Scientists reverse aging in mammals and predict human trials within 10 years

telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/12/15/scientists-reverse-ageing-mammals-predict-human-trials-within/
archive.is/nZ8Th

How will this affect society?

Will older people finally stop trying to fuck over younger people? Will people start caring about the long term effects of changes in our society because they now might actually witness those effects that become evident after hundreds of years? Will we enact some sort of population control - if you take rejuvenation therapies, you'll need to get on Vasalgel so you can't reproduce or something? Will this be the last nail in the coffin for marriage and monogamy? Will people become even more degenerate now that they can be young and healthy for as long as they live? Women won't have to settle for beta bucks when they hit 35 because they don't lose their looks, they can still ride the cock carousel and pop bottles at clubs. How will people cope when someone dies? How will parents cope when their kids die before them? Will it be legal to fuck some girl who's physically 12 years old but has been alive for 80 years? Will suicide rates skyrocket because people are so fucking bored?

If your sole contribution to this thread is "lol, only elite/Jews will get to use this and the rest will be shipped to camps" then stay the fuck away. /x/ is that way --->

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Iyx1kc7cvI
youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg
youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE
news.vanderbilt.edu/2015/06/30/new-model-of-cosmic-stickiness-favors-“big-rip”-demise-of-universe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you really want to live forever, forever and ever?

I do. I've been terrified of dying since I was 10

yes

People will still die of accidents. Having kids will become more expensive.

>"lol, only elite/Jews will get to use this and the rest will be shipped to camps"
This is a valid concern though

1st. Overpopulation turbo mode
2nd. Societies progress with the death of older generations. If people was able to star around for ever probably social progress would get stuck or slow down.

I'd be hesitant with any scientific revelation by plebeian media

I've never understood people being afraid of death, please explain. Are you christian and terrified of hell or something?

No. I know that there's no heaven or hell after death, and that I'll simply be gone, forever ending my consciousness.

>social progress

so what's the problem, it's just like when you are very drunk or like when you are sleeping

>Will older people finally stop trying to fuck over younger people?
lol no. remember In Time?

Except it's nothing of the sort.

It's not, because there would be no waking up afterwards, and no dreams either.

"Life is beautiful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition between the two that tends to cause problems."

So what? Like you said, your consciousness has ended at that point

Not everyone is suicidal, you fucktard, some people like living and want to keep doing it for many years to come.

I shall take every anti-aging treatment possible and continue my safe NEET ways to avoid death until I can have my brain ripped out and put in a cool cyborg body.

Old age actually does serve a valid biological function--it prevents overpopulation. If everyone were 25 their entire life, they would fuck and have so many kids that everything would get overpopulated and we all die or something.

Yeah, that's what I'm terrified of. I'd like to keep on existing forever, if possible.

Only death gives life any meaning, face up to it you faggy manchildren.

not being afraid of death ≠ being suicidal

I don't think anyone would mind dying. We all gotta go eventually. It's more a case of...oh, it would be nice if we didn't spend our final years shitting ourselves in a rest home.

I want to be forever young.

It's not so much being afraid of death, but seeing it as a huge inconvenience. When you stop existing you can't ever live to see space elevators, experience simulated utopia, feel wonder and joy once again and lots more.

States would probably instate a policy where whoever gets the immortality treatment also gets sterilized.
>Will it be legal to fuck some girl who's physically 12 years old but has been alive for 80 years?
I don't think reverse aging would be able to undo the physical changes brought by adolescence, as it is a completely different process from aging.

ahahaha
youtube.com/watch?v=-Iyx1kc7cvI

I'm pretty sure you'd grow tired of it eventually

On the contrary, the Earth alone can sustain almost a trillion people if technology has advanced enough so it doesn't take so many acres to serve your beef salisbury. Perhaps you will print your food, idk.

But even so, people just have to keep expanding towards the stars.

Or we just all wait until the singularity happens hopefully in a few decades and let the ourselves and our minds be consumed by the Matrix to live eternally in an artificial lucid dream.

yeah and manna could fall from heaven via a hovering robot ship
i always hated this commie technocracy vision desu. technology has a cost. even if money were to be replaced, everything would still have a cost, and some people would still abuse it over other people that can't afford that cost

>I want to be forever young.
me too ;_; youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg
I'd have the choice of ending my own life the way i like whenever I want to, then, instead of dying a miserable blob in a hospital bed

>the singularity
>hopefully in a few decades
I'm sorry to wake you up, but you won't see your artficial lucid dream for another 100 years.
Technology and ethics progress too slowly.

If you want to not get old, the best thing you can do is off yourself at 70.

Just make 90% of people infertile as part of the deal to have anti-aging treatment.

If you're not afraid of death you clearly don't value your own existence, if you don't fear death why not just kill yourself now to avoid having to deal with all the troubles of life?

It's because you actually do fear death and you're just some retarded faggot trying to make himself feel like a big strong badass that doesn't afraid of anything.

I'm fucking terrified at the idea of dying, I'll do anything I can to become virtually immortal, I want to continue sitting alone in a room that smells like cum and piss, masturbating until the heat death of the universe, it's better than dying.

When a child turns 12 for the first time, give him a choice: fertility or immortality.
If you choose immortality, you will age until you are 18, and then stay that age forever, but you can never produce children.
If you choose fertility, you will live as a regular human, like we all are right now.
Problem solved.

(interestingly it's highly likely that most men would pick immortality, while most women would pick fertility. meaning that if a woman wants to make a child, she has to try out tons of men to find one that is fertile. this would be a HUGE shift in gender dynamics, because suddenly fertile men are the most sought after object, while women are worthless)

shut up

Does that mean I can become a 42 year old trap with a 14 year old's body?

>Will older people finally stop trying to fuck over younger people?
Oh my god I know
give young people a chance gosh

>it's highly likely that most men would pick immortality, while most women would pick fertility
Holy shit, it's going to be like in Haramase Simulator

>at 70
too old
off yourself now. put a cam on for us if possible

So what you're saying is baby boomers will live forever? Cool stuff.

>expecting them to make this kind of choice at 12

Why?
that's even worse than the faggots making 8 year old boys take shots of estrogen and getting away with it by calling everyone transphobic.

Nah this won't become a reality in time for them.

much worse news then: millenials will live forever
and the obvious reason is: so they nevermore retire and can still work and work.... IF millenials worked that is

The oldest boomers will be about 80 in 2027 which is when they're supposed to start dying off in large numbers

However the largest cohort of boomers are those born during the late 1950s

Hence a large number of boomers would end up prolonging their lives

That is terrible reasoning.

I can admit I'm afraid of dying a painful death, and I do not actively want to die. I just genuinely don't understand what's so terrifying about death itself. The way I see it your consciousness just ceases to be, what's so bad about that?

Your objection goes both ways, no matter how hard you try to stop progress someone somewhere will always gain access to it, some country will allow it, or will develop it independently. Might as well get in front of the herd while you can.

>However the largest cohort of boomers are those born during the late 1950s
Birthrates peaked in the mid-'50s and started dropping off in Eisenhower's second term.

>tfw immortality could be possible during your lifetime but you're a morbidly obese autistic weeaboo who's probably going to die of a heart attack before it happens

I'm sorry, you have to keep being healthy until 120.
We'll make it though! Keep the dream alive!

The fact that you currently know nothing about the state of non-existence except that it's irreversible. That's a perfectly good justification not to die, at least until someone determines it's better to be dead, or not.

Because if you wait any longer than that, they would be able to have children and then say "lol now im picking immortality".
Sure it's a tough choice, but if they regret being infertile they can always adopt starving Africans
is that game good? i'm going to download it

Works good. Retire at 65, enjoy your retirement for 5 years, then be euthanized. No more dementia, unsafe elderly drivers, catheter commercials on daytime TV, etc.

genophage

Because I don't want to cease to be, I want to continue to experience things and see humanity advance, I have so many things I want to do, I'd prefer if I didn't even have to waste thousands of hours sleeping.

You have to find a better solution. Your reasoning is a bit like Trump's; you're right in recognizing that a problem exists but the solution is just ridiculous, a 12 year old can't make that choice.

>no matter how hard you try to stop progress someone somewhere will always gain access to it
yeah yeah, pic related, yaaarh

>is that game good? i'm going to download it
It's entartaining, but quite grindy

Eh, I guess. I just don't see it as "being dead", I see it as the end of the road, after which there is absolutely no consciousness, nothing. Can't really suffer if you're not conscious

I'm sorry, are you actually doubting this?

I'm guessing NK didn't actually test nuclear devices already, every single report confirming nuclear detonations must be wrong.

You can't stop progress once technology becomes so cheap and advanced a kid in his garage could accidentally pull it off.

When exactly does old age start though? Opinions seem to vary.

Suffering implies a conscious experience but there is a chance being dead is worse than being alive. You can always kill yourself but you can't resurrect.

no but the world's population will grow too large to sustain and everyone will live horrible lives

The world is a tough place, dude. Similar stuff is already happening everywhere in the world.
In the USA, baby boys get circumsized against their will.
In Africa, baby girls get circumsized against their will.
In Germany, it's pretty much decided whether you will be able to study at a university when you are 10 years old (based on your elementary school grades).

20s-30s are young adult, 40s-50s are middle age, 60s are a transitional decade between middle and old age, and old age is 70 and up.

My mother always told me two wrongs don't make a right.

In practice no one has devised a better solution for your school system. That barbaric practices like circumcision continue being imposed on kids doesn't mean we should add one more to the list if we can devise a better alternative.

Who's to say the hindus or the buddhists aren't right? Yes, there might be a chance being dead is worse than being alive, but there also might be a chance you get reborn after you die.

HE's correct though

Absolute growth != % growth

Shouldn't women technically ''self-sterilize'' at one point? I mean, they have a limited supply of egg cells even if they're immortal. Not that this would mitigate overpopulation much.

Except that chance isn't considered to be realistic unlike the other two, because there is no argument to support it, even a heuristic one. There's a chance a bar of solid gold will quantum-tunnel it's way from the ECB's vaults right to my desk but you don't see me planning my life around that.

>and everyone will live horrible lives
Yes everyone..

Reminder that existence is overrated and 30-50 years after your death nobody will even remember that you existed.

It's going to suck for a lot of us. I'm ugly, but when I get old that won't matter any more. If everyone is suddenly young again I'll have to live with being ugly forever.

ffs, because I don't want my life to stop
there is always so little time
and I want to see the future

Maybe I'm dumb as a rock, but are there really any solid arguments regarding what happens after dying? In my mind your guess is as good as mine. Some scenarios might seem more realistic than others but it's still just guesswork

If you've worked your entire life and have money saved up, you will probably afford to have a clone of yourself made and your brain transplanted there in some advanced medical facility in Singapore.

People are underestimating the power of forever.

It's mostly guesswork but some scenarios simply aren't plausible given our modern understanding of the world, while you can make a solid guess that being dead is either better or worse than being alive, on average.

I DONT WANT TO BE BURIED
IN THE PET
SEMATARY
I DON'T WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE AGAIN

this is the most fedora post I've ever read on here that wasn't bait or posted ironically

no, what i'm saying is that there will be no utopia
if every authority abuse is responded with theft and terrorism, you can hardly call it "pax technologica"
>technology becomes so cheap and advanced a kid in his garage could accidentally pull it off
pfffffffffft you optimist

>clones
>not going going full ghost in the shell and turning into a cyborg that shoots rockets out his wrists
come on now

immortality is not the same thing as solving aging or undeath

The fact that there won't be a utopia doesn't mean the future won't be bright for people who have developed highly specialized or important skills and can sell them on a contractual basis or for people who are enterprising.

kek
But it's not that far fetched, cloning a human body and doing it cheaply isn't that far off, I know BGI supplies a steady stream of cloned pigs for example.
Brain transplant and rocket wrists will probably take a while longer.

Kek, it's an aggravated post

>Societies progress with the death of older generations. If people was able to star around for ever probably social progress would get stuck or slow down.

The reason why older people are conservative is because they lose the ability to learn through aging.

that's ridiculous, it goes at the opposite of what death is for, evolution and preventing "obsolete" humans from wasting resources.

Eternal exterior youth I'm ok with that but we must not be "immortal".

hahahahahahahahaha
keep on dreaming, nice guy. gotta love your kind of folks

>The reason why older people are conservative

Because all those old leftist baby boomers from back in the day like the Clintons became Republicans? Derp.

It's funny that you are so adamant in preaching your fully dystopian vision when no one here is even claiming a utopia.

But again, nobody's got a problem with dying. A normal human lifespan of 70-80 years would be fine if you didn't get old and decrepit at the end.

>implying goys will get anywhere near that

i'm treated like a morlock now anyway

People physically living forever (which is likely impossible) would still "die" as their personality changes and they forget things eventually developing into entirely different person. I'd go as far as to say it already can happen even with out current lifespans in some cases.

>tfw 500 years old
>still no gf

youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

>hurr durr we can live forever young
>we can print hamburgers, noice
>imma gunna jack into the eternal lotus eater machine and be with mai waifu guise
admittedly, that's not only you but when you reply to me "bright for people with developed specialized skills" then ahah... ahahaha.... WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Just buy a sexbot to be your gf

Yes.

Are you just here for shitposting? Because all of the claims ITT are based on real world achievements, including printing a hamburger.

And again, the only one here preaching from the absolute is you, I'm actually dealing with the real world, while you're either too slow to process these things or here to outright shitpost.

>he doesn't know that aging has already been successfully reversed

Errors in protein folding will kill you from cancer soon enough even if natural aging stopped. Even inoring that, you cannot live forever in any event since the Universe itself will not live forever. The Big Rip is only 20-100 billion years away, and it will lead to complete and total destruction of everything ever.

See eg. news.vanderbilt.edu/2015/06/30/new-model-of-cosmic-stickiness-favors-“big-rip”-demise-of-universe/

Nobody asked you here Eraclitus