Why is there a vinyl revival and why are people interested at all?

Why is there a vinyl revival and why are people interested at all?

Advantages of vinyl
>looks cool
>kinda nostalgic, maybe
>moar warm bass
Disadvantages
>more inconvenient compared to digital and CD
>expensive, not only for an LP but a turntable and good speakers/headphones along with costs of amps/DACs, fixing room acoustics
>physically degrades, bends, warps, gets scratched
>FLAC rips are taken from the CD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/a_5KjW2J_H8?t=1m3s
medium.com/@Xander51/audio-dictionary-warm-vs-neutral-vs-bright-and-the-role-your-brain-plays-in-all-this-2ec761759f7b#.vsjwq775u
youtu.be/oRSijEW_cDM?t=1m59s
diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/284561-hypothesis-why-some-prefer-vinyl-douglas-self.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>is

More like was

The vinyl revival started around 2005 and now in 2017 its passe. I sold most of my records because prices were getting so ridiculously expensive. 2012 is the dead last year to start before you're a blatant poseur.

That's so early 10s.
It's all about cassettes now.

t. time traveler from the 2020s

can someone define "warm" is and why people say records sound that way

But I still collect records user. Going to get into tapes too when I get a tape deck.

youtu.be/a_5KjW2J_H8?t=1m3s

>see cassette threads here

Better low end. Depending on who you ask, it's because of vinyl distortion or on purpose.

Cassettes is even more poseur.

Real niggers collect CDs and FLAC digitally.

medium.com/@Xander51/audio-dictionary-warm-vs-neutral-vs-bright-and-the-role-your-brain-plays-in-all-this-2ec761759f7b#.vsjwq775u

I don't turn on Loudness on my receiver if I'm playing vinyl. That's how I can be sure it has a warmer sound than other sources

This. I was big on collecting records 5 years ago and don't care about them now. At least I can always sell my records though and alot of them are pretty valuable so I don't regret it.

I probably spent $500+ on records, haven't bought any for the past 2 years and stopped caring about them now. I have a crate full of all the albums I wanted, some which are kinda rare.

Now I just get CDs for the stereo system and convert them to my iPod for when I'm driving. It's more convenient.

I just collect FLACs, CDs are clutter.

there has been a vinyl 'revival' going on since roughly 1992.

t. oldfag

Because it's fun

I got into vinyl around 2010, sad to say I fell for the meme and wasted hundreds of dollars. They're really just collector's items for fans of bands and artists. They offer nothing superior in terms of sound quality or a listening experience.

Honestly, dude, for me all pros and cons are pointless.
I just buy Vinyl because it's the most satisfying to collect, I want to support the aritst, but buying digital is stupid and donating doesn't actually grant me anything.
I don't actually listen to the vinyl, it's just the most satisfying means of support.

Can we all just thank GY!BE for selling records now for $14 CAN as opposed to other artists who sell for $20+

Isn't it a retail thing? Also some artists are based ass niggas and include CDs for free.

>It's all about cassettes now.
Not going to happen, it's already peaked or will peak in just a couple years. Vinyl has the benefit of always having been romanticized in pop culture; the size is also large so they're great for displaying the artwork. The look, the feel, the spinning record, quick "fast forwarding"... there is a LOT to appeal to normies there, and that's the reason vinyl has gotten so big again. Tapes on the other hand have always been thought of as shit aside from when they were the only option available. "Tapes are terrible" has been deeply ingrained in everyone's mind for decades, nothing will change this, and there is little style-wise to redeem them in the mind of normies either.

D I G I T A L C L I P P I N G
I
G
I
T
A
L

C
L
I
P
P
I
N
G

>free stuff
>complaining

this.

>go to a show
>go to merch stand
>want to support artist
>also want a neat souvenir
>t-shirt? who fuckin wears band shirts?
>a hat? nah can't pull it off
>a pin? yeah right
>poster? no room on walls
>CD? it feels like buying disposable trash
>record
>oh fuck yeah

It's large, it's durable, it has a physical presence that really gives you a very satisfying consumeristic high, and it's a cool little collector's culture.

I live pretty close to a historic record store, and it's always nice to just go in there and browse and pick things up and see other people browsing around with old records under the arms.

It makes me easy to buy gifts for, and my friends who collect are also easy to give gifts.

I would pay for professionally produced material. This is a song from Weezer's fourth album. Literally every copy on the internet is ripped from the same source and clips badly.

>using the 'loudness' button

Am i the only one who loves pins and patches you can get at shows? My rank is usually like ;

1. Pins and patches
2. Records and/or CDs
3. T-shirts

What point are you trying to make? Wouldn't the paid version of this album still be loudness war'd to death? A lot of modern CDs are like this.

Oh and i'd like to add that tour-shirts usually will overrule this ranking

>listening to any weezer material between Pinkerton and EWBAITE

I wouldn't torrent stuff so much if I could get decent quality. All the new digital shit is just as bad. Just de-clipped Aleph the other day.

youtu.be/oRSijEW_cDM?t=1m59s

I collect cassettes over CDs/records. I wish this was true because either most stuff doesn't get released on cassettes, or its a limited run.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were defending that.

I thought vinyl was a meme until I heard Lil Ugly Mane on a record. My fucking god it's awesome

Not really, in the mid 90s vinyl was at an all-time low. It had a very small almost negligible resurgence around that time thanks to the popularity of a few vinyl-friendly music genres like hip-hop and electronic music (trip hop, drum 'n' bass, downtempo...). Many record stores especially in small town didn't even star carrying vinyl records again until a decade later.

I just can't pull em off. You know, you have to have that kind of look to pull em off. You can't be like, brown slacks and a cardigan one day, then jacket covered in patches with the sleeves torn off and a trucker hat and some old converses the next.

So for a square like me a big ol' vinyl consumerism circle is just right.

There's a small vinyl revival every few years, but obviously the recent trend has been the biggest since CD's were first created.

I don't even care about Weezer, but some of the stuff is not even that bad, especially Green and Maladroit.
You could put together a nice album by picking the best tracks of the other 4 too.

Literally just hipsters, vinyl is outdated.

Sound difference is negligible, it's just record company shilling and hipsterdom.

Not a good mix!!!

>nice speakers or headphones are only useful for vinyl

Why'd you link Gaseffelstein?

My copy of El Camino came with the cd for it. I got given a Hozier record with one too. El Camino was 26 dollars for the LP, CD, and a poster.

>nvidia

Opinion discarded.

is it too late to get into collecting vinyl? i was thinking of starting, but i know the prices have been hiked up to crazy amounts since it became popular again.

WTF i have seen this pic a few times each year for several years and only know i noticed that there is a girl sitting in front of him

>novideo

That song clips pretty bad especially toward the end around 2 minutes. You notice it more on the digital flac release.

when I buy records, it's usually because I wanna have the artwork to look at and hold.

So amdfags exist? Literally the Great Value Brand of electronics.

There's a sense of adventure going into a charity/thrift store and potentially finding a great record. This is a sensation that cannot be replicated with digital media because everything is readily available.

People who buy records online or a new pressing from some trendy media store (HMV) are really missing out.

they're just fun to collect desu

It's a good thing that HMV is dying out right now (Canada stores all closed). Records are gonna get a lot cheaper in the next few years when mainstream snaps out of it.

>muh rotational velocidensity

>physically degrades, bends, warps, gets scratched

MP3 files degrade as well.

Yes but flac doesn't

i do it to attract hipster girls and support artists that i like, also looking through record shelves is kinda fun

Gonna do some fixing.

>Objective advantages of vinyl

>Best master of older music (pre-80's rock/pop, Jazz, etc) is often the LP verison.

>Shit load of music that isn't on CD/Torrent/Streaming.

>When well taken care of, is actually more durable than CD/Hard drive that holds music. PVC can last centuries, while you're lucky if a hard drive doesn't shit itself after 5 years. And no, you won't hear any sonic differences even after thousands of plays, provided you didn't play it on a Crosley.

>Disadvantages

>Clicks/pops. Even the cleanest setup will have very light surface noise. Usually inaudible on conventional music with a lower noise floor than tape hiss, but if you're a big classical fan, LP isn't the best format.

>>more inconvenient compared to digital and CD. Who cares though?

>>expensive, not only for an LP but a turntable and good speakers/headphones along with costs of amps/DACs, fixing room acoustics. A good "digital" setup is also expensive, and requires the same things as a good LP setup. Good speakers, good room, good components, good source material. Also, used LPs are dirt cheap if you know where to dig.

>>physically degrades, bends, warps, gets scratched. But shouldn't be a problem if you're careful.

>Subjective advantages.

>Better presentation (artwork, lyric sheets, etc)

>More fun.

>More euphonic. Forget about warmth, since "warmth" is typically the result of a record that's been played on subpar equipment, resulting in high frequency degradation, but in my experience, LPs have a wider, more 3 dimensional soundstage.

A theory as to why:

diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/284561-hypothesis-why-some-prefer-vinyl-douglas-self.html

Do you fucc those hipster girls or what?

I have a few vinyls. I enjoy going and finding something really good. I come from a background of listening to 70s motown, and seeking that stuff online can be challenging. It's pretentious, but finding a good jazz record in good condition is nice.

I still listen to my contemporary stuff on VO though. I'm not a fucking idiot.

>rotational velocidensity
Heh

Most people in the last 5-10 years do it because it makes them feel cool and they can brag about it like it's some achievement. I really need to get off my ass and sell most of my stuff while the market is still insanely high.

>The cost of good speakers, headphones, amp, dac and room acoustics as a disadvantage of vinyl specifically
>A specific disadvantage of vinyl

Pick one

It is in conjunction with turntables.

>>expensive, not only for an LP but a turntable and good speakers/headphones along with costs of amps/DACs, fixing room acoustics
the second part of that meme arrow applies to everything though

i collect vinyl because it feels good to have rare shit. disagree if you want i don't give a fuck. you can find music on a record that isn't on youtube, spotify, or anywhere else on the internet.

it's interesting to feel that presence of time immortalized on a record that didn't make it to the digital age.

>Physically degrades, bends, warps, gets scratched

As long as you're not playing your records heavily (and using low tracking force gear) all of things can be avoided with the proper care and storage.

Honestly one of the major advantages of vinyl is that it won't die on you sitting on the shelf like optical media can (disc rot) on rare occasion. Not being susceptible to oxygen is a pretty nice feature desu.

But you have to buy all of those things if you want good sound from digital, too. It's just not a disadvantage of vinyl

I'm sure your Swans and Death Grips is super rare.

Not him, but I somehow don't think Swans and Death Grips qualifies as "not found on the internet".

l2read

There's only 2 reasons to collect vinyl:

1) because listening to records with friends is a fun social activity
2) to support your favorite artists

all other reasons are bullshit. /thread

I only get stuff on vinyl that was never released on CD or digitally. I'm sure there's tons of stuff like this but doing it this way will probably keep down on having too much laying around and spending too much on them.

> always been into audio and hi-fi
> tried to get into vinyl about 10 - 15 years ago
> too little available for music I wanted and tables were either shit or too expensive
> can afford it now
> collecting now for couple years
It's a hobby, it's a new foray into hi-fi I haven't taken yet. And overall I like the sound of it.

no, never. but every time i get a little closer.

I get you, i get you.

I wear my jacket only like 2-3 times a month, i usually wear it to shows and record stores, i get that it's just not everyone's cup of tea. Already being a metalfag helps.

Vinyl is cool now because digital is not. Most people never even see the album cover of a new album- hell most people don't even bother listening to albums today, instead they stream a mix from multiple artists. Nothing wrong with it, hell I love spotify, but it's no longer a special experience.

With a vinyl record, you go digging through a dingy shop with chill people working the counter, it's a cool place. It's not walmart, where no one can really help you. It's not amazon, where you see a description, read 2 reviews and press buy. You get a bit dusty digging through crates, and you get surprised constantly because of the organized chaos in the shops. And those chill people working the counter? They are usually playing cool records from right off the shelf on the PA, and they enjoy the medium as much as you do. They will talk to you for 20 minutes about some obscure piece of music if you want. It's a form of customer service that is so rare today.

When you leave the store, you wipe down the record, and lower the tonearm down. the pops, crackles, and clicks make it more warm and real. Instead of just being in the background, like spotify, or X digital music, it becomes the center of what you are doing at the time. It makes you slow down and appreciate it more. Mix in the idea of vinyl now in pop culture, and it looks, and feels like a romanticized, cool way of experiencing music.

Retro will always be cool for some people, but unlike something like a vintage shirt, records are something you can collect and share with people around you. This isn't to say that digital music isnt great, it's an absolutely incredible piece of technology. But it's not the same as analog.

/thread

this is complete bullshit. digital files don't decay. and if they did, they'd just become corrupt and unreadable.

Do you know what a lossy format is?

More accurate to say there's degradation at recording, not implying over time.

Vinyl looks cool (12" artwork is like having a little poster of your favorite album, but with music inside) and sounds cool (on any system, but on certain setups, depending who you ask, it sounds better).

/thread

also when you buy a record you can open it up and read about the album. there are notes inside that talk about the artist, most of the time in a very articulate and advanced way.

i think when it comes down to it you get more out of a record than any other medium. digital accessibility can also dilute your music taste over time, just shoveling in what you think is good or what other people tell you is good into your computer. when do you stop and really appreciate the music? when do you actually appreciate the artwork? it's large on a record. you can see how much effort went into making a piece of music.

it's hard to say all this and not sound pretentious, but who cares. it's certainly not for everyone anymore.

To add on about the notes, I have a record over 50 years old, and inside it still has the original posters. Think about that for a second. They shipped them with posters, notes, lyrics, and the actual music. You get far more out of a record than a CD or a download.

I really wish this fad would die so I can go digging and actually find things worth digging for again.

Not all records do, just some. And you can get more info just googling the artist while listening to an MP3

Same. Pic related, I bought this at goodwill for $0.50 a while back. Now when I go in, you are lucky to find any B level music. Go to a record shop? "We price off of discogs," Go on craigslist?
>lot of record, DSOTM - $50

God damn it

Absolutely, but what do you get when you buy an MP3 that you can't get for free?

I don't think that's necessarily true. Without large chains like HMV and Walmart (ASDA here in the UK) continuing to produce vinyl records the market will desaturate and the prices of unique recording will begin to rise. The reason why common records like The Smiths (s/t) or Joy Division's debut are so cheap second hand is because they're perceived as valueless considering they're so mass-produced, which in-turn drives down the price of original pressings in the eyes of ignorant second-hand sellers.

If you have a large collection now and HMV stopped selling your collection would become exponentially more valuable because kids wouldn't have anywhere else to turn to buy records other than ebay/thrift/etc. Though in all likelihood if HMV stopped selling those kids would give up and the market would completely die. Thrift stores would no longer display vinyl, resellers on ebay will become increasingly rare, etc.

Basically HMV and other shitty places selling £25 copies of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is what's keeping this shit afloat.

desu the 70's and 80's editions of ITCOCK are not worth having. Either the UK original or the new remastered one.