Music theory elitists are the absolute worst pseuds in the entire artistic landscape...

Music theory elitists are the absolute worst pseuds in the entire artistic landscape. Asserting that knowledge of music theory is needed to appreciate music is like saying you can't appreciate Michelangelo's David because you don't know what grade of chisel was used to get the curvature on the pubes. You're absolutely missing the point, please just go into STEM where your autism can actually be useful.

visual arts major here
we have our own kind too, don't you fool youself

Actually, music theory not only lets you know how a piece is built, but also "why" it works. So go fuck yourself, useless unknowing piece of crap.

Honestly, I don't understand where that standpoint comes from. Music theory exists solely as a study of the generally accepted musical conventions of the past, not as a set of guidelines and restrictions for music as a whole.

can you explain why sister ray is the greatest piece of music of the 20th century?

its not necessary to make the case why a piece is good but it gives you a greater vocabulary to do so

also a lot of people with no knowledge of music theory try to make obnoxious critiques and assume them as absolute with literally no basis.

there was a thread on the "millennial whoop" the other day that was filled with people like that and it was disgusting

>Asserting that knowledge of music theory is needed to appreciate music
90% sure the ninnies on this board saying "if you like [X album] then you don't know shit about music theory" are just baiting. Even if you DID know music theory, you probably couldn't be assed to care without a score in front of you.

Well said OP.

>you can't appreciate a moment of sporting brilliance because you don't know the specific training routines and sports science measures which go into the pre-match preparation
>you can't appreciate how tasty a dish is because you can't name every spice used and don't know what heat it was cooked at
>you can't appreciate a video game because you don't know how the user interface was programmed

Sure, in the same way that learning biology can help you understand why sex feels good. But biologists don't have better sex.

>Asserting that knowledge of music theory is needed to appreciate music

Nobody does this.

Why did you make this thread?

Sister Ray? Give me the score, I'll check it out. But don't expect a good review from me.

So you're comparing music with biology now? Really clever.

Theory knowledge can enhance music listening, and if you're going to try and critique music you should probably know some stuff about theory so you don't sound stupid, but it's not necessary at all for casual listening.

You don't need to know music theory to appreciate music, you just understand the logical/creative side of it alot less.

>being this new

If you don't know music theory it's because you are lazy and don't care.

Shit senpai I didn't even realize he had individually carved pubes thanks for this post

what did you think michelangelo did

The truth, brought to you by dubs

Basically this
Literally just making random arpeggios in key and throwing in harmonies will make a good sounding song. If you're rigorously studying on how to write the perfect song you're a faget. It's better to learn some basics then experiment when writing.

You 'appreciate' that sculpture precisely because you don't know what's at play in it, it's not the same thing as true artistic appreciation, which relies on knowledge.
You're spouting romantic bullshit that became popular in the centuries following the french revolution. The big idea of romanticism was that virtue was not knowledge, and as such you didn't have to know how to be virtuous. Romanticism painted this picture of what might be called the 'noble savage;' the noble savage is a craftsman or a farmer living in an isolated pastoral landscape who despite not having any specialized knowledge of virtue somehow possesses a virtuous inner nature and a heart of gold etc etc.
The fact is, of course, that the noble savage is a myth, farmers are stupid hillbillies, and those that aren't, have specialized knowledge (e.g modern day industrial farmers).
True art (the creation of) is a matter of construction, not emotion, and not the indomitable will. Bach wrote entire pieces over a cup of coffee and yet those kind of works (works that were intelligently constructed) are the most emotional, most dynamical ones, because the awkwardness of the artist is nowhere to be found in them, they seem to be the product of some natural process, in the same way that plant life is.
All great composers have read the fux gradus, all great sculptors and painters have read vitruvius. This specialized knowledge of the structure of things creates art that is the most emotional. Any art that ignores these forms appears banal and uninspired, but to people who don't know about the aforementioned forms it might sound brilliant, because even a tiny light seems bright to those who live in darkness.

Dubs confirm

tl;dr, keep crying i guess lmao

I bet youre one of those assholes who put shitty inaccurate tabs on UG

this, op clearly feels oppressed not realizing it will enrich your perception and with that the experience of any art

nice case study you absolute faggot

Knowing more is never a bad thing, saying "it's not necessary" doesn't excuse ignorance

Spot on.

I agree, but i think that some knowledge of music theory is really better for composing

This still doesn't prove that studious, traditional theory is the driving force behind music. Idk if that is what you were trying to say

The most anti-intellectual thread yet

How can you clam too know shit about music if you havent even heard sister ray. You are the reason this board sucks baka

Cry more fag

I can't I'm 2 busy fucking you're mom lole!!!!!!!!!

>muh ding dong

>not realizing the set of knowledge to appreciate and create are not identical

No one's saying the sculptor shouldn't know which chisel to use. Genealogy can show where an idea comes from but not why it's wrong. The analogy of the noble savage doesn't hold since it only demonstrates that art can't be produced without training, not that it can't be appreciated, or that the skills for both are the same.

tl;dr Learn to think.

This guy's body is like mine with bigger muscles and a smaller penis

Imagine being so vain you compare yourself to Michelangelo's David

It's just an observation

This really.

The guy he was replying too had some good points too.

OP, the reality is the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Much like how you don't need to study marketing, economics and business concepts to start a successful company. Heaps of people have.

It's just more likely you won't waste time and make silly mistakes as you would have knowledge at your disposal to make the process more economic.

Yeah I got off track, ended up critiquing romanticism. But still you couldn't think your way out of a paper bag so don't come at me like that senpai.

You show 'em, op
those dumbass "educated composers" can't hold a candle to death grips and chance the rapper