Fuck what a weird yet amazing movie

Fuck what a weird yet amazing movie

thats like the most amazing cast of people I'd like to drop off a tall building

three of them are barely in the movie, luckily

its sad that people trying to mimic the coen brothers style in the fargo TV show actually do a better job then they can now... maybe they are to rich to care anymore

Did you like it? I watched it twice and both times I felt disappointed. Great cast, though!

Coens can't into comedy

They can dark comedy. But when it's something like this or Intolerable Cruelty, it just falls flat.

>actually liking the fargo tv show
shit taste confirmed

Trying to mimic Wes Anderson is so much worse.

I'm the same with Burn Without Reading.

But honestly every other CoBro film has massive rewatchability..So I kind of think it's just me that doesn't get those 2

It was ok. not bad and a fun diversion but definitely a major step down from Inside Llewyn Davis, which was a masterpiece.

>one bad movie
>now they are worthless hacks

The more I think about it the more Llewyn Davis might be their best movie

literally the only good thing about the movie

I feel like this will get praise in a few years, once everyone has watched it a couple more times

I think it may be. ILD's rewatchability factor is off the charts. It's that perfect line between existentially terrifying and comfy that all the best films achieve.

Why won't you go away?

I think it's more the only film of theirs that shows a real humanity to the characters. Most of their films are about cruel irony and laughing at their idiot characters, with ILD they seem to really empathize with him

It really is impressively directed. Some moments jumped out at me. Specifically, one single shot of the airforce guy holding up a black and white picture of a nuclear detonation, saying "this is real life". That image of a black and white picture of mass destruction, small in the frame and surrounded by vibrant popping color, with the character telling you this image is real life, was true kino. Also the dance choreography was an impressive showcase for the Coens, they really can do basically anything.

Yeah, what's weird is that all the reviews and friends' reactions I've seen seemed to write off Llewyn Davis as an asshole. But I thought he was a really deeply human character. Like he's a snarky dick to people sometimes but you can see he's hurting and his hunger really comes through, plus his singing is beautiful. The Coens always hold out a little empathy for their characters, even the idiot ones, but Llewyn Davis was just a perfect Coen protagonist. Oscar Isaac's performance was definitely a big part of that, I'd like to see him work with them again.

You don't even need to watch it a few times. It's just the collective IQ is going down and can't appreciate a masterpiece when they see it.

This movie has such an amazing subtext, so many readings, so much between the lines... And there's so many details and homages to classic Hollywood without being sardonic.

People who dismiss it as a light comedy are idiots.

What is going on besides Eddie Mannix is Jesus? I'm not trying to be a snot. I really want to know.

>would that it twer so simple

I remember literally nothing about the movie except Channing Tatum is a communist and the girl I saw it with gave a terrible handjob.

This scene was so much fun.

>masterpiece
Take it easy mate, it's cool if you like it but in no way is this some 2deep4u patrician film. The centerpieces are an extended joke about gay sailors, "a priest, a rabbi, etc" joke, and some fairly obvious Hollywood homages. It's very much a light comedy with too many threads going in too many directions

I think the film, at least on a surface level, requires that you have watched a large amount of Hollywood films, as well as a degree of fascination with Hollywood. Many of the jokes and references may not be understood otherwise. I someone who belongs to both aforemention categories, I found the film quite delightful. It's fun seeing an era come to life like that. But with like many of the Cohen films, it's hard to tell whether it's satirising or paying homage to the studio system. Perhaps both.

>one
They're up to at least three so far. Intolerable cruelty, ladykillers, and now hail ceasar!

Someone else can probably name another of their shitshows.

The movie's biggest problem was how christopher lambert was the best part, by far.

The rest was just far too by the numbers.

>the 50s were hypocritical as hell
o rly.

>The rest was just far too by the numbers.
How is showing that films are the new religion of the capitalist society by the numbers?

>How is showing that films are the new religion of the capitalist society by the numbers?
I'm yawning just reading that.

Name any other movie that has the same message.

This story arc is pure kino.

I'm not the guy that said it's by the numbers, I just think critiques like that are banal and meaningless coming from a multi-million dollar Hollywood film. You can say it's subversive but the money all goes the same place

>Hollywood is not allowed to make Hollywood satires
Besides, what it criticized were pseudo-intellectual screenwriters and dumb actors. The industry itself was shown in a positive light by the end, a literal new truth made of light emerging from the strange sun drenched land.

Is this a real proper sentence?

It sounds like "has anyone ever been so far even"

its one of those messages that anyone capable of picking it up from a movie has known for years.

its also thin as fuck. but whatever.

its vaguely Shakespearean, that's about it.

I loved this movie, I don't get why autists in this site hated it

Most of them just have a few scenes, and Josh Brolin is awesome

A Serious Man, Llewellyn Davis, and this are on another level than their earlier meme movies

Based Subway man stole the movie with one scene.

[chuckles mirthlessly]

The "reddit boogeyman" you're raging against doesn't actually exist. Whats actually happening is the internet is mainstream. Thus all sorts of people (read: mindless simpletons) are jamming into every mainstream site on that internet (Sup Forums being mainstream since '08). But the internet/Sup Forums going mainstream didn't happen because reddit, reddit was just kinda there when it happened.

to think that you typed out that whole sentence without realizing why you didn't remember it at all.

> what it criticized were pseudo-intellectual screenwriters and dumb actors

The lortenz bits were criticizing, "this guys hot, put him in a dialogue driven drama set in high society" while showing that the guy is ridiculously skilled and his "inability to act" was primarily the director's fault for expecting him to go completely outside his range in his first take of his first movie of that type.

Furthermore, it wasn't so much criticizing the writers as it was criticizing how hollywood, at the time, treated EVERYONE like dogshit. Then sort of intimating that attitude resulted in shit movies.

He's got the cuntiest face

Any movie that can't hold my attention while a girl touches my penis is shit.

>Laurence Lorenz
Cracked me up. Bit gutted we didn't get more Ray Finez. Most of his screen time was in that one scene. I feel like they could have done more hilarious gags with his perfectionist yet placating director character.

>Furthermore, it wasn't so much criticizing the writers as it was criticizing how hollywood, at the time, treated EVERYONE like dogshit. Then sort of intimating that attitude resulted in shit movies.
Come on, the writers were shown as idealistic morons, quibbling over petty abstract terms and blindly following a twink dancer.
Another finger sandwich?