Anybody else prefer the narrated version?

Anybody else prefer the narrated version?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dWH_P5YL8jA
youtu.be/aJxSflYuUsQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know about "prefer", but it definitely gives Deckard a lot more personality and relatibility than he has in the director's cut, which (intentionally or not) is a weird, cold, alienating viewing experience. Also fits in perfectly with the future-noir aesthetic.

Unfortunately the actual monologues are way too on-the-nose and Ford's delivery is monotone shit because he and Scott hated the idea for some reason.

Absolutely.

They took it out because nobody liked the delivery, but that's just how noir films sound. And Brade Runner is a noir film at its core.
You may be onto something with removing narrating=removing personality. Deckard is way colder in the book than the movie, so they may have tried bringing it closer to the source material post-release.

As far as the versions' endings go, get a copy of the movie with alternate/deleted scenes. The best one has Deckard and Rachel in the car, but talking and Rachel makes a comment about how they could have been "made for each other". If they wanted to keep up the ambiguity with if Deckard is human or replicant, this would be the best ending to use.

>Skin jobs. That's what Bryant called Replicants. He's the type of guy that used to call black men "niggers".

That's some edgy shit for a 1982 movie.

I've forgotten everything about the narrated version. Can you remember how the "Kiss me" scene went in the narrated version. Whenever I rewatch the final cut version...that scene just seems strange and always wondered if the original put their reactions in context

Yep.

The theatrical version is, like, a proper film. Whereas the Director's Cut is basically a very, very well-filmed M.Knight Shyamalan "twist" movie.

Blade Runner built it's reputation over years based on the theatrical version. Its not like the world had to wait for the director's cut before realising it was a great film, and that says something.

That fucking narration was complete shit.

>"I don't know.... WHAT.... made Roy ----- die.... THAT DAY..... maybe, he learned TO love. Perhaps, humanity can learn to LOVE---- and live----- ..... some day, TOO."

Thanks, Harrison, for the epic delivery.

Really? is it too early or too late to use "niggers" ? I think I heard it in a 70s movie once.

>get a copy of the movie with alternate/deleted scenes
I can't believe the Final Cut didn't have those. I was under the assumption that it included everything he wanted.

anybody defending the VO either grew up with it or is a contrarian. it's terribly written, terribly performed, redundant & literal, and fucks up several scenes, most notably batty's death. it was an afterthought (the movie wasn't written or shot with VO) and a concession to stupid people.

Sushi, that's what my wife called me, cold fish. Classic

Narration has no place in film. If I wanted an audio book, I'd read an audio book.

It's the tool of the lazy writer who can't or doesn't want to figure out how to reveal character or exposition through the story. The movie was better without it.

The only version I have seen is the narrated one a few months back and I remember thinking how awkward it felt. Like it was thrown in as an afterthought.

Good to know there is a version without it. I'll have to track it down.

Someone's read his Robert McKee

This is such a stupid thing to say.

this. each version has its pros and cons, but they do keep getting better and dropping the voiceover is essential.

TC - 7/10
DC - 8.5/10
FC - 9.25/10

the ultimate flawed masterpiece

You know it senapi

Thank you for backing that statement up with a rational argument expressing your opinion

same here I love it since as said by previous anons its just like those old time detective noir radio shows.

off topic: I have this channel I listen to if any of you are interested check it out its called audio noir. they play a bunch of old detective radio.

>shilling your terrible content in an unrelated thread

Gee, wonder who's behind this post...

lol it aint even my channel listen or dont I dont give a shit just thought people may like it.

You can't "shill" something that's free.

Apocalypse Now used narration perfectly, I thought having Willard expressing his thoughts while reading the dossiers was better than just having it read for the audience with no other input. He doesn't say much out loud over the course of the entire film which probably helps. They also got the proper writer John Milius to do it.

The VO in Blade Runner was poorly done, slapped together at the last minute and Harrison obviously wasn't having it.

>what are ads

>Thank you for backing that statement up with a rational argument expressing your opinion

"Rules" like that don't really apply to art. There are standards and basic guidelines, yes, and it's important to understand them. But every time you write down a "rule," someone will figure out a way to subvert it in a beautiful way.

Voiceover narration is FREQUENTLY used as a tool for exposition by lazy writers. That does not mean "voiceover narration has no place in film."

Spoilers ahead

He's 100% a replicant of course. Go watch it again and look at his eyes. I don't know how you missed it unless you're blind.

>that the glare isn't a representation of the timeless drama of "mans inhumanity to man"

Stop being a fuckboy. Go watch it again and pay attention as long as your dumb frogposting brain can handle.

your a tard they take donations dummy just cause people share shit doesn't mean they want your money retard

faggot...there is no doubt that its there...the question is why and which is a better thematic usage.

Dude, the small glint in his eyes is meant to show that's Deckard ACTING like a machine. Not that he necessarily is one.

This must have been the attitude that made Terry Zwigoff get rid of the narration in Bad Santa for the "director's cut", which made it unequivocally worse.

youtu.be/dWH_P5YL8jA
vs
youtu.be/aJxSflYuUsQ

They used it in Blazing Saddles once or twice.

it's significantly better without the narration

The narration is Mysterious Skin is beautifully written and delivered. And sparingly used.

Have you seen the entire movie? It's a comedy, and Billy Bob's narration features some of his best lines.