Steven Albini on the question "What is the most common mistake producers make"

Steven Albini on the question "What is the most common mistake producers make"

>Having the song fade out at the end. Would you read a book that ended with the words getting smaller and smaller until they were illegible? Would you go out for a meal where the waiter kept taking away food from your plate, never allowing you to taste the delicious last bite? Fading the track out is a cliche, lazy, and avoiding the producers job, to put the exclamation point on the end of a great track.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TQonl6exhNU
youtube.com/watch?v=4B_hLI1B6HY
youtube.com/watch?v=ejcHVw09EJw
youtube.com/watch?v=urKnFuYHinA
youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_CPzuwSk4
youtube.com/watch?v=sKEzHie9tAI&t=1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it falls less on the producer as much as it doe's the artist/band to write an ending to the song, cuz that's usually why I fade out

bad producers BTFO

That's a weirdly arbitrary thing to get upset about.

REMINDER OP'S QUOTE IS A LOAD OF MADE UP BULLSHIT

REMINDER A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH WOULD TELL YOU OP IS FULL OF SHIT

REMINDER YOU'RE A RETARD IF YOU FALL FOR OP'S TRICK

oh, so this is where this meme opinion comes from

i've seen Sup Forumstants stumbling over themselves to bitch about fade-outs with some half-baked explanation for years, didn't realise it was an albini-ism

funny how evey mass opinion this board has can be traced back to someone like this guy, scruffy, p4k, melon, christgau etc.

fucking drones lol

>I know, instead of an argument, I'll just call this opinion a "meme" and call people who support it "drones"!

ITT: Good Albini production

STEVE ALBINI NEVER SAID THAT

FAKE AND GAY

FAKE AND GAY

REPEAT AFTER ME:

FAKE AND GAY

FAKE AND GAY

there's nothing to argue against, it's completely arbitrary and baseless in the first place

you might as well criticize any and all pitch correction, or any and all reverb, or any and all extended instrumental sections, or single out a specific vocal style

this thread is meaningless

honestly why do people on this board get so pissed off about fadeouts? yeah it is often be a lazy way to end a song but you guys talk about it like it has never been and can never be used to good effect.

he probably hates bands who ask him to do that instead of finishing their own song

Albini has never criticized song fadeouts. He used a fucking fadeout on Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory. Why does this board always fall for this shit? It seems like every few months some idiot will spam fake Albini quotes and every time everyone falls for it.

The stories and information posted here are fact.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as an artistic work of fiction and falsehood.

That's such a fucking stupid analogy.

Not him, but it is a meme. I have seen it memed all over this board.

I agree

didn't holst do some fade out shit in planets that when performed live for the first time totally btfo his audience mind?

there was some fancy artsy explanation for the utility of it too, but i dinnae recollect

Wrong, he said it at Music With the Masters 2014.
>if I can't google it it doesn't exist
Or you know, a 3 hour talk of interest to a small sect of people isn't magically transcribed so it can be filed in search engines

Man, that'd be avant-garde as shit. I'd so read a book like that.

Think the biggest mistake he's made is produce a pedophile's collection of accounts of sexual abuse on minors.

It's called "House Of Leaves" and it is an amazing book.

1. Then post a link to the talk
2. Even if he said it word-for-word that just makes him a hypocrite since as points out he produced an album that ends on a fadeout

Dubliners by Joyce ends in a fade out though

Post the proof, faggot.

what album is that?

>spoonfeed me wahhhh
Can't remember which one it was in
youtube.com/watch?v=TQonl6exhNU
youtube.com/watch?v=4B_hLI1B6HY
youtube.com/watch?v=ejcHVw09EJw
youtube.com/watch?v=urKnFuYHinA
youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_CPzuwSk4
youtube.com/watch?v=sKEzHie9tAI&t=1s

It's ridiculously obvious that this quote is fake because no man worth his salt would ever make a food analogy. You'd have to be the dumbest motherfucker alive to stoop that low.

I totally agree. It pisses me off when a song fades out. Plus we had this thread the other day.

at the end of neptune. he had a women's choir in another room and someone slowly closed the door at the end