Is modern simpsons shit because the writers are terrible or is there some other reason?

Is modern simpsons shit because the writers are terrible or is there some other reason?

Is the drop in quality because it reflects the culture of the time? Has society degraded, and the mainstream culture that gave rise to classic simpsons is lost to the ages?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
youtube.com/watch?v=39ZCWIgDgOk
youtube.com/watch?v=9QEsjd1WZuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 this thread turns into a spic bart simpson smoking weed dump

It's shit because they're desperate for ratings so they shoehorn celebs like Lady Gaga or Simon Cowell.

yes

Una vela...

They basically just got really, really last and unimaginative but nobody called them on it so it just got worse.

It's just a tired show. Nothing to be done about that.

It's been on too long. They've exhausted all "simple" story lines so now it's a standard sitcom. Whatever charm or magic from the first few seasons is gone.

Even if you took the writing staff from the golden age, it'd still blow.

this shit cracks me up every fucking time, what's with mexicans/south americans and Bart

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

Remember back when Simpsons had a reference/theme based on some popular thing of the time, and everybody was like
>ooooh shiiiiit they're going to get the SIMPSONS treatment!

Nowadays it just feels like a promo or a commercial to the show/thing they're supposedly satirizing.

why did they do this intro? what was the point?

Because

DUDE
POPULAR THING
LMAO

Tik Tok is EASILY one of the best songs of the 21st century, it's literally the ultimate pop song

No I do t remember that at all. I remember original story lines that didn't rely on Pop culture

i just started reading and thank you for this user

It's a shame how they won't do episodes like your pic anymore where there's some reality to it.

Everything's just forced meme shit now and the characters resemble looney tunes more than actual human beings.

It's been years since I've watched the show, and years since I've heard anyone talk about it outside of here, besides a few references to old episodes. Who even watches it anymore?

they achieved massive success and ended up their own asses thinking anything they'd do would be golden. happens all the time.

This.

It's a character-driven comedy that has has been on for nearly three decades. All interesting character dynamics have been explored. All good stories have been told. It should have been put to rest 15 years ago.

They lost the subversive element.

The Simpsons was very subversive when it was released and started as an adult show, now is harmless family show. That had nothing to do with the writters, but with producers/network and the target they are aiming.

The simpsons is more a product now than 20 years ago, even the animation feels bland, the show lacks of a reason and become an infomercial for they own IP. Maybe they just caught the momentum when it was released and the producers never really understand what make it great in the beginning.

I watch all the new episodes as soon as they have aired. Sometimes because I secretly hope they would be good again, but mostly because of the habit of watching the new Simpsons episodes. They're not getting any better, they just get shittier and shittier. One of the recent episodes even had a gamergate reference... and the episode was anti-gamergate and pro-lisa's hypocritical bullshit.

I honestly have no fucking idea.

It did have one good joke, shockingly.
>A female teacher? I thought this was coding, not web design.

I liked Comic Book Guy saying "Everything I say offends them" or something to that effect.

Yeesh. It's weird to me because I never hear the show mentioned by anyone, even simple DUDE SMOKIN WEED WATCHIN FAMILY GUY LMAO type shit. It is pretty neat that it's had that longevity in its own way despite the decline in quality, but I'm really surprised it pulls in enough ratings to justify still airing. Maybe it's bigger outside the US still than I realize.

Look kids, it's Batman!

Everybody already knows it and I've said it many times before, but goddamn the classic episodes are comfy. That hand drawn art, that direction, those camera angles, that atmospheric music, those warm fuzzy colors, that contrast between bright lights and darkness etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=39ZCWIgDgOk

The new episodes are so clunky and soulless, animation sucks, the sound sucks, and most of all the episodes suck. When I was younger I was excited to see new Simpsons episodes get visually "better" and more high definition, but as I grew older I realized the show stopped being fun and it completely lacked the surreal "unfinished" look that gave it heart.

If I ever get to do my own cartoon show I will do it like the classic Simpsons.

In latin american The Simpsons is pretty big.
In Chile they still air the show EVERY FUCKING DAY

The fuck was up with that simpsons live questionnaire thing? That was boring as hell.

They show like three episodes a day here in Finngolia too but it's not that big of a deal.

Seriously? What times? I'd actually love that. I like putting simpsons on the tv to use as background noise and something and do the occasional glance at while I'm doing other stuff. They barely even air one episode a day for us here.

19:00, then 20:00-21:00. On Sundays it's a marathon from 11:00 to somewhere around 14:00.

FOX airs like 10 episodes a day here in Italy

The animation has turned into the same copy+paste flash shit that FOX uses for Family Guy. Practically every shot is this same eye level crap, nobody moves unless they're talking and everyone just stands next to each other in a plane. Not to even mention the colours and the brightness.

Yeah the original series had a lot of terrible technical errors, but at least it had a charm and soul to it.

It was still the most innovative Simpsons in 15 years.

Is this on freeTV for you guys or is it cable television? Cause if that's on free tv that'd pretty dope.

There's no such thing as free TV, you have to pay taxes for it. But no, it doesn't require cable.

Well that Kardashian family seems to make a fair bit of money out of their show. If people watch that trash then people will watch The Simpsons.

I'd probably watch it every damn day if it was on where I live, assuming that it's from early seasons.

Classic Simpsons is simply god-tier TV, now and forever.

There's a decent episode every now and then, but Lisa is really insufferable and they focus on her way too much.

Classic Simpsons episodes also were homages to great movies. Each episode has some element or elements that throws back to a classic film, play, or book.

You don't see that in the millenium episodes. On the rare occasion that you do, they're more like a cold gag like Family Guy does rather than something that feels natural to the episode.

Why does every modern cartoon look like this? Including the new Simpsons.

Wacom Tablets replacing hand drawn animation

it was very much a 90s show

Family guy and South Park took over its place, any attempt at being edgy (I mean the 2000 era edgy, not today's meaning) was blown over by sodomy and masturbation jokes.

new writers just don't understand pacing jokes, they all drag on far far too fucking long. Older simpsons episodes were just packed full of jokes and humour; newer simpsons would waste minutes of time setting up the latest inane plotline or story and jokes were continued long past any normal person would cut it off.

characters have to over-react to everything; that and understandably their vocal range has gone downhill since they're 2 and a half fucking decades older.

the computer generated art is completely and utterly fucking soulless. Just look at OP's image, what emotion is that supposed to be portraying? The animation is frame-perfect, which looks awful and completely removes any benefit of actually being animated. South Park's animation budget has gone up but ultimately they haven't lost sight of some of it's quirks and charms (like the lack of walking animation unless it's for comedic purpose)

Adobe Flash and tablets. Modern cartoons are basically high budget Newgrounds animations.

Pop culture references back then were just used for a quick joke, TOH episodes, and maybe an episode every know and again. Now in zombie Simpsons pretty much every episode is pop culture based. It's not even timeless pop culture, it's gonna age like shit

I hate how in New simpsons they have to over explain every joke. I know it's a newer episode when homer's voice fluctuates to a situation to portray humor

they ran out of things to parody or reference, so now they're just making memes.
also, the very setup of the show doomed it from the start. not having the character grow up means there HAS to be episode like the one from season 19 (i think) where Homer reminisces about his youth in the early 90s.

Flash isn't an animation standard. Some studios may use it but it's far from what's used by most large commercial studios.

Toon Boom
Mirage
Toonz

There's another popular one that recently went open source that I can't remember the name right now for some reason.

yea, pretty much the same problem new futurama had: fucking references to Lady GaGa and Facebook in the fucking year 3010

Toonz did go open source recently.

Best Simpsons episode

Go

its completely the writers fault, i hear all the time that they cant stay good for 30 seasons and i agree, however they did spiked straight to shit with the change in writers.
Modern simpson writers are modern simpsons writers because they cant do anything else

Oh I must've confused it with another one then. Still I feel like I'm missing a big one on that list.

You only move twice

youtube.com/watch?v=9QEsjd1WZuY

we had a big as fuck counterfit market since we never got any official merch so instead of walking around with legit simpsons tshirts we had niggers make bart ones supporting drugs, killing police officers and rooting for the local football teams.
It was some sorth of proto meme and its been around forever

This episode has a joke every beat. It has Phil Hartman at his best. It has Jeff Goldblum, and the title alone in context of the episode is pure fucking gold.

no way that scooby doo is real? Thats a cutaway gag from Family Guy, r-right?

Unfortunately it is.

i belive its actually hillary clintons campaign that covers 70% of the money coming into the show.

You could argue that the humor got a lot more personal. Liberals changed a lot since 1991 and they lost their soul in the process. Now they try to shoehorn in SJW humor and make blatant insults to Jesus, anyone who wouldn't vote for Bernie Sanders and Capitalism.

I still watch and its really jarring to hear the occasional out of character joke like

"yay cookies, thanks mom"
"Don't thank me Lisa, thank the non existent God that doesn't exist for the dough, and thank Jesus who never existed too"
"yaaaay"

She was literally the only reason Homer went to church at all in the first seasons.

season 27 was the best since 10 desu senpai

they actually don't give a fuck because they know people only watch because of the nostalgia

wtf? 3 new mcfarlane shows?

Have they inserted Edna's VA's death into the show or did they just remove her character like when Hartman died?

(not true by the way)

There's something soulless about this picture

They had "We'll miss you, Mrs. K." on the chalkboard and she was just gone.

Because Fox forced them to do it as some sort of "pop song week" thing they were doing with all of their shows.

Wait, they forced them to do that? I thought the writers had free reign to do what they want with the show.

>Fox
>Free reign

kek

Well old Futurama did that as well, in the Robot hell one they go to a Beastie Boys concert. But they never made episodes around the references and the way they were handled felt less shoehorned in. The new episode Eye-phone shit was awful

ok that was worth a chuckle.

Normally, yes, they have free reign to write whatever they want, provided it stays within FCC regulations and Fox's standards and practices. But this time, Fox actually forced them to do something.

Although, unlike Hartman's characters, Edna Krabappel is confirmed dead. Ned Flanders and Nelson Muntz mourn her at the end of "The Man Who Grew Too Much".

Ned Flanders (to whom she was married in the later seasons) and Nelson said that they missed and her in season 25. Ned also wore a black armband and cried after noting that he knew a little something about losing the lady of the house in the season 27 finale.

I've mentioned that here before. The older Simpsons used to make fun of all sorts of things, and it could be really critical and caustic about popular trends. Now the most caustic they can be is to give a brand a silly name, like "MyPod."

Some replied to me that it really is the writers' fault because when they grew up watching the Simpsons, they didn't catch any of the satire and just thought it was just about being wacky. Although I would also believe that the producers think it's too risky to attack popular trends for fear of losing dumb viewers who don't like to be challenged. Or maybe they have secret money deals or something. That doesn't sound far fetched desu.

Futurama had a couple like Kidnapster, and Obama's birth place.

Got the DVDs of season 1 to 13
The change got pretty noticeable around 11
>Seasons 1 - 4 don't have the play all option

not always, season 27 was a step in the right direction

they didn't even bother with making dvds of anything past season 17. even they know nobody's interested.

Everything turns to shit eventually.

Everything.

not only that, but it seems animation isn't even taught properly anymore.

i've learned more about animation on my own than my university degree ever provided. they treat it as a bonus that's nice to have but shouldn't be taken too seriously.
like, what the fuck. i'm studying design at the moment and the only exposure to animation i've had was a 1st year elective. it was so shallow i felt like i could've picked anything else just to learn something new.
hell, i did in fact pick the next best thing the following year. screen and sound practices to better understand film and tv. it was so much more fleshed out, people didn't even wanna teach animation.
some things you just can't keep going forever. 2D animation is the junk food of the media industry. no one wants to teach it, no one wants to master it and "mastering" it doesn't get you anywhere.

i'm afraid the same will happen with 3D, so i'm already teaching myself the basics of modeling in blender. i hope i can turn this into a legit thing before i graduate. life is hard.

Look how depressing that still is. Everything is a dark washed out blue apart the the actual characters. You can tell how Homer feels without see his face. The new episodes can't replicate this and will try to add in some wacky humor element to it.

I feel like an idiot but I've only now got the flaming moe double entendre thanks to the image name. They must have said it over a dozen times in that episode and it just flew over my head.

I was watching some old Family guy the other, and it did strike me how the scenes were drawn from much different angles while new seasons are all flat.

Unless you study at Digipen most schools will not teach proper animation. The same animation principles that apply in 2D apply in 3D, however most schools that teach 3D animation only teach the technical aspects of animation in 3D not the style and artistic skills.

AnimationMentor, Kenny Roy's video tutorials and Anigym, and Animator's Survival kit are things I highly recommend. They all apply traditional principles of animation in all their stuff.

Seth McFarlane is often blamed for killing traditional animation with Family Guy, which is ironic considering he used to be an animator.

You can really see the difference between how the 90s viewed nerds and the modern take on nerds in this episode. You've got comicbook guy who is a traditional nerd, and then you've got these modern products of capitalism "gamurr girls" with their dyed hair and piercings who only become "nerds" because it's cool or some shit

I wouldn't be surprised if this gamuur girl image has been designed by companies for profit

The Kidnapster kind of worked in the context of a future version of the internet being completely VR and piracy developing into stealing peoples actual images. The internet was still pretty new to most people at the time so it worked, not pop culture as much as riding the new tech wave. And plus that is only in the start of the episode, once fry has his Lucy Lu copy the theme changes.

The Obama birther one is from the newer seasons and is shit, like most of the new seasons, for the same reasons Simpsons is now shit. The whole episode revolves around the birther controversy.

flash animation

thanks for the tips. best i've gotten so far was looking up old magazines where don bluth was interviewed on animation techniques.

Fuck you for making me remember that Futurama literally made a "Sure Obama might be an illegal immigrant, but who cares? He's the most compassionate and honorable politician who ever lived, in fact he might be TOO GOOD for this shitty country" episode

$pringfield

Cartoons have always looked like that because they've been about physical comedy, singing, dancing, and the animation itself. Simple and flat wide angle shots of characters standing on what might as well be a stage are the easiest and most functional way of representing those things. Sitcoms have the same kind of presentation, and of course many of these shows are just animated sitcoms.

Cartoon animation is also simple to do because you don't have to draw complex storyboards, paint tons of backgrounds, maintain continuity and perspective across different shots, and constantly draw characters from different perspectives. You probably have to draw more frames of animation than in anime, but nobody expects anything from the animation or is able to tell if it's shit, and the character designs are dead simple.

>There's another popular one that recently went open source that I can't remember the name right now for some reason.
RETAS?

>basics of modeling in blender

god speed user

it has one of the shittiest interfaces of all 3d modelers

Oh wait you said "recently went open source."

Well they needed something to sell at Hot Topic after the emo and Twilight phases didn't they?