Why did the buzzband generation of 2009-2012 die out so quickly?

Why did the buzzband generation of 2009-2012 die out so quickly?

Artists like Washed Out, Toro Y Moi, Cults, Sleigh Bells, Best Coast, Wu Lyf, Women, Grizzly Bear etc. all went into the dumpster before they ever established themselves as serious acts.

Was it just that the music wasn't that good? Or was it that the zeitgeist just moved on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kvTQ1ZhaSjo
youtube.com/watch?v=bpOSxM0rNPM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pitchfork_500
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzrzS1Ag_g
thefader.com/2015/10/08/hipster-runoff-ezra-koenig-carles-interview
youtube.com/watch?v=7fYnfE5Cycg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They came at the tail end of the indie pop explosion. Nobody really gives a shit about indie rock outside of the indie community anymore.

Why did Indie Rock die out so quickly?

The Indie explosion had been going consistently since like 2002. These artists were hyped out towards the very end. The reason why it died out? I guess people were just sick of it, like with rockabilly in the 50s and prog in the 70s.

Personally i see indie music hitting its peak around when arcade fire won the grammy.
Indie music hipster shit was actually part of pop culture, i pod commercials, car commercials, even movies were sort of really "quirky", much to the annoyance of everyone.
So you know, when something get popular there is a flood to sign any bozo, like Nirvana hits it big and that allows like screaming trees to get signed too.
Anyways, indie music is pretty worn out by now, it has no meaning, you arent indie if your music is in a fucking car commercial you plebe.

Like how many fucking shoegaze bands does there need to be?

TELL ME!?
Shoe gaze fucking sucks it all sounds the same.

Indie music needs like some sincerity, some passion, some hard shit

It was all just shitty pop music with an indie sheen but then that indie sheen became the mainstream so people stopped caring
Sleigh Bells is legit one of the worst bands of the 2000s

>Indie music hipster shit was actually part of pop culture, i pod commercials, car commercials, even movies were sort of really "quirky", much to the annoyance of everyone.

This is a good point desu, personified with this advert which did the rounds for months, think everyone got sick to the teeth of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=kvTQ1ZhaSjo

Yeah if you notice the indie sound has recently shifted towards synthpop revival and neo-adult contemporary. Chvrches and Mac DeMarco are probably the most relevant "indie" musicians at the moment. Bands like Tegan and Sara or Toro Y Moi, who have been able to shift to this sound are doing way better than guys like The Shin.

Anybody else sad that those times are over? It was literally the best time of my life. Just getting high all day and listening to music

nah, i think people are just tired of the effeminate, art nerd shit.
Society needs like some sort of big metal phase.

Christ, even rap has gotten all faggy and hipster. Pretending to be arteests.

America is very tribalistic place right now and needs to mosh out some rage.

I started using Sup Forums towards the end of that period as a morbidly depressed high school freshman. I'm glad those times are over because I feel like all the feels shitposting and sad indie schlock didn't help my condition.

Toro y Moi and Grizzly Bear are doing fine, my dude.

Yeah I agree. Even though I hate Meme Grips I wish their aggression had caught on in the greater hip-hop scene.

This is the timeline that i have come up with

2001- 2009 :Emo pop, garage revival, new wave revival, crunk, ringtone rap
2009- 2012: Indie hipster shit
2012- 2016- EDM, meme rap
2017 - ??????????

What music cultural will the trumpen Reich produce?

Only time will tell.

Indie died once every chorus went "WOWOH". I literally feel sick when ever I hear a chorus like that.

Country music and bro-core all around

They can't afford it?

They were fantastic times for music fandom on the internet, that was really the first time music was so stupidly easily accessible and covered in such detail.

It really felt like the time mattered too, releases felt significant. Maybe it's just cause I'm older but I can already see the 'here today, gone tomorrow' stuff a mile away. It doesn't bring the same excitement.

>Shields was 5 years ago

>The House that Heaven Built
>That one Fun. song

I'm struggling to think of others with chorus' like that

god I fucking despised that trend

Sad music can help you work through some bad stuff

DIDN'T FOR ME

>Sleigh Bells is legit one of the worst bands of the 2000s
Treats is 9/10, fuck off

lol no
Everyone thought music was dead in the 2000's and missed the 90's.
Indie music selling out to corporate greed was its final phase

Many of the members in Women are now in Viet Cong/ Preoccupations so idk man

Once the commercial music industry got hipsters to sympathize with them they started pushing mainstream pop music on them instead because it's so much easier to sell

>Everyone thought music was dead in the 2000's and missed the 90's.
On YouTube maybe. You had the 'REAL MUSIC, it's just hard to find' crowd that loved that scene and was actively part of it. Even though there was some throwback bands like Yuck which were just 90's imitations.

just open up a Britney Spears album in audacity and amplify it so much so that it clips like hell and you've got Treats. except Britney is a much better songwriter.

jewtube was invented in 2006 sunny, i still remember telling my faggot friend over Instant message about this cool new video site.

The whole le wrong generation culture didnt even exist.
People legitimately just missed the 90's, america was very emo after 9/11

That's not an accurate description of their sound at all and you know it's not

>2006

Poptamism was the embrace of mediocrity.
Music is stagnate, no, you arent being subversive by listening to top 40 music that everyone fucking listens to you hipster shit

>Like how many fucking shoegaze bands does there need to be?

Are you joking or do you just genuinely have a severely anti-music viewpoint?

>zeitgeist
I used this word like once or twice on Sup Forums in the last few months, did I start something?

I just kind of miss when I discovered new music from hipsters making fun of it online.

I miss you Carles

;^)

The "indie" music journalism scene has become just as corporate as mainstream music journalism. If you want honest reporting you're pretty much limited to small blogs, youtube channels and melon meme. I'm disappointed as shit that we're probably never going to get music journalism and good as the golden age of Rolling Stone.

Women doesn't even make sense to include here, they split up because the guy died.

TELL ME WHAT YEAR PINKERTON CAME OUT, PLEASE MISTER INDIE

tRUMP HERE, JUST WANTED TO SAY OF COURSE THESE BANDS WHOM YOU ARE FINDING FASCINATION IN YOUR ANGST THESE TWO YEARS POST UNDERGRAD
UATION AND NOW YOU SEEK THOSE BRIGHT OBAMA YEARS MUCH THE SAME AS US DADAS LONGED FOR THE NINTIES WHEN BUSH WAS AROUND AND HAVEN'T LOOKED AT THEIR FOLLOWUP WORK WHICH IS MEH TO SAY THE LEAST

also, cycles. also, stop recording me. It won;t work unless you've got the rest of me, user. shaka rula dev la

It all sounds the fucking same dude, just twee effeminate liberal white boys gazing at their shoes while someone left a vacuum plugged in in the corner.

Over and over again.

We need some high energy motherfuckers in here

I reckon it has something to do with Pitchfork moving to promoting more socially "progressive" artists and becoming more openly poptimist, so if you're not black, a woman, trans, gay, or making really catchy synth-whatever, you're kind of left in the lurch, unless you have a really really good product

This is not to say those artists are any worse than the ol' indie pop, it's just P4k being dumb—and P4k is undoubtedly the single most influential taste making publication in the world of music right now (unless you count Billboard, I guess)

Coming from someone who's helped book concerts for large college-type venues before, it's actually crazy what a BNM or two can do for an indie band's asking price and touring prospects. It's nowhere near as impactful as say, a chart-topping single, but it's still ridiculous.

>Or was it that the zeitgeist just moved on?
So yeah this really

>Why did the buzzband generation of 2009-2012 die out so quickly?
You're a decade late pal.

Also meant to reply to OP

>it feels like it was a couple years ago max

have i really been patrician that long?

This is the p4k system

Lil nigglet : 10 BNM, written by: jewy goldstein

Derivative indie hipster shit: 6.5, Written by : hobo they gave a sandwich to on the street corner

yeah ok sure whatever floats your boat

DUDE

meme rap happened

all the indie fans morphed into """rap""" """fans"""

i see a lot of people say this
i'm not saying it's wrong but can you point me to some examples? the only one i can think of is wake up by arcade fire. i think a lot of trends in indie up til like 2013 can be traced back to funeral, that being one of them.

This was a huge mistake I wish we could turn back.

Lil B/Odd Future went from a fun inside joke and morbid curiosity into a benchmark.

Nothing could compete with them on social media platforms.

THE "BAND" IS DEAD

ITS ALL JUST PRODUCER AND RAPPERS NOW

AAAHHHHH

this probably has a lot to do with it too
for better or for worse (who am i kidding, for worse) pitchfork has been the primary tastemaker of impressionable indie kids for like 15 years now. now pitchfork is trying to shift their audience to appeal to a wider group, so they abandoned indie because it was becoming unfashionable.
it really feels like now they put more emphasis on scoring based on who the artist is rather than the work they produce.

the last rap album that earned its score based on pure musicianship was MBDTF seven years ago

Car seat headrest is the leader of the indie revival, whether you like it or not.

Hey Will, whats up?

i agree

i'm listening to twin fantasy right now but fuck off will

not true btw
pic related proves you kids wrong
look at all those black artists dominate the charts owait..............

there has been a 80s or at least a synthpop revival going on since 2014

word, it was annyoing af

song of the year breakdown

Black Male (47)
1 - Kanye West; 4 - Frank Ocean; 10 - Rae Sremmurd; 11 - A Tribe Called Quest; 12 - Chance the Rapper; 13 - Frank Ocean; 14 - Kanye West; 15 - Blood Orange; 17 - Anderson .Paak; 25 - Frank Ocean; 26 - Danny Brown; 30 - Drake*; 31 - A Tribe Called Quest; 32 - Kanye West; 33 - D.R.A.M.; 34 - Chance the Rapper; 35 - Kevin Gates; 36 - Kendrick Lamar; 40 - Young Thug; 42 - French Montana; 43 - Joey Purp; 44 - Anderson .Paak; 47 - Chance the Rapper; 48 - Blood Orange; 52 - YG; 53 - Kaytranada; 54 - dvsn; 55 - Gucci Mane; 56 - Desiigner; 58 - Young Thug; 60 - Maxwell; 61 - Sampha; 62 - Drake*; 67 - Young M.A.; 69 - Vince Staples; 71 - Isaiah Rashad; 72 - Moses Sumney; 73 - Schoolboy Q; 75 - Travis Scott; 76 - Ka; 77 - Skepta; 78 - serpentwithfeet; 79 - Mr. Fingers; 91 - 21 Savage / Metro Boomin; 93 - Danny Brown; 96 - Kodak Black; 98 - Moor Mother

Black Female (13)
2 - Beyonce; 3 - Solange; 7 - Rihanna; 21 - Solange; 28 - Beyoncé; 37 - Noname; 41 - Beyoncé; 57 - Jamila Woods; 66 - KING; 68 - Nao; 87 - Alicia Keys*; 88 - Rihanna; 95 - Kamaiyah

White Male (23)
5 - David Bowie; 9 - Radiohead; 18 - Bon Iver; 19 - Leonard Cohen; 20 - Car Seat Headrest; 23 - David Bowie; 24 - Radiohead; 27 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds; 29 - Bon Iver; 45 - Kevin Morby; 46 - Hamilton Leithauser/Rostam**; 49 - Aphex Twin; 50 - Parquet Courts; 59 - Whitney; 63 - Cass McCombs; 64 - Porches; 74 - The 1975; 81 - Deakin; 83 - Huerco S.; 90 - Pinegrove; 92 - Sheer Mag; 99 - Sturgill Simpson; 100 - Lil Peep

White Female (12)
8 - Angel Olsen; 22 - Jenny Hval; 38 - Weyes Blood; 39 - Jessy Lanza; 65 - Savages; 70 - Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith; 80 - PJ Harvey; 85 - Angel Olsen; 86 - Bat for Lashes*; 89 - Frankie Cosmos; 94 - Cate Le Bon; 97 - Olga Bell

Hispanic Female (2)
51 - Esperanza Spalding; 82 - Ariana Grande

Trans (2)
6 - ANOHNI; 84 - G.L.O.S.S.

Asian Female (1)
16 - Mitski

* - Mixed
** - ROSTAM is Iranian

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS

thats nice but we are discussing albums
and guess what its MOSTLY WHITE

Well this is just because hiphop and R&B has taken over such a large part of pop music these recent years and those genres are still racially dominated by blacks. What's popular culture is obviously going to be getting a lot more attention.

we are discussing why indie has come out of the spotlight and unpopular with pitchfork, songs are just as relevant as albums

>songs are just as relevant as albums
lol no not once on this board ppl have discussions about fucking "songs"
indie isn't out of the spotlight majority of girls at my college still listen to fucking chillwave like they just discovered it yetersday

Lol the first article by carles I ever read was him declaring foster the People as death cabs successors as "king's of indie"

What a time to be Alive

also maybe if you forgot
but AM had a hit song that currently has 400M views on youtube youtube.com/watch?v=bpOSxM0rNPM

>random girls at my school are representative of the whole of contemporary Western music culture

seethats 400m ppl listening to a "indie rock" song
whats your excuse now?

is it your first day here or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>lol no not once on this board ppl have discussions about fucking "songs"
what does this mean? we don't talk about songs?
it's great if your anecdotal evidence of indie still being popular with college girls is true, too bad they don't have any pull or influence on other people's taste.
also
>arctic monkeys
>indie

The thing about mu is that we live in a bubble, everyone keeps saying rock is dead, rap is king, edm are fucking faggots.
But then you leave the bubble and you find out a lot of plebes still like arctic monkeys and voted for trump

>2012
Tell me, what year did the whole transgender cis white male blm PC thing Occupy thing blow up and things started getting REALLY fucked politically?

There's your answer

I mean, whenever considering an album's score on p4k, just remember p4k is factoring in how much social capital this score gives them

Not trying to be too disparaging to p4k here, just know publication biases

I disagree, p4k gives lots of great rap music appropriate scores

Just check out P4k's old best songs of the 80s lists vs. the 80s list currently on their website
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pitchfork_500
they're markedly more poptimist and progressive, no two ways about it

I bet when they re-release their 90s list and 2000s list they'll both be more poptimized

> too bad they don't have any pull or influence on other people's taste.
okay what about this then youtube.com/watch?v=sBzrzS1Ag_g

Grizzly Bear wasn't really a part of that wave. Their buzz started much earlier. They were already 8.7 BNM'd by 2006.

what about it?

cis white male? since 2013 or so
trans? for a long ass while but more since 2014
hardcore BLM? 2015-2016

p4k rap shilling was since 2012, but moreso since conde nast bought htem

are you saying nobody listens to tame impala also?

>forgetting about Mac Demarco
>the guy that millennials fucking dress like and import shitty cigarettes from Canada because of his song

He's pretty big, a step above the buzz bands but not really "mainstream". Probably the best popular rock has to offer right now though.

they do, but 30m views isn't even close to comparable to 400m. their most viewed song on youtube has almost 50m, which is still not comparable. what are you trying to get at here?

Google the term indie landfill.

>meme rap
If that was the case peaches would have buried rock in 1998 not odd future.

Not the same thing.

thefader.com/2015/10/08/hipster-runoff-ezra-koenig-carles-interview

It killed the whole genre. Actually I'd argue arcade fire closed off indie as a popular genre with the suburbs in 2011.

>it will never be 2010 again

youtube.com/watch?v=7fYnfE5Cycg

Whenever 90% of indie just became that sanitized feel good commercial ukelele quirky girl bullshit (you know what I mean) is what killed it.

The obama years were garbage culturally, but the left didnt go full insane till like his second term.
Literally every single piece of media is now filled with overt identity politics or sjw's trying to control how people act and what they say.

Well, it all resulted in a reaction of trump getting elected.

Good one libtards.

all the punks went to psychobilly and bluegrass

or maybe the elites are using that to distract you from all the money they are stealing from us
but yes keep falling for the libtard and cuckserative meme

>or maybe the elites are using that to distract you from all the money they are stealing from us
>we should be raising taxes for a bigger government though

rlly makes u think

rlly does

lol, obama was the elites, he was the lefts cool black friend, they just conveniently ignored him bailing out bankers and drone striking children and civilians cause he was le cool pop culture nigger president.
The rise of the sjw gave the reaction of the alt right.
The obama years were a stagnate swamp of corporate EDM, meme rap, and super hero movie remakes, a p4k that sucks anyone if they are nigger tranny otherkin lesbian latinx furry

And what have we gained from the past years?
Every form of media now overtly politicized to hyper extremes.
Tribalism.
A wwe hall of famer as president.

Thanks obongo

latinx hijinx

>mfw its true

Edge of Glory - user

miss me yet?

100% right

>The obama years were a stagnate swamp of corporate EDM, meme rap, and super hero movie remakes
It hurts because it's true.