What's the first operating system you remember using?

what's the first operating system you remember using?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_card_sorter
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Old school Mac. I remember Oregon trail, I remember playing some weird connect the dot game but circus themed. Dont know what the OS was called.

windows 3.1 playing doom and shit

i wish i could remember the name of that dot game

Windows 3.1

Fuck bro I just started googling and ran into more. Find Carmen San Diego, Word Munchers, Mavis Beacon

DOS, booted from a 5.25" floppy

windows xp

uea that's some old shit

underage b&

are you 13? fag

not b8 but k

PEMDAS

Disk Operating System.

Whatever flavor of DOS ran on the Sanyo MBC-550 series.
Unless you count the on-ROM BASIC of the ZX-81.

apple dos

windows 98

My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum 48ko in the mid 80's with Basic ...then played with some amstrad and commodore 64 before the apple 2c .. Atari 1040st in the 90's ... first MacIntosh then my PC with windows 95 was mid 90's..

sensiblechuckle.jpg

If it wasn't black and white, it wasn't truly ancient.

dos 6.2 and mac os 6.0.2

mah niggga

dos
A://

2c. Remember Amiga? How about Neo Geo when it was a home system?

>BASIC of the ZX-81.
I remember that. ..

damn, how'd you get in to pcs?

Green and white if im not mistaken. I remember the color macs came out almost right afterwards

C:/DOS
C:/DOS/RUN
RUN/DOS/RUN

nice quads

Yup. Remember disk swapping? Holy frustration.

I had this thing called GEOS for my Commodore 64. For those of you that had a C-64, you remember it booted in basic. it wasn't quite as bad as an apple booting in DOS, but pretty close. Anyway they made this GEOS thing. Pretty cool.
>commodores were on the cutting edge. Color screen. Color printer. graphic operating system.

>Remember Amiga
Sure... Big rivality between atari and amiga. ..

Windows XP because i live in a poor ass country and only got a computer at age 17.
I used to play a shitload of those little cartridge games (not on a nintendo or other console,family too poor,just some 20$ handhelds with 1$ cartridges,piss poor games).
I didn't play any games on the computer itself until WAY later,though. First game was Warcraft 3,given to me by a classmate through CD,played the fuck outta that game,he had so many custom maps. I must have spent 2000+ hours on Warcraft 3 alone.

things haven't changed in 30 years

Computers felt like something mythical in those days. We had a 2c with a mini monitor in my classroom(grade school). Comp science was Basic coding and learning about Fortran and Cobol.

what do you use now? where are you from?

>fortran
>Sup Forums
>wew

>disk swapping
Disk?? Whe had tapes... 5 1/4 disk came longtime after

Yeah haha, Man good times

Apple DOS 3.3 on an Apple IIe

Yup. But outside of gaming, Amiga never caught in. Like Neo Geo. $500 for the system, $100 a cartridge (around the time of Turbo Graphics 16).

any pics?

My Parents had punch cards in stacks. We win. Said if you got a card out of place you were screwed.

Amiga has one of the best 16 bit painting software at that time ... Ataris with his standard midi connection was always big in the music industry

Mac OSX 10.4
I've converted now

nice dub dubs but wat

some IBM os on a school compy
Win 95 on first home PC

As outdated as that tech is now, it was huge by comparison to its predecessors. Micro computers that weighed hundreds of pounds. I removed when my Dad brought home a hand set modem with the cups. Thought it was so
High tech.

>I remember playing some weird connect the dot game but circus themed
>i wish i could remember the name of that dot game

I believe you mean Rocky's Boots. (pic related)
You're welcome.

This.

The Mac for Oregon trail back in the late 90's. I went to a public school so yeah.. talk about underfunded.

Remember. Or even much later dial up where you screwed it up by picking up the phone.

Windows XP.
It was the shit man.

if only the days lasted

DOS.
Played some sweet games on it too. Wish I could remember what they vere called.

Anyone recognize a game from that era where the main character had a goofy helmet with antannae(?)
my memory is a bit fuzzy because I'm old but it took place on a space station or some shit.

it was standard music tapes...

commander keen?

Solaris

windows 95

Times New Roman

woot OT --more text than graphics; millennials likely couldn't stand the game
RIP your family.

Alien8 was one of my favorite games at that time .. 1985

oh fuck! that's it!
thanks user! I'm going on a serious nostalgia binge

gawd my sides, best pepe i've seen for awhile

DEC PDP-8

12-bit operating system with front panel entry for boot and punch card / paper tape for input output.

Wrote my first COBOL programs on that beauty.

>Newfags not using Times Old Roman
BYZANTII EUNT DOMUS

np user played that game when i was 5 and somehow remember it
thx bb

Love the Speccy.

I worked for Vortex in Manchester during the early 1980's and did the background animations for things like Alien Highway and Highway Encounter with Mark Haigh-Hutchinson.

Punch card seems pretty infuriating.

>Punch card seems pretty infuriating.

You certainly didn't want to drop the box of cards.

I can imagine. How many cards in a stack, typically?

can you explain how this works? and how it became such sjw bullshit 30 years later?

BASIC 1.0 on my Amstrad CPC464 back around 1984 or so.
Fucking staring at a green monitor for 20 mins for Harrier Attack to load.

>Block 01
>Block 02

pretty bad-ass that this existed in 1986

This is stacks of punch cards used to form math equations. Cards with punches or perforations that when placed in order, feed the machine a series of commands. Stacks of cards.

>I worked for Vortex
wow.. i remember the vortex games...

glad to see a lot of oldfags come out. this is a good thread

Apparently if you dropped your stack, you started over. And it took awhile to get the cards in order and fed in. Im going on what I was told about it.

You wrote the code out by hand on coding sheets (like grid paper with line numbers) and then handed it to a room of women who transcribed the coding sheets onto punchcards using something like a mechanical typewriter.

You got about 20 instructions per card, so to have a COBOL program of 200 cards or more was not unusual, especially as a lot of the stuff was mandatory.

You then fed the cards into an actual computer for compilation which took between 20-minutes and an hour and would get back a printout of all the compilation errors, then you had to redo the punched cards to reflect any errors

...rinse and repeat...

Writing a decent programme typically took 2 to 4 weeks this way and the money was exceptional.

>Harrier Attack
yesssss.......

>Apparently if you dropped your stack, you started over. And it took awhile to get the cards in order and fed in. Im going on what I was told about it.

No. They had electro-mechanical machines called sorting and collation machines (IBM naturally) that could resort them, but it took time and had to be booked in with a member of the operations team.

>and did the background animations
still in the videogame insustrie?

>wow.. i remember the vortex games...

Sad to say that Mark Haigh-Hutchinson died of pancreatic cancer some years ago.

Wonderful guy he was, fantastic programmer as well. Knew how to streamline the shit out of games to get them to run fast and smooth on the Speccy.

>still in the videogame insustrie?

Nope. Video games are for the young. I'm a consultant project manager nowadays.

ow did you end up here?

Thank you for clearing that up. That's a process.

>No. They had electro-mechanical machines called sorting and collation machines (IBM naturally) that could resort them, but it took time and had to be booked in with a member of the operations team.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_card_sorter

This sort of thing...

humans are pretty cool

Either Windows 98 or one of the old school Macintosh systems.

>ow did you end up here?

Sup Forums can be fun when your not acting like retards.

It's fascinating. IBM was huge. A family member was an accountant there in Silicon Valley, mid 80's.

>humans are pretty cool

Sometimes. A lot of the stuff I'm talking about is pretty antiquated, but it brought us the computers and mobile phones we have today which is cool.

afraid you'll be bitten?

agreed and thanks for the most wholesome image i saved from Sup Forums

>It's fascinating. IBM was huge. A family member was an accountant there in Silicon Valley, mid 80's.

I never liked the IBM guys, they always saw themselves as better than everybody else.

The microcomputer revolution really fucked them even though they were one of the main reasons for it in the first place.

Pirates of Silicon Valley is pretty accurate in that regard.

yeah, though there is something to be said for the programmers of the 80's. they had to have a vision that nobody before them had