I have a shitty lil midi keyboard and ableton live. now what? where do i start? what do i do...

i have a shitty lil midi keyboard and ableton live. now what? where do i start? what do i do? my goals are to make electronic music and play festivals. obviously long term. i still just dont know where to start though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EtqN6830ccY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

start by killing yourself IMMEDIATELY

buy the full version don't use the version that came with the keyboard, trust me, it's worth it, and you get a discount

>i still just dont know where to start though.
taking music lessons

youtube.com/watch?v=EtqN6830ccY

start at this level or try to bypass it up completely

i'd say learn music and how to use the program

the keyboard is from a friend, arturia minilab. im pretty sure its trash but its a start

i have a few wigger friends who think they can spit once they snort enough charlie. could probably throw them some beats as practice

so you're not using ableton lite?

i have the full version.

helps to hasve solid ppl around that dont put up wit bullsh

meant to reply to

aces man, do you have any formal piano/musical training

played set on and off for about 10 years, was in high school band for 2 years on drumline. thats it though. nothing formal besides highschool.

get a keyboard with atleast 61 keys and learn how to play it and learn subtractive synthesis

learn the basics of playing the piano, maybe buy a book, learn some music theory, if you actually learned your rudiments you should be able to make beats. Don't expect to just bang out notes and make great music.

2nd step?

right on, thanks for the replies

Im sort of in the same boat as you, OP.
Just watch some basic Ableton tutorials, staty learning basic music theory and piano. Then just fuck around and have fun in ableton until you get the feel for everything. Don't be afraid to try a different DAW either. Most DAWs do all the same shit, just different ways to approach it

>he already bought ableton
>using something other than ableton

How does FL compare to Ableton?

Ableton is better, but they're both inferior to Bitwig. (Pronounced "Beet - veeg"; German company.)

What makes Ableton better?
What makes Bitwig best?

Honestly, I agree that Bitwig is better than Ableton after using Ableton ~2 and Bitwig

i didnt buy ableton senpai (~:

FL Studio isn't bad, but Ableton has a much more professional feel. FL Studio is more "branded", while Ableton is like a workbench tool.

FL generally expects the user to use their plugins, interface, and workflows. They're not bad for certain kinds of songs, but everything in the application points you in that direction. Some features suck.

Ableton makes all instrument and effect plugins first class citizens, regardless of whether they're Ableton-developed or 3rd party. Also, Ableton actually has a reasonable way of adding parameter automations. FL Studio quickly clutters your project if you want to make a lot of automations.

Ableton feels somewhat barebones (except for core features related to live performances, like mixing and looping) because they know their audience cares more about their plugin collection than their DAW.

Bitwig is aware of this too, and provides great plugin integration and a wonderful automation interface. It easily lets you get it out of the way of your plugins and track arrangement, and provides a well-designed and aesthetic interface (sort of like how Apple had better UI/UX than the competition).

It also helps that Bitwig isn't really live-performance oriented. I dislike live-oriented DAWs like Ableton and Maschine. And, thankfully, it has no problem with live performances, either.

It's still new and has some bugs and missing features, but it usually lets me do what I want easily.

Ableton generally suggest that you should build with loops from the live view, Bitwig generally suggest that you construct a track horizontally

I agree that the "live view" in Ableton is a distraction and ends up hurting it, and working from the horizontal view in Ableton isn't much fun DESU

Ableton is good for live though, that's what it is made for. It's also quite good for MIXING and mastering though if you just pop in audio tracks and work from that perspective it's actually pretty good

Modes

Come back in 12 months when you're done.

watch youtube tutorials, that's the best advice someone could give you ever