthesizers. I have no experience what so ever. Budget: 500$ tops.

Does anybody here have experience with any of the following synths: Arturia Microbrute, Novation Bass Station II, Novation Mininova, Korg Monologue, Korg Minilogue

Which one of these would be best suited for a synth noob? Feel free to recommend others.

Other urls found in this thread:

korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/minilogue/
youtube.com/watch?v=1bO07ge3hzo
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/207577
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/232028
thesynthesizersympathizer.com/2016/05/buying-your-first-synthesizer-2016-guide.html
youtube.com/watch?v=RIQ-rdgY1gw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a minilogue and itsnpretty versatile and you'll be able to do a lot with it

casio and only casio

no budget

we synth like poor ppl

I have a mininova, it's pretty cool but I don't use it much.

Definitely makes some awesome sounds though, and it's quite powerful.

microbrute, bass station and monologue can't into polyphony. that limits fun a lot.

korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/minilogue/
This one does.

And I see now it's a MINIlogue, not a MONOlogue. Sorry

Which one would you recommend and why?

Don't have a lot of criteria, but preferably something I can take with me easily, in a backpack or something. And the synth would need to have a keyboard.

I have a microbrute, it's pretty fun to play, needs constant wall power and if slightly heavy as is monophonic. If you want transportability and polyphony maybe lookat the Yamaha Reface CS and DX.

Polyphony isn't something that I need. I just want something small and fun to play. The Microbrute seems to me to be a good and fun starter synth.

I would also like knobs, not buttons. There's just something cool about turning knobs as opposed two pressing buttons.

What is the main difference between the Microbrute and the Minibrute? Except the size.

Get the Microbrute if you don't care about polyphony. It's got a wonderfully thick analog sound.

The Minilogue is awesome looking but I find that it sounds weak and too trebly. If you're looking for polyphony then just save twice as much money and get a Prophet 08.

Microbrute is pure old school analog heaven but no polypony and very "in your face" sound.
Mininiva is very versatile, polyphonic and can be found cheap. It is digital though.
Monologue seems like Korg trying to do Microbrute but I don't have much info about it otherwise.
Minilogue is really nice poly but sounds you get from it are specific. I would watch some videos before.
No info about Bass Station. Sorry.

Found this commercial on the Microbrute
youtube.com/watch?v=1bO07ge3hzo

Not sure if it's the machine itself or the beautiful girl playing it, but I want this now!

microbute, but if it's not too big for you, a used microkorg would be my #1 recommendation

The Bass Station II is monophonic, has a second oscillator, full-size keys and I suspect also a better build quality compared to the Microbrute.
That said, a Microbrute can be pretty cool if you might fall for the eurorack meme later on. It's also the cheapest and a good option for a first synth. That's the one I bought, though I think I would have preferred a Korg MS-20 mini if they weren't so noisy.

I would recommend pic related. I have it for 4-5 years and i am really glad with it. It cost around 400$.

bitches don't know bout my modular

Roland JD-Xi

That shit looks expensive. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on this setup?

download a digital one

I lost track. But yes, Eurorack is a black hole for you top throw money into.

modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/207577

modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/232028

List is curated by a redditor afaik, but if you don't have autism and can look past what site the guy browses, this is a damn good list.

thesynthesizersympathizer.com/2016/05/buying-your-first-synthesizer-2016-guide.html

I want a real one.

i own a alesis micron and it's pretty decent, has a built in 16 step sequencer, vocoder capabilites, loads of decent preset and you can make your own sound. No real complaints with it other than some of the dreadful drum packs

can buy for around $200

Let's say I end up buying a Microbrute. What other equipment would you recommend I buy to use with it?

Valium

What about amphetamines?

Save your money. Get a MIDI controller and VSTs. Synth hardware is definitely on the way out according to the NAMM show.

why's that?

i'll waste my money if I wanna, tyvm

Think I'll buy a hardware synth.

That's cool, but just be aware it never ends. You'll sell a synth you bought to buy another that you think has all the features you want.

But then you'll realize something's missing, whether it be some MIDI functionality, some stupid bug in the sequencer or arpeggiator, or a weird filter that makes everything sound bad.

It's all really frustrating and depressing. I gave up on hardware synths around 5 years ago, after collecting them for 10+ years. The world of VST makes the world of synthesis so much easier and more affordable.

Easier maybe. Just as fun? Doubt it

"Why go to a fine restaurant when you could just stick something in the microwave... Why go to the park and fly a kite when you could just pop a pill?"
- Cosmo Kramer

I know what you mean, but you can always map functions from the soft synth to the knobs on the MIDI controller.

whats a good portable synth? something that can be played anywhere

Teenage Engineering OP-1

answered your own question there buddy

I use a Casio CZ-101 and a Korg VolcaBass. Both are excellent, the VolcaBass is great for bass and leads and is very cheap. The whole Volca series would be a good jumping off point for you.
This couldn't be more false.

Were you at NAMM? Softsynths entirely outweighed hardware this year

dont buy a cheap synth better save a for a classic like a jupiter or a roland d-50

Synth hardware has been having a modern renaissance the past 5 years. Look at Korg, Roland, and Arturia, it's a huge business. Obviously VSTs are cheap and easy, they're not going away.
Buying a vintage synth you can't maintain is a terrible idea for anyone's first synth.

Yes, and it's all cheap, plastic, disposable shite. Hardware being built today is to satisfy the bedroom producer market and the resurgence of "eighties music". This trend will not last.

Of course it is if you buy digital shit. Modern analog hardware is more reliable than the old stuff is, and it sounds dope. Korg in particular is doing good work, Roland's stuff is all fake analog, and Arturia's stuff is kind of for memes. I'll happily give Korg credit where it's due for making real analog shit in a cheap plastic case. The sounds are what I'm after and they nail it for $150

Roland system 1

>saying a synth is "for memes"

All children's opinions discarded. Have fun with your Volcas, kid

Oberheim Matrix or Klavia Nordlead 2.

>Oberheim Matrix
youtube.com/watch?v=RIQ-rdgY1gw

It's beautiful.

you are definitely right. obsessing over synths are like the fags spending thousands on a les paul. like it doesnt make that big of a fucking difference. however, if you want a synth for fun and arent expecting it to make your tracks sound any better, then you should definitely get a synth! I have a couple synths and I hardly even use them on my tracks cause i can get good enough sound just fine on a vst kek i just like messing around on them. people who go on and on about the synth sounds arent thinking of the future and are limiting themselves by saying that they cant get the same sound without it. its obviously theoretically possible and boils down to skill, also if you just want to sound like your favorite artist who uses said synth youre not even being original and thats just flat out stupid.

yeah i got a volca keys and its really fun, would recommend. better to get a cheapy thing than to spend 500 dollars on your first one.

Well said.

i have a bass station 2 and it's a great beginner's monosynth. it's packed to the fucking brim with features and you can save 120 patches which is a huge advantage over the microbrute. i also think the microbrute sounds like fucking shit personally but the bs2 is amazing for fat, thick bass and can do leads and pretty much whatever as well.

for polyphony and pads and stuff just pirate a good software synth and use the bs2 as a midi controller for it. best of both worlds.

oh and the step sequencer is the fucking shit once you learn how to use it properly.

I got one last year and it's a wonderful machine user. i like it a lot

but if youre looking for portability and fun then also look into the Korg Volca series, especially the FM

Ha! sharp user.

OP-1 if you have enough money
Korg Volca series.
Korg monotron, more of a filter/toy but still fun
mintysynth looks cool too

Could look into effects pedals