The universe is unfathomably big, filled with countless galaxies, star systems, habitable planets and lifeforms...

The universe is unfathomably big, filled with countless galaxies, star systems, habitable planets and lifeforms. It has been around for roughly 14 billion years and it may not even be the only one. Our own planet has been around for around 4.5 billion years with life having formed 4 billion years ago. It took all that time for a species to arise, that was capable of conquering the foodchain and stepping out of the natural process of evolution. Even then it took hundreds of thousands of years of struggling to survive, conflict and war for our modern civilisation to arise.

Never has it been easier for human beings to live. Today we are living in the most peaceful times our species ever witnessed. We discovered science, electricity and quickly propelled technology to a magic-like state. We went from photography to convincing virtual reality in less than two hundred years and our technological progress is growing exponentially. The only limit seems to be our own imagination and we are about to overcome even that with the rise of artificial intelligence. In another two hundred years, unless we destroy ourselves, we will be able to create realities, that are indistinguishable from actual reality and even capable of creating realities within themselves. All this within much less than a millienium.

Knowing all this, how likely is it really, that we are the first species to reach this state? Furthermore, how likely is it really that what we perceive as reality, is not simulated as well? Almost all of nature is based on fractals - infinitely complex patterns that are self-similar across different scales - from the basic structure of the universe to the patterns of flowers on earth. Is it not likely that we are part of a simulated reality within a simulated reality ad infinitum? One of the most intriguing questions would be: is there even an original reality? If the nature of reality is truly fractal, then the answer would be no.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some specie gotta be the first, if thats us, we will probably not know

I think is a better place for those questions, due Sup Forums is a hurr durr fast board

Universe ain't as big as yo momma and it smell better too, she got da stanky cooch.

thanks for that.. really cool concept.

apu no simlatred

My mind seems to enjoy thinking about the possibility that our reality is infinitely recursive on LSD a lot.

Tl;dr

>3 paragraphs is too hard to read durr
Not even OP but Jesus you're sad.

Bump

That's my main theory too. "God" is just a member of a highly advanced society. The question is why did they make us?

it it statistically very unlikely we are living in "base reality"
>one in trillions

youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

only three ish mins long, elon musk breaks down the probability in a very easy to understand way.The argument itself is so logical it is almost unsettling.

>
I said one in trillions, meant billions.

The problem with our universe being a simulation is the same problem with a God creating the universe. If you believe the Big Bang theory that states the universe came from nothing (which most physicists do), then there would be no time or space for a programmer to create the simulation we live in.

Nigger you stupid

The problem with our universe being a simulation is the same problem with a God creating the universe. If you believe the Big Bang theory that states the universe came from nothing (which most physicists do), then there would be no time or space for a programmer to create the simulation we live in.

Recent theory suggests a Higgs field predating the big bang.
Also, with theories of microverse or you know
>simulation
It's possible to create the big bang and allow math/science to do its thing

New fag can't update the page

>big bang theory suggests something came from nothing
How many times do I have to tell people like you you're retarded before it sinks in. NOWHERE in the big bang theory does it say that the universe arose from nothing. ALL IT SAYS IS THAT WE CANNOT KNOW WHAT REALITY WAS LIKE PRIOR TO THE BIG BANG. It could have been anything from nothingness to another 3 dimensional universe to a universe with >3 dimensions that a new universe arose within, or something entirely different from that.

I'm just going with stephen hawking on this one. The universe came from nothing.

fucking this

and this
and this

Explain how that works with the laws of thermodynamics retard

The laws of thermodynamics are confined within our universe so it's irrelevant in this context.

Read a hawking lecture. I'm not here to educate you retards or entertain your wild theories. I'm just parroting what Stephen hawking says and I'm going with his word of your guys'

What about matter can't be created nor destroyed (we're aware it can be converted)

Not that I'm defending the whole "something coming from nothing" bullshit but you do realize thermodynamics only apply to our 3 dimensional universe right? If actual nothingness ever really existed (or didn't exist? idk), it would not be bound by our laws of physics. Or any sort of physics for that matter.

You apparently can't wrap your mind around the concept of nothing. There were no laws, no dimensions, no space or time. And there's a reason 90% of the scientific community believes the universe came from nothing (the Big Bang theory). Source: someone who's actually done some leitimate research and isn't spouting wild theories

If he actually said that, he's talking out of his ass. Just because he knows how our universe's physics works does not qualify him to guess what came before it.

But I'm more inclined to believe that he never said that any more than Darwin ever supposedly "renounced evolution on his deathbed," which is a complete falsehood.

>legitimate research
OK tell me how something can come from nothing while remembering

>There were no laws, no dimensions
And how is that not exactly what I fuckin said?

Dude, watch a hawking video. Read a hawking lecture. It's not my job to educate you on basic (widely accepted) theories.

You made a claim, and even said hawking supported it. But you have no sources

This is not a scientific paper. Google this shit yourself, m8

Fucking google it. Jesus Christ....

"Hawking a brief history of time"

i think we took the same acid m8

Thats cause on lsd it is, kek. Thats cause on lsd it is, kek. Thats cause on lsd it is, kek.

Why did you feel the need to say that 3 times? That's not what recursion is.