How many of you anti social basement dwellers actually live on your own without a roomy. parents...

How many of you anti social basement dwellers actually live on your own without a roomy. parents, or someone taking care of you? I ask because I live alone, have for years, leave the house once a week for groceries, and have lived in relative solitude for most of my adult life. Yes, I have mental disorders but with my current lifestyle and daily routine, things are pretty OK for me. Anyone else live this way? Do you like it or wish for me? I personally like it.

Other urls found in this thread:

talkpoverty.org/2014/08/11/no-safe-place/
amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452417
lindehc.com/mental-health-spending-higher-all-other-health-conditions/
madinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/The-Case-Against-Antipsychotics.pdf
madinamerica.com/2016/10/case-neuroleptics-reducing-recovery-80-5/
madinamerica.com/2016/09/confessions-of-a-trespasser/
mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd love living like that. Of course, I'd still need to go to work.

Live with my mute girlfriend so it sort of feels like living alone sometimes. She scares the shit out of me when I'm not expecting her to be there though.

I do. 700 sq foot house in fuckall kansas. Its cheap enough to afford on NEETbux.

>mute girlfriend

Where do you get your money? I was psych drugged as a kid for behavioral reasons, child psychiatry is a crime against humanity, covering up child abuse routinely.

Anyway, developed tardive dyskinesia, altho they don't give SSI for that, I had to game the system but got on SSI anyway.

It is no where NEAR enough to live off of. Not even close. The closest I've come to getting out of the house of the parents who abused me was a subsidized apartment in the ghetto but I would had needed to take depot/time released injections of the same neuroleptic drugs that fucked me up to begin with.

living alone is nice. Nobody tells you what to do. You do whatever you want and nobody can tell you not to. you wanna walk around the house naked? you wanna eat chicken while taking a shit? you wanna fap in the kitchen? you can do all of that and nobody will tell you to do anything.

I've only started living by myself - I'm 18 btw

Pension and SS. I was lucky to land a job that had a pension in my early 20s, MH issues surfaced, and was granted a disability pension because of that. The combination of the two is enough for me to live in a nice apartment and never go out.

WTF I thought people had to work at places for 20 years at least to get a pension from those types of jobs that had them?

What was the job? And do you have any idea how rare you are? I communicate a lot within the "psychiatric survivor" community, and have never once met somebody living independently off SSI (out of hundreds of people) ... Yet medicaid will pay the drug-pushers 160k a year and spend 3,000 dollars a month on a depot injection... just to kick people out to the streets or send them to a halfway house, or worse.

The biggest problem are 1) The $2,000 resource limit, so nobody can save money to buy properties even if they manage to find a place to live free for a year or two and 2) States that require landlords to only rent to people who can prove they have an income that is 3x the rent.

And of course once the social workers get involved with subsidized arrangements, forced drugging and coercion go hand-in-hand, as they are basically in bed with Big Pharma.

Federal jobs require you to work 2 years before you are entitled to all their benefits including a disability pension. I'm rather old now so things much have changed since I was in my 20s. I didn't realize I was rare. Where I grew up most everyone lived off the state / gov by just having babies and selling drugs on the streets.

I take Seroquel and Setraline and neither was ever forced upon me. I need an anti psychotic though and the one I currently take (Setraline) helps with a rare migraine disorder that I have. The condition if left untreated is so bad I've lost consciousness before because of it.

I live by myself. Kids are grown. Can't stand most of the women I meet in this shit hole town. I work 45hrs a week as mid level mgmt. Great family, good friends.

Of course, the psychiatry system is designed to trap people in it for life.

It's the reason why cities like mine have laws against feeding or giving money to the homeless, because many of them are evading "services" that would get them off the street because those services come with being made into a cash cow for psychiatrists and pharma.

under SSDI you can have over 2k in savings.

SSDI and SSI are two completely different things. SSDI is disability insurance. SSI was created for children with developmental disabilities, mainly down syndrome and old school autism, but later extended to "schizophrenics" and "bipolars"

I know, I collect SSDI.

this. People on SSI are expected to be dependent on others. If they could live independently, even with money, then they're not ill enough that they're supposed to be on SSI to begin with.

Group homes and subsidized housing or you have to find a way to game the system / become a drug dealer

Basically welfare for people who've never worked before or at least not long enough to get anything off SSDI.

moved out of home and into college accommodation when I was 17, moved into a sharehouse with my sister when I was 18, moved out with a girflriend when I was 24
30 and have my own home

I'd probably have stayed living with parents but they were 2 hours away from where the college is. could have bought my house at 25 if I hadn't been paying rent

I have the reverse - I live with my elderly parent as they're unable to take care of themselves any more - I also have a kid who I have custody of 50% of the time. When either of them are awake/about then I live a normal life - when they're asleep or elsewhere, my time is spent taking a hoard of pharmaceuticals (not mine) and street drugs to ytry and maintain.

Both lives are shitty, but they kind of cancel each other out a lot of the time to... nothing.

Waiting for parent to pass away peacefully and kid to grow up so I can get on with the arduous task of being high as fuck all day every day until death.

You are insane.
Nothing you can possess will give you meaning in life.
You're playing with gravel at the side of the highway of life.
Grow the fuck up!

>Waiting for psych to tell me if I'm incompetent or not
>Meet last week, she thinks I've got the cognitive functionality to live without assistance
>Everyone is insisting I need it
>mfw don't even care anymore
I've found minimal interaction with other people is more effective in keeping myself out of trouble. Moderate aspergers/depression and when the depression hits, it hits hard. I've been getting better with day-to-day since I became reliant on other to support me in the past (an issue rectified by my mother's death and other things) and did little for myself. At this point, I'm tempted to drink a jug of bleach.

talkpoverty.org/2014/08/11/no-safe-place/

Every time psychiatry and pharma look for more cash cows, this is one of the ways they do it (besides prison inmates and foster children)

They set up services in an area, the homeless people reject them because of what they entail, and then all the sudden there's a crackdown.

amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452417

And of course the # of people on SSI for "mental disorders" has tripled from 1987 to 2008. I follow the madinamerica website and it's updates, it has beyond quadrupled now and medicaid is spending over 200 billion a year.

It's a racket. Nobody would choose to live on SSI as a mental patient. It's, quite obviously, worse than being homeless.

lindehc.com/mental-health-spending-higher-all-other-health-conditions/

This
Also pissing in sinks. I like it. I also do it when I'm at other peoples houses always.

"You are insane."
By societies standards yes, yes I am and have been diagnosed so. It's no big deal to me
"Nothing you can possess will give you meaning in life"
It's never really been a concern to me at all, but it is very apparent it is something you struggle with.
"You're playing with gravel at the side of the highway of life. Grow the fuck up!"
You are a really angry person, I'm curious as to why.

This is a thread about living alone, not self pitying, pathetically childish, irresponsible dipshits.
I'm mentally ill but I take my medicines, they have their downsides but they are better than insanity. I function, I work and I enjoy my life.
Man the fuck up and shut the fuck up.

I agree, it is about living alone as I created it. I really don't understand this argument since you raged against the original post, I replied in a rather melodramatic way, and then you reply once again all angsty. So is your point to, "to man the fuck up and shut the fuck up" in a post about living alone where you attacked OP for living alone and then went on to inform us about how you handle things? I really don't understand where you are coming from.

That's my first post asshole, furthermore it's aimed it at anyone crying about their mental health issues in what was a potentially fun thread.

So you are just adding to the demise of what was a fun thread. I understand now.

madinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/The-Case-Against-Antipsychotics.pdf

madinamerica.com/2016/10/case-neuroleptics-reducing-recovery-80-5/

I can only feel sorry for you because you are so terribly uninformed, but for whatever problems you had originally, the only reason the drugs "help" you know is because your brain made compensatory adaptations to them and tapering off can take months while going off abruptly leaves such adaptations unopposed.

Psychiatry to this date still has no valid, scientifically honest evidence base for it's drugs;

madinamerica.com/2016/09/confessions-of-a-trespasser/

Either read that shit, or go sit at the kiddie table.

Do you have a cat?

I have lived exactly like that for the past 3 years..before, I left the house for classes.
Now it's just groceries every fortnight and therapy every week.
I don't mind at all.

Pretty much.
Cry me a river you self diagnosed tumblr queen.

2 actually!

How do you get money if you don't work?

Pension and SSDI

I dont understand how a person that is a basement dwelling sociophobe could support themselves unless they did something really out of the ordinary like taught themselves programming and do stuff from home only or something.

I get government aid for going to school, figured out i can do all the courses online.

>Sitting in 2 room apartment
>get homework sent over the internet
>homework takes around 10 hours a week
>planning to get diagnosis then retiring early for neet life.

>Worked for a few years in my 20s at a job that has a pension
>In 20s schizophrenia surfaces
>Put on disability pension and SSDI
>Current situation with medication

Yes. I've had my own apartment since i was 19. Am 25 now.

I leave my house to buy grocery and pick a food hamper once or twice a week, see a councilor or doctpr once every week or two. Other then that i stay home and play oldschool runescape and watch anime.

you could rape her and no one would heat

so how do you afford it if you don't work.

Live on my own, but got cancer so I went back to my mom so she could take care of me during the chemo.
After the chemo, I'm going back and live on my NEETbucks.

Im on medical benefits for severe depression and social anxiety, i was pretty fucked a few months ago before i got help, at the rate im going I should be able to get back out and working soon assuming i can find something low stress or perhaps a change in medication for the odd time i shut down.

Neet life isnt all its cracked up to be.

I live on a scoholarship for my masters degree, work on the side writing about music and going to report on concerts and festivals. I dont make tons of money, but my gf of 12 years works too and has just opened an art gallery, so we do fine. Live in a cool part of town, i go out a lot and know lots of interesting people who i talk mostly about philosophy. Get high on grade A weed and cocaine constantly. Aaaaand i was actually diagnosed with autism. The secret is to dont be a pussy.

What's so bad? I'd kill to be a NEET.

>to dont

Maybe not for everyone, but after almost a year i miss how i use to be and what i use to do. I enjoy myself thats not the problem, its just this longing to be able to work and socialize that im feeling recently. I assume thay means im getting better or the meds are working.

Not him, but it gets boring after a while. Especially if you dont have an interest in gaming or anime.

Normie here, I sold my company and took a year to stay home, play wow and other games and do a bit of travel. Financially I was fine and I loved the first 6 months or so. Even met my amazing wife who I would catch up with on the weekends. But during the rest of the week I'd sit in a dark room on my own.

Started going a bit strange after several months and after 6 I felt really fucking weird just leaving the house to go to the shops. Decided it was time to call it quits and went back to work.

Sitting at home all day alone can't be good for your mental health.

I'm very similar, except I've been married for 3 years now. Fortunately, my wife is also antisocial.

Moved out at 22 after finishing college now live in the Caribbean alone working a a construction diver.

Studies have shown that people with mental disorders adapt much easier to life with no social contact. Congrats, you are a normie!

any canadians here on disability? how do you do it? i'm temporarily off work, but i'm going to have to go back. i suffer from panic disorder, performance anxiety, social anxiety, gad, add and adhd. i leave the house once a month. i cannot function at work because of my panic attacks and anixeties. i feel everytime i go to the docs or therapists they think im lying. im getting tired of lving like this. prozac isnt helping, and i swear my boners feel rubbery.

I went to alberta works and applied for benefits, got accepted right away for similar reasonings as you, might help if you can see a doctor for a proper diagnosis and referral for benefits, even if its just at a free clinic.

How do you earn money for living?

Not Op, but most of us get neetbux/ medical benefits for depression, anxiety, and sometimes more uncommon mental problems.

Id almost recommend going to a free clinic, at least the one here in calgary isnt government funded so they treat you to help you not move ypu along like a number.

Dafuq? I have a wife, kids, a career, a church, and hobbies. I live the American dream. Why are so many of you afraid of it?

mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/
so this would be the one for me? would you recommend me applying soon or should i wait to see if i get CPP first (my work insurance made me apply), then apply? should i tell my doctor about this? should i see some therapists firsts? i already have all these disorders on paper.
sorry for all the stupid questions. my mom literally does everything for me when it comes to shit like this, so i have no idea how the real world works.

how do i find a non government doctors office in toronto?

Why do you characterize it as afraid?

How do you support yourself without working?

I only know what i went through, and if cpp is anyyhing like EI,it could take a long time to come into effect as i find most government assisyance programs would rather have you on the brink of homelessness before paying out, i know with alberta works that if a secondary spurce of income through another program comes in to effect then AW reduces payments/ stops while ei/insurance takes over, so getting medical benefits/ welfare, shpuld i assume come in to effect and get you by rent wise and keep you homed before insurance does.

Not quite sure how to assist you there. Google may help but also just paying a visit to one close by and seeing how they treat you maybe best. Personally for me all the services ive used where money is not on the table have been vastly better then doctors/ councilors that have money/insurace on the mind 24/7, just the subtle difference in mindset, one wants to help people other wanta to get paid.

I'm 40 years old and currently live alone, except on the twice monthly occasion that my gf spends the weekend. I haven't always lived alone. I was married once for many years and in the past 4 years since I really enjoy the solitude. I'm on a pension from the VA. 100% service connected disability from developing a heart condition while on active duty, which pays me around 32K/year, which is not quite enough money to support the lifestyle I want so I have a job that pays around 60K/year. The gf thing is at this point in my life a highly overrated experience. My relationships rarely last for a year due to my desire to continue living alone. I'm currently entertaining the idea of moving in with my gf next year, only bc she's been the first chick since I got divorced who actually has a job that pays her enough that she's not constantly strapped for cash. So the idea of splitting the rent, while appealing, make sense from an economical standpoint. Women will always try to domesticate a guy. But I'm working on a year with this chick so I'm starting to feel the itch to move on but I'm also wanting to save $700/month by splitting the rent, like having a roommate who will occasionally force me to clean and wear nice cloths, but also provide me with sex anytime I want. So I've been quite conflicted lately. I want to continue living alone and enjoying the freedom of doing as I please, but I also want companionship so sooner or later the natural evolution of being in a relationship will force me to cohabitate.

I would not say I'm afraid so much as indifferent. I would prefer to be left alone.

so if all they care about is shelling out prescriptions, then its a government funded office?

canadafag here - been on EI for over a year now (left job, boss was a moron, EI & HRDC sided with me for my claim even though i quit). It's ok, my expenses are low anyways:
$800/month for rent w/ heat/hot water & fiber wifi included, a $60/month power bill, with the rest going to groceries and my pet food (Lab mix and cat). i get less than $1200 a month, but it's not bad. Developed an issue with my left arm where im going to be going to the doc soon for an assessment, with all signs pointing towards surgery on my left shoulder and possibly the upper arm as well, so i will have to switch to Medical Income Support instead (you can't claim EI here if you are incapable of working, which the surgery will render me as). I do have a GF who does not live with me (has her own place under a block away), and she doesn't mooch off of me, thankfully. It's tough sometimes, but i've still gone on two road trips this year and built a budget used parts PC. I have two trade qualifications, but no one is hiring in the wake of the drop in oil prices & the jobs related to oil.

the worst shit is, is that i have a good paying job but im terrified to go into it because of all these disorders, and everyone there (sups and employees) are all out to take advantage and screw eachother over, all while operating heavy machinery, i've also stocked shelves and sold stuff, and the symptoms are just as bad. do i live with my anxiety and work a scary job cause it pays well? or do i take a shitty job that pays way less only to still suffer from the same symptoms but maybe not operating dangerous machinery? or do i try to remain off?

Presciptions are not necessarily a bad thing, it more about the help they want to provide, and willingness behind it. Where i go they are very eager to suggest programs and benefits so i dont have to pay for medications and they usually like to keep my following up regularly despite them not getting paid per visit etc. Unfortunately i only know what applies to me and my situation. So i dont really know how to assist you. What i assume though is upon visiting someone you shpuld be able to get a feeling about them and perhaps the type of care the are qilling to provide. I was a visible wreck with no strength left to fake, so i may have been an obvious and easy to deal with case. Id just suggest be real and open. A good doctor isnt going to judge and sneer at you. People have problems and some need help, there is no shame in that. Tell them how you really are feeling and how hard certain day to day aspects of life are for you. I use to lie in bed in the dark contemplating suicide and looking up how to, now i enjoy doing somethings and have managed to get some normalcy back in life.

Look in to medication, like i recommended to another user is look for a free clinic, can probabley see a doctor and councillor without the worry of insurance, and perhaps see if ypu can get a script, they have types you take as soon as you feel panic/ anxiety rising.

thank you for your help, i greatly appreciate it.
i think the reason(s) i feel they wont believe me is because i feel like shit everywhere i go because of said disorders, but when that specific situation is over, i forget about it and when im at the docs i cant remember why i dont feel good and hate life. oddly enough, i feel this is either performance anxiety related, or panic related because i literally draw a blank as if i were completely fine, but im not. because of this i have to try to memorize and plan out how social situations will go because i draw blanks everytime. i cant even have sex with my gf because of performance anxiety. i also grew up being accused all the time from siblings and parents.

I live alone and have for pretty much all of my adult life, it's a nice life everything is quiet, nobody bothers you and you don't have to clean anyone else's mess. I only really go outside to work or go to the gym. Occasionally I'll go on tinder and get a date but other than that I'm alone

I would explain that a doctor, sometimes its hard to vocalise as you havnt attached words to a feeling just yet, as its mental, perhaps explain how it arises and how it effects your life and the problems it causes. You dont have to be a slobbering husk of a human for them to help you, people have good and bad days. It seems yoi are just accustomed to hearing others tell you thats "life" or "suck it up", when the people saying that dont honestly understand how bad anxiety or depression can make simple things seem impossible. One thing i thought was complete BS was guided meditation, my doctor told me to do one and it was surprisingly nice, felt very at ease for hours after despite how hesistant i was going in, can find them free online if you want to try one.

Would you like a roommate? I'm neat and quiet.

i have trouble vocalizing and explaining pretty much everything, not just at doctor visits. even my own thoughts its hard to put into words. i often lose track of how things arise, so i keep a pen and paper by me, but also often struggle with writing it down, especially in words that i'll remember the next day or week from then.
those people that dont understand panic and anxiety, they make it harder cause its like they dont believe you. i would love to try one of those if you dont mind. never heard of guided medication