zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ve88BGz0nPc
youtube.com/watch?v=abFI9YTIW1U
youtube.com/watch?v=MYFvW4ypbt8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>His smile and optimism: gone

this is why props will look so much scarier than cgi, you cant trick the brain

youtube.com/watch?v=vRqU-93mHns

When seen in HD edges on Maul's horn prosthetics were horrible, Like, did no one bother to hide them?

that paint job is awesome

getting her into those jeans is some FX i can get behind

God damn, everything else looks great but those horns stick out like a sore fucking thumb

>comparing this to 2016's Ghostbusters
What the fucking fuck happened?

oops you already posted this image. my bad user!

but please take my wider version

>They will never make movies like this again
;_;

Based zillabro
youtube.com/watch?v=d1IQMqB0uoQ

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

The Joker was the big guy all along...

I don't have an image but on the DVD features; the entire end scene with all the camp being demolished was half practical and half miniature

>hardly any green screen
Also the aliens had lots of practicals done too

FUCK YOU HATERS! Whether you didn't like this movie for the story or casting; movies like this still actually put in the work to produce realistic looking content compared to Jurassic World - that is just a big CGI turd

I had no fucking idea the car chase scene in Dark Knight was miniature until I found out last month.

HOLY SHIT NOLAN!

well, I always gave the movie props for this.

doesnt really save it, tho

And despite that he still couldn't edit it properly

This is a guilty pleasure of mine.

that's nice but it's still a shitty movie

>The Phantom Menace

inb4 "It was all CGI"

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

Nolan is a big fan of practical effects and classic film techniques like rear screen projection. Pretty much most of the props, spaceships, etc in Interstellar were all practical effects

This always makes me wonder why there wasn't more practical work on the gungans. Some minor CG enhancements would have been way better.

can't believe they CGI'd all miniatures

FUCKING DEPARTMENT!!

Behind the scenes of Alien are great, especially the model work.

>zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html

I meant CGI'd over practicals not miniatures

WHY would they do this?? arghh

Imagine working your ass off for months to create those FX, only to have all your work CGI'd over.

>me
youtube.com/watch?v=ve88BGz0nPc

That's not a miniature. The proper term is bigature.

HARUOED.com

Hollywood is filled with fucking retards

This is pretty much what happened with Star Wars prequels that prequelfags won't admit - most of the miniatures were used only for reference and replaced by CGI anyways in the final movie because Lucas found motion-matching cameras tiresome.

They also used practical effects in jurassic world and other recent movies.
What is it with cgi-ing all over it? having it practical in the first place seems pretty pointless to me, if you plan to shit on the movie with ugly cg anyway

water+miniatures = destroyed illusion

Does Hollywood nowadays have any idea how cheap and fake CGI looks or do they just do it because of laziness and because it's quicker?

How has nobody posted some of the most realistic practicals ever from movie Videodrone

youtube.com/watch?v=abFI9YTIW1U

yeah that entire pod racing stadium was miniature until Lucas decided to CGI it... WHY

Initially they were going to CGI only his neck, and face, but it was more expensive to do that than make him entirely CGI, so they went with the cheaper option.

and honestly probably for the better, jar jar was so shitty looking, I can only imagine how bad an actor with a cgi face would have looked like

awww maaaaan

It looks like from Jodo's Dune

MURPH

I wonder if the original camera negatives (pre-filtered versions) still exist? You could essentially go back and get rid of the stupid look that Lucas gave the film that made everyone ignore the good model work.

James Cameron painting a matte for Escape from New York

youtube.com/watch?v=MYFvW4ypbt8

I recommend watching the Thunderbirds documentary.

You never watched a Gerry Anderson production it seems.

That's right, Jay.

A lot of people from Jodorosky's Dune project worked on Alien

James Cameron working on the hero ship model (which he designed with tits on the ship) for Battle Beyond the Star

Dude on the right has a massive dick

>WHY
Because synchronizing movements between live-action and miniature cameras is hard as hell.

Notice how Cameron who was filming Titanic pretty much at the same time as TPM had to make most of the composited shots static.

That file name

This is the best thread on Sup Forums in months

I saw the same exact post before

oh I did.
I mean, you can try your best to diminish the effects of it, but one can always see the true size of the water

>Harry, Hairy and Baldie

this

HD ruins a lot of movies

the Hobbit in 4k on a giantass screen is ridicolous. you can see every fake nose and beard-line.

>you cant trick the brain
cgi already tricked you and you don't know it.

Its a metapod lol

Everything in that webm looks like a miniature it's not even funny.

This guy is right about the water too.

If the movie has "FX stuff", then it's for children. You should kill yourself if you think any of this is good.

woah

But it's practical FX. That automatically means it's beyond criticism.

must have been hard to build it. they really jerked off with that pretty long in the movie

almost every movie has effects

who says that?

>almost every pleb shit I watch has effects

ftfy

Every movie has some kind of special effect. Even plays have effects. The whole point of this thread is to appreciate all the work that goes into practical FX. Please fuck off back to /got/

>go back to /got/
>appreciates FX

lkl

Where can I buy Zillapants?

When filming Titanic, Cameron decided to build the models upside down because then he could just film them just by walking around with camera (and then invert the image later) and this method gave his shots great mobility. Also, it was easier to set up lights this way.

Gotta say that deadpool has one of the best costumes out there.

Pacific rim had some neat practical stuff.

the cockpits were all practical,

the mako flashback was actually a big set that was designed to shake as the monster walked, and even had the dumpster in the alley set up to crumple as it was smashed by the monster. the only CGI in that flashback was actually the kaiju, which was neat.

although special mention goes to the fact that the CGI monsters were designed specifically so they would look like a dude in a suit practical effect.

del taco loves his practical effects

In Aliens, scenes with miniature vehicles were all filmed in 48 fps and then slowed down twice to make the toys appear heavier and less floaty.

The views in the windows were simply screens playing a movie with 0.5x speed.

Sorry for my poor English.