Is this the best "trilogy" ever?

is this the best "trilogy" ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

thecrimson.com/writer/5793/Whit__Stillman/page/1/
newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whit-stillmans-love-friendship-subverting-the-social-order-with-style
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

when will him do the next movie

what do you mean?

he just put out a new movie

Just finished this myself. Excellent films, excellent extras. Watching em with Whit and Chris Eigeman commentary is crazy comfy. Having said that, it's such a lose trilogy it's hardly one at all. It makes sense to market em that way, but they share only some thematic similarities. Barcelona played a lot better for me the second time around. That score is terrific, Nichols' performance too. Stillman's an enormous talent.

>whit stillman

Oh fuck no. Could you be anymore of a tasteless pleb?

>crazy comfy

Ladies and Gentlemen, the typical moronic Whit Stillman fan.

Ok, (You). Summer weekends are just epic. Babby got some attention, happy now? Time to le troll the next thread?

Barcelona isn't as good sadly

Is this the first time Barcelona is being released through Criterion?

I will definitely buy this.

Now they just need to add Damsels in Distress.

I finally saw Barcelona for the first time yesterday and I thought it was great. Probably the weakest of the three but they're all great.

I need to pick up the Criterion.

Have you seen Love and Friendship yet? It's reeaally good.

human condition

I was reading a bit about him today and I came across a link to all of the articles he wrote for the Crimson when he was at Harvard.

thecrimson.com/writer/5793/Whit__Stillman/page/1/

he had his scathing wit in place already as an undergrad

All in all I prefer Barcelona to Disco now having seen it 2x and watched all the extras and stuff. It has a more emotional, maudlin core. The violence and overarching political stuff amongst the beauty really stands out. But Disco's awesome too.

Definitely get the Criterion, there's a sale within the next couple weeks I think, the commentaries are amazing.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Love and Friendship. Really sweet, really funny. Looked beautiful. As with all of his films, I look forward to seeing it again, now that I know it in its totality. Always a new appreciation. Beckinsale was terrific.

Thanks for this. I look forward to picking up his Love and Friendship adaptation/novel, and the Disco novel. The extras on Disco has a chapter and it's incredibly well written, obviously. He's a great writer. During the Disco commentary he talks gleefully about learning Kubrick was an enormous fan of Barcelona and wouldnt shut up about it on the set of Eyes Wide Shut. He was in awe of the dialogue moving the story forward. One of Stillman's great strengths obviously. One simple turn of phrase, comment, joke, etc could upend the plot or give it a new direction.

Beckinsale has delivered the performance of the year in that movie I'd say.

Metropolitan is your favourite eh? Disco is actually my favourite of the three, though I guess that's an unpopular opinion. I love the chemistry of Beckinsale and Sevigny in that movie and the editing world resonates with me.

Any idea when that sale is happening?

I was surprised by the political overtones and the emotional core of Barcelona which was certainly more overt than the other two. I'm sure I'll like it even more on a rewatch.

I have not seen many new films this year, but agreed her performance was exemplary. Glad she was able to do it in her native tongue too. If you have not already read it, Brody delivers a wonderfully written review: newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whit-stillmans-love-friendship-subverting-the-social-order-with-style

Metropolitan is probably my favorite just for being so fresh, youthful, ramshackle. He shot it under enormous financial and creative constraints and it really forms a labor of love. But Barcelona and Disco are masterful too.

I think the sale is early July, check r/criterion, those guys are on top of it. I got the trilogy a couple months ago w/ the last sale.

Agreed, it's a sort of shocking time/event in recent history I was ignorant to, the consulate bombing I mean and the general spanish antipathy to 'facist' American servicemen and tourists.

Same here. I don't usually think of the clearly pervasive effects of the Cold War in places like Barcelona.

Thanks for the Criterion tip, I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled. And I'll check that review too despite being somewhat prejudiced against Brody's critical acumen.

I think my two favourite movies of the year are comedies broadly speaking, which I can't recall being the case for a long time. The other being Everybody Wants Some.

Literally who

you sound like you probably have a lot of insightful, knowledgeable opinions about film

Just finished these. underrated as heck

agreed