Magma

But trendsetters can be capitalized upon which I believe Pink Floyd did

beatles literally capitalized on themselves

checkmate

>Hella
I'm not particularly familiar with them but no fucking way

>Liking the Final Cut or Momentary Lapse
Camel and ELP.

King Crimson is an acceptable response but.. Riff raff.. Cmon..

>I've listened to that one album thats on the chart but no

ELP is the worst fruity prog you can opt for retard, at least go for Genesis or Yes
Camel is great though

In most genres that is a checkmate.. But I believe Pink Floyd has a more impressive discography

I actually dont know what you're talking about but I saw them play over 15 years ago

I picked ELP because they were consistent throughout their discography. Half of Yes' work is gutter trash.

right, you're going to completely dismiss a bands discog based off a a live show they played in their early years of being a band
aces

Off the top of my head
Chick Corea
Genesis
National Health
Egg
Jean-Luc Ponty

I'm not gonna lie
I love Hella but There's No 666 in Outer Space is shiet

Frank Zappa? Depends on what exactly you mean

no I'm just saying I'm not someone who just knows them from whatever chart you're talking about

I was downstairs watching sebadoh act like idiots when suddenly I heard a noise...

The Mothers of Invention had an incredible run.

Freak Out is one of rock's first double albums and is full of experimental pieces.

Absolutely Free is an operetta with all killer and no filler.

We're Only In It For The Money is a hybrid of satire, avant garde electronic mixing and good old fashioned fun.

Uncle Meat is an epic collage of monumental fragments, each exploring different realms of music's majesty. Everything from model jazz to spoken word to doo wop can be found.

Burnt Weenie Sandwich takes those classical albitions to their logical extreme, creating a wonderfully dense whirlwind of tight musicianship and mind bending arrangement.

All of this in 5 years.

I haven't heard anything after and I skipped Ruben & The Jets because it has little to do with the rest of their work (hence the different name). Hot Rats is a Zappa solo side project worth checking out at well.

This is the kind of response I was looking for..
A lot of impressive/trendsetting stuff but...
Are there any bands that span through as many generations as Pink Floyd does? My grand father loved them, my father saw them live their main years (dark side, wish you were here) and they have remained one of my favorite bands through about 15 years( I'm 25currently)

Bob Dylan immediately comes to mind, I believe he's been active since '59.

His vocalization is just kind of hard to digest, ya know? I'm not knocking your response but.. My mother and father have said the same thing "His lyrics are great. But musically its something that could be refined a bit"

What your parents think of him aside, he's easily one of the most prolific, influential and talented artists in rock music

I agree with you. But there's something about Floyd that so many people love. And it's hard to explain I love Dillon but i am drawn to Pink Floyd no matter how I'm feeling

Quantity over quality,

Animal Collective

A lot of The Beatles early stuff is atrocious.

like what

As I recall they hit the ground running

Maybe if you had a time machine back to 1993

Richard D James

gee, it's a good thing bob dylan has both

Like im a big advocate for Floyd but we cant just pretend that Gilmours abominations didn't happen and weren't legally still pink floyd

not to say he's better than pink floyd but Elliott Smith was consistently great, even his b-sides

Another advocate for the Crimson King here. LtiA1 might just be in the running for best post-war piece, as good as something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond is it just doesn't have the same sophistication.

Mah NIGGAH!

>41 replies
>no Tom Waits
guys...

King Crimson is a better band.
Van Der Graaf Generator has a better discography.
If we're willing to separate band into eras, Gabriel-Collins-Hackett era Genesis is literally perfect.

Syd Barrett's discography is better than anything Pink Floyd ever put out imo

>ELP
>What is Works volume 2
>What is Love Beach
>What is Black Moon
>What is In The Hot Seat

I adore those guys but they turned to shit Brain Salad Surgery

after brain salad surgery*