You have 10 seconds to explain why you're still storing mp3 files on your hard drive

You have 10 seconds to explain why you're still storing mp3 files on your hard drive.

Where else would I store them

I don't get it? Is it a codec thing? 'cause bits don't just disappear

>gets unbrickwalled
why wouldn't i

I have backups on USBs. Also, this doesn't happen.

>he doesn't know about rotational velocidensity
god damn I've been here too long

I dont have the memory space for FLAC

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange is well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place

>he doesn't know about rotational velocidensity
well i'll be cucked. the more you know

what the hell. this is all new to me

For those who don't know, each year an MP3 is on your hard drive, it loses about 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

>I just almost fell for this
thanks for the laff anons

Holy shit, I just tested this on the very first hard drive I ever owned.

There's almost nothing left, yet the file is still telling me it's 320kbps when clearly almost all data from it has been lost.

If you had kept this hdd properly stored, away from humidity, it probably would have been listenable, still well below 128kbps but not enough dataloss to be inaudible.

Stop trolling.

I tend to use m4a now

The solution is pretty straightforward, if somewhat impractical. Due to the coriolis effect being reversed in the southern hemisphere, all you need to do is move your hard drive there for as long as you've lived in the northern hemisphere. I believe there are even some companies that will look after your drives for you, testing them periodically, then send them back when they're back at a quality you specify.

Bullshit image is bullshit.

>I believe there are even some companies that will look after your drives for you

This is a meme, don't buy into this shit, they will leech you for money. The periodic "testing" is completely pointless as you can yourself with simple calculus figure out how long your drive needs to acclimate for. If you have any friends living in your desired area that you trust, simply mail them the drive and ask them to look after it.

Anyone know some good rotational velocidensity-core?

Yes you do, unless you're talking about on your phone.

This.

You are a troll or a fool. The data in the mp3 file hasn't changed.

If the output has changed then the culprit is your hardware.

Eat a dick.

This issue has been remedied by cloud storage. Upload all your music on the cloud and redownload it every 8-9 months and you should be good.

Or just don't be an idiot and download it in flac in the first place.

"No."

memes aside, stop listening to flac

oh mu how well you shitpost

>People STILL buying into this meme.

you guys are all taking a dumb joke way to seriously. This is all based off of a copypasta and no one is actually trying to fool anyone into thinking mp3s degrade

listen to your old mp3s and get back to me loser

6/10 because you edited the pasta but people are still falling for it

>Memep3.jpg

I have been since I saw this and most of my 128 and 114kbps albums sound find. Evan my 92s dont sound bad.

The retrogation must just now be setting in

>Thinking 1's and 0's can age

It's some dumb meme where people will try to convince newfags that this thing called "rotational velocidensity" exists and that mp3 files degrade over time.
It was funny twice but now it's just a retarded forced meme.

I recovered my old black/thrash metal mp3s from an hard drive I didn't open from 11 years. The shit sounds awful but then I realized it was just the music

LOL

What do you mean? They've been on my computer since 2009 if this were true these would be silence or glitched.

Because I can't find them any other place and they're all punk so it makes them more cool.

Does anyone else remember that artist that made an album and only saved it in mp3, then left it to sit on his hard-drive for a decade in order to get that degraded sound?

So none of you guys ever did that what.cd interview, huh?

It's a spectrogram, not a waveform, idiot.

Do ogg files age?

Yeah they go rotten after a few weeks

what about m4a ones?

or i could just redownload the albums lmao

All these newfags getting mad...
Sad!

I just convert the file back to 320kbps, once it wears out

I don't see a problem here...

many such cases!

This is a cute meme I missed this