Can we talk about this?

Can we talk about this?

I didn't understand tarkovskys use of color in some scenes

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/list/ranking-andrei-tarkovsky/
imdb.com/title/tt4102304/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What scenes? And what's not to understand?

oragne seems to be incredibly prominent in the film, yet I never quite got what he was aiming for with it.

Also, was the creature in the ocean benign and wanted to help them overcome their grief? or did it try to torment them? did it matter?

>did it matter
No to both of your questions. Tarkovsky has admitted himself that he doesn't try to convey a definite meaning with contrivances like use of color, symbolism behind those colors or the imagery itself. Even the specific details of the plot or the world like your question about the ocean.

oh, then why does he insert floating imagery into a lot of his films?

/film/ when?

Motifs and imagery like floating women, spilled milk, white feathers, water and so on have a certain meaning to him since almost all of his films have a deeply personal touch to them. What do they mean? Who knows and who cares, really. What matters is what is means to us individually.

Never

This is my first Tarkovsky film, is this his apex or is it something else? Watching Andrei Rublev next

I think Stalker is his best (even though people here claim it's bad because it's the most popular).
Everything he directed is God-tier. I like Stalker for the beautiful sets and cinematography.

Did you not read the fucking book? Utter plebian.

why do you pretend like you're educated

Guy you were taking to here, my favorite is Nostalghia but the Mirror is objectively his best.
I'd say Solaris is his second worst film but that doesn't mean they're bad. In fact they're still 9 or 10/10 but his other films are just that much better that they're considered the weakest of his films.

My ranking of his films: letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/list/ranking-andrei-tarkovsky/

don't worry, you've still got the Mirror to look forward to also.

Andrei Rublev was amazing and ivans childhood is seriously underrated.

Also its worth noting the man himself was disappointed with Solaris, he felt it was too much of a genre film.

thanks for the input and for keeping the one thread talking about a movie on Sup Forums alive

Honestly really glad to see films like this discussed on here, makes a change from awful superhero and cgi action fests being discussed.

I haven't seen Solaris but Andrei Rublev is a great film. Very vulgar, horrendous and yet picturesque.

Make sure you're watching the 3 and a half hour version of Rublev, theres a 3 hours version floating around.

We always have at most one good actual film discussion thread every month. It almost always pertains to Tarkovsky oddly enough.

Kubrick ripped off this movie

Color film stock wasn't readily available in USSR so he had to use b&w in many scenes.
You'd think there was a deeper meaning behind those scenes but that's it. He was just an impatient hack in a shitty country that couldn't even provide color film stock to their best film director.

This is reminding me, that solaris is the one thing by him I haven't RE-WATCHED and I'm sure my rating will go up even higher when I do.

As far as I recall Solaris was one of the things he made as an attack on American scifi films he thought were shallow.

the three hour cut is on hulu

Yes yes well done Kelvin well done Kelvin
HOWEVER

Some of the animal violence had to be cut out, thats why theres two versions.

The three hour cut was endorsed by Tarkovsky as being the definitive version, not the three hours and thirty minute.

Don't listen to this retard
Tarkovsky himself said the 3 hour cut is his version

The first few minutes of Solaris where Kelvin walksaround in nature is pure magic. I constantly find myself rewatching it

I actually wasn't aware he stated that, nice to know. I was genuinely actually trying to be helpful recommending the 3 1/2 hour version.
Wasn't actually actively trying to act like a retard sorry.

>when we meets his dad on the island at the end

wasn't prepared for that at all

And because I thought that user might have felt he was missing out if he didn't watch or know there was 3 1/2 version or felt he wasn't seeing the WHOLE film.

>tfw I don't have any Rublev webms
Can anyone remedy that?

Okay NOW I'm on team recommend the 3 hour version of Rublev then.

The conversation with his mother tore me apart.

Who's that actor playing Solonitsyn. He looks almost exactly like him here.

He doesn't look as big as him though

I'm sure they're the same height. It's Tarkovsky that's the manlet, unfortunately.

imdb.com/title/tt4102304/

love tars

Thanks