Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo...

Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

I felt like I was the only one that was truly livid that two classic Verhoeven movies were being tainted with boorishly CGI driven imitators, and still haven't seen either out of protest.

Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop despite it lacking any good satire (A parody of Fox News and Bill O'Reilly? Oh my god this has never been done before!) and a fun but at the same time, plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)

So truly, why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate? Why the backlash against reboots now?

Total Recall didn't have Mars
>dropped
Robocop was given a new suit
>dropped

No one had been asking for sequels to either of those for years. No one involved with those movies tried to shame people into liking them.

Ghostbusters was a truly beloved franchise compared to those two, and it was because of the chemistry between them and their likeability.

Those movies weren't offensively bad or annoying, just bland.

Rebootcop sucked. Nothing happens in the movie, he spends most of his time in that fucking chair. Fuck that movie.

bestpost second post?

same with the reboots. ;)

Robocop was decent

>give him black tacticool because test audiences or whatever
>at the end he gets his grey body back

The hype trains for both of those were pretty much non-existent. Us fans of the originals were able to put them out of sight, out of mind and the public largely forgot about them shortly after their release and are barely remembered now.

Total Recall was fucking terrible.
It wasn't enjoyable since Colin Farrell was just there. AUSTRALIA instead of Mars and ASIANS, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK instead of mutants. No Ancient alien subplot too.

fans wanted ghostbusters 3 for 20 years. the cast teased them with promises of a finished script , stories of it about to be shot and a video game that was suppose to lead into the next movie.

no one expected one of the guys to die and the property to be remade into a feminist talking point.

robocop was what ever. that property had already went down hill. the original had like, 5 movies, 2 of which went straight to dvd that alot of people didnt even know came out. but if robocop was replaced by a fat woman robot , id have spoken up

There was plenty of hate for the Robocop reboot. The general reaction was "eh, that looks dumb and needless."
The Total Recall wasn't strictly a remake as it was billed as closer to the original short story but again the reaction wasn't so much hate as it was a sense of "who cares?"
The Ghostbusters remake gets hate because it's a butchering reboot/reimagining of a beloved movie with a very obvious agenda being pushed for no real reason. Normies don't like having an agenda shoved in their face and the box office total will display that.
The biggest difference in the publicity towards the hate between the three films is that Sony is actively pushing a campaign decrying anyone who thinks the trailers were shitty as sexist - they know that controversy is great promotion and they've capitalized on this kind of thing before (the franco/rogen killing the korean dude film).
The fact that we're talking about it means their strategy worked - however in terms of actual revenue it remains to be seen. I'm fairly confident that trending on twitter doesn't outright equal anything outside of a large opening weekend and tumblr is definitely NOT the demographic you should be courting if you want to make real money.

Why would you think the original RoboCop suit was integral?
Even the film makers didn't like it. They were still working on the suit but had to start filming with an earlier version. Peter Weller had to change how he moved, Paul Verhoven had to slowly introduce it thru tiny glimpses and frosted glass so that people could get used to it and not just burst out laughing.

I personally like it but I was a child when I saw the film.

Total Recall reboot, despite being completely unneeded, wasn't that bat. It had some solid visuals and action but PG-13 was a mistake. 5/10

Robocop reboot fucking sucked. It squandered the talents of Gary Oldman AND Michael Keaton. A fucking waste of a movie that completely missed the point of Robocop. 2/10 I liked the motorcycle.

Audiences didn't like those either, they made decent money because enough people were interested in them to avoid a total disaster.

Ghostbusters wasn't content to just be mediocre though, Ghostbusters went on the offensive and told everyone they were bad people if they didn't like it, and that just pissed everyone off.

>plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)
Why is this a flaw?
You don't think the original's satire was plausible?
It came fucking true!!!

>a much more popular film is getting a bigger backlash to an unnecessary remake than other films

quit asking stupid questions and those films did have a backlash to them, although they weren't nearly as big

The marketing and PR for Ghostbusters is the worst I've seen since DmC: Devil May Cry.

Fuck You
u
c
k

>No one involved with those movies tried to shame people into liking them
This.

>if you hated the trailers you're a Trump supporter!

>might vote for trump
>thinking of seeing this because Michael McDonald is in it

probably won't thought

Oh it's going to be rough.

This is going to be the Hindenburg, Titanic, Unit 731 and the Holocaust all wrapped into an eclair and served to someone who's lactose intolerant.

Yes it is the worst, doesnt get worse than spike lee

Is the fact that you remade this thread supposed to be symbolic of something or just a classic case of pottery?

>spree killer comes to the movie to go on a shooting spree
>gets into the theater and nobody is there
>fallout boy ghostbusters theme starts playing
>gunman sighs and puts the pistol in his own mouth
>"that slime got everywhere!
>he pulls the trigger

MTE.

That came after people complained about the female cast. had they not int he first place you would not have gotten those silly clickbait articles saying that.

I remember people shitting on those movies, but there also wasn't enormous anticipation of a Total Recall sequel before they gave up and remade it.

You're overestimating the reach of the original Robocop and Total Recall, both hard R movies. Ghostbusters was much more popular with kids and the general audience.

If this movie doesn't bomb might we see a new trend in gender flipped remakes?

I mean comics have been peddling female ' reimagining' of their characters for years. It's probably the easiest way to do something different different without having to be original.

Everyone hated both of them, but there was no political statement to be made by arguing about it so they faded quickly from the public consciousness.

Robocop reboot is so bad bros, I could hardly believe it
It looks like a tv show

I liked the new Total Recall. I liked the old one when I was a kid, but I tried to watch again after watching the new one and just couldn't fucking do it. I also like Collin Farrel as an actor.

I like the nu-robocop suit BUT THE EXPOSED HAND IS SO FUCKING STUPID AND POINTLESS and they had to go out of their way to justify it in the trailers like what the fuck

I never watched the movie.

The exposed hand actually signifies the biggest difference between the remake and the original.

In the remake it's public knowledge Robocop is Alex Murphy, unlike in the original, which is a massive difference for the character and story.

In the original explicitly mentioned they save his hand but was pressured by corporate to go full prosthetics. They want to keep it hidden there's a man under there.

In the remake it's the other way round. They want the public to see him as a Alex Murphy hero cop and not a soulless robot tool of law enforcement.

In one he's a machine finding his humanity. In the other he is a man slowly losing it.

I'm not Saying it work or was even a good idea but that's what they were going for.